Namath slams Burress

Jetsfan80

Screw Completion Percentage!!!

Namath played in the American Football League where the best quarterbacks-you younger fans might want to sit down now, this might be a shock-threw the damn ball downfield almost every pass!

No, they didn't throw half their passes four yards sideways and let the running back make the yardage starting behind the line of scrimmage. If the football was transferred behind the line of scrimmage, it was by handoff or short lateral. Come to think of it, most of those laterals back then travelled farther in the air than a good deal of the "passes" today's QB's throw! When the QB went back to pass in the AFL, he was looking 12, 15 yards down the field.

I'd like to see today's crop of QB's throw the ball downfield most every pass and see what their stats and "passing rating" look like.

Suffice to say, Sanchez has averaged 12.1 yards per completion and 6.6 yards per attempt in his first two years.

It took Namath until his last year playing when he couldn't even walk, 1977 as a Ram, to post numbers that low.

But he was on a pass heavy offense, the exact opposite of our team over the last 2 years. What about completion % and interceptions? Do those become irrelevant all of sudden? Yards per completion is NOT as important as converting the first down, even with smaller yardage.

Namath:

Yr GP ATT COM YDS COM% TD INT

65 14 340 164 __ 2220 48.2 18 15

66 14 471 232 __ 3379 49.3 19 27

Sanchez:

Yr GP ATT COM YDS COM% TD INT

09 16 364 196 __ 2444 53.8 12 20

10 16 507 278 __ 3291 54.8 17 13

So Sanchez has better comp% numbers (you know the ones that everyone complains about) than Joe Namath in his first 2 years, plus way less picks. Namath 37 TDs to 42 picks, Sanchez 29 TDs with 33 picks on a run heavy offense, virtually the same in TD to INT ratio for the 2 years combined and very close yardage numbers. Could you imagine how badly people would be calling for Sanchez' head if he threw 42 picks in his first 2 years or even 27 in a single 14 game season? So if Namath was able to get better and bring us to the superbowl, what on earth makes you think Sanchez can't?

But he was on a pass heavy offense, the exact opposite of our team over the last 2 years. What about completion % and interceptions? Do those become irrelevant all of sudden? Yards per completion is NOT as important as converting the first down, even with smaller yardage.

Namath:

Yr Team GP ATT COM YDS COM% TD INT

1965 NYJ 14 340 164 2220 48.2 18 15

1966 NYJ 14 471 232 3379 49.3 19 27

Sanchez:

Yr Team GP ATT COM YDS COM% TD INT

2009 NYJ 16 364 196 2444 53.85 12 20

2010 NYJ 16 507 278 3291 54.8 17 13

So Sanchez has better comp% numbers (you know the ones that everyone complains about) than Joe Namath in his first 2 years, plus way less picks. Namath 37 TDs to 42 picks, Sanchez 29 TDs with 33 picks on a run heavy offense, virtually the same in TD to INT ratio for the 2 years combined and very close yardage numbers. Could you imagine how badly people would be calling for Sanchez' head if he threw 42 picks in his first 2 years or even 27 in a single 14 game season? So if Namath was able to get better and bring us to the superbowl, what on earth makes you think Sanchez can't?

Hmmm. If you can find anywhere in my post that I said I didn't think Sanchez can get us to the big game, I'll be happy to answer your question.

You're missing my entire point, which was that you can't compare quarterbacks of today to those of that era. Two completely different animals, two very different games.

I suggest you read my post again, young man.

Hmmm. If you can find anywhere in my post that I said I didn't think Sanchez can get us to the big game, I'll be happy to answer your question.

You're missing my entire point, which was that you can't compare quarterbacks of today to those of that era. Two completely different animals, two very different games.

I suggest you read my post again, young man.

Whatever you say, old man. My response wasn't to you only, it was to everyone who bashes Sanchez (including Namath). My response right below your quote was the only thing I was responding to you about because those stats are bugged. I'd even say Sanchez had a slightly better first 2 years. He had a worse first year, but a much better 2nd year than him. I know it's not EXACTLY the same as it was back then, but I mean accuracy doesn't really change all that much. You either put the ball in a good place to be caught or you don't. You mentioned you can't compare them, but then immediately said Sanchez doesn't have as many yards per attempt and yard per completion as Namath did. So you can't compare stats. EXCEPT THE ONES THAT HELP YOUR CASE LOL. Anyways it's not about your points, I just don't see why so many people rag on Sanchez when the one guy that got us to the superbowl had a worse 1st 2 years than him. I wasn't attacking you, I was defending our QB. What I said about a run heavy offense is true, and a lot of QBs go for the quick 1st down rather than longer passes these days.

Joe Namath calls it as he sees it. Until Plaxico Burress proves his worth here hes right on.

I hope he is wrong.

But his doubts are pretty valid!

Haha! I guess he's "right on," with "valid" doubts when he compares him directly to Braylon Edwards, then?

Joe Namath has been watching Plaxico Burress for several years, and in him he sees a wide receiver that reminds him a lot of Braylon Edwards -- and that's not a flattering comparison coming from Namath.

"When I see Burress, certainly in the past, and Edwards, their route running and adjusting, I didn't like it -- and I still don't," Namath told ESPNNewYork.com Tuesday.

If Edwards was any good at all despite Namath's opinion of him, Plaxico should be able to be better.

Haha! I guess he's "right on," with "valid" doubts when he compares him directly to Braylon Edwards, then?

Its his opinion and i respect that. And i am certainly not going to dismiss it just because it does not match mine!

Only difference being, IIRC Joe did have a not so pleasant opinion of Braylon before last season as well. But since then Braylon had a productive season with us.

Yeah but what does that have to do with the subject on hand. Nothing!

Namath playing when he knew he couldn't stay on the field... has nothing to do with him talking about a Superbowl MVP not being able to make it an entire year?

Namath playing when he knew he couldn't stay on the field... has nothing to do with him talking about a Superbowl MVP not being able to make it an entire year?

There is difference between decision and opinion. Don't you think ?

That all beside the point. The main thing being his concerns on Plax all valid concerns. Whether they come to fruition or not only time will tell!

Archived