Westerman vs. Maybin

AFJF

Alright, I was only able to watch one pre-season game this season (vs. Texans) and the one thing that stood out to me about Westerman is that he looked sloooooowwww. Maybin, while going against the 2's/3's, looked fast enough to get to the QB. From what little I saw, it seems Maybin was better than Westerman at getting to the QB which is Westermans "specialty". Did Westerman get any sacks in pre-season? None that I recall.

Just wasn't terribly impressed with what little I saw of him.

Alright, I was only able to watch one pre-season game this season (vs. Texans) and the one thing that stood out to me about Westerman is that he looked sloooooowwww. Maybin, while going against the 2's/3's, looked fast enough to get to the QB. From what little I saw, it seems Maybin was better than Westerman at getting to the QB which is Westermans "specialty". Did Westerman get any sacks in pre-season? None that I recall.

Just wasn't terribly impressed with what little I saw of him.

I've watched Westerman for the past two seasons and I'll be honest ... I just don't get what anybody, including the coaching staff, sees in this guy.

I'm not sayin' we should have kept Maybin over him, but I just don't understand the infatuation with Westerman.

I know Rex has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but I just don't get it.

westerman lost the "DPR" job in my mind, he can't rush for doody. maybin is a one trick pony who made the roster for a day on that one trick. maybin may come back, who knows.

I know Maybin might only be capable of doing one thing but from what I've seen, it's one more thing than Westerman can do. Again, I hope I'm wrong and Westerman has a nice year but man did he look slow.

westerman lost the "DPR" job in my mind, he can't rush for doody. maybin is a one trick pony who made the roster for a day on that one trick. maybin may come back, who knows.

Other teams were interested in him when the Jets signed him, I suspect someone will pick him up.

I liked the idea of him making the team because I agree with the premise of the thread: Westerman really hasn't impressed me, either.

Other teams were interested in him when the Jets signed him, I suspect someone will pick him up.

I liked the idea of him making the team because I agree with the premise of the thread: Westerman really hasn't impressed me, either.

yeah, the odds of it are long, but rex liked him, so if he doesn't stick somewhere, who knows maybe they make the move.

Bryan Thomas better be on the verge of stepping up opposite of Calvin Pace, because it's looking like Jamaal Westerman is the next best thing we have at OLB, which isn't a good sign. I've yet to see anything out of Westerman thus far.

Hopefully Bryan Thomas can have success with the pass rush. He's put up 8.5 sacks in 2006, 5.5 sacks in 2008 and 6 sacks last season... Hopefully he's able to put it all together this year, because I'd love to see Bryan Thomas put up a solid 7-9 sacks from the outside. Lord knows we'll need it.

Bryan Thomas better be on the verge of stepping up opposite of Calvin Pace, because it's looking like Jamaal Westerman is the next best thing we have at OLB, which isn't a good sign. I've yet to see anything out of Westerman thus far.

Hopefully Bryan Thomas can have success with the pass rush. He's put up 8.5 sacks in 2006, 5.5 sacks in 2008 and 6 sacks last season... Hopefully he's able to put it all together this year, because I'd love to see Bryan Thomas put up a solid 7-9 sacks from the outside. Lord knows we'll need it.

Thomas is close to the end of his career. He is what he is, a very solid OLB. He is not a 10+ sack a year guy. He brings some heat, good against the run, and pretty good in coverage. He is not the DPR

Designated Pass Rusher.

the team is willing to devote a roster spot to DPR when it's Jason Taylor. Not a project like Maybin. fwiw i've seen people say Taylor sucked last year, he had 5 sacks and 2 safeties that's pretty darn good. If Maybin was gonna produce like that he'd be here.

the team is willing to devote a roster spot to DPR when it's Jason Taylor. Not a project like Maybin. fwiw i've seen people say Taylor sucked last year, he had 5 sacks and 2 safeties that's pretty darn good. If Maybin was gonna produce like that he'd be here.

I don't agree. I think the team wants to keep him as a DPR but they can't because of injuries. If they hadn't lost Turner, necessitating carrying a backup G and C and Logan Payne which may have contributed to Gillyard they very well might have kept Maybin on the roster. That's like saying they would keep a 3rd NT if it were Jenkins, but they won't do it for MTV. They obviously like both players, but they have other positions of need and like other players too. It's not like he was an early cut. Maybin was there for limited time and provides nothing but pass rush and they STILL were going to carry him on the roster.

Archived