Rex Challenges the Jets OLine

JiFtheOracle

http://espn.go.com/n...-offensive-line

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Trying to guard against a letdown after an emotional win over theDallas Cowboys, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan challenged his players -- the offensive line, in particular -- during Wednesday's team meeting.

Ryan reminded them of their last game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, a 24-22 loss in 2009, claiming they were physically dominated -- a case of the bullies getting bullied. According to players, he called out the line, which also played poorly in the season opener.

ny_u_sanchez_b1_300.jpg

Tim Farrell/US PresswireMark Sanchez has labeled the Jets' Week 2 game against the Jaguars a "must-win."

It's rare for Ryan to pick on the offensive line, for years the strength of the team, but it was his way of sending an urgent message for the upcoming game against the Jaguars. Apparently, it was received.

"This," quarterback
Mark Sanchez
said, "is a must-win."

This is what coaches do when they're trying to maintain their team's edge. But instead of embellishing a game from two years ago -- it wasn't nearly as lopsided as Ryan made it sound -- he could've simply brought up last season's AFC Championship Game.

The letdown of all letdowns.

The Jets were emotionally wiped out after their monumental upset of the
New England Patriots
, and they played a brutal first half against the
Pittsburgh Steelers
. Guard
Matt Slauson
admitted he thought about that game in the immediate aftermath of the the red-white-and-blue victory over the Cowboys on the 10th anniversary of 9-11.

"I thought to myself, 'Man, we better not let this get to us like the Patriots game did last year,'" Slauson said. "The majority of our guys were here for that, so they know the feeling of a letdown. I don't think our guys are going to make the same mistake twice."

Slauson said there was nary a mention of Sunday night in the locker room, insisting the focus had shifted to the Jaguars, who won their opener over the
Tennessee Titans
, 16-14.

Ryan acknowledged that beating the Cowboys, in what he called the most pressure-filled game of his coaching career, was "very emotional." He doesn't anticipate a hangover, but it's obviously a concern because he made an issue of it during his team meeting.

Spoiler alert: Ryan said he's planning to show the team lowlights from the '09 game.

Week 2: Jets vs. Jaguars

ny_u_revisd_203.jpg
Gang Green stays home, sets sights

on a 2-0 start:
Jets Center »
Blog »

"We pride ourselves on being a physical football team … and they handed it to us," he said of the Jaguars, a power-running team that also defends the run very well. "They imposed their will on us. … So we'll let the video do most of the talking."

Ryan made it sound like the 45-3 loss to the Patriots, but it actually wasn't that bad. They lost because the defense couldn't make a big stop and because Sanchez threw two interceptions and was so frazzled that, instead of answering questions from reporters after the game, he read from a prepared statement -- a rookie mistake, he now admits.

In reality, the Jets weren't outrushed by much, 139-110, but it left a bitter taste for Ryan. That explains why, in the team meeting, he got after the offensive line. It hit home because all five starters are holdovers from the '09 team, although Slauson and right tackle
Wayne Hunter
were backups at the time.

"He definitely called out the offensive line," Slauson said. "He said, 'This cannot happen again.'"

Coachspeak aside, the game is important because it's an AFC game, and the Jets know the importance of a good conference record. They were 9-3 last season, tied for second-best in the AFC -- and that provided a cushion for playoff tiebreakers.

It's also a home game and the Jets, perennially mediocre at home, are trying to change that.

"We can't lose at home. We can't," Sanchez said. "We want to get a home playoff game. You can't get a home playoff game if you keep dropping games at home. It just doesn't work. This is huge for us.

Sorry my Florida brothers (flgreen/SFJ) dont mean to steal your thunder, but didnt see this in your Jets News thread and think it deserves it own thread.

I love strategy from Rex. The assumption is we're going to roll all over the Jags. We are heavy favorites. This is a great way to make sure the team isnt taking this lightly. Not that they should after last weeks performance, but still a great way to not only keep them focused but also work in the revenge angle from when they beats us in 09. The reality is, the Jags own the Jets. They always beat us.

Also, if you watch the video, my favorite man ever Herman Edwards makes a great point. Our offensive line succeeds best when the running game is going. There mold isnt dropping back in pass protect every play. They want to bang and make space for RB's. When they are able to do that, its makes protecting Mark much easier.

I'm not putting a ton of stock into any week 1 games. But at the same time, you cant ignore the fact Mark was one the ground 10 times. It was obvious he was under pressure all game, but when you hear that number...damn. Actually makes me give the kid a little bit more credit for his performance. But anyway, the Oline needs to step up. Alualu has turned out to be a nice player and Mincey is stout vs. the run. Kampman is healthy. Thats a decent Dline. And the addition of Posluszny to their LB'ing core, the Jags have a formidable front 7.

This offense is at its best when there is balance and the running game is going. Sanchez isnt a throw 40+ times a day QB. B Schott system isnt a throw 40+ times a game style. He needs the run to set up the deception with his motions/shifts and the play action. Sanchez was pretty money on play action vs. Dallas and we had no run game.

Moral to the story, Oline needs to step up and make it happen. They are the key to the offense.

Rex ruined this team.

Ha! Wont lie, this thread was slightly motivated by another.

But besides that, I do like the motivation tactic being applied by Rex. Showing tape of a game from 2 years ago. Its kind of silly, because they are a completely different team. Especially on defense. But hey, the urgency is clearly there.

ow.

Ha! Wont lie, this thread was slightly motivated by another.

But besides that, I do like the motivation tactic being applied by Rex. Showing tape of a game from 2 years ago. Its kind of silly, because they are a completely different team. Especially on defense. But hey, the urgency is clearly there.

ow.

I actually 100% agree. One thing I love about Rex is he's not afraid to admit his shortcomings and trying to improve himself as a coach. He has let this team at times, fall into that sort of letdown by continuing to talk them up. Perhaps a little slap across the face helps motivate these guys and keep them on track. Rex FTMFW.

Can we please sign Leonard Davis

Short leash? I think we have the right guy, they just need to step up. We need the Hunter from last year. That Hunter was a beast.

Considering we gave Brick, Mangold and Hunter new contracts I can understand his reasoning. Rex wants them to prove they were worth the contracts they just got.

That and keeping Sanchez alive.

Sorry my Florida brothers (flgreen/SFJ) dont mean to steal your thunder, but didnt see this in your Jets News thread and think it deserves it own thread.

I love strategy from Rex. The assumption is we're going to roll all over the Jags. We are heavy favorites. This is a great way to make sure the team isnt taking this lightly. Not that they should after last weeks performance, but still a great way to not only keep them focused but also work in the revenge angle from when they beats us in 09. The reality is, the Jags own the Jets. They always beat us.

Also, if you watch the video, my favorite man ever Herman Edwards makes a great point. Our offensive line succeeds best when the running game is going. There mold isnt dropping back in pass protect every play. They want to bang and make space for RB's. When they are able to do that, its makes protecting Mark much easier.

I'm not putting a ton of stock into any week 1 games. But at the same time, you cant ignore the fact Mark was one the ground 10 times. It was obvious he was under pressure all game, but when you hear that number...damn. Actually makes me give the kid a little bit more credit for his performance. But anyway, the Oline needs to step up. Alualu has turned out to be a nice player and Mincey is stout vs. the run. Kampman is healthy. Thats a decent Dline. And the addition of Posluszny to their LB'ing core, the Jags have a formidable front 7.

This offense is at its best when there is balance and the running game is going. Sanchez isnt a throw 40+ times a day QB. B Schott system isnt a throw 40+ times a game style. He needs the run to set up the deception with his motions/shifts and the play action. Sanchez was pretty money on play action vs. Dallas and we had no run game.

Moral to the story, Oline needs to step up and make it happen. They are the key to the offense.

I agree completely, but moving past that, there's a bigger issue at hand. Have you been hanging out with jetsfaninqueens or enroll in some Charlotte Brontë type writing seminar??

Unless our two JAGS can support our two beasts and one solid lineman, we're never going to be able to run anywhere and everyone will be blaming the backs and Sanchez for underperforming while we eek out defensive and special team wins. Hunter is just okay and Slauson is a little better than okay. It's up to Callahan and Schotty to gameplan to our strengths.

Rex ruined this team.

Think about that for a second and you realize it's spot on. Rex has come here with his brash attitude and top 5 defense to do nothing more than go to the AFC championship and lose. Two entire ******* seasons and this fat bastid has yet to not only win the Superbowl but he hasn;t even reached it yet. Yet every year he tells us,"We are gonna win", Ha,, I repeat HA. Moments like this make me miss Richie Kotite. BRING BACK RICHIE

Think about that for a second and you realize it's spot on. Rex has come here with his brash attitude and top 5 defense to do nothing more than go to the AFC championship and lose. Two entire ******* seasons and this fat bastid has yet to not only win the Superbowl but he hasn;t even reached it yet. Yet every year he tells us,"We are gonna win", Ha,, I repeat HA. Moments like this make me miss Richie Kotite. BRING BACK RICHIE

Agreed. At least as a consultant. Rex can use all the help he can get.

Agreed. At least as a consultant. Rex can use all the help he can get.

This team has become a slapdick organization.

I understand Mark Sanchez has entered his expected breakout season as a 3rd year quarterback, one with plenty of postseason experience, I understand that it's time for Sanchez to come into his own, but I wasn't a fan of what I seen last Sunday against the Cowboys. We can't have Sanchez drop back to pass, 44 times, while shying away from what we've done best over the past two years; which is run the football behind our offensive line. Franchise QB or not, with Rex Ryan running the show, our offensive identity should always be known as a physical, smash mouth, ready to fight type of attack. Shonn Greene and LT only combined for 15 rushes, 42 yards with an average yards per carry of 2.8 yards per carry. Granted it's only week one, but that's not acceptable. Sanchez may turn out to become great, but that doesn't change the fact that having a strong run game will always be very important come playoff time. I love this offensive line challenge/call out, hopefully we see the Jets run for over 150 against the Jaguars tomorrow while dominating the game at the same time. Establish the run game, and with our offensive weapons, it'll be hard to stop Sanchez.

Honestly, I feel the Jets should have another pass heavy game. I mean last game, Sanchez had 335 yards and 2 TDs against a tough cowboys defense. With the Jaguars beat up secondary and decent run defense, we SHOULD pass more. We still have to run to keep them honest, but I hope to see Sanchez open up like he did last game, but protect the football better and make less mistakes.

Honestly, I feel the Jets should have another pass heavy game. I mean last game, Sanchez had 335 yards and 2 TDs against a tough cowboys defense. With the Jaguars beat up secondary and decent run defense, we SHOULD pass more. We still have to run to keep them honest, but I hope to see Sanchez open up like he did last game, but protect the football better and make less mistakes.

This is my preference, too.

Jets should be using games like this one -against an inferior opponent at home- to work out all the kinks. This is a game where they should look to establish a solid lead early, then use Shonn Greene in the way he was designed: as the guy running downhill to ice the game.

There are tougher games ahead, and guys like Mason, Kerley, and Cumberland need to be worked into the offense more. They need reps. If Shonn Greene is ineffective again, they need to get a guy like Joe McKnight back there and see what he can do behind the same OL.

This is my preference, too.

Jets should be using games like this one -against an inferior opponent at home- to work out all the kinks. This is a game where they should look to establish a solid lead early, then use Shonn Greene in the way he was designed: as the guy running downhill to ice the game.

There are tougher games ahead, and guys like Mason, Kerley, and Cumberland need to be worked into the offense more. They need reps. If Shonn Greene is ineffective again, they need to get a guy like Joe McKnight back there and see what he can do behind the same OL.

agree, if the cowboys were sitting on run on first down, what do you think the jags will be doing after rex's comments ? pass to get the lead, run out the clock. it's time the jets entered the 21st century

with that said, the line has to greatly improve or it's all for nothing.

Archived