Thoughts on the offensive line?

Maxman

We all should have been worried. After Brick and Mangold, whats left? Love Moore but he's coming off hip surgery. So we basically had 2 1/2 holes on the line coming in this year. If I hear the term "ground and pound" anymore I'm gonna lose it. We can't gound and pound - we lack the talent on the Oline to do that = the biggest problem for all.

Well, I wasnt. Hunter out played Woody when given the chance. Slauson was solid and did great in the run game...he was essentially the same thing we had in Faneca...who is now retired. I wasnt really expecting Moore to be this sloppy.

I think its fair to say nobody expected what we are seeing now. Talking head still had the Jets oline as one of the best in the league. Even if it took a step back, it was still top 5. Nobody could have predicted us having the worst Oline in the league. Nobody.

Well, I wasnt. Hunter out played Woody when given the chance. Slauson was solid and did great in the run game...he was essentially the same thing we had in Faneca...who is now retired. I wasnt really expecting Moore to be this sloppy.

I think its fair to say nobody expected what we are seeing now. Talking head still had the Jets oline as one of the best in the league. Even if it took a step back, it was still top 5. Nobody could have predicted us having the worst Oline in the league. Nobody.

This "Hunter outplayed Woody" thing is getting silly. No, he did not. Woody had been very solid for us for a couple of years and is a former pro-bowl selection with experience across the NFL. Hunter is a career backup with a few decent games under his belt last year. There's no comparison. Faneca was a much better run-blocker than Slauson, and about equal in pass protection. Both spots were downgrades. We've gone after "splashy" pickups like Holmes and Plaxico because they make headlines. It's a marketing plan tied to a personnel plan. Like Primate, I made a point a while back about how eager the FO has been to add "weapons" to help Sanchez and thereby prove their drafting acumen, without going after any OL in draft or free agency (unless you count Schlauderhoff). You reap what you sew.

This "Hunter outplayed Woody" thing is getting silly. No, he did not. Woody had been very solid for us for a couple of years and is a former pro-bowl selection with experience across the NFL. Hunter is a career backup with a few decent games under his belt last year. There's no comparison. Faneca was a much better run-blocker than Slauson, and about equal in pass protection. Both spots were downgrades. We've gone after "splashy" pickups like Holmes and Plaxico because they make headlines. It's a marketing plan tied to a personnel plan. Like Primate, I made a point a while back about how eager the FO has been to add "weapons" to help Sanchez and thereby prove their drafting acumen, without going after any OL in draft or free agency (unless you count Schlauderhoff). You reap what you sew.

Well, I disagree. Hunter out played Woody. Our best performances from our Oline was when Hunter was playing infront of Woody. I dont really care what Woody did in his career or the pro bowls he's made...last season, dollar for dollar, Hunter was better when he was in the game.

Also, I disagree with this notion they've ignored the Oline. The Jets drafted Vlad. They thought he'd be better. They resigned Turner and Hunter because they are starters any where else in the league (at least Hunter looked it last year). So they really havent igonored it at all. Hunter got attacked by the aliens from Space Jam, Turner is hurt and Vlad isnt good. They have 2 of the highest paid OLmen in the league right now and Moore makes good money too. You cant have an all star at every position, especially all in one unit. So I'm not sure what else the Jets could have done. Clearly they thought Hunter and Turner trumped any FA's. And consequently, the draft was used to on the DLine.

We all should have been worried. After Brick and Mangold, whats left? Love Moore but he's coming off hip surgery. So we basically had 2 1/2 holes on the line coming in this year. If I hear the term "ground and pound" anymore I'm gonna lose it. We can't gound and pound - we lack the talent on the Oline to do that = the biggest problem for all.

Why would Slauson be a hole? He had a decent year in 2010 and there was no reason to expect him to regress. I'm not even sure that he has though IMO at least one sack yesterday was on him. Moore is hurt. Why do you think he should have been considered a "hole"? He's been a solid player for years. I didn't hear a single ******* person mention picking up an offensive lineman during free agency. Everybody wanted to whine about Edwards. There were a few of us that were calling for them to bring back Hunter and Turner, but most people here didn't care. It hasn't worked out so well, but it's stupid to complain that they brought back the exact same line that won against the Steelers during the season and the Colts and Pats in the playoffs. I didn't hear any complaints about them then. Who did you want? Leonard Davis? The line will come around when they get healthy and play together more.

We are talking about Damien Woody, right? Not Anthony Munoz? Before he came to the Jets I believe that Woody had played something like 5 games at tackle. He was a pro bowl center in 2002 and left for a payday. He never made another pro bowl as far as I know. He was an absolute bust as a guard in Detroit and benched by an absolutely awful team. Acting like he was such a great investment at tackle would mean that you had some faith in the Jets front office. They picked him and gave him good money too play starting right tackle. Sure Woody was a former first rounder, but Hunter was a former 3rd rounder that Rex called the best backup tackle in the league. Woody broke down last year and had a few injuries that reduced his effectiveness. Faneca was beyond awful in pass protection in 2009. Did you watch him? Do you look at the "metrics"? I don't, but I wasn't seeing the return on the investment there. Faneca and Woody are OLD and retired. If they were able to continue playing at such a high level they would both still be in the league.

Woody was the best run blocking RT in the NFL. Hunter outplayed him last year? He did well but........LOL

I'm not sure why you are laughing. I think he did outplay Woody. Woody was good earlier in the year, but he got hurt and run down and he was having trouble down the stretch.

Outplaying a guy who is injured means you're better? Hunter will turn this around but all things considered, Woody was a far better player esp in the running game.

At his peak I would agree. My point is that Woody was not at his peak last year and will never be at his peak again. Therefore Hunter isn't a "downgrade". It would be like claiming that Tino Martinez was a downgrade from Mattingly.

Baxter played well. Hunter is a joke. Alli I keep remembering is him clowning on the sidelines all preseason. Dude needs a reality check, and fast. Honestly, if I were the coaching staff I'd start floating the idea that they are going to look at Vlad as a possibility to replace him as a starter for nothing else but to see if it lights a fine under him. Even hearing Hunter after the game yesterday it just doesn't seem like he takes his sucking very seriously. I think the guy needs a wake up call, and fast.

keep baxter at center,put hunter on the bench, and slide mangold at right tackle. problem solved.lol. seriously tho. he cant be much worse at rt than hunter has been playing

Archived