Who says Sanchez is scared?

GangisGreen

I didnt look at the board for the most part yesterday, just a quick glance at the game thread after the win. Didnt read any threads. I'm shocked by this today to be honest. He played fine. Made a stupid decision in the endzone. It happens to everyone.

Its just something we'll be dealing with for the rest of his career. He'll never be perfect and these guys will never be pleased.

I love him.

Obviously you had your face in some fat thighs until the second half. Good for you survived 8 years of a bad marriage like that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Niners dropped one.

Apparently some dude named Alex Smith just finds ways to win with a good completion percentage. He just finds them.

Alex Smith is actually an argument for QB's improving over time. Like Drew Brees, or Eli. Smith is displaying a leap with an improved offensive system. Sanchez is showing tortoise-like improvement under the same Schotty system.

I don't get the slow start commentary after that game. If it was the repeated 3 & outs we've seen before, then yes. That was a great opening drive capped off by an absolutely bone-headed pick. Complain about that all you want. I will, too. That first half looked like the kind of game the Jets would lose to me. But the slow start argument doesn't fit.

Dont get it either. Wasnt the only incomplete pass the pick?

I mean, that was after like 4 penalties that was kept putting us in the long down situations too. The pick was mind numbing...but it happens.

Maybe Im using the wrong words. What I mean is we had nice drives that did not produce points because our QB waited till half time to start focusing. To me dominating a team for a half of football and only leading by 3 at halftime is a slow start. Im no words smith. You know that. LOL

Definitely frustrating. But thats Football. I know its a crazy thought, but everything doesnt always goes as planned. And other teams sometimes win the battle. Its weird, I know.

Definitely frustrating. But thats Football. I know its a crazy thought, but everything doesnt always goes as planned. And other teams sometimes win the battle. Its weird, I know.

Don't get cute with me. The other team winning the battle and your QB playing on their side for half a game are two different things. Mark has to protect the ball better/ Has nothing to do with the other team. Buffalo did nothing to win yesterday. Game should have been over at half time.

I mean, that was after like 4 penalties that was kept putting us in the long down situations too. The pick was mind numbing...but it happens.

Something like that. It was damn close.

I remember thinking (I'm smart enough not to say such things out loud) during that drive, "damn, the Jets look like a dominating football team!"

Alex Smith is actually an argument for QB's improving over time. Like Drew Brees, or Eli. Smith is displaying a leap with an improved offensive system. Sanchez is showing tortoise-like improvement under the same Schotty system.

I've heard its impossible, but maybe Alex Smith has improved?

Right, that's kind of the point. At the rate we're going, it's going to be 2015 before we aren't legitimately concerned about Sanchez ******* up a legit Super Bowl shot. I don't think even the biggest Sanchez haters on the board will dispute the claim that there's been a degree of improvement. Improvement really seems to be an issue only in the eyes of those who get defensive about him. The other side of the argument seems to be; yes, he's improved, but he's still not very good right now and that's all I care about. Normally both would be guilty of misinterpretation, but the former is really just a rebuttal to the opinion of the latter, even though it's not a point that's even being argued at this stage of the season. Yes, Sanchez has improved. Yes, he'll probably get better. He's just still not a very good quarterback in the year of 2012. This year. Not last year or next year. And that's really all that matters.

How long did it take Alex Smith to not completely suck?

Exactly. You of all people should be concerned about this. Because you are old, and may die soon.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

A long, sustained drive is certainly an improved start over a string of 3-and-outs if for no other reason than keeping the defense fresh, but when the end result is still 0 points, I have a hard time being overly enthused.

A long, sustained drive is certainly an improved start over a string of 3-and-outs if for no other reason than keeping the defense fresh, but when the end result is still 0 points, I have a hard time being overly enthused.

I said it in the game thread at the time. If we're really relying on; "look, his picks are far enough down the field that his picks won't be TD's anymore," to argue for his awesome...I mean come on already.

Don't get cute with me. The other team winning the battle and your QB playing on their side for half a game are two different things. Mark has to protect the ball better/ Has nothing to do with the other team. Buffalo did nothing to win yesterday. Game should have been over at half time.

Sure they did. They blew that play up. Knew it was coming. Keller had 3 guys making sure he couldnt release. Which resulted in a horrible decision by Mark Sanchez. Happens every week to great QB's. He should have thrown it out of the endzone. Oh well, it happens.

Right, that's kind of the point. At the rate we're going, it's going to be 2015 before we aren't legitimately concerned about Sanchez ******* up a legit Super Bowl shot. I don't think even the biggest Sanchez haters on the board will dispute the claim that there's been a degree of improvement. Improvement really seems to be an issue only in the eyes of those who get defensive about him. The other side of the argument seems to be; yes, he's improved, but he's still not very good right now and that's all I care about. Normally both would be guilty of misinterpretation, but the former is really just a rebuttal to the opinion of the latter, even though it's not a point that's even being argued at this stage of the season. Yes, Sanchez has improved. Yes, he'll probably get better. He's just still not a very good quarterback in the year of 2012. This year. Not last year or next year. And that's really all that matters.

Meh, he's not great, but he's good enough.

Me too...but that happens. Good teams/players respond. The Jets and Mark Sanchez did just that.

Meh, he's not great, but he's good enough.

In some regards, sure. When the defense plays like it did yesterday, absolutely. But as we saw in the New England and Oakland games, that's not a lock. And as we also saw in those games, Sanchez still isn't good enough to carry the team when that happens. That is a legitimate concern for this season considering this team is clearly still capable of competing for a Super Bowl.

In some regards, sure. When the defense plays like it did yesterday, absolutely. But as we saw in the New England and Oakland games, that's not a lock. And as we also saw in those games, Sanchez still isn't good enough to carry the team when that happens. That is a legitimate concern for this season considering this team is clearly still capable of competing for a Super Bowl.

I dont know man. He's engineered some game winning drives which IMO is a good endorsement for him being able to carry the team when they need it. He isnt great, he's probably not going to be a put the team on my back kinda guy this season, but I still think he's perfectly capable of winning a SB this season.

His first half wasn't terrible. He made two costly mistakes, no doubt, but his overall play wasn't horrible. He was engineering an outstanding opening drive before the interception. It was something like a 10 minute march down the field. Obviously he has to close that out with points, but it's not the seven 3 & outs we've seen in other games.

It's like bizzarro world in here today. Jets won on the road for the first time all season yesterday. Won after the bye for the first time under Ryan. Won by 16 points. Sanchez finished the game completing 71% of his throws for over 8 ypa and a passer rating of 92.9 - and the primary discussion on the board is how much he still sucks.

I don't get it.

I blame fantasy football.

The guy isn't a high end QB at 24. Hes still the reason this team isn't truly elite. That said, I think this is just young QB bullsh*t and I don't mind it. This and I still fully expect a strong finish anyway. It goes against all logic but really this whole thing seems completely overblown at this point. The franchise has taken care of him very well, and long term I have alot of faith in that.

Ugh I hate me.

It's a major problem when a QB combines pure stupidity with poor execution. That's what led to the INT. Sanchez made up his mind to throw to Kellet no matter what and threw it, but the ball was incredibly off the mark.

On Sanchez's TD pass to Holmes, he combined pure stupidity with great execution and it worked out. Of the 2, I'd rather have great execution and chance it with the dumb decision making. Maybe one day he'll be a good decision maker and great executor, but he's far from that now.

It's a major problem when a QB combines pure stupidity with poor execution. That's what let to the INT. Sanchez made up his mind to throw to Kellet no matter what and threw it, but the ball was incredibly off the mark.

On Sanchez's TD pass to Holmes, he combined pure stupidity with great execution and it worked out. Of the 2, I'd rather have great execution and chance it with the dumb decision making. Maybe one day he'll be a good decision maker and great executor, but he's far from that now.

For realz. I don't think yesterday told us anything about Sanchez that we didn't already know. If that game was indicative of anything, it's that because he's our QB, this team goes about as far as Scott and Pouha let it.

It's a major problem when a QB combines pure stupidity with poor execution. That's what led to the INT. Sanchez made up his mind to throw to Kellet no matter what and threw it, but the ball was incredibly off the mark.

I disagree. I think the play was designed that way. It was clearly meant as a timing play where Sanchez is meant to throw to a spot and the receiver's job is to be there. That doesn't absolve him of anything really it's just him sticking a bit too closely to the script on that play which is understandable for a young QB. Sanchez should have seen Keller not get the free release and thrown the ball away there.

And Sanchez's actions don't absolve Schotty for calling a stupid play in that situation. Shonn Greene had been running through that line like sh*t through a goose up until that point. The call there should have been a run. Barring that, the first pass play the Jets should call in the red zone EVERY single time should be a fade to Burress.

So that play was a combination of poor play calling, poor execution and poor decision making. Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong there did. It happens. Wasn't the first time, won't be the last and the Jets are not the only team that had that happen to them yesterday. It probably happened to everyone at least once yesterday except the Packers.

I dont know man. He's engineered some game winning drives which IMO is a good endorsement for him being able to carry the team when they need it. He isnt great, he's probably not going to be a put the team on my back kinda guy this season, but I still think he's perfectly capable of winning a SB this season.

Fourth quarter heroics make for nice stories and all, but I'd prefer to (even occasionally) put teams away early when the opportunity presents itself and that's something he's been incapable of doing to date.

Even in games where the final score looked one-sided, the games should have been put away at half-time and were not, due to Sanchez's inability to lead the team to more than a single 1st Half TD against clearly outclassed opponents (Jacksonville, Miami, Buffalo).

A good endorsement? Sorta like when the pimp told LT, "Yeah she's like legal."

Fourth quarter heroics make for nice stories and all, but I'd prefer to (even occasionally) put teams away early when the opportunity presents itself and that's something he's been incapable of doing to date.

Even in games where the final score looked one-sided, the games should have been put away at half-time and were not, due to Sanchez's inability to lead the team to more than a single 1st Half TD against clearly outclassed opponents (Jacksonville, Miami, Buffalo).

Ah, so you want pretty wins? You wanna win with style and grace? Cool. I respect that. I like winning games and dont really care how it happens.

I disagree. I think the play was designed that way. It was clearly meant as a timing play where Sanchez is meant to throw to a spot and the receiver's job is to be there. That doesn't absolve him of anything really it's just him sticking a bit too closely to the script on that play which is understandable for a young QB. Sanchez should have seen Keller not get the free release and thrown the ball away there.

And Sanchez's actions don't absolve Schotty for calling a stupid play in that situation. Shonn Greene had been running through that line like sh*t through a goose up until that point. The call there should have been a run. Barring that, the first pass play the Jets should call in the red zone EVERY single time should be a fade to Burress.

So that play was a combination of poor play calling, poor execution and poor decision making. Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong there did. It happens. Wasn't the first time, won't be the last and the Jets are not the only team that had that happen to them yesterday. It probably happened to everyone at least once yesterday except the Packers.

Dude, I realize none of us know for sure but jeez, looked pretty obvious his first read was an open McKnight (although he turned the wrong way for seom reason, to the inside) checked off quickly to throw the the floater pick in the end zone. Give me a break with design too. He needs to be a little more reactionary regardless anyway. Horrible INT, why you are defending it somehow, I don't know.

It wasn't a bad call from shotty either. McKnight was open towards the pylon.

I'd contest with a "who cares(?) argument. Does it REALLY matter how pretty a win looks? Should I even expect pretty with some 24 year old given the role of QB just because he's had the role for 2.5 seasons now?

Not that he doesn't suck or anything...

Klecko, there was nothing wrong with the playcalling or the design of the play. His primary target was triple teamed and Sanchez decided to throw it anyway. In fact, Sanchez-Keller hooked up for TD on the same play last year against the Pats at home. I remember it because I was shocked that Sanchez threaded the needle and wasn't picked off.

Hess, I disagree. McKnight wasn't Sanchez' primary read, Keller was. The same as Holmes was his primary read on the TD. Both plays were earily similar, major difference was the great execution and Holmes' circus catch ability.

It was good play design, good call, Sanchez royally screwed it up.

Dude, I realize none of us know for sure but jeez, looked pretty obvious his first read was an open McKnight (although he turned the wrong way for seom reason, to the inside) checked off quickly to throw the the floater pick in the end zone. Give me a break with design too. He needs to be a little more reactionary regardless anyway. Horrible INT, why you are defending it somehow, I don't know.

It wasn't a bad call from shotty either. McKnight was open towards the pylon.

The play didn't have nearly enough time to develop for any of that to happen and what part of "this doesn't absolve Sanchez of anything" do you not understand?

Klecko, there was nothing wrong with the playcalling or the design of the play. His primary target was triple teamed and Sanchez decided to throw it anyway. In fact, Sanchez-Keller hooked up for TD on the same play last year against the Pats at home. I remember it because I was shocked that Sanchez threaded the needle and wasn't picked off.

Hess, I disagree. McKnight wasn't Sanchez' primary read, Keller was. The same as Holmes was his primary read on the TD. Both plays were earily similar, major difference was the great execution and Holmes' circus catch ability.

It was good play design, good call, Sanchez royally screwed it up.

I will say this, you may be right, only b/c for some unknown reason McKnight didn't turn his head too quick and when he did he turned inside to the DB. But I will say that same play (if to McKnight) is what the Pats have feasted on other teams with, to perfection over the last decade.

My obligatory defense of Sanchez (excluding the idiotic INT and clown-show fumble) Keller's moronic acrobat routine really hurt the offense in the first half.

Simms even mentioned it during the broadcast that the Jets told him that Keller was going to be heavy in the gameplan. That led to Mulligan having more snaps. Right after Keller went out there was a Mulligan false start, then a Mulligan hold on the long Greene run.

If Keller hadn't been so dumb, I could see the opportunity to put more than 3 points on the board in the first half.

Ah, so you want pretty wins? You wanna win with style and grace? Cool. I respect that. I like winning games and dont really care how it happens.

I'd contest with a "who cares(?) argument. Does it REALLY matter how pretty a win looks? Should I even expect pretty with some 24 year old given the role of QB just because he's had the role for 2.5 seasons now?

Not that he doesn't suck or anything...

Yes, because I said I wanted "pretty wins". Did you two compare notes before posting?

My point, that you both clearly missed, is that you're operating with a very small margin for error in this league when you play against a decent opponent. You cannot continue leave points on the board or string together a bunch of early three-and-outs, because it will eventually come back to bite you. Luckily for Sanchez in those three victories I cited, the opponents offense was completely inept against the Jets 'D', so it didn't matter that it was close at halftime when it should have been a blowout.

Archived