The AFC at the halfway point of the season

Gainzo

Just about every team not named the Colts or Dolphins are in playoff contention. I can't remember the last time the AFC was this wide open halfway through the season.

Does anyone have a prediction on which teams make the playoffs/win their divisions? The AFC North, East and West all have 3 teams tied for the division lead.

My thoughts on each division.

East: Will come down to the Jets and Pats. Would lean toward the Jets at this stage.

North: The Bengals will fade, the Ravens will win the division and the Steelers should get a wildcard.

South: The Texans should win the division easily.

West: No clue. The Chargers should win but they do have the Norm factor.

Anyone else feel the same way about the AFC?

It's been so long since we won the division it seems like an impossible dream right now.

Currently my predictions would be:

East: Patriots

North: Steelers

South: Texans

West: Chargers

Wild card: Jets, Ravens

The Texans are always overrated, but have no competition this year. The Steelers are a better team than the Ravens, don't care about their previous match-ups. The Chargers win by default since the Chiefs are mediocre and the Raiders won't win with Palmer. A few weeks ago, maybe the Raiders would have won the West but now it's the Chargers.

Just about every team not named the Colts or Dolphins are in playoff contention. I can't remember the last time the AFC was this wide open halfway through the season.

Does anyone have a prediction on which teams make the playoffs/win their divisions? The AFC North, East and West all have 3 teams tied for the division lead.

East: Will come down to the Jets and Pats. Would lean toward the Jets at this stage.

North: The Bengals will fade, the Ravens will win the division and the Steelers should get a wildcard.

Pretty much agree across the board as far as the conference as a whole and the division winners. The sweep by the Ravens pretty much locks up the North for them as long as they don't implode. I think the Bengals are a legitimately solid team, but they're just not quite there yet. The Steelers still likely make it in as a wild card. This Sunday will tell us a lot about the East, if the Pats get the sweep the Jets are in trouble, but if not then I agree it likely comes down to the end with a (hopeful) Jets division win, especially since barring losses to the Bills or Dolphins, they'd own the tiebreaker. Either way I think whichever of the Jets/Pats doesn't take the division takes the other wild card spot. The west is definitely the biggest question mark. The Chargers need to get their crap together, and do it quick because this is getting ugly, but they should be able to take it based on talent alone. If not for the Campbell injury I would actually think the Raiders would be in good position to take the division with the Chargers struggling, but who knows how they'll do with Palmer. Chiefs showed on Sunday that they really are an awful team, and I'm sure they'll be knocked out of the picture sooner or later.

It's been so long since we won the division it seems like an impossible dream right now.

The Texans are always overrated, but have no competition this year. The Steelers are a better team than the Ravens, don't care about their previous match-ups. The Chargers win by default since the Chiefs are mediocre and the Raiders won't win with Palmer. A few weeks ago, maybe the Raiders would have won the West but now it's the Chargers.

I don't see the Steelers overtaking the Ravens. In addition to owning the tiebreaker, the Ravens remaining schedule is @SEA, CIN, SF, @CLE, IND, @SD, CLE, @CIN. The only teams with winning records there are Cincy and SF (who they get coming cross-country on a short week). Not to say that the Steelers remaining schedule is all that different, but given that they already have one more loss than the Ravens and got swept by them, they need some serious help in order to take the division.

I can't see the Steelers winning the North as the Ravens swept them and both the Steelers and Ravens play the Bengals and Browns twice. Plus the Steelers have already played 9 games while the Ravens have played 8.

I think the Jets will take the East and I also think its very possible either the Pats or Steelers miss the playoffs. I also do not think the Bengals will fade They are playing some good football and they are gaining confidence.

One thing I think is a must for the Jets is a division win and a playoff Bye since its the next logical step to a possible SB berth. If they do not win the division, 3 games on the road in the playoffs will only lead to what we have experienced the past few years IMO.

I think after his week the picture will be a little more clear with the Steelers playing the Bengals.

My opinion.

East: Jets

North: Ravens

South: Houston

Wild Card: Bengals, Patriots.

I think the Jets will take the East and I also think its very possible either the Pats or Steelers miss the playoffs. I also do not think the Bengals will fade They are playing some good football and they are gaining confidence.

One thing I think is a must for the Jets is a division win and a playoff Bye since its the next logical step to a possible SB berth. If they do not win the division, 3 games on the road in the playoffs will only lead to what we have experienced the past few years IMO.

I'll admit that I haven't seen the Bengals play (apart from highlights) this season. Are they that good? Will Dalton stumble in the 2nd half of the season?

If the Jets win the AFCE and get a bye they will probably have to face the Ravens to get to the Super Bowl. Still 8 games to go so who knows what will happen.

I'll admit that I haven't seen the Bengals play (apart from highlights) this season. Are they that good? Will Dalton stumble in the 2nd half of the season?

If the Jets win the AFCE and get a bye they will probably have to face the Ravens to get to the Super Bowl. Still 8 games to go so who knows what will happen.

The Defense is that good yes and Dalton is building a nice chemestry with AJ Green . Solid Defense, Good Running game, QB starting to play well, yep it looks good for the Bengals for a long time to come, if they dont **** it all up that is. A few more weapons on offense next year and they could be pretty deadly . They got some draft picks ....they are looking really good

I think after his week the picture will be a little more clear with the Steelers playing the Bengals.

My opinion.

East: Jets

North: Ravens

South: Houston

Wild Card: Bengals, Patriots.

I think the Bengals are a solid team, but they still have 4 games remaining against the Steelers and Ravens, and I'm not sure that they've gotten to the point yet where they can hang with the big boys. The Bengals defense has been great, but I don't trust an offense built around a rookie QB and a rookie WR against those 2 defenses.

I think the Bengals are a solid team, but they still have 4 games remaining against the Steelers and Ravens, and I'm not sure that they've gotten to the point yet where they can hang with the big boys. The Bengals defense has been great, but I don't trust an offense built around a rookie QB and a rookie WR against those 2 defenses.

That sums it up for me when it comes to the Bengals. Can they win 1 of those 4 games against the Steelers and Ravens?

I relish the thought of a playoff rematch against the Ravens with our Oline intact and a much better defense then we had at the beginning of the season.

I relish the thought of a playoff rematch against the Ravens with our Oline intact and a much better defense then we had at the beginning of the season.

As you should. When I think about it the Ravens and Jets have been in the same boat over the years as they had to play AFC Championship games on the road. In a Flacco/Sanchez matchup in Jersey I would go with the Jets. In Baltimore? Toss up.

I'm not sold on the Bengals because their 6 wins come against teams with a combined 32% winning percentage. I think they'll struggle to get 9 wins.

This is what I think the AFC will end up:

1. Ravens

2. Jets

3. Texans

4. Chargers

5. Steelers

6. Pats

The Ravens, Steelers, and Bengals have the easiest schedule here on out. The problem for the Bengals is that they'll likely lose the tiebreaker to the Steelers.

I'm not sold on the Bengals because their 6 wins come against teams with a combined 32% winning percentage. I think they'll struggle to get 9 wins.

1. Ravens

2. Jets

3. Texans

4. Chargers

5. Steelers

6. Pats

The Ravens, Steelers, and Bengals have the easiest schedule here on out. The problem for the Bengals is that they'll likely lose the tiebreaker to the Steelers.

That looks pretty good. I told some of my Jets fan friends before the season that the Pats would go 12-4. That prediction looks a little rocky right now as this is the Pats schedule going forward.

@Jets

Chiefs

@Eagles

Colts

@Redskins

@Broncos

Dolphins

Bills

The Pats should win their home games but the Broncos always beat the Pats in Denver and the Eagles will be a problem as well.

That looks pretty good. I told some of my Jets fan friends before the season that the Pats would go 12-4. That prediction looks a little rocky right now as this is the Pats schedule going forward.

@Jets

Chiefs

@Eagles

Colts

@Redskins

@Broncos

Dolphins

Bills

The Pats should win their home games but the Broncos always beat the Pats in Denver and the Eagles will be a problem as well.

Looking at that schedule I think the Pats end up 11-5, worst case 10-6 and either losing the tiebreaker with the Jets (both at 11-5) or the Jets win outright at 12-4.

Under my set up, my dream scenario would be:

(6) Pats vs. (3) Texans, Texans win

(5) Steelers vs. (4) Chargers, Steelers win

(5) Steelers vs. (1) Ravens, Steelers win

(3) Texans vs. (2) Jets, Jets win

(5) Steelers vs. (2) Jets in MetLife and Jets win.

I gotta be honest, I don't want any part of the Ravens in Baltimore for the AFC title game. I think Rex is intimidated by his old team and that affects how he prepares them and coaches them. I'd take my chances with the Steelers at home.

@Jets

Chiefs

@Eagles

Colts

@Redskins

@Broncos

Dolphins

Bills

If the pats win this week 12-4 looks doable, thats why this week is crucial for the Jets.. Can't let you guys get a sweep w/a better record, we'll basically be 2 games out with 7 to go.. and you guys having 4-5 almost lock wins

Good job going out on a limb there, CTM

No sh*t lol. Even after this week I still don't know what is going to happen in the AFC. The NFC has leaders in every division but I still think the NFC is wide open.

heh? He's mocking me for saying this week will clear a lot of things up in AFC.. You are agreeing with him and disagreeing with him in back to back sentances

If the pats win this week 12-4 looks doable, thats why this week is crucial for the Jets.. Can't let you guys get a sweep w/a better record, we'll basically be 2 games out with 7 to go.. and you guys having 4-5 almost lock wins

The Meadowlands is going to be rocking on Sunday night. Giving Jets fans 12 hours to get their drink on is crazy lol.

I'm thinking the Pats are going to win a very close game with Welker and Gronkowski having a big impact. I'm also thinking that the Pats D is going to continue to suck!

The Meadowlands is going to be rocking on Sunday night. Giving Jets fans 12 hours to get their drink on is crazy lol.

I'm thinking the Pats are going to win a very close game with Welker and Gronkowski having a big impact. I'm also thinking that the Pats D is going to continue to suck!

Last 2 weeks I was pretty sure Jets would win, this week I'm going back and forth. Brady just looks terrible lately, and it's mostly due to phantom pressure. Not sure if the guy has the guts anymore to face a defense like ours

Of course 12-4 looks doable with a win over the Jets. This game this week decides who will get the upper hand, Jets or Pats. Jets control the division by going 5-1 and Pats control division by sweeping Jets

Last 2 weeks I was pretty sure Jets would win, this week I'm going back and forth. Brady just looks terrible lately, and it's mostly due to phantom pressure. Not sure if the guy has the guts anymore to face a defense like ours

He really never got over getting Pollard'

Brady was sacked only 16 times in 2009, the yr he came back, and remember how skittish you said he looked. Last year the sack total went up to 25 (1.5 spg) and this year he's already been sacked 16 times (2 spg).

BUT, that doesn't tell the whole story. In the 1st 3 games this season Brady was sacked only 3 times. In the next 5 he's been sacked 13 times. That's nearly 3 times a game, double last yr's average.

He really never got over getting Pollard'

Brady was sacked only 16 times in 2009, the yr he came back, and remember how skittish you said he looked. Last year the sack total went up to 25 (1.5 spg) and this year he's already been sacked 16 times (2 spg).

BUT, that doesn't tell the whole story. In the 1st 3 games this season Brady was sacked only 3 times. In the next 5 he's been sacked 13 times. That's nearly 3 times a game, double last yr's average.

Yeah, I figured a certain amount of skittishness was to be expected, but at some point you realize this is what he is now...

@Jets

Chiefs

@Eagles

Colts

@Redskins

@Broncos

Dolphins

Bills

You kidding? If the PATS get past the Jets which is very possible they can absolutely run the table.

True...but not to long ago a rookie Big Ben and a rookie Mark Sanchez got playoff births with a great defense. And I think Dalton is much better than those 2 were as rookies. But, I honestly thought they had beat the Steelers for some reason (think I was already counting this weekend as win for the Bengals). Having all 4 division games left vs. them and the Ravens could be season breaking.

easier to tella fter this week... i think the winner of this game wins the AFC east... same for Steelers/bengals and the WC

This.

Normally I'd laugh at you and say, we'll, what did he do 3 weeks ago...but I wont because I think the Jets are playing that much better Football right now. The Jets are a better Football team than the Pats. Hands down. I honestly dont even think its close.

The difference. They have Brady we have Sanchez.

While I agree Brady hasnt looked himself, he's still been there done that and he's got the experience to overcome adversity. I'm not as confident as I've been last past few weeks...but I'm still pretty damn sure the Jets win this game. I just cant see this defense letting the team down at home with a chance to finally choke out the Pats. And because their defense is terrible, I'm not worried about the model.

1. Ravens

2. Jets

3. Texans

4. Chargers

5. Steelers

6. Pats

+1.

I can't see being sold on the Bengals when the Titans and Bills are the only teams they have beaten that haven't outright sucked. Hell, of their two losses one came against a team that outright sucks (Broncos). They have the four games with the Ravens and Steelers, plus the Texans coming up.

Looking at that schedule I think the Pats end up 11-5, worst case 10-6 and either losing the tiebreaker with the Jets (both at 11-5) or the Jets win outright at 12-4.

Under my set up, my dream scenario would be:

(6) Pats vs. (3) Texans, Texans win

(5) Steelers vs. (4) Chargers, Steelers win

(5) Steelers vs. (1) Ravens, Steelers win

(3) Texans vs. (2) Jets, Jets win

(5) Steelers vs. (2) Jets in MetLife and Jets win.

I gotta be honest, I don't want any part of the Ravens in Baltimore for the AFC title game. I think Rex is intimidated by his old team and that affects how he prepares them and coaches them. I'd take my chances with the Steelers at home.

Absolutely agree with the bolded. The Ravens are the one team that I'll hate playing for as long as Rex is head coach. It goes just beyond that though. Rex is scared of the Ravens and gives them way too much respect which has a serious impact on how he prepares the team for their games. Schotty is scared of them and has absolutely no clue how to develop an even remotely sensible offensive game plan against their defense. Sanchez is scared of them (thanks in no small part to being taught to be by the aforementioned coaches) and poops himself a little every time he steps under center against them. It's just a mess.

True...but not to long ago a rookie Big Ben and a rookie Mark Sanchez got playoff births with a great defense. And I think Dalton is much better than those 2 were as rookies. But, I honestly thought they had beat the Steelers for some reason (think I was already counting this weekend as win for the Bengals). Having all 4 division games left vs. them and the Ravens could be season breaking.

This.

I won't disagree with your analysis of Dalton, but you have to remember that guys like Ben, Flacco and Sanchez were on teams with not only one of the best defenses in the entire league, but were also extremely run-heavy teams with very successful running games. The Bengals run game this season is mediocre at best (21st in total yards, 28th in YPC), and I think it will catch up with them in those 4 games, and possibly beyond as the weather gets colder.

Absolutely agree with the bolded. The Ravens are the one team that I'll hate playing for as long as Rex is head coach. It goes just beyond that though. Rex is scared of the Ravens and gives them way too much respect which has a serious impact on how he prepares the team for their games. Schotty is scared of them and has absolutely no clue how to develop an even remotely sensible offensive game plan against their defense. Sanchez is scared of them (thanks in no small part to being taught to be by the aforementioned coaches) and poops himself a little every time he steps under center against them. It's just a mess.

Interesting take coming from a staunch Schotty hater...because I see this as just the opposite. I think Rex is extra focused against the Ravens and the proof is in the pudding. We ******* dominate them defensively every time we face them.

Schotty on the other hand in 3 contests has orchestrated 1 TD vs. them...granted he's playing with Sanchez and Clemens...but either way. Its not Rex's D that has let us down in those games.

They just own us and I really thought having the mastermind behind their defense on our side, that we'd figure out how to counter what they do.

I won't disagree with your analysis of Dalton, but you have to remember that guys like Ben, Flacco and Sanchez were on teams with not only one of the best defenses in the entire league, but were also extremely run-heavy teams with very successful running games. The Bengals run game this season is mediocre at best (21st in total yards, 28th in YPC), and I think it will catch up with them in those 4 games, and possibly beyond as the weather gets colder.

True. Good point. But they pass the ball better. :)

Archived