Does Anyone in the NFL Respect Rex Anymore?

Jet27

It is very apparent...that the majority of NFL talking head media types think that Rex is just a side show...The Jets post game (Klecko) said that the Coaching and said Rex needs to do a better job in preparing the team....Is that not what Joe Namath said? Granted its not all on Rex...but he needs to do a better job...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Namath was right. I was right.

Rex, for all the great things he has done, is ultimately a players coach and chooses to high-five guys for acting like dipsh*ts rather than discipline them.

You saw tell-tale signs of it in Hard Knocks. I really, really like Rex... but I don't think he's doing his job well this season at all. I'm hoping the Giants embarrass him and his team. It might be the humbling he obviously needs... because at the moment the vibe around the team is no longer "nobody believes in us, lets believe in ourselves" it is "we're the big, bad, trash-talking Jets who can sh*t the bed as often as we want, and face no repercussions". That has to change.

From what I can see... this team's focus isn't on execution. It isn't on preparation. It isn't on winning football games.

This team looks like they've never practiced week after week.

Meanwhile, the Patriots.... the team we lost to twice and that Rex keeps saying he wants to see again... look like practice has made their offense damn-near perfect.

Namath was right. I was right.

Rex, for all the great things he has done, is ultimately a players coach and chooses to high-five guys for acting like dipsh*ts rather than discipline them.

You saw tell-tale signs of it in Hard Knocks. I really, really like Rex... but I don't think he's doing his job well this season at all. I'm hoping the Giants embarrass him and his team. It might be the humbling he obviously needs... because at the moment the vibe around the team is no longer "nobody believes in us, lets believe in ourselves" it is "we're the big, bad, trash-talking Jets who can sh*t the bed as often as we want, and face no repercussions". That has to change.

From what I can see... this team's focus isn't on execution. It isn't on preparation. It isn't on winning football games.

This team looks like they've never practiced week after week.

Meanwhile, the Patriots.... the team we lost to twice and that Rex keeps saying he wants to see again... look like practice has made their offense damn-near perfect.

That is my same thoughts...like you I like Rex, but its just so apparent that there is no discipline on this team. Rex got out coached again. his defense gave up 45 points...One of his appointed Captains...is a freakin clown. And Sanchez is getting hammered back there. Not one coach has the where-with-all to figure out the fact that Hunter needs help in the blocking scheme?

This is all on Rex......

what's troubling is we all knew he all but handed over the offense to Schotty's crew and has made about 1 recommendation a year since he became our HC. It was the traffic light stuff the 1st year and this year what has he done? Oh yea, made them instill the wildcat back in the game-planning...but what about the vaunted and feared Rex Ryan defense? Well, the league has obviously caught up and surpassed it by exploiting it's main weakness: lack of speed at the LBer and safety positions-the TE position has become much more important than it ever has-league wide...

I think everyone is stung from this game and is overreacting. Last two seasons things went our way.......if they dont this year, Im not jumping ship on Rex and Co. The Oline was a huge issue coming into the season and Mike T never addressed it. Mark has take a beating this year. We cannot block athletic DE/LBs.

I think everyone is stung from this game and is overreacting. Last two seasons things went our way.......if they dont this year, Im not jumping ship on Rex and Co. The Oline was a huge issue coming into the season and Mike T never addressed it. Mark has take a beating this year. We cannot block athletic DE/LBs.

I'm telling you losing Rob Turner was the biggest loss of the season for the Jets-who knew?

yes they respect Rex within the league. Schotty too.

unlike message board posters, the people who work in the league understand that not everyone can win, every week. they also understand that nothing is easy.

they are 8-6 and still on pace for a playoff appearance. That's worthy of respect. Rex also has a ring from his baltimore days. it could be way worse.

Side note I hate it when the offense gives up a fumble for a TD and that goes on Rex's D. that first TD, the Santonio Holmes fumble, Rex had nothing to do with.

Or, how about the other 3 turnovers that the Eagles had great field position because of.

We were outplayed all over. We don't match up well against speed teams because we are slow.

The Eagles are better than their record indicates, and they are and were better than the Jets.

Side note I hate it when the offense gives up a fumble for a TD and that goes on Rex's D. that first TD, the Santonio Holmes fumble, Rex had nothing to do with.

I know.....the offense gave the Eagles 3 TD's...but still the D has got to do something, anything...

If we keep blaming the coaches, we can ignore that the Eagles are just better than us!

Ha! Exactly...the NFL is about match ups and the Jets match up horrible vs. the Eagles...it happens.

The Ravens got rolled by San Diego - does anyone respect John Harbaugh?

The Packers got beat by the Chiefs - does anyone respect Mike McCarthy?

The Giants got rolled by the Deadskins - does anyone respect Coughlin?

I could go on...

Jets fans are retarded. People like Primate giving themselves a pat on the back for "calling it"....whatever. Rex is fine. The team isnt very talented. Would I like to see them better prepared, sure, but its gets ridiculous with every loss we start to question Rex. The OP is notorious for it.

Rex cant make the players hold on to the ******* Football. Thats got nothing to do with "preperation". Does the league respect Rex? abso****inglutely. Dumbasses

Ha! Exactly...the NFL is about match ups and the Jets match up horrible vs. the Eagles...it happens.

I could go on...

Jets fans are retarded. People like Primate giving themselves a pat on the back for "calling it"....whatever. Rex is fine. The team isnt very talented. Would I like to see them better prepared, sure, but its gets ridiculous with every loss we start to question Rex. The OP is notorious for it.

Rex cant make the players hold on to the ******* Football. Thats got nothing to do with "preperation". Does the league respect Rex? abso****inglutely. Dumbasses

Disagree somewhat...fumbling and not being able to catch a ball is directly related to PRACTICE...and directly tied to how the team prepares...

Rex got us to two championship games. He has his shortcomings and has yet to really become involved in all phases of the game, but to not take him seriously as a coach is silly. Nobody takes the stuff that comes out of his mouth as serious anymore, The Jets had a 3 year window from 2008-2010. Due to poor draft picks the window didnt expand like it does for some teams. Athletically the Jets dont compare with these other teams. Bart Scott, David Harris, Jim Leonhard, Eric Smith, Brodney Pool are all slow players in the middle. When you no longer have guys setting the edges up front these players become major liabilities. Scott and Leonhard are done. Smith just isnt a good player. Harris has always been incredibly overrated by the fanbase because of how he played in 2007 as a rookie. None of them can cover. None of them can play great sideline to sideline football. The Jets knew that to be the case with Scott and the safeties. When you draft a TE, pass rusher, and QB in the first round you expect them to cover for it. Gholston is out of the league, Keller is inconsistent, and Sanchez is a below average QB. The team had to spend millions on another cornerback because the guy they drafted to play corner cant play corner. That is money that would have gone into free agency for a safety or a better tackle. Its difficult to overcome poor draft picks unless you have a stud at QB.

Rex knows it too. Listen to his postgames now compared to last year. He oenst believe in this team anymore. He knows its not the same as what they had in the past. There is nothing coaching can do about it. The team is athletically overmatched by almost every good team in the NFL.

I could go on...

Bolded is all you really needed to say. Seriously though, it's not psych 101, but maybe 202... By convincing yourself that the problem is the coaching, be that Rex or more notoriously, Schotty, you still can maintain the stance that next week it can all turn around. Or, next year, they can fire Schotty and the offense will completely turn around. Blaming the guy with the headset is easy because it is intrinsically tied to hope, faith, and optimism. The same principle applies for blaming entire seasons on a back-up TE or a RT.

On the other hand, talent is harder to overcome. If you think Sanchez is a huge part of the problem on offense, you unfortunately know it's not likely to get any better next year, and probably not the following year either. If you think the defense has a good scheme, and very few good players, you also know that's going to take time. There's not a lot of good feelings about the games each week if you take this stance.

The second one, as a fan, sucks a lot more. Unless of course, you prefer expecting the worst and being pleasantly surprised vs. having hope and being constantly let down.

Ultimately, the point is, Jets fans, and I'd assume all football fans, rush to blame the pieces of the puzzle that are the easiest to blame and easiest to fix, because it's easier to feel good about the team that way.

Disagree somewhat...fumbling and not being able to catch a ball is directly related to PRACTICE...and directly tied to how the team prepares...

I'm under the impression that these guys have been working on those skills since they were probably about 12 years old. Maybe these things just happen.

By the way, as for Holmes fumble, how about a little credit for the defense? They were there right as he caught it, the first guy put his helmet right on the ball, the second guy cleared Holmes out. The other team gets to try to make plays too, you know.

Rex got us to two championship games. He has his shortcomings and has yet to really become involved in all phases of the game, but to not take him seriously as a coach is silly. Nobody takes the stuff that comes out of his mouth as serious anymore, The Jets had a 3 year window from 2008-2010. Due to poor draft picks the window didnt expand like it does for some teams. Athletically the Jets dont compare with these other teams. Bart Scott, David Harris, Jim Leonhard, Eric Smith, Brodney Pool are all slow players in the middle. When you no longer have guys setting the edges up front these players become major liabilities. Scott and Leonhard are done. Smith just isnt a good player. Harris has always been incredibly overrated by the fanbase because of how he played in 2007 as a rookie. None of them can cover. None of them can play great sideline to sideline football. The Jets knew that to be the case with Scott and the safeties. When you draft a TE, pass rusher, and QB in the first round you expect them to cover for it. Gholston is out of the league, Keller is inconsistent, and Sanchez is a below average QB. The team had to spend millions on another cornerback because the guy they drafted to play corner cant play corner. That is money that would have gone into free agency for a safety or a better tackle. Its difficult to overcome poor draft picks unless you have a stud at QB.

Rex knows it too. Listen to his postgames now compared to last year. He oenst believe in this team anymore. He knows its not the same as what they had in the past. There is nothing coaching can do about it. The team is athletically overmatched by almost every good team in the NFL.

Bolded is all you really needed to say. Seriously though, it's not psych 101, but maybe 202... By convincing yourself that the problem is the coaching, be that Rex or more notoriously, Schotty, you still can maintain the stance that next week it can all turn around. Or, next year, they can fire Schotty and the offense will completely turn around. It's easy to blaming the guy with the headset is intrinsically tied to hope, faith, and optimism. The same principle applies for blaming entire seasons on a back-up TE or a RT.

On the other hand, talent is harder to overcome. If you think Sanchez is a huge part of the problem on offense, you unfortunately know it's not likely to get any better next year, and probably not the following year either. If you think the defense has a good scheme, and very few good players, you also know that's going to take time. There's not a lot of good feelings about the games each week if you take this stance.

The second one, as a fan, sucks a lot more. Unless of course, you prefer expecting the worst and being pleasantly surprised vs. having hope and being constantly let down.

Ultimately, the point is, Jets fans, and I'd assume all football fans, rush to blame the pieces of the puzzle that are the easiest to blame and easiest to fix, because it's easier to feel good about the team that way.

I love voices of reason...

This game was a bad match up. Period. Nothing more to say about it. I knew we'd lose because of it, I didnt expect the stupid turnovers after turnovers and the blow out...but I knew this was a loss. If anyone paid attention to the way the Eagles play compared to the Jets, its pretty easy to see the Jets have serious talent issues. And I'll be honest, I didnt forsee them being this bad prior to the season. But is pathetically clear as day, the Jets have zero speed. Especially on defense with players who cover the middle of the field....you know, where its most important to have speed.

Rex is a damn good coach and respected by everyone in the league. One blow out doesnt change that.

I'm under the impression that these guys have been working on those skills since they were probably about 12 years old. Maybe these things just happen.

By the way, as for Holmes fumble, how about a little credit for the defense? They were there right as he caught it, the first guy put his helmet right on the ball, the second guy cleared Holmes out. The other team gets to try to make plays too, you know.

Hey I agree and I get it...I am somewhat freakin pissed off.

I had a similar post ready to go but figured, why bother. Taking care of the Football is something you practice in pop-warner. If an NFL team has to take time out of their preperation for a road game against an explosive team to have protection drills...they are in trouble. Besides thats typically something you work on with an individual player who has chronic problems...ala Tiki Barber. I highly doubt when the Giants helped him correct those issues that they were taking time out of their weekly preperations to do so. They took Tiki aside and worked on that with him one on one while the team prepared for their next opponent.

This game was a bad match up. Period. Nothing more to say about it. I knew we'd lose because of it, I didnt expect the stupid turnovers after turnovers and the blow out...but I knew this was a loss. If anyone paid attention to the way the Eagles play compared to the Jets, its pretty easy to see the Jets have serious talent issues. And I'll be honest, I didnt forsee them being this bad prior to the season. But is pathetically clear as day, the Jets have zero speed. Especially on defense with players who cover the middle of the field....you know, where its most important to have speed.

Rex is a damn good coach and respected by everyone in the league. One blow out doesnt change that.

Ok we don't have speed so who's Freaking fault is that?????? When TE's are running all over the place???? WTF....Do we blame the FO?. HC? Smith? or it's all equally shared?

Ok we don't have speed so who's Freaking fault is that?????? When TE's are running all over the place???? WTF....Do we blame the FO?. HC? Smith? or it's all equally shared?

Not sure to be honest. I'm sure the blame falls on everyones shoulders. Like I said, I didnt forsee this being such an issue...maybe Rex and Co. didnt either. Or maybe he thought he could scheme around it. Dont know. But I'm sure they are watching the film today and saying....damn, we are slow. Probably need to address that in the offseason.

The Eagles have like 4 guys on offense that run in the 4.3-4.4 range. Not to many D's can match that speed. The Jets clearly couldnt.

yes they respect Rex within the league. Schotty too.

unlike message board posters, the people who work in the league understand that not everyone can win, every week. they also understand that nothing is easy.

they are 8-6 and still on pace for a playoff appearance. That's worthy of respect. Rex also has a ring from his baltimore days. it could be way worse.

Ultimately this...they've done a good job here.

But there is some truth to the fact that rex acting like a dirtbag makes it a lot easier to turn on him when things aren't going perfectly..

Ultimately this...they've done a good job here.

But there is some truth to the fact that rex acting like a dirtbag makes it a lot easier to turn on him when things aren't going perfectly..

Sure...from a fan perspective...but I dont think Rex is the type of guy who will ever lose a locker room. Which is what this thread implies. This team hit a 3 game skid, bounced back and control their own destiny. If you dont respect your coach, that doesnt happen.

Perfect example is what a new face said...Maybin. Maybin said when the skid happened...nobody ever lost confidence. You have to credit that attitude to the HC.

We certainly lack in team speed, but the eagles did what the eagles do this season and desperately tried to give us this game. I still say that if not for Holmes bonehead plays, this game breaks completely differently with us taking advantage of their lack of size on defense... unfortunately i was too busy drinking and ranting to pay attention, but given our speed deficiency, did we play a lot of zone and try to hold them to FG's when the field got smaller?

Sure...from a fan perspective...but I dont think Rex is the type of guy who will ever lose a locker room. Which is what this thread implies. This team hit a 3 game skid, bounced back and control their own destiny. If you dont respect your coach, that doesnt happen.

Perfect example is what a new face said...Maybin. Maybin said when the skid happened...nobody ever lost confidence. You have to credit that attitude to the HC.

Right... This is still a good team. In fact, in FO it's the fourth bet team in football. We completely control our own destiny still and now have a good shot of playing houston in the playoffs, a team we will beat

this team begged for ball control offense, chew clock, long drives (like against the chiefs) .... let vick and crew sit on sideline and only get a handful of drives a half. as soon as holmes gave up that td we went into try and outscore them mode, a game we can't compete with them at

Archived