Nothing New in NY...ask Todd

lancemehl

Thought this was interesting. Inspired by my fellow Jet fan and forum supporter, Jetfan80, whose named reminded me of Richard Todd's 30 INT campaign back in 1980. Of course, nothing has changed. It just takes a lot less sucking. This from SI:

Todd spent his first eight years with the Jets, and his disillusionment came early. New York released Namath after the '76 season and handed his job to the 23-year-old Todd. The fans and media in the Big Apple expected a smooth transition; when Todd threw more interceptions than touchdown passes in each of his first five seasons, he was booed brutally and bashed by the press. In '81 Todd snapped, shoving a New York Post reporter against a locker. Says Todd with a sigh, "I wish I was more patient with the media. But being a quarterback in New York isn't easy."

Richard, do me a favor and give Mark a call.

But my favorite part is the next paragraph:

The next year, however, he made it look simple. He inspired Jets fans to wave TODD IS GOD signs as he led the team to the playoffs, where he completed 67.3% of his throws in wins over the Cincinnati Bengals and the Los Angeles Raiders. The following week, in the AFC Championship Game against the Miami Dolphins, Todd strutted onto the rain-soaked field at the Orange Bowl thinking Super Bowl. "We were prepared," he recalls. "I was ready." Those who watched him in the Jets' 14-0 loss would say otherwise. He connected on just 15 of 37 passes for 103 yards and threw five interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown. A year later Todd was dealt to the New Orleans Saints.

Typical flip-flop (hey Mike T wears flip-flops...freaky....lol Todd is God haha Next year will be fun, indeed.

The next year, however, he made it look simple. He inspired Jets fans to wave TODD IS GOD signs as he led the team to the playoffs, where he completed 67.3% of his throws in wins over the Cincinnati Bengals and the Los Angeles Raiders. The following week, in the AFC Championship Game against the Miami Dolphins, Todd strutted onto the rain-soaked field at the Orange Bowl thinking Super Bowl. "We were prepared," he recalls. "I was ready." Those who watched him in the Jets' 14-0 loss would say otherwise. He connected on just 15 of 37 passes for 103 yards and threw five interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown. A year later Todd was dealt to the New Orleans Saints.

Typical flip-flop (hey Mike T wears flip-flops...freaky....lol Todd is God haha Next year will be fun, indeed.

Great Point Lance. So see you in 2017?

Great stuff I remember all that...the big difference between then and now is that we had the Sack Exchange and a guy named Freeman in the backfield.

If Bobby Jones Does not Eff up Matt Robinson finger then lie to Walt Michales about honestly I think the eighties are a way different decade for the jets and Richard Todd is a foot note in Jets history

Exactly it. back then was like the Wild Wild West for QB's. They where not protected and the WO's where beat to snot on every route. Nowadays the NFL is by design a pass heavy high scoring affair that handcuffs DB's and protects QB's like their infants. The QB learning curve should be much quicker and in a lot of cases it is. but not ours.

Exactly it. back then was like the Wild Wild West for QB's. They where not protected and the WO's where beat to snot on every route. Nowadays the NFL is by design a pass heavy high scoring affair that handcuffs DB's and protects QB's like their infants. The QB learning curve should be much quicker and in a lot of cases it is. but not ours.

Yes...that's why I love to hear some people talk about Namath and his numbers...absolutely no clue. If Namath was playing today, he would have not 5000 yards but 6000 yards....and if some of these pussy QBs played back then they would be crying like girls every freakin game!

Yes...that's why I love to hear some people talk about Namath and his numbers...absolutely no clue. If Namath was playing today, he would have not 5000 yards but 6000 yards....and if some of these pussy QBs played back then they would be crying like girls every freakin game!

Agree 100%

Namath's 4000 yards in a 14 game season, with QB's and WR's being beaten to death on every play, is a record for the ages.

Namath's 4000 yards in a 14 game season, with QB's and WR's being beaten to death on every play, is a record for the ages.

Yes...people just don't get it. All I say to them is get some Jet CD's and watch and also reference the rules....big..big difference in play.

What they did not mention about the 82 game vs Miami is that there was pouring rain all week in miami and Shula made the ground crew uncover the field so it was a mud pit. Then miami jammed our receivers and just beat the snot out of them at the line. Todd had no chance of having a good game.

Little details that get forgotten.

What they did not mention about the 82 game vs Miami is that there was pouring rain all week in miami and Shula made the ground crew uncover the field so it was a mud pit. Then miami jammed our receivers and just beat the snot out of them at the line. Todd had no chance of having a good game.

Little details that get forgotten.

I was crying all day and night! was so pissed stayed home the next day.

Great stuff I remember all that...the big difference between then and now is that we had the Sack Exchange and a guy named Freeman in the backfield.

You know Freeman's number werent as good as you think. He was always hurt. Still the greatest running back in the world to us....and that right there is all I'm saying. lol sh*t, look at Gastineau know, he is an freaking embarrassment to the game, yet I LOVED that mutha ****a! haha Talk about keying in on one DE ALL game and having a ball, cuz you knew he was getting one or two or three. lol Try doing that with Wilkerson. lmao w/o nodding out.

Yes, great times. great age. lol

lol Todd threw more interceptions than touchdown passes in each of his first five seasons. In 80 he HAD 30!! Still getting in a shot a #6 huh? lol Well, the beautiful thing about this debate, this spat if you will, is that this one will have a definite outcome. #6 WILL be our starter for 16 games next year. Period. Will he still be at #15, completing 57%, I doubt it......AND BY THE WAY about his #s ......You know, I should start a new thread but I grow weary so we'll just have the fun right here:

Sanchez throws too many damn picks, right?

Mark Sanchez- 3 years- 55 TD 51 INT 12 rushing TD Improvement every year. Last year he went 26TD 18INT we want his head. Horrendous ratio, right?

I took a stroll over to Pro Football Reference (anyone can go.....) and just started grabbing the first guys they list (as you can see by hopping over there what I mean) I left out Marino because I hate him or Brady same.

First Three Years:

Peyton is up first. Besides laying a goose egg in PO's (first 5 years)

First 3 years: 26 TD-28 INT, 26 TD 15 INT, 33 TD 15 INT Too many picks? A lt of TDs Well, he's the GOAT, but look at year 4! 26 TD, same as Sanchez, but 26 INT! And to that point he hadn't won Jack. Also to note, he had 4 rushing TDs You know what though, they stuck with him, the INT machine he is.

Fran Tarkenton- 55 TDs 57 INTs 8 Rushing TD

Warren Moon- 40 TDs 59 INT 4 rushing TDs (and check out year 3: 13 TDs 26 INTs DOH!) and he had been playing in Canada or the USFL or something......

Troy Aikman - 31 TD 46 INT 2 rushing

Terry Bradshaw - 31TDs 58 INTs 12 rush (the only one in #6's stratosphere. lol)

Drew Bledsoe - 53 TD 58 INT and old Frankenstein feet had O rush TDs

"the great" John Elway - 47 TD 52 INT 2 rushing TDs

Next - Boomer Esiason -and I must say- 67 TD 48 INT 4 rush Tds. He saved his sucking for the jets. Should also note that he NEVER threw for over 60%. ever

Jim Kelly- who also had a three year head start in USFL- 56 TD 46INT O rush

Phil Simms- 39 TD 42 INT 2 rush TD (In year 5, 6, 7, -- 64 TD 60 INT --too many?)

Guys who were better- Montana, Favre, McNabb, Rivers Guys who were a joke- Dan Fouts

Guys who were less than stellar first 3 years - all of them.

Guys with more rush TDs first 3 - none of them

Guys with better playoff record first three - very very few

Its a fun game for those who like that stuff. I think the point is made, so Crusher, seriously tell me, what is it? I am really starting to lean toward the Mexican thing. lol Is it the fumbles? That's a problem. Enough to warrant the hate? No way.

Archived