WR Coach Ellard Won't Return in 2012

MTJ06

Source: Jets WR coach Henry Ellard won't return in 2012

BY Manish Mehta

The Daily News has learned that the Jets won't be bringing back wide receivers coach Henry Ellard. General manager Mike Tannenbaum said last week that he expected to have all his coaches back, but Ellard won't return in 2012, according to a source.

The Jets' finished with the 21st-ranked passing offense this season. Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress combined for 96 catches for 1,266 yards and 16 touchdowns this season.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/01/source-jets-wr-coach-henry-ellard-wont-return-in-2012

Thinking this is further proof that while the Jets aren't coming out and firing their offensive staff (i.e. Callahan), they're politely (or not so politely) forcing them out in order to completely overhaul the offense. That's why Schotty is available for all these other OC jobs.

Jets begin to make changes to coaching staff

Published: Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 7:40 PM Updated: Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 7:47 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

ShareEmailPrint

John Munson/The Star-LedgerReceivers coach Henry Ellard will not be back with the team next season.

After an 8-8 season that ended with the Jets missing the playoffs, the Jets have begun to make changes to their coaching staff.

Receivers coach Henry Ellard will not be back with the team, two people informed of his standing with the team confirmed. These people requested anonymity because the team has not announced the move. The Daily News was first to report he will not be back.

Ellard did not sign an extension, so his contract was up and the team elected not to retain him.

One potential candidate to fill his role is former Chiefs coach Todd Haley. The transition from head coach back to position coach, however, is a big jump and may not appeal to Haley.

Former coaching intern Mike Smith will take over the outside linebackers coach job, which means Jeff Weeks -- who worked with the outside linebackers and defensive line the past three seasons -- will not be back with the team next season, one of the people said.

The Jets may have more coaching decisions to make over the next few days. Like Ellard, offensive line/assistant head coach Bill Callahan did not sign an extension with the team and his contract is up, but he could be mulling his options.

The Jets also await decisions on a few head coaching vacancies. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer interviewed for the Jaguars' vacancy last Friday, and his father is reportedly in the mix for the Tampa Bay head coaching job. The Jets have said they plan to retain Schottenheimer, if he does not get another job.

Tony Sparano, the recently fired Dolphins head coach, is on the team's radar in case they need to fill the offensive coordinator job, one of the people said.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/01/jets_begin_to_make_changes_to.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Wouldn't you if you were on the offensive side of the ball? It's a no-win situation. We have a lot of money tied up into talent on O but the QB sucks.

Yeah, absolutely. But the one that surprises me is the DL coach leaving. The d-line is really the only area where young players actually develop on this team. I can't imagine why they'd want to push that guy out the door, especially just to replace him with some intern.

Yeah, absolutely. But the one that surprises me is the DL coach leaving. The d-line is really the only area where young players actually develop on this team. I can't imagine why they'd want to push that guy out the door, especially just to replace him with some intern.

I think they are doing this the nice way.

Another thing with Ellard, I wonder if he just got tired of Rex not having his back when it cane to disciplining Holmes. Judging by Cotchery's comments and all the stuff that came out after Holmes' breakdown regarding his sh*tty practice habits and not giving a crap in receiver meetings, there's no way that Ellard couldn't have wanted to smack Holmes down a few pegs, but then there's Rex telling the world how Holmes is super-great every week.

This is Tanny's way of saying "get this team under control Rex......by staying exactly the way you are and hiring 7 new coaches."

Lol

I honestly don't know if I should be happy that they've recognized the need for changes or if I should panic at all these coaches jumping ship.

Another thing with Ellard, I wonder if he just got tired of Rex not having his back when it cane to disciplining Holmes. Judging by Cotchery's comments and all the stuff that came out after Holmes' breakdown regarding his sh*tty practice habits and not giving a crap in receiver meetings, there's no way that Ellard couldn't have wanted to smack Holmes down a few pegs, but then there's Rex telling the world how Holmes is super-great every week.

And making the dude a CAPTAIN, no less.

That intern is the guy who helped Maybin save his career. If there is a person who deserved a promotion on this staff, it's him.

BTW I thought Mark Carrier is the D-Line coach? Weeks was the OLBs coach. Last time I checked our OLBs sucked.

Lol

I honestly don't know if I should be happy that they've recognized the need for changes or if I should panic at all these coaches jumping ship.

Ellard didn't jump ship. His contract was up, and the Jets decided not to retain him. In other words, he was fired.

Considering the performance of our receivers, he deserved it.

Doing what the nice way? Firing one of their more successful assistants?

I definitely did find it strange given the fact that the DL is the one unit I'd never think to complain about the coaching. But that said, let's be honest here, if there is one position you HAVE to give Rex the benefit of the doubt on, it's the DL, and if he's deciding not retain this guy, it must be with good reason.

I definitely did find it strange given the fact that the DL is the one unit I'd never think to complain about the coaching. But that said, let's be honest here, if there is one position you HAVE to give Rex the benefit of the doubt on, it's the DL, and if he's deciding not retain this guy, it must be with good reason.

Weeks was NOT the D-Line coach. He's OLBs/Asst. D-Line. Mark Carrier is the D-Line coach.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches.html

Weeks was NOT the D-Line coach. He's OLBs/Asst. D-Line. Mark Carrier is the D-Line coach.

http://www.newyorkje...am/coaches.html

I know he was only the asst DL, but that was what was brought up as the concern, given how well the DL has played, so that's what I addressed. Point being, of all the coaching decisions to be made, a defensive assistant is the one I feel just a tad more confident Rex can handle making the decision on.

Archived