Tuna talks about Jets new OC

Kentucky Jet

When Bill Parcells was hiring his first coaching staff for the Cowboys in 2003, he gave a shot to a coaching unknown named Tony Sparano. Made him the tight ends coach.

Parcells didn't hire Sparano because he blew him away in the interview or because of his glittering resume. Actually, he gave him the job without ever having met him. That's because Parcells trusted the glowing endorsement of Tom Coughlin.

"I spoke with Tom about Tony," Parcells told ESPNNewYork.com Thursday. "That's how I got together with Tony. I hired him on Tom's recommendation, which I would do."

So there you have it: The man entrusted by Rex Ryan to galvanize the Jets' offense, and to fix Mark Sanchez, got his start in the Parcells coaching fraternity because of another fraternity member, Coughlin. So, in some small way, the Giants' coach is reponsible for the Jets' new offensive coordinator.

Coughlin gave Sparano a thumb's up because he spent a year (2002) on his staff with the Jaguars. He was Coughlin's tight ends coach. With the Cowboys, Sparano coached the tight ends, the offensive line and called plays in 2006 -- his only season of NFL play-calling experience.

Parcells called it "a joint venture" that season, and that wasn't a knock on Sparano. Parcells always liked to stay involved.

"He did good for us," said Parcells, who became the Dolphins VP in 2008 and hired Sparano as his coach. "I was always impressed with him. His work ethic. He's a very loyal guy. He's a really loyal, good person."

Sparano is known as a tough guy from New Haven, Conn., not afraid to get into a player's face if he makes a mistake. He's used to dealing with big egos. In Dallas, he had Terrell Owens. In Miami, Brandon Marshall. That should prepare him for the Jets' locker room -- specifically, Santonio Holmes.

"He has own way of doing things," Parcells said. "He’s not fearful. This guy is not looking for trouble. He goes by what he sees. He's not overbearing. He picks his spots."

Parcells didn't want to comment on Sparano's fit with the Jets, but he did say this about his football philosophy: "He wants to be sound on protection. He wants to protect the quarterback. That's very important. That will be an emphasis there, and that's a good thing. Quarterbacks take comfort in that and become efficient because of that."

On Thursday, the Jets interviewed another member of the Parcells fraternity, Todd Haley, for a position on the offensive staff. The Parcells coaching tree is growing in Florham Park.

I like that the O-line won't suck next year. Maybe the offense will also throw a pass farther than 8 yards downfield too. Parcells philosiphy - run heavy and take shots downfield

I think we are going to run and run some more. then it will open lanes for the passing game. Sanchez will be able to throw some deep passes no doubt. I think Tony will give the Jets a tough, smashmouth identity! IMO this is a win- win situation for us and sanchez.

I think we are going to run and run some more. then it will open lanes for the passing game. Sanchez will be able to throw some deep passes no doubt. I think Tony will give the Jets a tough, smashmouth identity! IMO this is a win- win situation for us and sanchez.

There is one thing though and this is on Tannenbaum. He has to find a vertical threat at reciever. Because even if the jets run, the other team has to respect the deep ball to make this offense more effective

There is one thing though and this is on Tannenbaum. He has to find a vertical threat at reciever. Because even if the jets run, the other team has to respect the deep ball to make this offense more effective

100% agree. They really need a deep threat, it will help the run game and it will help Holmes.

Uh oh. Tuna doesn't give a ringing endorsement here. Good words to hear would've been:

Innovative

Intelligent

Highly capable

excellent

outstanding

Bad words or phrases to hear are:

hard working

loyal

He's a really loyal, good person."

"he did good"

And, "He has own way of doing things," Parcells said. "He’s not fearful. This guy is not looking for trouble. He goes by what he sees. He's not overbearing. He picks his spots."

Sounds like a guy who is trying his best not to say..."he's a crappy coordinator"

I like that the O-line won't suck next year. Maybe the offense will also throw a pass farther than 8 yards downfield too. Parcells philosiphy - run heavy and take shots downfield

It makes so much sense...you stretch the defense out. The Jets refusal to do this last season really is baffling. Keep the safeties a bit honest...

100% agree. They really need a deep threat, it will help the run game and it will help Holmes.

BRAYLON EDWARDS. I wish we would have signed him by now. I hope he is being checked medically and ready to go. He fits right in with Sparano's philosophy of toughness. he is a great blocking receiver who can get deep ala Brandon Marshal. I hop REX and T wake up and go out and get this guy!

BRAYLON EDWARDS. I wish we would have signed him by now. I hope he is being checked medically and ready to go. He fits right in with Sparano's philosophy of toughness. he is a great blocking receiver who can get deep ala Brandon Marshal. I hop REX and T wake up and go out and get this guy!

This would be huge! I know a lot of people are selling this dude short and still calling him a "dropper" but he made a TON of big plays for us and Sanchez had a great rapport with him. I hope they pull the trigger on this too.

This would be huge! I know a lot of people are selling this dude short and still calling him a "dropper" but he made a TON of big plays for us and Sanchez had a great rapport with him. I hope they pull the trigger on this too.

Edwards dropped fewer passes then Holmes and Killer Keller! yet they are still here. Neither can run block as effectively as Braylon and neither can get deep and stretch the field like he can. Sign the man!

Uh oh. Tuna doesn't give a ringing endorsement here. Good words to hear would've been:

Innovative

Intelligent

Highly capable

excellent

outstanding

Bad words or phrases to hear are:

hard working

loyal

He's a really loyal, good person."

"he did good"

And, "He has own way of doing things," Parcells said. "He’s not fearful. This guy is not looking for trouble. He goes by what he sees. He's not overbearing. He picks his spots."

Sounds like a guy who is trying his best not to say..."he's a crappy coordinator"

Then I guess you don't know Parcells.

Archived