Eli is a better QB than his brother

Blackout

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a big game perspective, specifically as an underdog, you can make the argument. As a favorite though Eli has been pretty dreadful in the past. But Eli has definitely cemented himself as a top 5 QB. Hes better than Roethlisberger.

What do you think has been the reason behind Eli making the jump from good to great, and is it something that might apply to Sanchez eventually?

What do you think has been the reason behind Eli making the jump from good to great, and is it something that might apply to Sanchez eventually?

Right coaching staff for his skillset. Its almost that simple. Guy was a great down the field passer from the first day and they surrounded him with the appropriate talent. They had his possession guy in Toomer who had great hands to catch Elis flutter balls, and brought in Burress to go down the field and go up and get everything. They had the perfect replacement for Toomer in Steve Smith and went out and drafted a home run hitter in Nicks once Burress shot himself out of town. They always get these big tight ends with good hands, rather than the basketball skillset guy that isnt a football player. Cruz was a fluke and Im sure the only reason they even kept him around last season was because he had speed.

The staff calls it perfect for him. You dont see them running 5 yard slants with Eli and a big pass or two thrown in. Its all downfield first and the short stuff worked in later on, because thats what fits him. If you put Manning in the offense the Jets ran these last few years you would never get this. It doesnt match what he can do. It also helps that the guy is completely ignorant of the media and doesnt care what they think. Its like he is oblivious to criticism.

Though I see similarities in the skillset (downfield ability, inaccurate passing, questionable leadership at an early age), there are two big differences. The Jets are not making an offense to work with Sanchez. They are constructing an offense to hide Sanchez. You dont bring in a coordinator whose gameplan is to run the ball 50% of the time to turn Sanchez into Eli Manning. Secondly Sanchez is super sensitive. They give Brunell a few snaps in practice and he sulks. Tiki Barber pretty much undressed Manninng in 2007 and he and Shockey probably did that plenty of times in front of teammates before that and you wouldnt even know anyone said anything negative about Eli. It doesnt bother him in the least. Mark would have had a meltdown.

From a big game perspective, specifically as an underdog, you can make the argument. As a favorite though Eli has been pretty dreadful in the past. But Eli has definitely cemented himself as a top 5 QB. Hes better than Roethlisberger.

Disagree ... He needs to sustain a bit longer before that

Right coaching staff for his skillset. Its almost that simple. Guy was a great down the field passer from the first day and they surrounded him with the appropriate talent. They had his possession guy in Toomer who had great hands to catch Elis flutter balls, and brought in Burress to go down the field and go up and get everything. They had the perfect replacement for Toomer in Steve Smith and went out and drafted a home run hitter in Nicks once Burress shot himself out of town. They always get these big tight ends with good hands, rather than the basketball skillset guy that isnt a football player. Cruz was a fluke and Im sure the only reason they even kept him around last season was because he had speed.

The staff calls it perfect for him. You dont see them running 5 yard slants with Eli and a big pass or two thrown in. Its all downfield first and the short stuff worked in later on, because thats what fits him. If you put Manning in the offense the Jets ran these last few years you would never get this. It doesnt match what he can do. It also helps that the guy is completely ignorant of the media and doesnt care what they think. Its like he is oblivious to criticism.

Though I see similarities in the skillset (downfield ability, inaccurate passing, questionable leadership at an early age), there are two big differences. The Jets are not making an offense to work with Sanchez. They are constructing an offense to hide Sanchez. You dont bring in a coordinator whose gameplan is to run the ball 50% of the time to turn Sanchez into Eli Manning. Secondly Sanchez is super sensitive. They give Brunell a few snaps in practice and he sulks. Tiki Barber pretty much undressed Manninng in 2007 and he and Shockey probably did that plenty of times in front of teammates before that and you wouldnt even know anyone said anything negative about Eli. It doesnt bother him in the least. Mark would have had a meltdown.

There have been a few of us who have preached, get a coach, and talent to put Sanchez in a system to succeed, but none as good as this post, bravo.

I wish you could beat this into Tanny, and Rex's head ugh.

wHAT????

A fluke that they ended up with him. in other words the Giants front office didnt think they were getting anything when they signed him. They almost cut him this year in camp. So I dont look at Cruz as a building block for them, a great surprise but not really part of building the team. Id look at Aaron Maybin the same way if he ends up with 13 sacks next year. Its a fluke that he ends up on your team.

Disagree ... He needs to sustain a bit longer before that

See I think Eli has basically been the Giants team since 2009. Roethlisberger has never been the Steelers team. Hes a great QB in a great situation that clicks on all cylinders. I think if you took Manning off the Giants they are not even a 500 team. The Steelers can get by without Ben for a few weeks at a time and still win with some pretty bad backup players. They might not win the close games that he pulls out by making a big pass with 3 guys hanging on him, but I dont think there are a ton of those games.

Thanks, Jason. Tremendous points. I guess it really does all fall into Tanbenbaum's lap. It boggles my mind why Woody puts the entire organization into the hands of a 40 year old cap guru and instead won't go out and hire an old hand to oversee his investment. You'd think they could avoid many of these mistakes that trace back to Tannenbaum's naïveté.

See I think Eli has basically been the Giants team since 2009. Roethlisberger has never been the Steelers team. Hes a great QB in a great situation that clicks on all cylinders. I think if you took Manning off the Giants they are not even a 500 team. The Steelers can get by without Ben for a few weeks at a time and still win with some pretty bad backup players. They might not win the close games that he pulls out by making a big pass with 3 guys hanging on him, but I dont think there are a ton of those games.

Eli was awful last year

Which was also fairly similar to Joey Harrington's 3rd year.

I haven't looked, but I'll take your word for it stat wise, but we all know team wise, it wasn't how many wins did he have that year I'm pretty sure it wasn't 8. Also there are a lot of QB's who became above average and had simalar seasons, the question is where will Sanchez end up, IMO you have to keep him, surround him with the correct system and talent and find out, you drafted him 5 overall he went to 2 AFCCG, it would be stupid to quit on him after 1 8-8 season. He might be the next Joey Harrington, but he also might be the next Eli, if he is I hope it happens here not somewhere else.

I haven't looked, but I'll take your word for it stat wise, but we all know team wise, it wasn't how many wins did he have that year I'm pretty sure it wasn't 8. Also there are a lot of QB's who became above average and had simalar seasons, the question is where will Sanchez end up, IMO you have to keep him, surround him with the correct system and talent and find out, you drafted him 5 overall he went to 2 AFCCG, it would be stupid to quit on him after 1 8-8 season. He might be the next Joey Harrington, but he also might be the next Eli, if he is I hope it happens here not somewhere else.

Sure, you keep him. The point being, you plan for the future as well. He hasn't done enough to merit being the uncontested starter, nor is he above being upgraded if the right opportunity comes along.

Eli was awful last year

Nah. He wasnt great but he was by no means awful. He was still an above average player. His picks were like the opposite of the Sanchez non-picks that season. Eli had so many passes that were bouncing off guys hands that teams were picking off. Sanchez would throw the ball right to the other team and they would drop it. If not for the meltdown against the Eagles they were going to be 11-5 and win the NFC East. The Steelers were 3-1 without Ben last year and he was just a bystander in the AFC Championship game that the Jets handed to him. Im just not sure if you asked Roethlisberger to carry an offense if he could do it or not for 16 games. He has a perfect marriage in Pittsburgh.

Sure, you keep him. The point being, you plan for the future as well. He hasn't done enough to merit being the uncontested starter, nor is he above being upgraded if the right opportunity comes along.

Really curious to see how they handle the QB position this Spring. I wonder if they'll have the guts to use anything better than a late round pick on a QB or if they keep going out of their way not to hurt Sanchez's feelings by not bringing in legit competition for him.

IMO, if they bring in a Henne or spend a second round pick on a QB, the dude should start looking into what it'll take to get out of his lease.

Really curious to see how they handle the QB position this Spring. I wonder if they'll have the guts to use anything better than a late round pick on a QB or if they keep going out of their way not to hurt Sanchez's feelings by not bringing in legit competition for him.

IMO, if they bring in a Henne or spens a second round pick on Sanchez, the dude should start looking into what it'll take to get out of his lease.

I'd be surprised if they bring in any real competition. And honestly, I'm not even sure it matters. Next year figures to be more of the same. Maybe we'll be a few games better, but it hardly matters. The most important thing is to get actual football players out of the draft so that in a few years and post Sanchez, we can possibly be legit contenders.

I'd be surprised if they bring in any real competition. And honestly, I'm not even sure it matters. Next year figures to be more of the same. Maybe we'll be a few games better, but it hardly matters. The most important thing is to get actual football players out of the draft so that in a few years and post Sanchez, we can possibly be legit contenders.

I think the X factor will be how sensitive Rex is to having his first really bad off-season where he's being treated like a clown everywhere he goes. I dont think he's going to let Sanchez let him look like a jackass again for too long. That leash is going to be short, IMO, and he'll want a Plan B for if/when Sanchez starts sulking. Now, we'll see who Tannenbaum sides with if it comes down to protecting his coach's image by admitting that Sanchez wasn't a good pick by bringing in a real, live QB to threaten him. The day that Sanchez gets benched will be a rough one for Tanny's résumé.

Archived