Santonio will be back next year right?

19andOhWait

boy this thread took an odd turn

I hope Santonio is back obv but I hope he can perform and act like a professional. he has a big time me-me-me complex, I believe, as most wr's do... you have to hope we can harness that with a new system and a new season (and better qb play, whoever it is) because he is a game changing wide receiver. we're not girls, we can get over a riff in the locker room, at least i f'ing hope so

For a number of years Holmes had Ward lined up on the other side getting the majority of looks...

Johnson and Bowe had who?

In what world is that somehow evidence that Holmes is any better? He wasn't even the best WR on his own team behind an over-the-hill possession receiver, yet we're supposed to believe that somehow means he's better than other team's #1 receivers who outperformed him? You can just as easily say how Johnson and Bowe had to go up against better CBs and drew more double coverage because of their positions on their teams, yet still put up better numbers. The truth is, Holmes is just another guy who has no evidence to support the claims about him, and just an endless list of excuses as to why that is.

fixd....and really if he's on he's right with those last three...

I love how Holmes is better because on his best day he might outperform other receivers who regularly outperform him, when they don't have their best day. As if he's the sole exception in the NFL of a player who doesn't play at his very best every week, so the fact that he doesn't measure up (nor has he ever) to any of the league's best is somehow irrelevant. Frankly, the guy isn't anywhere near as good as some try to paint him. He's horribly inconsistent, sloppy, with a poor work ethic and a sh*tty attitude. And for all the excuses about the Jets and Sanchez, it was just as true with the Steelers as it was with the Jets, which is why they got him for a 5th rounder to begin with. The truth is outside of one game in his career, there's next to nothing that actually supports these claims.

In what world is that somehow evidence that Holmes is any better? He wasn't even the best WR on his own team behind an over-the-hill possession receiver, yet we're supposed to believe that somehow means he's better than other team's #1 receivers who outperformed him? You can just as easily say how Johnson and Bowe had to go up against better CBs and drew more double coverage because of their positions on their teams, yet still put up better numbers. The truth is, Holmes is just another guy who has no evidence to support the claims about him, and just an endless list of excuses as to why that is.

Holmes is not better then Bowe or Johnson (he is however in that group, capable of having a better game or season)...but comparing stats is DUMB.

1. These 3 wr's...are 3 different types of wr's

2. Both teams had better passing offenses (at times both QB n OC to blame)

3. How many times have you watched Sanchez overthrow, underthrow, and wtf was that throw in Holmes' vicinity?

4. According to stats...Jordy Nelson is a better wr then Nicks, Bowe, Johnson

Holmes is not better then Bowe or Johnson (he is in that group)...but comparing stats is DUMB.

3. How many times have you watched Sanchez overthrow, underthrow, and wtf was that throw in Holmes' vicinity?

4. According to stats...Jordy Nelson is a better wr then Wallace,Nicks, Bowe, Johnson. Ya think so?

Holmes is in the doghouse and almost any comment made that isn't negative, gets s#it on more often then not.

If Holmes has 28 receptions, 400 yds, & 4 td's in the first 4 games next year (which his skill makes him capable of) everybody will be jumping BACK ON the Holmes bandwagon circa 2010.

Since when has Holmes ever actually performed up to this alleged talent level though? The guy has one 1,000 yard season to his name, spent his entire career up until this season as a #2 and was a colossal disaster in his first year as a #1. Holmes has gotten way past the point of his career where "potential" and "ability" mean a damn thing anymore, and it's all about production, judging by which there is little to no reason to classify him as top 10.

It's like the "Top 10" show of the NFL network. He would not be in the "Top 10 WO in the league now" show, but damn sure would be in the "Top 10 clutch WO in the league now" show. He is money i big spots. But yes his attitude makes him pedestrian at times. Still like him on my team.

Holmes is not better then Bowe or Johnson (he is in that group)...but comparing stats is DUMB.

4. According to stats...Jordy Nelson is a better wr then Wallace,Nicks, Bowe, Johnson. Ya think so?

Holmes is in the doghouse and almost any comment made that isn't negative, gets s#it on more often then not.

If Holmes has 28 receptions, 400 yds, & 4 td's in the first 4 games next year (which his skill makes him capable of) everybody will be jumping BACK ON the Holmes bandwagon circa 2010.

Nice try, but as I said before, you can feel free to go back to last offseason and see I was quite clear in my stance back then that I thought Holmes was in no way a top 10 receiver. While I did think the Jets should have tried to re-sign both him and Braylon, when he got his contract I said at the time that the Jets made far too big of a commitment to him. His dogsh*t attitude and garbage play this season certainly only made me feel even more strongly about that, but it's far from the only reason. His entire NFL career supports the conclusion that he's an inconsistent player who's best suited as a #2 WR and is a problem player from both a locker room standpoint as well as off the field (see: last year's 4-game suspension and his subsequent comments).

It's like the "Top 10" show of the NFL network. He would not be in the "Top 10 WO in the league now" show, but damn sure would be in the "Top 10 clutch WO in the league now" show. He is money i big spots. But yes his attitude makes him pedestrian at times. Still like him on my team.

Meh... the truth is ever since that Super Bowl game, it's just one more thing for which he's given far too much credit. Just go back and take a real look at that 3-game stretch from the 2010 season that he was endlessly sucked off for, and you'll realize it's more media hype than reality. The play to win the Detroit game I'll absolutely give him, but those other two are just an absolute joke. The fact is that in the Browns game, the only reason why the game was even in OT to begin with is because Holmes dropped what would have been the game-winning TD at the end of regulation, and the Jets had to settle for a FG. And the Texans game, the play made by Braylon on that final drive was FAR more impressive and important than the Holmes' TD. The guy was completely wide open on a pick play, and there's a few hundred WRs in the league would could have made that same exact play. Of course he still gets credit for making the play, but trying to paint it as this amazing clutch performance is ridiculous. The guy certainly has some skills, I'll give him that, but the truth is he's shown absolutely no ability to consistently perform at a level that would put him anywhere near the class of the league's true #1 receivers.

Meh... the truth is ever since that Super Bowl game, it's just one more thing for which he's given far too much credit. Just go back and take a real look at that 3-game stretch from the 2010 season that he was endlessly sucked off for, and you'll realize it's more media hype than reality. The play to win the Detroit game I'll absolutely give him, but those other two are just an absolute joke. The fact is that in the Browns game, the only reason why the game was even in OT to begin with is because Holmes dropped what would have been the game-winning TD at the end of regulation, and the Jets had to settle for a FG. And the Texans game, the play made by Braylon on that final drive was FAR more impressive and important than the Holmes' TD. The guy was completely wide open on a pick play, and there's a few hundred WRs in the league would could have made that same exact play. Of course he still gets credit for making the play, but trying to paint it as this amazing clutch performance is ridiculous. The guy certainly has some skills, I'll give him that, but the truth is he's shown absolutely no ability to consistently perform at a level that would put him anywhere near the class of the league's true #1 receivers.

TL,DR

Jets_Patriots_Footbal_Reyn2_t300.jpg

Nice try, but as I said before, you can feel free to go back to last offseason and see I was quite clear in my stance back then that I thought Holmes was in no way a top 10 receiver. While I did think the Jets should have tried to re-sign both him and Braylon, when he got his contract I said at the time that the Jets made far too big of a commitment to him. His dogsh*t attitude and garbage play this season certainly only made me feel even more strongly about that, but it's far from the only reason. His entire NFL career supports the conclusion that he's an inconsistent player who's best suited as a #2 WR and is a problem player from both a locker room standpoint as well as off the field (see: last year's 4-game suspension and his subsequent comments).

Agreed...he is not top ten, more like 12 - 20...are we done?

Your last 3 are laughable.

Seriously if we're talking talent wise Holmes is top 10.

Ill concede the first part of the list but c'mon dude, if Holmes gets his douche-bag personality in order he's a serious threat.

The only problem with this list is he left off about 10 WR's maybe more

Archived