For you guys like me who love Barron

bLguerriero1

I really want Barron or Vontaze Burfict in the first round. I don't know if I would take a chance on passing him up in the first if the Jets have him rated higher than Burfict though, the Patsies will take him at 31 if we pass. BB is very close with Nick Saban, so he already has the low down on Barron. The Pats need a Safety and Barron is still the best Safety in this draft...

if the Jets prioritized the safety position, we wouldn't be asking them to draft one in rd 1.

this is similar to the Eagles and Linebackers and the Lions with Left tackles

Teams that have huge problems at certain position, yet don't seem to care.

I don't see why this year is any different. they will go with some sleeper.

if the Jets prioritized the safety position, we wouldn't be asking them to draft one in rd 1.

this is similar to the Eagles and Linebackers and the Lions with Left tackles

Teams that have huge problems at certain position, yet don't seem to care.

I don't see why this year is any different. they will go with some sleeper.

1. Jeff Backus and Gosder Cherlius, the two Lions' Ts, are first round picks.

2. The Eagles might be going with a first round LB this year. Despite alot of investing in DL talent, they are horrid against the run. Might it be because they have not chased building a high end LB group?

3. What if the Jets prioritize safety this year? Not only did they suck up the middle/against TEs this year, but they suck against them EVERY year (except '09, coincidentally the last time they had a tall, rangy safety). It gets worse...we play in a division with a team that destroys everyone with their two matchup nightmare TEs...We chase the super elusive LB that can cover but won't chase the high end safety prospect because he's a safety? Give me a break with that...It makes zero sense to me.

4. I can see plenty of reason this year is different...Barron is the first safety prospect with a first round grade since 2010, a year TWO safeties the Jets would have LOOOOOOOOOVED to land went in the top 15 (despite the "value" of the position).

Barron makes as much sense (if not waaaaaay more) for this team as yet another first round OL or the teams 6th pick on a WR in 3 years (2 on Braylon, 1 on Holmes, then Kerley/McKnight). The guy is a high end safety prospect on a team that's been looking for a high end safety for years now...He's got elite sized, recieved eltie coaching, played in an elite defense, was a captain in an elite defense, was a long time starter in an elite defense, knows wtf he's doing out there...There's literally no logical reason he isn't a candidate for the Jets' first round pick once you get past these arbitrary values people like to put on positions.

OTOH, I'd go DE/OLB before...I keep flip flopping, which I hate, but Ingram is growing on me...I still think Curry is working on forcing himself into the picture...After that though? Give me Barron. You're not getting a better safety in the draft this year or probably even next year...Barron's been known for a loooooooong time in the prospect world so that's probably another reason he catches crap (on top of being a safety who lacks the INT numbers I know many want).

OTOH, I'd go DE/OLB before...I keep flip flopping, which I hate, but Ingram is growing on me..

some people deride it as flip flopping, but a wise man once said "as the facts change, so do my opinions"

JMO Melvin Ingram has to run really well at Indy to be worth that 16 pick. If he does, then he can have Orakpo type value to all defenses. If he doesn't and hes a slower guy he might drop to the 2nd rd value. guys like Chandler Jones and Mercilus run well and Ingram doesn't it will hurt his stock.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them go OL again to go back to ground and pound with sparano. Mike Adams or Cordy Glenn could be the easy BAP.

super long shot a guy like Dre Kirkpatrick or Janoris might be BAP even tho they have alot of CB already.

Every year the Giants take a damn DE. it seems to be working out.

some people deride it as flip flopping, but a wise man once said "as the facts change, so do my opinions"

JMO Melvin Ingram has to run really well at Indy to be worth that 16 pick. If he does, then he can have Orakpo type value to all defenses. If he doesn't and hes a slower guy he might drop to the 2nd rd value. guys like Chandler Jones and Mercilus run well and Ingram doesn't it will hurt his stock.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them go OL again to go back to ground and pound with sparano. Mike Adams or Cordy Glenn could be the easy BAP.

super long shot a guy like Dre Kirkpatrick or Janoris might be BAP even tho they have alot of CB already.

Every year the Giants take a damn DE. it seems to be working out.

Yeah Ingram's going to have to post some sick workout numbers for me to actually believe he's a top 16 pick. I think between he and Upshaw, he's more likely to do it. If he doesn't, then Barron.

I would not mind Adams or Glenn if they're the clear BPA, but I'd take Barron over both. There's more RTs than there are Ss in this draft, and Glenn really might be a G than I'm overrating as a T prospect. He'd be a devestating G with his size. Plus, that's where Glenn started off in most rankings anyway.

I would not mind Adams or Glenn if they're the clear BPA, but I'd take Barron over both.

Barron's injury kills his stock. Even if they love this player there's no logic in taking a 1st round player who can't work out and might not be ready for training camp. Barron will be there in rd 2 or maybe even further than that. April is a long time away. the teams will all see athletic feats from all sorts of players while Mark Barron is in rehab doing nothing.

teams use the draft to get healthier and younger. they don't want to take a guy and stow him until he's healthy.

DE has much more value than CB. The Giants know what they're doing. Clearly, the Jets just dont know what the draft is all about.

clearly. I mean they took Revis what a terrible pick. :winking0001:

I agree they certainly could use a tuck or JPP.

but it depends on the system. in Rex's system the scheme creates pressure and the CB are out on an island. the Jets were 5th in total defense last year and even the sacks were ok (middle of the table). the defense is working well enough to win games it's the offense that needs help. But look ahead Cro is here for 1 more year, im not saying it's likely they take a CB but it is a position they have prioritized before.

Barron's injury kills his stock. Even if they love this player there's no logic in taking a 1st round player who can't work out and might not be ready for training camp. Barron will be there in rd 2 or maybe even further than that. April is a long time away. the teams will all see athletic feats from all sorts of players while Mark Barron is in rehab doing nothing.

teams use the draft to get healthier and younger. they don't want to take a guy and stow him until he's healthy.

Does it really kill his stock or did you just make that up? I've heard both Wright and CBNY say not so much...Injuries didn't exactly kill Kenny Phillips' stock...or Robert Quinn...So im going to have to not believe you here.

What's his recovery time? How bad is the injury according to you?

What's his recovery time? How bad is the injury according to you?

If what RookieDraft joe everett says is true, and he's out until July/August it's a 1 possibly 2 round bump. he goes from being a 1st round lock to a 2/3 grade. purely on not being healthy at the right time. It sucks but that's the way it goes. this is a player that needed to run well and won't be running.

If what RookieDraft joe everett says is true, and he's out until July/August it's a 1 possibly 2 round bump. he goes from being a 1st round lock to a 2/3 grade. purely on not being healthy at the right time. It sucks but that's the way it goes. this is a player that needed to run well and won't be running.

Except that many have out that timeline in question...There's nothing official and those same two IIRC said the recovery will not be so long.

And again, Robert Quinn had a friggin brain tumor that didn't kill his stock...A hernia isn't even close to that.

Like Hess said and I've said other places.:.he reeks of a Pats steal at the end of one now...IF he makes it that far.

And again, Robert Quinn had a friggin brain tumor that didn't kill his stock...A hernia isn't even close to that.

Quinn was able to work out. that was key. if he was out until August with injury and couldn't work out that would be a huge factor. It's like you are buying a car but you can't test drive a certain make/model. You might know the car is great but there are other products out there you can try.

Also you are comparing pass rushers to safeties. Barron doesn't play a position that is valued highly therefore teams are looking for a reason to drop him in the draft.

let it be noted I am not saying Barron sucks or will be a bad player in the league. I just don't think his value is of a rd1 lock. The Pats have huge CB and WR problems, they aren't going to pony up a 1st round pick for a hurt safety.

Yep Spoke with Gil Brandt today about barron, even before this injury not worthy at pick 16, Gil loved Upshaw and also thinks Trent my slide to us at 16

Quinn was able to work out. that was key. if he was out until August with injury and couldn't work out that would be a huge factor. It's like you are buying a car but you can't test drive a certain make/model. You might know the car is great but there are other products out there you can try.

Also you are comparing pass rushers to safeties. Barron doesn't play a position that is valued highly therefore teams are looking for a reason to drop him in the draft.

let it be noted I am not saying Barron sucks or will be a bad player in the league. I just don't think his value is of a rd1 lock. The Pats have huge CB and WR problems, they aren't going to pony up a 1st round pick for a hurt safety.

The boldedare two good points, though again with the August thing...No one is buying that date, and it's still entirely in question.

The Pats would love a safety like Barron, and late in the first is a realistic fall (not this 2nd/3rd garbage...unless it's very early 2nd). They suck everywhere in the secondary, and Barron/Chung would serve as top of the line anchors in that area. The hurt safety would have 5 months before the season to recover, and since we hear about the injury now he's got 7 months to recover. Sorry, but I'm not buying that injury is that dramatic.

The boldedare two good points, though again with the August thing...No one is buying that date, and it's still entirely in question.

The Pats would love a safety like Barron, and late in the first is a realistic fall (not this 2nd/3rd garbage...unless it's very early 2nd). They suck everywhere in the secondary, and Barron/Chung would serve as top of the line anchors in that area. The hurt safety would have 5 months before the season to recover, and since we hear about the injury now he's got 7 months to recover. Sorry, but I'm not buying that injury is that dramatic.

sadly i think barron will be a Pathole, mumbles is playin golf with saban today and tomorrow at pebble, sure he is grilling him

Heath Miller had a sports hernia pre-draft and the Steelers were still smart enough to draft him. If our idiot GM can't tell whether or not Barron can play football without seeing him run a 40 in shorts, then he should be fired tomorrow.

Ian R. Rapoport @RapSheet

From ESPN's Gene Wojciechowski: "Belichick grilled Saban about a handful of Bama's draftable players during the round." es.pn/zdN8N4

A report surfaced on Twitter last week that Alabama safety Mark Barron underwent surgery to repair a double hernia and will be out until July. Sources I spoke with confirmed the report and it was double hernia surgery- at the Senior Bowl word was it was just single hernia. At the same time I was told the recovery should be no more than 4-to-6 weeks, 8 at the most, from the time the surgery was completed.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6131

the Pats have so many problems on defense. With Sterling Moore, Safety is in way better shape than CB, LB and DL. they also need a WR to compliment Welker/Gronk.

I wouldn't worry about the Jets taking this player at 16 so belly doesn't get him at 28. chances are he will be there in rd 2 or maybe even later.

the Pats have so many problems on defense. With Sterling Moore, Safety is in way better shape than CB, LB and DL. they also need a WR to compliment Welker/Gronk.

I wouldn't worry about the Jets taking this player at 16 so belly doesn't get him at 28. chances are he will be there in rd 2 or maybe even later.

I'm not worried about that kind of pick (a block the Pats move) will happen anymore except in extreme circumstance. In fact, it's only happened in extreme circumstance, a top ten pick at a key position.

Sterling Moore?

Archived