Drew Magary says you're a fool if you let your kid play football.

SenorGato

Let's say there is enough talent from the poorer regions to sustain the sport.

What do the demographics become for advertisers? why would cadillac and IBM pay millions of dollars to advertise their luxury level products to people in poor regions? It becomes more like Nascar and less like the current NFL.

I'm not following. Where the talent comes from doesnt change the audience. If corporate big wigs are into it today, they arent going to stop being fans based on where the talent comes from which isnt going to be much different than where it already is coming from.

Yes the sport always has been dangerous but society hasn't always been this litigious. also the nature of the danger has changed over the years. 80 years ago before helmets, there were skull fractures. And it was a marginal sport. With helmets the worst case scenario was a Mike Utley situation, very rare.

Now with the new brain science, it seems everyone is at risk for brain damage. That's not good. And unlike 80 years ago parents will sue at the drop of a hat. any way you guys want to slice it this is a terrible development for the sport of football.

honestly i think the solution is a watering down of the game i.e. banning 3 point stance and making it more like basketball. it sucks but I don't see any magic helmet changing the basic problem.

Actually I have to disagree. The high school makes it mandatory you participate in educational symposiums and get your signature that you understand the risk. Kid could not even participate until you took the concussion test and had a sports physical that cleared them.

serious question Crusher did the high school specifically mention CTE and long term, irreversible brain damage from concussions? If they did that's a forward thinking high school. Cause that science is controversial and relatively new.

I have three daughters none of them ask about playing football cause they have smelled baby Crusher after practice. Probably turn them queer. LOL

Baby Crusher will play until he can't. Just the way it is. Starting Varsity in a big program as a freshman and being made the sophmore captain this year solidifed in his mind this is what he wants to do. All I could do is train him properly and take care of him best I can. Being a ex world strongman competitor and power lifter he caught my bug for weight training so thats a good thing for him. On his 16th birthday he squatted 405 for each year of his like. In two sets. LOL

My son Sal is the one I really worry about. Small thin and not naturally aggressive. But he's got wicked hands and really good feet. But every time he gets popped I get nervous. With the success his brother has had I don;t see him giving up anytime soon. I do wish he would.

Yeah I know....I have 4 daughters and one son.......but they are all into sports.....they all look up to the next one.....hope all the best for you and your kids Crush!

In my day I would work out for about 4 hours a day......that's what we used to do....never complained...just did.

Tuffer than you think. Ice time is at a premium and the money needed to just get a kid started is pretty high. Travel hockey is so expensive it will cost you an organ.

I kinda disagree with the statement where the talent comes from....there is a lot of talent (in baseball, football, basketball, hockey) right here in the tristate area. And I would stack some of the teams from this area against any (at least on the HS level) team/region in the country.

serious question Crusher did the high school specifically mention CTE and long term, irreversible brain damage from concussions? If they did that's a forward thinking high school. Cause that science is controversial and relatively new.

This is the link we where given for the computerize quiz and vertification. They also did a symposium.

http://www.fcps.edu/supt/activities/atp/concussioneducationfirst.htm

Tuffer than you think. Ice time is at a premium and the money needed to just get a kid started is pretty high. Travel hockey is so expensive it will cost you an organ.

Yes it is. Ouch

Two of my kids did it.

Grand kid is doing both travel hockey, and MMA. Both super expensive Thank God his father is rich. :)

I kinda disagree with the statement where the talent comes from....there is a lot of talent (in baseball, football, basketball, hockey) right here in the tristate area. And I would stack some of the teams from this area against any (at least on the HS level) team/region in the country.

There is talent every where. I even stated so, but you're wrong if you think the the tri-state area can compete with the rest of the country.

Yes, there are a couple of schools that compete Nationally up there...I think one I see every year is Don Brosco? or something like that but I'd be shocked if the top rated schools werent predominately in the South specifically FL and then Tx. I have to imagine that would be the case.

In fact, this made me check Rivals. Very few top 100 programs for the NE period.

http://highschool.rivals.com/viewrankhs.asp?ra_key=819

My sons have played Pop Warner and ice hockey. I dont think there was anything terribly dangerous in either. The equipment has improved dramatically since I played. And most of the coaches were screened and well-prepared. from my days as a tyke, there were at least 2 local coaches who were arrested for pedophilia. Further there is contact in basketball and baseball as well, although not nearly as much. The article is alarmist. But to each his own.

Bigger issue with youth sports is time. This is only my experience as a kid who played Pop Warner, little league and CYO hoops and a parent; Problem with both contact sports(hockey and football) is kids do not appreciate the time and practice commitment. it becomes less fun and more drudgery.Suspect the reason contact sports are more given to injuries now is less about abuse or physical stuff than because the seasons are too freaking long. Football begins in July, ends in November and has 2 or 3 practices and at least 1 game. Hockey goes from September to March with a long practice and 1 or 2 games. I'm not a big fan of running around every weeknight along with homework to deal with such a committment.Kids don't like that either. . Might be better if instead of teams and leagues and games youth sports ran clinics and camps. But it's not changing. Increasingly kids cannot play more than 1 winter sport and 1 spring/summer sport. And it gets worse in high school, whewre ourt other son was told to pick one sport and that's it.Kids should be exposed to as many sports as they want to play, but it's simply not realistic any more.I'd expect my tyke will play baseball (which he loves and is good at ), basketball(because all his friends and he are on the same team and he can at least play okay) and start lax next year.

Yes it is. Ouch

Two of my kids did it.

Grand kid is doing both travel hockey, and MMA. Both super expensive Thank God his father is rich. :)

Travel hockey,in money, time and travel, is borderline insane. And many of these youth programs fill the parent's heads with fantasies about Div. I scholarships at exactly a time when between cost and Title 9 men's hockey is being cut everywhere.

There is talent every where. I even stated so, but you're wrong if you think the the tri-state area can compete with the rest of the country.

Yes, there are a couple of schools that compete Nationally up there...I think one I see every year is Don Brosco? or something like that but I'd be shocked if the top rated schools werent predominately in the South specifically FL and then Tx. I have to imagine that would be the case.

In fact, this made me check Rivals. Very few top 100 programs for the NE period.

http://highschool.ri....asp?ra_key=819

Jif, your right to a point, but there are some HS school programs here that are unbelievable...you mentioned one, Teaneck in basketball is another, and a few baseball programs as well. Quality vs. quantity......

I agree with a whole lot of what Bit is saying about the sport. Unless major changes are made that soften up the game, the kind of things most football fans are already getting mad at, this sport will see a major decline. It's too dangerous and despite it all people aren't THAT stupid (I hope/find myself liking to believe).

Also the comps to boxing and horse racing are apt for another reason...Both sports fell off because people got sick of how contrived it all seemed/felt/was. Of course, on this point I'm making a claim with no form of proof at all, but the NFL reeks of fixes every g'damn week. I'll stfu about that now.

Question: Do you guys think the use of helmets within the sport gives players a false sense of confidence to lead with the head in the first place? They're doing some radical things with helmet design, but I wonder if that just makes football players imagine themselves even moreso as human missles...Iunno man there's just something fishy about this sport as a whole.

I agree with a whole lot of what Bit is saying about the sport. Unless major changes are made that soften up the game, the kind of things most football fans are already getting mad at, this sport will see a major decline. It's too dangerous and despite it all people aren't THAT stupid (I hope/find myself liking to believe).

Also the comps to boxing and horse racing are apt for another reason...Both sports fell off because people got sick of how contrived it all seemed/felt/was. Of course, on this point I'm making a claim with no form of proof at all, but the NFL reeks of fixes every g'damn week. I'll stfu about that now.

Question: Do you guys think the use of helmets within the sport gives players a false sense of confidence to lead with the head in the first place? They're doing some radical things with helmet design, but I wonder if that just makes football players imagine themselves even moreso as human missles...Iunno man there's just something fishy about this sport as a whole.

Antecdoatl, but as to hockey as the helmets went on the sticks went up. Players looked not to hit someone in the head, because it could happen to them. Football is the same; if you went back to a leather helmet the tackling would be more about shoulders aimed at legs and trunks rather than helmets aimed at heads. But it won't happen.

They can try to make the helmets safer, but you cannot remove the load/stress to the neck transfer from the head. In other words and I believe it's already been said its a false sense of security......

Archived