Westerman a Dolphin

GREENBEAN

OLB has to be a top priority for the Jets in this draft. They may get another year from Thomas but I doubt they will rely on him to start and play a full load. And Pace is getting up in years, too.

So a roster spot will have to be set aside for either a first or second round OLB. Westerman was that spot. He played himself into the lowest rung of the NYJ OLB depth chart. The only place to go from there was Miami. All is right with the world.

On the flip side I had the Jets resigning him in that off season contest so it stings.

he had a groin injury that limited his effectiveness. Players get hurt, it happens.

Maybe so, but even still what the Jets saw out of Westerman over the course of 3 years wasn't enough to even tender him as an UDFA, which says all you really need to know about their opinions of him. As far as the Maybin comparison, that guy had more sacks in 13 games last year than Westerman has had in his entire career, so I have no idea where that is coming from.

As far as the Maybin comparison, that guy had more sacks in 13 games last year than Westerman has had in his entire career, so I have no idea where that is coming from.

yes but we are talking about the difference between 6 career sacks and 4.5 career sacks. 1.5 sack difference over 3 seasons. hence the phrase "about as effective" which is to say marginally. They are both Marginal producers of sacks.

yes but we are talking about the difference between 6 career sacks and 4.5 career sacks. 1.5 sack difference over 3 seasons. hence the phrase "about as effective" which is to say marginally. They are both Marginal producers of sacks.

For their careers perhaps, but you know the Jets are only looking at their own sample size and as far as they're concerned, you've got a guy who put up 6 sacks over 13 games versus one who put up 4.5 over 3 seasons. Whether the reason was health, upside, productivity, or whatever it may have been, my main point is that in the end, the Jets weren't interested enough to slap him with a low-dollar tag to even just bring him back into camp to compete.

Whether the reason was health, upside, productivity, or whatever it may have been, my main point is that in the end, the Jets weren't interested enough to slap him with a low-dollar tag to even just bring him back into camp to compete.

we agree more or less, my point is that these guys aren't that different. they are both DPR and yes Maybin is better than Westerman, but only slightly.

Let's not pretend that Maybin put up 20 sacks. In fact he kinda dissapeared down the stretch, when the team needed him the most. The hype on Maybin throughout the year, you'd think he was Jason Babin or Jared Allen. Where was he in the Eagles, Giants games?

we agree more or less, my point is that these guys aren't that different. they are both DPR and yes Maybin is better than Westerman, but only slightly.

Let's not pretend that Maybin put up 20 sacks. In fact he kinda dissapeared down the stretch, when the team needed him the most. The hype on Maybin throughout the year, you'd think he was Jason Babin or Jared Allen. Where was he in the Eagles, Giants games?

Oh yeah, I hear you. Maybin definitely disappeared down the stretch and needs to continue to develop his game, but there are two things I appreciate about him and I think it's what has helped him to win over both the team and the fans. The guy has speed off the ball unmatched by any other player in the Jets front 7, something this team hasn't had since they traded away Abraham, and beyond even that, the kid hustles his a$$ off until the whistle blows, which is always going to make coaches happy. There's certainly a long way to go, but I think it's those two things (and the upside that comes along with them) that, despite only marginal differences in productivity, easily won him the spot over Westerman.

Slightly? In one season Maybin put up more sacks than Westerman did in his 3 year career with the Jets.

I'd say he's significantly better as rushing the passer.

To be fair in the Eagles game he wasn't on on the field all that much. McCoy was averaging 5.7 yards per carry for I think 120 yards.

When that happens you don't get in many 3rd and long passing downs. Think they only had 10 3rd downs all game.

Westerman had many more snaps then Maybin did over the course of the season. They used him a lot after BT went down. I was really pulling for the kid, , he just lost his job to Maybin.

Sorry to see him play for the Fish

Slightly? In one season Maybin put up more sacks than Westerman did in his 3 year career with the Jets.

yes, slightly more. 1.5 sacks. we are talking about Jason Taylor in 2010 level of production. it also should be noted Maybin was absolutely useless and sackless for his Bills stint.

To be fair in the Eagles game he wasn't on on the field all that much.

he had at least 1 chance where he had his arms around Vick's waist and Vick shook him off. That happens to alot of DE but overall, Maybin faded down the stretch.

The Maybin excitement was a direct result of the spectacular failure of ya boy VG.

yes, slightly more. 1.5 sacks. we are talking about Jason Taylor in 2010 level of production. it also should be noted Maybin was absolutely useless and sackless for his Bills stint.

he had at least 1 chance where he had his arms around Vick's waist and Vick shook him off. That happens to alot of DE but overall, Maybin faded down the stretch.

I'm not arguing Bit. he did. He was getting more attention. He is at best a role player. Still, that role may get him 10 sacks this year. Pretty good role.

At 225+- it's a shame he can't cover at all, but if he could I guess he would still be with the Bills

The Maybin excitement was a direct result of the spectacular failure of ya boy VG.

That's definitely a big part of it, but you also have to consider that, even forgetting for a moment the actual sack numbers, he still brings a different element that this team hasn't had at all since 2005. That's a long freakin' time.

That's definitely a big part of it, but you also have to consider that, even forgetting for a moment the actual sack numbers, he still brings a different element that this team hasn't had at all since 2005. That's a long freakin' time.

Those are the same thing so far as I'm concerned. We all believed we finally had a guy who could get after the QB in Gholston. We were all pissed/disappointed when it didn't happen. Maybin was that glimmer of hope that maybe we finally found a guy that could generate pressure on his own.

Honestly, when you bring up 2005, it makes me feel like we need to draft 2 potential passrushers this year. A real GM should be able to find a RT somewhere. WR isn't as important IMO because the QB stinks and we're going to try to minimize his role. We need a playmaker or two in the front 7, we haven't had that in forever.

Those are the same thing so far as I'm concerned. We all believed we finally had a guy who could get after the QB in Gholston. We were all pissed/disappointed when it didn't happen. Maybin was that glimmer of hope that maybe we finally found a guy that could generate pressure on his own.

Honestly, when you bring up 2005, it makes me feel like we need to draft 2 potential passrushers this year. A real GM should be able to find a RT somewhere. WR isn't as important IMO because the QB stinks and we're going to try to minimize his role. We need a playmaker or two in the front 7, we haven't had that in forever.

I get what you're saying and that certainly makes sense, although I didn't even necessarily mean what Maybin brings in general as a pass rusher (which I suppose also could apply, although Thomas and Pace have at least had a couple of decent seasons in that department), but rather the type of speed he brings to the rush, which even if Gholston turned out to be what the Jets wanted, he was still not going to be that kind of player. The Jets have tried to bring in a number of guys over the years to address the pass rush, but none have ever brought that element back to this team. That said, the truth is this defense has been pretty damn good despite not having any sort of top notch pass rusher and getting one could really be the difference in it being truly elite.

Archived