Forsberg career over?

faba

Associated Press

STOCKHOLM, Sweden -- Peter Forsberg sustained a concussion Thursday night in his first Swedish Elite League game since breaking his hand six weeks ago -- an injury that could end his career, according to his father.

Forsberg, who plays for the MoDo team coached by his father, was cross-checked into the boards by Farjestad's Peter Nordstrom during the second period of a playoff game. Nordstrom was ejected for the hit.

"He's had his share of concussions, I think it is enough now [to cause him to retire]," coach Kent Forsberg said.

MoDo's team doctor had Forsberg under observation at the team hotel.

"The first thing (Nordstrom) did in the game was to hit Peter right on his arms," Forsberg's father said. "You do such a thing for only one reason."

Farjestad won 5-4 to take a 3-1 lead in the quarterfinal series.

The head injury was the latest to plague Forsberg's otherwise brilliant hockey career.

He had a handful of concussions while playing in the NHL with the Colorado Avalanche.

Forsberg had an ankle injury that kept him out for the entire 2001-02 regular season, and he missed the final two rounds of the 2001 playoffs because of a ruptured spleen. Forsberg has also had surgery on his shoulders, groin area and thigh.

It's unclear if Forsberg planned to stay in Sweden or return to North America after playing in his home country during the lockout that canceled the entire NHL season.

Forsberg career could be over- it would be a shame because he is the type of player with playmaking skills that hockey needs to build and regain it's image.

Forsberg should be a FLYER!!!! He was drafted by them in the first round in '91 (I think). I can't watch the guy play without getting p*ssed off that he's not wearing Orange & Black. Yes, he's had his share of injuries, but he is one of the best players in the game. Two Cups, Hart, and Calder trophies!

It would be hockey's loss.

Forsberg should be a FLYER!!!! He was drafted by them in the first round in '91 (I think). I can't watch the guy play without getting p*ssed off that he's not wearing Orange & Black. Yes, he's had his share of injuries, but he is one of the best players in the game. Two Cups, Hart, and Calder trophies!

It would be hockey's loss.

You have a good memory GGG-it was in 1991 he was drafted -traded to Quebec in a Sather type move by Philly front office.

Brian Leetch isn't a Ranger. Mark Messier needed to retire YEARS ago.

Mark Messier was the best player on the Rangers two years ago-he is a great one but that tells you how bad the Rangers other players were.

Guns: No love for Peter?

Another brilliant move by the Flyers Front Office. They trade Forsberg for Lindros. How'd that work out for us? :cry:

It Must be that Colorado-Red Wing rivalry that has Guns so mean to Forsberg. It is from what I know a pretty intense rivalry (or was one) since there is no hockey.

Mark Messier was the best player on the Rangers two years ago-he is a great one but that tells you how bad the Rangers other players were.

Couldn't agree more faba...

When Mess last played a full season (2004) he was the teams 2nd leading scorer (43) and had plus 3 in P/minus on a awful team.

2 things really make him look bad.

1) He plays in the worst scoring era in NHL history. Now a days, sadly, players with 80 points lead the league in scoring....Had the great hockey of the early 1990's never gone away, he would've scored 80 to 90 points as a 43 year old and been widley praised for playing at high level at that age....Let's be honest, stats are half what they used to be, so everyone looks awful in this era--except the goalie (even backups look like Hall of Famers).

2) His team was so awful, it just didn't seem to matter.

When I watched the Blue Shirts, it was Lindros who looked totally washed up--always dinged :twisted:

It Must be that Colorado-Red Wing rivalry that has Guns so mean to Forsberg. It is from what I know a pretty intense rivalry (or was one) since there is no hockey.

Faba figured it out. You'd be hard pressed to find a Red Wings fan that would say anything nice about a member of the Avalanche. No love for Forsberg, Hedjuk, and definitely no love for Foote.

Greatest moment ever is when we lit them up for 7 goals in the conference finals. Roy got yanked...god that was great

Bye Bye Forsberg. Take your prepubescent goatee and head back to Sweden. it's been fun watching you be the Red Wings b!tch for so many seasons.

Seconded.

And Guns, did you know it was the Wings who actually forced the Roy trade to Colorado? I dunno if you remember this game, but it was the Wings who torched Roy for 7 goals, before Mario Trembley pulled him, and Roy chewed him out on the bench. I think the final was Wings 11, Montreal 3... or something like that. But, after that game, Roy never played another game for Montreal, and he got traded to Colorado.

And yeah, that Game 7 was sweet... I had my buddy over, who is an 'Lanche fan, and he was outside by the halfway point of the first. The only thing sweeter than that gave 7 was the game 6, when the Wings won 2-0. On the first goal... when it looked like Roy stopped Yzerman, I bitched a fit. Then the same buddy (who's the 'Lanche fan) bitched the same fit I did. I didn't notice Roy try to go all Statue of Liberty with the puck, and show it to everyone, allowing Shanny to knock it in. That was just a great game.

Couldn't agree more faba...

When Mess last played a full season (2004) he was the teams 2nd leading scorer (43) and had plus 3 in P/minus on a awful team.

2 things really make him look bad.

Another thing about Mess, and I am a Ranger fan for life...if you saw any game at the Garden last year after that first month, he looked like he was playing out the string. He would come out on his first few shifts, skate down to the corner, throw a few late elbows, and take himself off after about 30 seconds. As the game wore on, you wouldn't even see the late elbows...just Mess moving down ice in a linear fashion. At least Gretzky finished up dropping thougthful passes to inferior linemates. Mess's puck handling really made me wish he would have hung 'em up. On the other hand, can you think of anyone else playing last year that you would want to follow around the ice? I can't. Hope the lockout goes on until AARP lets him in...then we can get back to basics!

Seconded.

And Guns, did you know it was the Wings who actually forced the Roy trade to Colorado? I dunno if you remember this game, but it was the Wings who torched Roy for 7 goals, before Mario Trembley pulled him, and Roy chewed him out on the bench. I think the final was Wings 11, Montreal 3... or something like that. But, after that game, Roy never played another game for Montreal, and he got traded to Colorado.

And yeah, that Game 7 was sweet... I had my buddy over, who is an 'Lanche fan, and he was outside by the halfway point of the first. The only thing sweeter than that gave 7 was the game 6, when the Wings won 2-0. On the first goal... when it looked like Roy stopped Yzerman, I bitched a fit. Then the same buddy (who's the 'Lanche fan) bitched the same fit I did. I didn't notice Roy try to go all Statue of Liberty with the puck, and show it to everyone, allowing Shanny to knock it in. That was just a great game.

`

Trust me storm. All Red Wing games are etched in stone in my memory. I remember them all.

Forsberg is the man, name a better player who has the

skill he has,, along with the toughness.

The Dead Wings will surely miss him.

Thank you Booby Clarke, Baby Lindros for Peter the Great.

Sorry GGG, you know i'm a Nordique/Avs fan

Dead Wings? Who won more cups over the past ten years? Yeah... that's what I thought.

that's easy.

t1_yzerman_all-01.jpg

Dude... did you just start watching hockey like five years ago? Yzerman is a LEGEND. Foresberg, while a nice player, is not that good.

Dude i seen them all, been a fan for 40 years, my uncle was GM of Nords, so i was real close to the game.

Best player ever Gretzky and Orr tied

Howe is number 2

Steve Y was a very good player will be in HOF, if i had to take Forsberg or SY in his prime, it would be

Forsberg. Not even close

You have to remember that Stevie was a purely offensive Center until Scotty Bowman came around and modified his game back towards the middle of the offense/defense line, which in my mind brought the cup home to Det. Had SY stayed purely offensive in nature, he'd be up there right now when it comes to players known for their offense

Forsberg is good, no doubting that at all. But once Bowman took over, SY and PF we're playing 2 different styles of hockey.

SY is good but not as tough as Forsberg.

Forsberg's skill with the puck is also unmatched

Not tough enough? Yzerman played the entire 2002 stanley cup playoffs on basically one leg, because he required surgery on his knee that took 6 months to recover from. And through all that, he still managed to net 6 goals and 17 assists. The guy is tough as nails. He just never opens his mouth about it.

Archived