There is no I in TEBOW

Maxman

Can't spell Sanchez without she.

LOL.

Sperm on a serious note I may have missed it but was looking forward to reading your thoughts on the trade for Tebow.

I think whether we are pro or anti Sanchez the trade takes any chance he may have had of developing into the QB we all should want him to and flushed it down the toilet.

What is your take?

LOL.

Sperm on a serious note I may have missed it but was looking forward to reading your thoughts on the trade for Tebow.

I think whether we are pro or anti Sanchez the trade takes any chance he may have had of developing into the QB we all should want him to and flushed it down the toilet.

What is your take?

I'm not anti Sanchez. Technically I'm pro Sanchez and root for him to do well every game, I just think he's a lousy QB and wish we had one who was at least mildly above average (I'm not greedy enough to wish for an elite one). The venting you read from me is from a loyal fan who is pissed off that our QB sucks. Again.

As far as Tebow, here's what I think:

He's a good guy and a true leader and the team could use some of that. That being said, I think it's a little too "Wow, we have a round hole and here's this great round peg! Weeeeeeeewww!!" and stinks of a GM who thinks he can buy team chemistry. Winning breeds chemistry.

I think he can be very effective being inserted here & there. The team needs the ball out of Sanchez's hands more whether that's handing off to RBs or wildcat or whatever.

The draft pick is well worth it. A measurable percentage of 4th rounders aren't even in the league 3 years later. Clearly Tebow will be in the league for some time (whether or not he becomes a long-term starting QB) and the beloved Brad Smith - a 4th rounder himself - wasn't nearly as valuable or well thought of entering his 3rd year. The swapping of 6th/7th was insignificant at the time and is erased totally now that we got something for Stanton.

The only thing we're left with is his cap hit. If he's in the $2-3M range that's worth it. He's a game changer and can double up as both a change of pace for the offense and as a backup QB that wouldn't leave the team without hope.

However I don't know the details of his escalator incentives and if he jumps to $6M+ in the absence of becoming the starting QB then the trade is a bad one because that cannot be justified for a backup role player, and he'll end up being a one year rental for a decent draft pick. Even if a team likes a player, if he isn't great he has a pricetag above which he simply isn't worth it. San Fran likes Alex Smith. But they're paying him $8M/year not $13M/year or whatever. So Tebow can be easily justified at under $3M but if he jumps to more than twice that he isn't worth it (barring an unforeseen turnaround in his passing skills).

He's not a good passer but neither is Sanchez. More than adequate as a #2 QB who also fills the role of getting the ball out of Sanchez's hands every week. We won't be winning any superbowls with Sanchez anyway, so I've decided to have fun with it.

I'm not anti Sanchez. Technically I'm pro Sanchez and root for him to do well every game, I just think he's a lousy QB and wish we had one who was at least mildly above average (I'm not greedy enough to wish for an elite one). The venting you read from me is from a loyal fan who is pissed off that our QB sucks. Again.

As far as Tebow, here's what I think:

He's a good guy and a true leader and the team could use some of that. That being said, I think it's a little too "Wow, we have a round hole and here's this great round peg! Weeeeeeeewww!!" and stinks of a GM who thinks he can buy team chemistry. Winning breeds chemistry.

I think he can be very effective being inserted here & there. The team needs the ball out of Sanchez's hands more whether that's handing off to RBs or wildcat or whatever.

The draft pick is well worth it. A measurable percentage of 4th rounders aren't even in the league 3 years later. Clearly Tebow will be in the league for some time (whether or not he becomes a long-term starting QB) and the beloved Brad Smith - a 4th rounder himself - wasn't nearly as valuable or well thought of entering his 3rd year. The swapping of 6th/7th was insignificant at the time and is erased totally now that we got something for Stanton.

The only thing we're left with is his cap hit. If he's in the $2-3M range that's worth it. He's a game changer and can double up as both a change of pace for the offense and as a backup QB that wouldn't leave the team without hope.

However I don't know the details of his escalator incentives and if he jumps to $6M+ in the absence of becoming the starting QB then the trade is a bad one because that cannot be justified for a backup role player, and he'll end up being a one year rental for a decent draft pick. Even if a team likes a player, if he isn't great he has a pricetag above which he simply isn't worth it. San Fran likes Alex Smith. But they're paying him $8M/year not $13M/year or whatever. So Tebow can be easily justified at under $3M but if he jumps to more than twice that he isn't worth it (barring an unforeseen turnaround in his passing skills).

He's not a good passer but neither is Sanchez. More than adequate as a #2 QB who also fills the role of getting the ball out of Sanchez's hands every week. We won't be winning any superbowls with Sanchez anyway, so I've decided to have fun with it.

A lot of good points.

I would rather have had Sanchez be given the chance to sink or swim without the added circus like distraction of Tebow as well as the pratice time and in game snaps loss to whatever type hybrid offense the Jets plan on running. I think Rex and Soprano will run Tebow plays a lot more than we saw from Schotty withb Brad Smith.

I hope I am wrong but I think the deal killed any chance he had for success here.

A lot of good points.

I would rather have had Sanchez be given the chance to sink or swim without the added circus like distraction of Tebow as well as the pratice time and in game snaps loss to whatever type hybrid offense the Jets plan on running. I think Rex and Soprano will run Tebow plays a lot more than we saw from Schotty withb Brad Smith.

I hope I am wrong but I think the deal killed any chance he had for success here.

If Sanchez can't handle staving off the sh*ttiest passer around then that doesn't say much about Sanchez. The first non-joke #2 QB of his career is Tim Tebow, the only QB who throws less accurately than Sanchez. That shouldn't amount to much competition to a real QB entering his 4th season after being a top-5 pick.

Enough excuses. If he sucks again it isn't because of Tim Tebow. It's because he sucks. And he'd better not since he's getting paid to be a top-10 QB at worst.

If Sanchez can't handle staving off the sh*ttiest passer around then that doesn't say much about Sanchez. The first non-joke #2 QB of his career is Tim Tebow, the only QB who throws less accurately than Sanchez. That shouldn't amount to much competition to a real QB entering his 4th season after being a top-5 pick.

Enough excuses. If he sucks again it isn't because of Tim Tebow. It's because he sucks. And he'd better not since he's getting paid to be a top-10 QB at worst.

I am not saying Tebow is competiton skill wise. Not even close.

I am saying that if we decided to extend Sanchez then this season should be one in which our FO and CS do everything possible for his growth and success as a QB. If you are even remotely implying that the Tebow trade does not impede any chance of that happening then it is not worth discussing any further.

I am not saying Tebow is competiton skill wise. Not even close.

I am saying that if we decided to extend Sanchez then this season should be one in which our FO and CS do everything possible for his growth and success as a QB. If you are even remotely implying that the Tebow trade does not impede any chance of that happening then it is not worth discussing any further.

If Sanchez needs another Mark Brunell (or a Drew Stanton) to take the next step into becoming a good QB then it is never going to happen anyway.

Archived