Draft talk

BornJetsFan1983

So how many starter do we usually get a year? I mean, i kind of am transitioning from lets use all our picks and fill in some debt to trader up and grab Richardson,

I mean it seems like the later round will have plenty of bodies that could contribute and fill in our back up spots while we could potentially grab a first rounder that will perform on day one...

thoughts? am I crazy?

It sounds crazy now that I wrote it down on here, but yeah so I think Im for Tanny making the move to grab Richardson and give us one hell of a feature back...maybe trade green for a hotdog in case mark is hungry

Checkout this list, there's years where none make the team then years where all of them are starters. http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=NYJ&lg=nfl

WOW. We've had some pretty bad drafts. Scott Frost not included of course.

Even our good one's were not all that good. lol

It's cool to see them all together like that.

Checkout this list, there's years where none make the team then years where all of them are starters.

http://www.databasef...m?tm=NYJ&lg=nfl

Great site! Thanks for the link!

Let's review the Rex era:

2009 is interesting. Three starters with three picks, albeit the starters are all on the cusp of losing their position. Funny thing is, the 6th round pick from that draft (Slauson) may have more job security than the two guys for which they traded away the rest of their draft (Sanchez & Greene).

The 2010 guys are not looking like All Pros by any stretch, but Wilson continues to improve, and McKnight has an opportunity to become a solid 3rd down back. Not sure what Conner's role will be now that Timmy is here? Then there is Vlad...somehow, he continues to get a "chance to compete for a starting position." BS, this guy would not make any other roster in the NFL.

Obviously, there are still high hopes for most of last year's picks. Mo will be a Jet for a long time. I still think they have time to develop Ellis, and I think he will be a much more productive player this year. Powell was a swing and a miss, I'm afraid. Kerley will be our slot guy for the foreseeable future, and I think McElroy will be the No. 3 QB on the roster until this dual QB offense sinks or swims. I doubt Scotty McKnight ever amounts to much, but he is back with the team and he has some potential. The trade for Caleb Schlauderaff is included in the websites list for our draftees, but he was actually drafted by the Pack. SO, if he ever makes it big in the NFL, we mustn't give Tanny the credit. :winking0001:

The Jets will add at least five draftees to the roster this year, no matter what. They could trade all of their non-compensatory picks (and likely next year's 1st) to move up for one of this year's elite players (some speculation about Richardson), and they would still have four picks in the last two rounds. This is not my favorite scenario, but Tanny has made some decent picks late in prior drafts (i.e. Slauson, Stuckey, Drew Coleman, Dreessen, Derek Ward, and Marko Cavka :rim: ).

They could move up a few spots by trading their 2012 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks to nab a pass rushing stud, ala Ingram or Coples, and likely still hold on to most of the other 7 late round picks. I would not mind this, but the guy they go get must produce this year, and it would be great if, say, two of those 7 were at least situational players.

Of course, there is the most unlikely scenario of all; the Jets stay put and keep all 10 picks, or even better, trade back and accumulate even more picks! Highly doubtful, but let's just speculate for fun. At 16, the BAP would likely be an OLB on the Jets board. There are several to choose from, and they may be happy with the guys that would be there late in RD 1. Could be Coples, Ingram, Upshaw, Perry, Mercilus, McClellin, Branch, Jones, or Curry. Depending on who you believe, all of these guys have a chance to go in the first round. That is a lot of talent at a position of need for the Jets, which gives them a great opportunity to move back and stockpile a few 2nd and 3rd round picks in a talent heavy draft.

I love Ingram and Coples, but as the draft approaches, I am leaning toward staying put to see who falls in our laps at 16. If Ingram or Coples slide, which many draft geeks think is quite possible, we pounce. If those two are gone, but most of the other guys mentioned above are still hanging around, then we move back. By doing this, we could potentially address every true need except safety, such as depth at ILB, OL, and WR. As for safety, none of the prospects outside of Barron are believed to be NFL ready, so unless they can grab him at 16, they could not add a day 1 starter anyway. Hell, with all of their picks, they could grab 3 DBs late and see what happens.

I vote for a draft where the Jets make use of at least 10 picks, ala 2006. Damn that was a fun draft, and it paid dividends for the Jets. Two All Pro O-linemen, a serviceable back up QB, a safety that everyone hates but still starts for the Jets, NEON LEON, and Drew Coleman. Obviously the meat came with the two first picks, but this year could be similar, given that they will not need to take a player in the 2nd that will not see the field.

Can't wait!!

I look at the link a lot when I need info or just want to get depressed lol.

While I'm sure it's mostly right, I have to be honest it's accuracy is a little questionable considering looking at the very first year on the list, it's already wrong. Schlauderaff was drafted by the Packers, not the Jets.

While I'm sure it's mostly right, I have to be honest it's accuracy is a little questionable considering looking at the very first year on the list, it's already wrong. Schlauderaff was drafted by the Packers, not the Jets.

I see you stay true to your TL; DR mantra. The Schlauderaff situation is addressed in my diatribe above. :ph34r::love0040:

I see you stay true to your TL; DR mantra. The Schlauderaff situation is addressed in my diatribe above. :ph34r::love0040:

That was just timing actually, when I was reading through the thread initially your post wasn't there yet.

And just to be clear, the TL;DR is referring to my own tendency to write long diatribes, and am simply beating others to the punch of saying it. Trust me, I don't judge against those who do similarly. :-P

Great site! Thanks for the link! Let's review the Rex era: 2009 is interesting. Three starters with three picks, albeit the starters are all on the cusp of losing their position. Funny thing is, the 6th round pick from that draft (Slauson) may have more job security than the two guys for which they traded away the rest of their draft (Sanchez & Greene). The 2010 guys are not looking like All Pros by any stretch, but Wilson continues to improve, and McKnight has an opportunity to become a solid 3rd down back. Not sure what Conner's role will be now that Timmy is here? Then there is Vlad...somehow, he continues to get a "chance to compete for a starting position." BS, this guy would not make any other roster in the NFL. Obviously, there are still high hopes for most of last year's picks. Mo will be a Jet for a long time. I still think they have time to develop Ellis, and I think he will be a much more productive player this year. Powell was a swing and a miss, I'm afraid. Kerley will be our slot guy for the foreseeable future, and I think McElroy will be the No. 3 QB on the roster until this dual QB offense sinks or swims. I doubt Scotty McKnight ever amounts to much, but he is back with the team and he has some potential. The trade for Caleb Schlauderaff is included in the websites list for our draftees, but he was actually drafted by the Pack. SO, if he ever makes it big in the NFL, we mustn't give Tanny the credit. :winking0001: The Jets will add at least five draftees to the roster this year, no matter what. They could trade all of their non-compensatory picks (and likely next year's 1st) to move up for one of this year's elite players (some speculation about Richardson), and they would still have four picks in the last two rounds. This is not my favorite scenario, but Tanny has made some decent picks late in prior drafts (i.e. Slauson, Stuckey, Drew Coleman, Dreessen, Derek Ward, and Marko Cavka :rim: ). They could move up a few spots by trading their 2012 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks to nab a pass rushing stud, ala Ingram or Coples, and likely still hold on to most of the other 7 late round picks. I would not mind this, but the guy they go get must produce this year, and it would be great if, say, two of those 7 were at least situational players. Of course, there is the most unlikely scenario of all; the Jets stay put and keep all 10 picks, or even better, trade back and accumulate even more picks! Highly doubtful, but let's just speculate for fun. At 16, the BAP would likely be an OLB on the Jets board. There are several to choose from, and they may be happy with the guys that would be there late in RD 1. Could be Coples, Ingram, Upshaw, Perry, Mercilus, McClellin, Branch, Jones, or Curry. Depending on who you believe, all of these guys have a chance to go in the first round. That is a lot of talent at a position of need for the Jets, which gives them a great opportunity to move back and stockpile a few 2nd and 3rd round picks in a talent heavy draft. I love Ingram and Coples, but as the draft approaches, I am leaning toward staying put to see who falls in our laps at 16. If Ingram or Coples slide, which many draft geeks think is quite possible, we pounce. If those two are gone, but most of the other guys mentioned above are still hanging around, then we move back. By doing this, we could potentially address every true need except safety, such as depth at ILB, OL, and WR. As for safety, none of the prospects outside of Barron are believed to be NFL ready, so unless they can grab him at 16, they could not add a day 1 starter anyway. Hell, with all of their picks, they could grab 3 DBs late and see what happens. I vote for a draft where the Jets make use of at least 10 picks, ala 2006. Damn that was a fun draft, and it paid dividends for the Jets. Two All Pro O-linemen, a serviceable back up QB, a safety that everyone hates but still starts for the Jets, NEON LEON, and Drew Coleman. Obviously the meat came with the two first picks, but this year could be similar, given that they will not need to take a player in the 2nd that will not see the field. Can't wait!!

I agree with a bunch of this, nice post! Couple of thoughts. One, if they moved their first, second, and third round picks that would be enough to get up to the 6th pick and get a little bit back in return (maybe a 5th round pick while giving a 7th round pick back). That would assure a chance of Richardson, Blackmon, or Claiborne - I would imagine they'd only do the trade if Claiborne was off the board. Even so I wouldn't be thrilled with it because I think when the team's as weak as they are at so many positions those 2nd and 3rd round picks are really valuable because they're potential starters. But it's a classic Tannenbaum move, and it does allow them to jump up pretty far. Even better if Tannehill and Claiborne go before 6 then you're able to get your choice of Richardson/Blackmon at 6 or just wait until 7 and give up a little bit less or get a little bit more back, maybe a 4th and a 5th in return. Again I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but it's probably on the table as something realistic. If they're targeting a pass rusher they could probably wait until 11 or 12, depending on if they like both Ingram or Coples. Once one of them comes off the board then you're probably going to want to move up, but that could probably wait until 11 or 12, and then you're talking about giving up a 3rd round pick or even exchanging your 2nd for a 3rd which would be pretty nice.

Only two other thoughts. One, your trade down scenario I love. Unrealistic, but I'm hoping Tannenbaum surprises this year. Also, I wouldn't presume they can't find a starting safety outside of Barron. That's a position where mid-round picks can come in and start, we've seen it on the Jets in the past with Coleman who was a 5th round pick I believe and Rhodes who was a 4th. There are plenty of guys in the 2nd to 5th round range who I think could come in and take the starting job from Smith. Just because they're not as good as Barron doesn't mean they're not better than what we have on the team right now!

And a separate draft related thought. That Ingram rumor seems legit and there are almost always leaks with the Jets, but I think it'll be interesting to see what comes out as we get closer to the draft. That seemed to come out a bit early and there's a chance it was a smokescreen as realistic as it sounded.

That was just timing actually, when I was reading through the thread initially your post wasn't there yet.

And just to be clear, the TL;DR is referring to my own tendency to write long diatribes, and am simply beating others to the punch of saying it. Trust me, I don't judge against those who do similarly. :-P

Ha, ha, I see. Glad to know that I am not the only one that writes sh*t that no one will ever read! :cheers:

I agree with a bunch of this, nice post! Couple of thoughts. One, if they moved their first, second, and third round picks that would be enough to get up to the 6th pick and get a little bit back in return (maybe a 5th round pick while giving a 7th round pick back). That would assure a chance of Richardson, Blackmon, or Claiborne - I would imagine they'd only do the trade if Claiborne was off the board. Even so I wouldn't be thrilled with it because I think when the team's as weak as they are at so many positions those 2nd and 3rd round picks are really valuable because they're potential starters. But it's a classic Tannenbaum move, and it does allow them to jump up pretty far. Even better if Tannehill and Claiborne go before 6 then you're able to get your choice of Richardson/Blackmon at 6 or just wait until 7 and give up a little bit less or get a little bit more back, maybe a 4th and a 5th in return. Again I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but it's probably on the table as something realistic. If they're targeting a pass rusher they could probably wait until 11 or 12, depending on if they like both Ingram or Coples. Once one of them comes off the board then you're probably going to want to move up, but that could probably wait until 11 or 12, and then you're talking about giving up a 3rd round pick or even exchanging your 2nd for a 3rd which would be pretty nice.

Only two other thoughts. One, your trade down scenario I love. Unrealistic, but I'm hoping Tannenbaum surprises this year. Also, I wouldn't presume they can't find a starting safety outside of Barron. That's a position where mid-round picks can come in and start, we've seen it on the Jets in the past with Coleman who was a 5th round pick I believe and Rhodes who was a 4th. There are plenty of guys in the 2nd to 5th round range who I think could come in and take the starting job from Smith. Just because they're not as good as Barron doesn't mean they're not better than what we have on the team right now!

And a separate draft related thought. That Ingram rumor seems legit and there are almost always leaks with the Jets, but I think it'll be interesting to see what comes out as we get closer to the draft. That seemed to come out a bit early and there's a chance it was a smokescreen as realistic as it sounded.

Thanks! I am certainly no trade expert, but I would think it would be rather costly to move up to top 6 territory. Trading up could cost more because there will be more teams willing to do it this year, as they do not have to factor in huge salaries to the equation. They could go the Sanchez route and involve players in the trade, but that is much too difficult to speculate. I would bet the Rams will be greedy at no. 6 b/c the skins sold the farm for RGIII and there will likely be multiple suitors there, especially if Tannehill goes early. At minimum, I think it would cost the Jets their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year, but I could easily see the Rams squeezing the turnip until they get some our late picks too. Who knows?

As for getting as starter at safety, I am just relying on the experts' opinions. There seems to be a consensus that this draft is weak at safety, but it could happen for sure. My theory is that they will resign Leonhard, and Landry will be the other starter. A couple of cripples, but could be a great tandem if they can stay healthy. Rex does not hire safeties to provide coverage, so I do not share the same fears as others about not having a true FS on the roster. I certainly would not mind adding safety depth, but I do not agree with everyone about it being a major priority. JMHO.

Ha, ha, I see. Glad to know that I am not the only one that writes sh*t that no one will ever read! :cheers:

Thanks! I am certainly no trade expert, but I would think it would be rather costly to move up to top 6 territory. Trading up could cost more because there will be more teams willing to do it this year, as they do not have to factor in huge salaries to the equation. They could go the Sanchez route and involve players in the trade, but that is much too difficult to speculate. I would bet the Rams will be greedy at no. 6 b/c the skins sold the farm for RGIII and there will likely be multiple suitors there, especially if Tannehill goes early. At minimum, I think it would cost the Jets their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year, but I could easily see the Rams squeezing the turnip until they get some our late picks too. Who knows?

As for getting as starter at safety, I am just relying on the experts' opinions. There seems to be a consensus that this draft is weak at safety, but it could happen for sure. My theory is that they will resign Leonhard, and Landry will be the other starter. A couple of cripples, but could be a great tandem if they can stay healthy. Rex does not hire safeties to provide coverage, so I do not share the same fears as others about not having a true FS on the roster. I certainly would not mind adding safety depth, but I do not agree with everyone about it being a major priority. JMHO.

That's a pretty popular opinion as far as the trading goes, and I guess I disagree with it but we'll see what happens. In the past because top 10 picks were so expensive financially, you saw teams that were willing to take far less than the value chart dictated to get out of those picks. Look at how little the Jets gave to move up from 17 to 5 to take Sanchez for example. There were few trades because nobody wanted to make those picks and pay such a high price for those players, and those that did often took less than the value chart dictated. Now with the rookie wage scale I think we'll see more trades that match the value chart. The Redskins-Rams trade is more of an outlier than anything else I think. The Redskins were desperate to get RGIII bidding against a team in Cleveland that had far more ammo (higher first round pick this year and another first round selection this year). They had to give up a ton if they wanted RGIII, the clear cut #2 QB in a draft class with 2 elite QB's.

I do think as far as the safeties go, if Leonhard is re-signed and healthy then you're not going to get a starter outside of Barron, so I'd agree with that. However as the roster stands now it's Smith and Landry starting, and I think there's around 10 safeties in the draft who could give Smith a run for his money. Wouldn't take that much to upgrade him. I'd imagine in reality unless Barron's available and they take him they'll take a guy they like in round 5 or 6, and he'll probably end up getting some play time when Landry and/or Leonhard get hurt. So I guess I agree to an extent in terms of what they'll realistically do, but if they really wanted to bring in a starter out of this draft I think they could do it relatively easily with a guy in rounds 2-5 given how awful Smith is. A somewhat related move I think they could make is to take a big corner a-la Trumaine Johnson out of Montana or Brandon Hardin (I think is his name) out of Oregon State with the idea of using him at corner and safety, but mostly to match up with tight ends. You know Rex loves versatility in defensive players and that would certainly be a helpful type of player to have on the roster with all the problems tight ends have givent his defense, and they've expressed interest in Johnson at the very least. Hardin kind of recently came onto the radar after a huge Pro Day, missed his senior season with a broken shoulder I think so he's a bit of a sleeper.

Archived