Cimini: Braylon Still on Jets Radar

flgreen

Braylon still on the Jets' radar

April, 19, 2012

Apr 19

4:19

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The Jets need a starting-caliber wide receiver to play opposite Santonio Holmes, and they're still considering former Jet Braylon Edwards for the role.

"I wouldn't rule him out," GM Mike Tannenbaum said Thursday at the Jets' pre-draft news conference.

Tannenbaum said he doesn't expect to add any players before next week's draft, noting that Edwards could be a possibility in May or June. Right now, Edwards is rehabbing a knee injury from last season.

The Jets had a chance to keep Edwards after the 2010 season, but they opted for Holmes -- both were unrestricted free agents at the time. Edwards ended up signing a one-year deal with the 49ers.

Tannenbaum praised Edwards' blocking ability (which could be key in their run-oriented offense) and he called Edwards a "tremendous" practice player.

The plans could change if they use their first-round pick on a wide receiver, namely Notre Dame's Michael Floyd. Joey Clinkscales, the Jets' VP of college scouting, spoke highly of Floyd.

Braylon still on the Jets' radar

April, 19, 2012

Apr 19

4:19

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The Jets need a starting-caliber wide receiver to play opposite Santonio Holmes, and they're still considering former Jet Braylon Edwards for the role.

"I wouldn't rule him out," GM Mike Tannenbaum said Thursday at the Jets' pre-draft news conference.

Tannenbaum said he doesn't expect to add any players before next week's draft, noting that Edwards could be a possibility in May or June. Right now, Edwards is rehabbing a knee injury from last season.

The Jets had a chance to keep Edwards after the 2010 season, but they opted for Holmes -- both were unrestricted free agents at the time. Edwards ended up signing a one-year deal with the 49ers.

Tannenbaum praised Edwards' blocking ability (which could be key in their run-oriented offense) and he called Edwards a "tremendous" practice player.

The plans could change if they use their first-round pick on a wide receiver, namely Notre Dame's Michael Floyd. Joey Clinkscales, the Jets' VP of college scouting, spoke highly of Floyd.

Saw the story on my phone earlier, but didn't see this part... interesting.

Great news. Only problem I see is if you do get a guy like Floyd or Hill in the draft, then it might be tough to get enough chances for Holmes and Edwards. And if that happens, well... you know they're not gonna respond favorably.

I'll be seriously depressed if they take Hill in the first. If Floyd is there ( I doubt it) There will be no Braylon. Holmes isn't going to respond favorably no matter what happens.

I'll be seriously depressed if they take Hill in the first. If Floyd is there ( I doubt it) There will be no Braylon. Holmes isn't going to respond favorably no matter what happens.

I agree Floyd is the better pick - but the chances are slim. Holmes would prob be happiest with Braylon...not that his thoughts should be a determining issue

I agree Floyd is the better pick - but the chances are slim. Holmes would prob be happiest with Braylon...not that his thoughts should be a determining issue

Santonio is hard to please. He wants someone who well free him up to catch more balls, but he doesn't want to be upstaged and be a number 2 either. I am against the whole Floyd talk. I prefer to bring in a vet and focus our bucks on other places... like someone to take Landry's spot when he goes down week three.

Another year and maybe a pick or two back I'd love Floyd but the WR class is too deep to go for him in the first. Plus we have glaring holes at S and RT that need immediate attention, not to mention a non-existent pass rush. We can get away with our LB situation for this year but Pace, Scott, and Thomas are old and not the future, so I think that needs to be addressed early on too.

I do like the idea of bringing Braylon back as he had great chemistry with "the Sanchez" (Was Big Ben making a joke or is he just that stupid?), is a great blocker, he's tall and he stretches the field. Holmes has always caused way more trouble than him. He always expressed his love of being a Jet. He wants to be here and the general fan consensus seems to be that they want him here too. The knee does scare me and he's obviously not a long term solution but the Super Bowl is not a long term goal for this team.

Screw Holmes. He needs to do what he is told to do, but I think he would be happy to have BE back.

I'm still bummed out that we chose to break up the "fly boys" ( i hate that name by the way) They had a great chemistry and a Jets team pride thing going on. Giving Sanchez weapons that he's comfortable with is key. I hope all of this trade talk is a bunch of BS as we need continutiy. Not starrting over once again.

I sincerely hope Braylon is a Jet again. No matter what king Holmes thinks.

I think he would say that if they found bigfoot.

Dude of course they wouldn't rule out bigfoot, he would be the best nosetackle ever!

Plus, he would make Hard Knocks even better. Rex Ryan, Antonio Cromartie, Tim Tebow, an Australian Rugby player, Bart Scott, Santonio Holmes, Bigfoot...maybe even another Revis holdout? Best TV ever. How great would that be? Screw it, I would trade my whole draft to get this guy on the team.

Archived