Life After Football

JetNation

Yeah I just don't see how it will be possible to stop working before I am 75. The idea of a long retirement is just something I don't think is realistic for me.

I hope you guys aren't serious. As long as we don't have another untimely, complete financial meltdown, I plan to be out at 57.

We are being asked to care. So, yes, it is about us.

Also, you act like these players don't have a choice...

who is asking you to care? all the NFL or Jets want is your cash.

as for choice i do believe that choosing to play NFL football is choosing to not have a future after football. it's that old Live fast and leave a pretty corpse way of thinking. If an NFL player were concerned about his long term health, he wouldn't be playing football. there are easier ways to make a living. certainly there is a choice and these guys are choosing to mash their brains up for money.

I hope you guys aren't serious. As long as we don't have another untimely, complete financial meltdown, I plan to be out at 57.

I am serious...3 kids....Catholic school...college on the horizon and a one income family. retirement isnt happening soon. :)

who is asking you to care? all the NFL or Jets want is your cash.

The author.

as for choice i do believe that choosing to play NFL football is choosing to not have a future after football. it's that old Live fast and leave a pretty corpse way of thinking. If an NFL player were concerned about his long term health, he wouldn't be playing football. there are easier ways to make a living. certainly there is a choice and these guys are choosing to mash their brains up for money.

Well, the first one is the choice I speak of. You know there are significant dangers in playing football. You can choose another career.

I'm hoping to have NO kids still at home when Im 57. Start small dream big.

My son will be 26 when I'm 57. At that point, either he'll be out of the house or on the way to South America with me. I'll be fine either way. :)

My son will be 26 when I'm 57. At that point, either he'll be out of the house or on the way to South America with me. I'll be fine either way. :)

When Im 57 I will have a 22 year old, 25 year old, 27 year old, 29 year old and a 36 year old. So hopefully I will only have one home and for a short time. My only chance for retirment is one of my kids let me come live with them. LOL Other than that I will be handing out smiley faces at Walmart wishing people a nice day., Not that bad a scenario for me honestly. LOL

I am serious...3 kids....Catholic school...college on the horizon and a one income family. retirement isnt happening soon. :)

Start charging for that jetnation VIP membership-maybe you will retire at 74 then.

Start charging for that jetnation VIP membership-maybe you will retire at 74 then.

$55 x 1 gazillion million trillion memberships = $55 gazillion million trillion dollars.

Wow, this was easier than I thought.

Uruguay is currently #1 on my list. :)

Smart man. Are you thinking of the Montevideo area or out of town and north n the beach? Get past Punta Del Este and it is incredible with vast, unused beaches. Also, while it has no beach, La Colonia is a wonderful place. If you haven't already done so, make time for a trip to Porto Alegre in southern Brazil. It is a fantastic city -- the Eurocentric part of Brazil. I especially like the banking and tax system in Uruguay, plus you can easily get a Uruguayan passport (as a second passport). You cannot go wrong down there. Best of luck man!

Smart man. Are you thinking of the Montevideo area or out of town and north n the beach? Get past Punta Del Este and it is incredible with vast, unused beaches. Also, while it has no beach, La Colonia is a wonderful place. If you haven't already done so, make time for a trip to Porto Alegre in southern Brazil. It is a fantastic city -- the Eurocentric part of Brazil. I especially like the banking and tax system in Uruguay, plus you can easily get a Uruguayan passport (as a second passport). You cannot go wrong down there. Best of luck man!

Thinking Montevideo, because I like the idea of city living, not needing a car, etc. Figure I can look at the water from there, and if I want to get in it, I can always take a day or weekend trip up the coast. Figure I'll rent for a year or so, and explore the country before I buy. I want to check out Salto, too. Cross the bridge for lunch and get my passport stamped every 90 days. I do like the idea of getting a Uruguayan passport, too.

Thinking Montevideo, because I like the idea of city living, not needing a car, etc. Figure I can look at the water from there, and if I want to get in it, I can always take a day or weekend trip up the coast. Figure I'll rent for a year or so, and explore the country before I buy. I want to check out Salto, too. Cross the bridge for lunch and get my passport stamped every 90 days. I do like the idea of getting a Uruguayan passport, too.

Renting and exploring is always the best idea. I have stayed close, but not right on, La Rambla. Good location for me.

Although it is supposedly an up and coming area, you still need to be careful in Ciudad Vieja if that is a place you are considering -- think peeling paint (Havana style) a hip under-toe with a just touch of Alphabet City drug induced violence/ambience added for flavor. Not pervasively dangerous, but enough knife wielding druggies to keep you on your toes, especially if you are a foreigner.

I love Montevideo -- much smaller and farther back in time than Buenos Aires. Shoot me a PM after you visit.

Renting and exploring is always the best idea. I have stayed close, but not right on, La Rambla. Good location for me.

Although it is supposedly an up and coming area, you still need to be careful in Ciudad Vieja if that is a place you are considering -- think peeling paint (Havana style) a hip under-toe with a just touch of Alphabet City drug induced violence/ambience added for flavor. Not pervasively dangerous, but enough knife wielding druggies to keep you on your toes, especially if you are a foreigner.

I love Montevideo -- much smaller and farther back in time than Buenos Aires. Shoot me a PM after you visit.

That's good to know. The archetecture in Ciudad Vieja looks beautiful. I know that's where the concentration of restaurants and night life, are, too. Pocitos gets the most buzz, and seems to be very popular with expats, but it's also supposedly more expensive. I was thinking either Centro or Parque Rodó - less money, central locale, and their own attractions.

I'm really looking forward to going, but it's at least a year or two off.

That's good to know. The archetecture in Ciudad Vieja looks beautiful. I know that's where the concentration of restaurants and night life, are, too. Pocitos gets the most buzz, and seems to be very popular with expats, but it's also supposedly more expensive. I was thinking either Centro or Parque Rodó - less money, central locale, and their own attractions.

I'm really looking forward to going, but it's at least a year or two off.

Give me a shout when you go and I will give you my latest recon.

Archived