Life After Football

JetNation

Post image for Life After Football

Where were you at in your professional life at the age of 28?  Or, for the younger generation of readers, where do you see yourself when you are 28 years old?  For anyone that is not a professional athlete, the average answer for some would be, finishing a masters or doctorial degree, starting a new business, establishing a Roth IRA, or even starting a family.  Now ask this of an NFL player and he will say one word, retired.

The average age of retirement for a professional football player is 28.  Granted, there are men who we have seen play way past that age, and some who should have stopped while they were ahead.  Most people at this point in life still have 37 years of work ahead of them.  If one retires at 28, he or she still has 2/3 of life left to fulfill.  Sounds nice at first, but if you are a football player, once next year’s OTA’s start, and Nike did not send you a new uniform, reality sets in.  And guess what?  You are bored.

Life is what you make of it.  Such a cliché statement, but it holds truth.  Hopefully you were a player who was smart with your money throughout your employment and did not blow it all on McMansions and fun toys, among other things.  Hopefully you were cautious and did not let fame get to your head.  Hopefully you appreciated the privilege of playing for such a pristine sports league, and a well respected team (insert New York Jets here).  These are all factors which one has control over.  What about the factors that cannot be controlled?

The termination of an NFL player’s career can mainly happen two ways.  The first is retirement. This is controlled because it is a player’s choice.  The second is being cut, or waived for a more respectable term.  Being a part of the Waiver Wire System is controllable to a point.  A team’s final decision to waive a player (uncontrolled) is determined by the performance of the player (controlled).  If the latter occurs, a player patiently waits until he is picked up by another team.  In the unfortunate event he is not picked up, hopefully he has his college degree to fall back on and can continue life with a larger bank account to kick start his new journey.

What is the point I am trying to make here?

With respect to the current tragedies that have been making headlines in the world of the NFL, I think more attention needs to be focused on the after-life of a football player.  Unfortunately sometimes it is too late to observe the effects of long-term injuries, and take corrective action.  A player does not necessarily need to be injured or encounter high-impact collisions in order to be cared for.  Everyone should walk away from employment with the NFL with some form of appreciation and care being shown towards them.   I am not talking about monetary value here.  I mean genuine support and guidance.  Twenty eight years old, or even thirty five for that matter, still gives a person time to explore new opportunities in life.  Colleges offer programs to graduating students and guide them with career placement.  The NFL does offer something of similar stature.

Kudos go to Troy Vincent, the NFL’s Vice President for Player Engagement, and his aid in helping players prepare for the next life steps after football.  According to an interview on blackenterprise.com, Vincent explains the three programs formulated to guide players.

1. NFL Prep helps to identify problems sooner rather than later, and make improvements early in a players career.  The preventative methods used range from explaining cause and effect scenarios, to tweaking physical movements on the field.
  2. NFL Life focuses on the player while he is currently active in the NFL.
  3. NFL Next prepares players for what’s to come.  Another perk to these three programs is that the player’s family is also informed and involved.  Vincent hopes to better a player’s quality of life by identifying what works best for him and his surroundings.

Shifting gears to the dark side in regard to the negative effects of high-impact injuries; I would like to commend my man, Ray Lucas.  Every football fan knows the former number six Jet has not held back on sharing his experience of pain and strife with his addiction to prescription pain killers.  Lucas admits the pain does not fully go away, and he still struggles every now and then.  However, to accept the fact one has an addiction and then to ask for help is an accomplishment all on its own.  He took a step back and realized all that life had to offer him and knew he had to turn everything around for the best.  Now for the most part he is pain-free, both physically and mentally.  Lucas uses his story as a precautionary example for other NFL players, and encourages them to check out www.TurnToHelp.com  (www.utsandiego.com/news/2012).

Other notable football players have put their fame and knowledge to good use after playing for the NFL.  Many players have formed charities and raised both money and awareness for a cause that has usually affected the player on a personal level.  Boomer Esiason is a sports commentator and one of the hosts of the Boomer and Carton show.  If you know me by now, you know this is my favorite show, and has helped me survive some tough morning commutes.  He has also raised awareness about cystic fibrosis with his foundation, www.esiason.org.  Ray Lucas is now a New York Jets commentator on Sports New York Television.  You do not have to be retired to support a charity.  The Jets are notorious for their recognition and support with charity work.  Mark Sanchez supports the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.  Santonio Holmes raises money for Sickle Cell Disease, which, by the way, I am supporting this upcoming October 15th.  Check out nyjets.com and JetNation.com for details.

If you were to take anything from this article, please understand that my focus is for fans and the average Joe, to understand that the life of a professional football player is not all glitz and glamour.  They do something they love, and take risks not only for them, but for us, the audience as well.  The next time you hear someone criticize the amount of money a football player makes, remind them of the underlying factors involved with the sport.

Taking hard hits is a part of the game, and accepting the high risk is par for the course.  I am not advocating the commission enforce 97 more rules to soften the blow for players.  We have enough flags being thrown in the game so there is no need to transition into flag football.  I do not see ice hockey changing the rules every year.  Every sport involves risks.  Pick and choose your battles wisely and reap the benefits.  Especially those of the NFL (insert New York Jets here).

di
di

cOygHada-Ww

View the full article

Life After Football

by Courtney Aurillo on May 13, 2012[edit]

in Featured Editorials

metlife_empty.jpg

Where were you at in your professional life at the age of 28? Or, for the younger generation of readers, where do you see yourself when you are 28 years old? For anyone that is not a professional athlete, the average answer for some would be, finishing a masters or doctorial degree, starting a new business, establishing a Roth IRA, or even starting a family. Now ask this of an NFL player and he will say one word, retired.

The average age of retirement for a professional football player is 28. Granted, there are men who we have seen play way past that age, and some who should have stopped while they were ahead. Most people at this point in life still have 37 years of work ahead of them. If one retires at 28, he or she still has 2/3 of life left to fulfill. Sounds nice at first, but if you are a football player, once next year’s OTA’s start, and Nike did not send you a new uniform, reality sets in. And guess what? You are bored.

Life is what you make of it. Such a cliché statement, but it holds truth. Hopefully you were a player who was smart with your money throughout your employment and did not blow it all on McMansions and fun toys, among other things. Hopefully you were cautious and did not let fame get to your head. Hopefully you appreciated the privilege of playing for such a pristine sports league, and a well respected team (insert New York Jets here). These are all factors which one has control over. What about the factors that cannot be controlled?

The termination of an NFL player’s career can mainly happen two ways. The first is retirement. This is controlled because it is a player’s choice. The second is being cut, or waived for a more respectable term. Being a part of the Waiver Wire System is controllable to a point. A team’s final decision to waive a player (uncontrolled) is determined by the performance of the player (controlled). If the latter occurs, a player patiently waits until he is picked up by another team. In the unfortunate event he is not picked up, hopefully he has his college degree to fall back on and can continue life with a larger bank account to kick start his new journey.

What is the point I am trying to make here?

With respect to the current tragedies that have been making headlines in the world of the NFL, I think more attention needs to be focused on the after-life of a football player. Unfortunately sometimes it is too late to observe the effects of long-term injuries, and take corrective action. A player does not necessarily need to be injured or encounter high-impact collisions in order to be cared for. Everyone should walk away from employment with the NFL with some form of appreciation and care being shown towards them. I am not talking about monetary value here. I mean genuine support and guidance. Twenty eight years old, or even thirty five for that matter, still gives a person time to explore new opportunities in life. Colleges offer programs to graduating students and guide them with career placement. The NFL does offer something of similar stature.

Kudos go to Troy Vincent, the NFL’s Vice President for Player Engagement, and his aid in helping players prepare for the next life steps after football. According to an interview on blackenterprise.com, Vincent explains the three programs formulated to guide players.

1. NFL Prep helps to identify problems sooner rather than later, and make improvements early in a players career. The preventative methods used range from explaining cause and effect scenarios, to tweaking physical movements on the field.
  3. NFL Next prepares players for what’s to come. Another perk to these three programs is that the player’s family is also informed and involved. Vincent hopes to better a player’s quality of life by identifying what works best for him and his surroundings.

Shifting gears to the dark side in regard to the negative effects of high-impact injuries; I would like to commend my man, Ray Lucas. Every football fan knows the former number six Jet has not held back on sharing his experience of pain and strife with his addiction to prescription pain killers. Lucas admits the pain does not fully go away, and he still struggles every now and then. However, to accept the fact one has an addiction and then to ask for help is an accomplishment all on its own. He took a step back and realized all that life had to offer him and knew he had to turn everything around for the best. Now for the most part he is pain-free, both physically and mentally. Lucas uses his story as a precautionary example for other NFL players, and encourages them to check out www.TurnToHelp.com (www.utsandiego.com/news/2012).

Other notable football players have put their fame and knowledge to good use after playing for the NFL. Many players have formed charities and raised both money and awareness for a cause that has usually affected the player on a personal level. Boomer Esiason is a sports commentator and one of the hosts of the Boomer and Carton show. If you know me by now, you know this is my favorite show, and has helped me survive some tough morning commutes. He has also raised awareness about cystic fibrosis with his foundation, www.esiason.org. Ray Lucas is now a New York Jets commentator on Sports New York Television. You do not have to be retired to support a charity. The Jets are notorious for their recognition and support with charity work. Mark Sanchez supports the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Santonio Holmes raises money for Sickle Cell Disease, which, by the way, I am supporting this upcoming October 15th. Check out nyjets.com and JetNation.com for details.

If you were to take anything from this article, please understand that my focus is for fans and the average Joe, to understand that the life of a professional football player is not all glitz and glamour. They do something they love, and take risks not only for them, but for us, the audience as well. The next time you hear someone criticize the amount of money a football player makes, remind them of the underlying factors involved with the sport.

Taking hard hits is a part of the game, and accepting the high risk is par for the course. I am not advocating the commission enforce 97 more rules to soften the blow for players. We have enough flags being thrown in the game so there is no need to transition into flag football. I do not see ice hockey changing the rules every year. Every sport involves risks. Pick and choose your battles wisely and reap the benefits. Especially those of the NFL (insert New York Jets here).

Courtney Aurillo

Writing for JetNation allows me express my love for the NY Jets, and instills hope that I will be alive for their next Super Bowl win. I am a very passionate fan during the games, and have been known to curse and throw my beer down Rex Ryan style. My writings vary, and my opinions are strong. I accept criticism with open arms because I’ll give it right back - so bring it on.

More Posts - Website

Follow Me:

twitter.png

Tagged as: courtney aurillo

Thats what college and family is for. I totally disagree. Life after football? Figure it out. An after league program is ridiculous. If you're left without a penny and lost, its on you.

I disagree with your point.

That is what college is for you, me and the others on this board.

If you make it to the NFL (or any other sport), chances are you are the 1%. You were not 99% of college athletes who knew going into college that after their graduation, if not sooner, your athletic career is over and you need a profession. Hopefully, they were smart enough to realize this. And you dam sure are not you, me or others on this board that actually had to work to get into to college and needed more than a 2.00 GPA.

The truth is players are not always prepared and as much as we idolize them, we are partially to blame.

Great article BTW.

I disagree with your point.

That is what college is for you, me and the others on this board.

If you make it to the NFL (or any other sport), chances are you are the 1%. You were not 99% of college athletes who knew going into college that after their graduation, if not sooner, your athletic career is over and you need a profession. Hopefully, they were smart enough to realize this. And you dam sure are not you, me or others on this board that actually had to work to get into to college and needed more than a 2.00 GPA.

The truth is players are not always prepared and as much as we idolize them, we are partially to blame.

Great article BTW.

So cause someone knows that they are going to play pro ball that negates the importance of becoming an adult and not becoming a moron who needs a support group for young retired people?

I hadn't even started my career at 28.

To feel sorry for guys that made millions or even hundreds of thousands and went to college for free is asinine.

It's not anyone else's fault if they blew their money or didn't actually go to class.

I think if you asked 1000 people 995 of them would chose this path over their own to the age of 28.

In a lot of cases the players main problem is his "support group" . Many players travel around with an entourage from the "old days" when their careers are over their support group moves on.

The advantages have all been laid out for them. For the most part they have been pampered and catered to since they were 9 YO. They continue living the high life after they are cut. Then the money runs out

Nobody can make them become mature

So cause someone knows that they are going to play pro ball that negates the importance of becoming an adult and not becoming a moron who needs a support group for young retired people?

In a perfect world, you should not need one, but it is not a perfect world.

Again, if we want these players to not act entitled, we need to stop putting them on a pedestal.

Do you honestly think a 18 year old athlete is going to think about life at 30 when he is on ESPN telling North America he is going (insert college name here)? No.

When I was 18, I was not thinking of my life at 20, much less mid-20s or 30. And I was not developmentally crippled by being a professional level athlete.

Now, you expect a spoiled athlete that feels self entitled to be responsible? Ok.

Haha so we there should be a program in place to help continue coddle millionaire young men who don't have to work cause they made a grip playing a game? Come on. There should be support groups for many occupations then. I for one think a Jets fan support group needs to be put in place. And I don't mean a forum.

Haha so we there should be a program in place to help continue coddle millionaire young men who don't have to work cause they made a grip playing a game? Come on. There should be support groups for many occupations then. I for one think a Jets fan support group needs to be put in place. And I don't mean a forum.

There is already one.

The mental health assoc

I think the Average Joe should reserve his genuine support and guidance for those groups of disadvantaged people that aren't 28-year old millionaires who ostensibly received free college educations. But that's just me.

That's about the size of it. Tough to be feeling heart-broken for someone who earned more in their rookie year than most people will have by the time they hit 28, and who knows how many years beyond that.

That's about the size of it. Tough to be feeling heart-broken for someone who earned more in their rookie year than most people will have by the time they hit 28, and who knows how many years beyond that.

If any of these guys are looking for sympathy, they can find it in the dictionary -- right between $hit and syphilis.

Im 23. I just finished college last week with a degree. i make about $13,000 a year cleaning toilets to pay off my $40,000 in student loans. Had i lived on campus it would be more than that. But i commuted so i spent $100 a week on gas to get back and forth to school. And i dont have any leads on any jobs in my field at the moment. And my dream of going to law school when i was done with school is over because i wont put myself in the kind of debt it would be for me to go. Forgive me if i dont display sympathy for 28 year old multi-millionaires.

If they want a job cleaning toilets and cutting grass you can tell them to give me a call.

I am 42 and I can tell you I am much further away from retirement today than when I was 28, lol. At 28 I had a plan and a 401k. Now I don't even have a plan, just lots of bills lol.

1. NFL Prep helps to identify problems sooner rather than later, and make improvements early in a players career. The preventative methods used range from explaining cause and effect scenarios, to tweaking physical movements on the field.
  3. NFL Next prepares players for what’s to come. Another perk to these three programs is that the player’s family is also informed and involved. Vincent hopes to better a player’s quality of life by identifying what works best for him and his surroundings.

Also reading this just makes it sound even worse. In no other area of life does anyone get their own personal Bagger Vance appointed for them to stop them from doing dumb sh*t.

I love how all the folks in this thread make it about them. It's not about you. Unless your job is taking sledgehammer level hits to the head and chest, in front of thousands of screaming fans, with millions more on tv. then it is about you.

I love how all the folks in this thread make it about them. It's not about you. Unless your job is taking sledgehammer level hits to the head and chest, in front of thousands of screaming fans, with millions more on tv. then it is about you.

I'm no sledgehammer expert, but I think one powershot in the head or chest from a sledgehammer would kill you instantly.

The Romans had it all figured out. The gladiators would eventually all die, so no retirement plan needed and the handful who always kept surviving were given their freedom................as a reward.

But i feel sorry for these NFL guys. Because when one is mentally unstable and unable to make rational decisions eventually that individual will end up losing whatever has been earned. And then you end up broke both financially and mentally.

I'm no sledgehammer expert, but I think one powershot in the head or chest from a sledgehammer would kill you instantly.

SLEDGEHAMMERS IN FRONT OF SCREAMING FANS. NFL PLAYERS ARE THE EQUIVALENT OF MODERN DAY GLADIATORS. EXCEPT INSTEAD OF BEING FED TO LIONS AND HAVING SWORDS AND AXES SWUNG AT THEM AND GETTING KILLED THEY ARE PAID INFINITE SUMS OF MONEY. BUT DO NOT TRY AND PLAY SEMANTICS OVER THIS. IT IS THE SAME THING. THEY BOTH WORE HELMETS AND CONSISTED MOSTLY OF MINORITIES.

I think the Average Joe should reserve his genuine support and guidance for those groups of disadvantaged people that aren't 28-year old millionaires who ostensibly received free college educations. But that's just me.

When the Chancellor decides to help them, we can discuss it in this thread.

There were probably just as many people killed or seriously injured building that stadium as there will be playing in it for dramatically less money, and no fans screaming your name out

Im all for the league doing something to help people manage their NFL careers and steer them away from the sleazy agent that does nothing but steal money at every turn, but I just cant cry for these guys who make hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a game. Soldiers, policeman, firefighters, etc... chance their lives up every single day for a fraction of what an NFL player will earn. Last I saw it was far more dangerous dodging bullets than getting hit in the head with a helmet.

Well said Bit.

When I was 18, I was not thinking of my life at 20, much less mid-20s or 30. And I was not developmentally crippled by being a professional level athlete.

Now, you expect a spoiled athlete that feels self entitled to be responsible? Ok.

He should be. And I don't feel bad if he screws it up.

You can be the most gifted athlete in the world, but you're still human, which means you're one bad plant of your foot away from never playing the game again.

If you don't recognize this, you clearly think you're better than the hundreds it's happened to before you. Why again am I taking up a collection for you?

I am 42 and I can tell you I am much further away from retirement today than when I was 28, lol. At 28 I had a plan and a 401k. Now I don't even have a plan, just lots of bills lol.

Your retirement plan is tied to Pennington being hired as Cavannaugh's replacement.

We are being asked to care. So, yes, it is about us.

Also, you act like these players don't have a choice...

The NFL has some programs in place for these players. Maybe they could do more. Retirees we're trying to be heard at the last round of negotiations between the players and owners. I think the only thing the players and owners agreed on was, "fvck them."

The league could set up some financial services for these guys. They could create mandatory annuities or something. It would only be a band-aid, and players who know how to invest for the future would be hurt in the process.

Fact is if you're young, dumb, and rich, only one of those things will be true a few years down the road.

At 28? These days most have finally started making enough of a salary that they don't have to keep filing for forbearances on their student loans. Or they've just finished taking out an additional $100k for some sort of graduate school.

28 was the year I started my first practice and learned to fear phone calls from any elder male in my family.LOL I started the business and everyone, and I mean everyone was more and happy to find questions about things I didn't do, shouldn't do or just forgot. Looking back 17 years now they were pretty much all right. LOL

Im finding that as time go's on the words retirement and deceased are becoming increasingly similar.

Im finding that as time go's on the words retirement and deceased are becoming increasingly similar.

Yeah I just don't see how it will be possible to stop working before I am 75. The idea of a long retirement is just something I don't think is realistic for me.

Archived