NY Jets Thoughts From The Airport

Maxman

Post image for NY Jets Thoughts From The Airport

As I sit in the airport, currently delayed, on a return flight from Las Vegas to JFK I thought this would be a good time to share my thoughts on the Jets with you.  I mean after all it is June and if you are reading this, you are the definition of a die-hard fan.  So here goes (in no particular order):

Rex Ryan 2.0:  I had the pleasure of discussing the Jets with Jason McIntrye of Big Lead Sports.com this week.  He asked me what I thought about the Jets this season and I told him they will be improved.  The biggest reason for that improvement is going to be Rex Ryan 2.0.  I wish I could take credit for that line, I first heard it on our New York Jets message board (thanks JIF).  Anyhow, this is a new Rex Ryan we are looking at here and I don’t mean in the slimmed down physical sense.  Sure there are many roster improvements and a new coaching staff, but I am talking about Rex maturing as a head coach.

Think about this Jets fans, Rex Ryan’s big failure of a season had the team at 8 and 8.  He has raised the bar and he is completely sincere when he says the goal is to win a Super Bowl.  Has Rex been perfect?  No, but he is learning from his mistakes.  Enter Rex Ryan 2.0 and watch out NFL.

The Mega Mall:  There was an article the other day that the are trying to block the mega mall next to the stadium.  I am not an economist so I won’t try and discuss the economic impact of the mall either way.  But I only have two requirements and then I say they should be allowed to open it:

1. Change the exterior color.  Congratulations if you are the one that designed that funky exterior.  Now kindly go find another line of work.
  2. Knock down the ski slope.  We are not going to ski indoors in NJ.  If this ski slope was your idea, please check with the exterior designer and brain storm on what job you should do next.  But you probably want to take, “idea man” off the list off possibilities.

Once both of those things have been done, let’s open this mall up.  The teams are worried about traffic problems?  Seriously, traffic problems?  There is a reason that fans fire up the grill after the game is over and tailgate while the parking lot empties.  That reason is called traffic problems.

Offensive Line:  Take a deep breath before you read this one.  Exhale.  One more deep breath.  Okay, ready for it?  I believe in this offensive line, specifically Wayne Hunter.  Was he bad last year?  Absolutely. Let’s write off last year off and give him a clean slate.  He has had a full offseason this year and he enters the season with a renewed offensive commitment to having the Jets return to their ground and pound roots.  Wayne Hunter played very well for the Jets when he filled in for Damien Woody late in 2010, he can get back to that level.

One more deep breath please, okay, I am also not writing off Vladimir Ducasse yet. You want him cut, I know you do.  The jury has been deliberating for awhile but I implore you to hold off on returning your verdict.  I wish I could take credit for this one, but I read the other day that Vlad might have been the player that was impacted by the lockout the most.  He was drafted as a project and spent time at Tackle, Guard and blocking Tight End.  He needed the offseason program and didn’t get that because of the lockout.  Will he ever reach his potential?  Time will tell, I just ask that you hold off on writing him off.  (Thanks to Slats from the JN forum for the lockout thoughts on VLad).

Those are my thoughts for now, my plane just arrived so I will be JFK bound soon enough.  Speaking of soon enough, the season is just about one month away.  JetNation will have a full training camp preview, so hang in there Jets fans.

by Phil Sullivan on June 29, 2012[edit]

in Featured Editorials

JetBlue_Plane.jpg

As I sit in the airport, currently delayed, on a return flight from Las Vegas to JFK I thought this would be a good time to share my thoughts on the Jets with you. I mean after all it is June and if you are reading this, you are the definition of a die-hard fan. So here goes (in no particular order):

Rex Ryan 2.0: I had the pleasure of discussing the Jets with Jason McIntrye of Big Lead Sports.com this week. He asked me what I thought about the Jets this season and I told him they will be improved. The biggest reason for that improvement is going to be Rex Ryan 2.0. I wish I could take credit for that line, I first heard it on our New York Jets message board (thanks JIF). Anyhow, this is a new Rex Ryan we are looking at here and I don’t mean in the slimmed down physical sense. Sure there are many roster improvements and a new coaching staff, but I am talking about Rex maturing as a head coach.

Think about this Jets fans, Rex Ryan’s big failure of a season had the team at 8 and 8. He has raised the bar and he is completely sincere when he says the goal is to win a Super Bowl. Has Rex been perfect? No, but he is learning from his mistakes. Enter Rex Ryan 2.0 and watch out NFL.

The Mega Mall: There was an article the other day that the are trying to block the mega mall next to the stadium. I am not an economist so I won’t try and discuss the economic impact of the mall either way. But I only have two requirements and then I say they should be allowed to open it:

1. Change the exterior color. Congratulations if you are the one that designed that funky exterior. Now kindly go find another line of work.
  2. Knock down the ski slope. We are not going to ski indoors in NJ. If this ski slope was your idea, please check with the exterior designer and brain storm on what job you should do next. But you probably want to take, “idea man” off the list off possibilities.

Once both of those things have been done, let’s open this mall up. The teams are worried about traffic problems? Seriously, traffic problems? There is a reason that fans fire up the grill after the game is over and tailgate while the parking lot empties. That reason is called traffic problems.

Offensive Line: Take a deep breath before you read this one. Exhale. One more deep breath. Okay, ready for it? I believe in this offensive line, specifically Wayne Hunter. Was he bad last year? Absolutely. Let’s write off last year off and give him a clean slate. He has had a full offseason this year and he enters the season with a renewed offensive commitment to having the Jets return to their ground and pound roots. Wayne Hunter played very well for the Jets when he filled in for Damien Woody late in 2010, he can get back to that level.

One more deep breath please, okay, I am also not writing off Vladimir Ducasse yet. You want him cut, I know you do. The jury has been deliberating for awhile but I implore you to hold off on returning your verdict. I wish I could take credit for this one, but I read the other day that Vlad might have been the player that was impacted by the lockout the most. He was drafted as a project and spent time at Tackle, Guard and blocking Tight End. He needed the offseason program and didn’t get that because of the lockout. Will he ever reach his potential? Time will tell, I just ask that you hold off on writing him off. (Thanks to Slats from the JN forum for the lockout thoughts on VLad).

Those are my thoughts for now, my plane just arrived so I will be JFK bound soon enough. Speaking of soon enough, the season is just about one month away. JetNation will have a full training camp preview, so hang in there Jets fans.

If there's a God, the author of this pablum will be mistaken at the airport for an Al Qaeda operative.

Two seconds after rwading this 4for jetblue workers come to my row.... is there a perwz in 20 alpha perez perez.

It freaked me out.

And then a hot girl took 20a. The hex of tomshane does not work.

Two seconds after rwading this 4for jetblue workers come to my row.... is there a perwz in 20 alpha perez perez.

It freaked me out.

And then a hot girl took 20a. The hex of tomshane does not work.

Hot girl: "Hey, you look like Kevin James. I have a Kevin James thing. Wanna join the Mile High Club?"

Max: "No thanks. I don't even like the Broncos!"

Biggest reason I don't see this huge improvement is that we are supposed to be going back to ground and pound but do not have a legite RB. Rotoworld had a column this week where they went back and watched Greene snap by snap and came away with the opinion that he leaves a ton of yards on the field, does not read when to make a cut the few times he does get to the 2nd level and is nothing when it comes to yards after the point of contact.

Basically labled him as one of the worst backs in the league.

Have a safe flight.

Offensive Line: Take a deep breath before you read this one. Exhale. One more deep breath. Okay, ready for it? I believe in this offensive line, specifically Wayne Hunter. Was he bad last year? Absolutely. Let’s write off last year off and give him a clean slate. He has had a full offseason this year and he enters the season with a renewed offensive commitment to having the Jets return to their ground and pound roots. Wayne Hunter played very well for the Jets when he filled in for Damien Woody late in 2010, he can get back to that level.

One more deep breath please, okay, I am also not writing off Vladimir Ducasse yet. You want him cut, I know you do. The jury has been deliberating for awhile but I implore you to hold off on returning your verdict. I wish I could take credit for this one, but I read the other day that Vlad might have been the player that was impacted by the lockout the most. He was drafted as a project and spent time at Tackle, Guard and blocking Tight End. He needed the offseason program and didn’t get that because of the lockout. Will he ever reach his potential? Time will tell, I just ask that you hold off on writing him off. (Thanks to Slats from the JN forum for the lockout thoughts on VLad).

if Nick mangold is healthy, they could put two scarecrow next to him and the line would be awesome. losing Nick for 3 games (and having him play hurt after that) ruined the line last year.

Biggest reason I don't see this huge improvement is that we are supposed to be going back to ground and pound but do not have a legite RB. Rotoworld had a column this week where they went back and watched Greene snap by snap and came away with the opinion that he leaves a ton of yards on the field, does not read when to make a cut the few times he does get to the 2nd level and is nothing when it comes to yards after the point of contact.

Have a safe flight.

I read both of those articles and the Cosell one makes better points than the SIlva one. These guys are humans and they have their biases like anyone else. Alot of people hate the Jets in this country. Greene isn't great but he can be good. Saw a comparison between him and Rudi Johnson on a fantasy football site. He's flawed but can be productive.

Have a safe flight.

I'm no fan of Greene, but I think one of the worst backs in the league might be a little harsh.

I don't think the Jets are going back to the ground & pound, either, as much as they talk about it. The Jets led the league in Sanchez' rookie season with a ridiculous 2756 yards, and had another huge year in '10 with 2374 (good for 4th in the league). Last year was a very down year (1692, 22nd), and definitely does need to be improved upon, but I don't think they need to get to the lofty levels of the previous two years.

I'd like to see about 2000 yards; which would be 125 a game, and good for a top 10 rushing attack. That means finding 300 yards they didn't have last year. I think most of it comes from a healthy Mangold. Some of it comes from Tebow, who'll be used running the wildcat, and probably on the field with Sanchez at times. I think they have to expand McKnight's role to fill LT's shoes a little bit, but getting the ball in his hands more gives the Jets more of a breakaway threat - and they definitely need that. A guy who can break 50 yard runs will go a long way towards helping the Jets rushing numbers.

Not an impossible task.

LOL, No, just Newark & LaGuardia. I will say that the absolute WORST airport I've ever been to is DeGualle in Paris. Should I ever fly to Europe again, I WILL NOT connect through that dump.

Well there is no way you are walking from the terminal to long term parking. I mean you could do it but I doubt you would ever get to the car, lol.

Archived