Maybe our pass rush will finally be able to beat the Pats

GREENBEAN

The fact that we concentrated on the pass rush lately might be the element that swings the division in our favor. Assuming we can score some points of course. I can't wait to see Coples crush Brady!!!

In his second appearance of the preseason, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady took some shots from opposing pass-rushers during Friday night's 30-28 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Brady was drilled by defensive end Michael Bennett, forcing a fumble that was recovered by the Patriots. Brady also was sacked by Adam Hayward and took a big shot from Lavonte David on an incomplete pass.

Mayock: Preseason observations

mike_mayock-110726_65.jpgMike Mayock had a busy summer, traveling from camp to camp to scout players and teams. What did he learn? Let's find out. More ...

Brady was partially to blame on the sack by Bennett, who had blown right by right tackle Marcus Cannon to get a clean shot on the unsuspecting quarterback, but the Patriots clearly have protection issues entering the regular season.

Healthy returns from Sebastian Vollmer, who could replace the struggling Nate Solder as the left tackle, and perennial Pro Bowl left guard Logan Mankins should help.

Vollmer dressed but didn't play Friday night, and he might not play before the regular-season opener against the Tennessee Titans. Mankins is coming off major reconstructive knee surgery and made his preseason debut Friday night.

"I survived," Mankins said of his debut, via Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald. "I didn't get anyone killed out there. That's always a good thing."

Mankins, whom Howe adds played around 10 plays, acknowledged the struggles of New England's offensive line.

"He (Brady) got hit back there a few times, and I think we had some negative runs, that's always disappointing," Mankins said. "We just know we've got to get a lot better out there."

Follow Brian McIntyre on Twitter @brian_mcintyre.

The Patsies are missing three starters from last year:

• Vollmer is off the PUP (back) and is practicing at last.
  • Mankins (knee) is supposed to be ready for the season opener -- he only played 10 plays in this game.
  • Waters is MIA but is thought to have been given tacit permission to miss TC ala Michael Strahan a few years ago -- at least that's the thought/hope of Pats fans.

If these guys come back and play as expected, the Pats OL will be pretty good ... again.

Def the way we've created problems for Brady in the past...and that was all scheme.

Maybe it will at least close the gap that wasnt even close last year.

wouldn't it be nice to get real pressure from the down linemen allowing the rest of the D to concentrate on coverage for a change?

The fact that we concentrated on the pass rush lately might be the element that swings the division in our favor. Assuming we can score some points of course. I can't wait to see Coples crush Brady!!!

In his second appearance of the preseason, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady took some shots from opposing pass-rushers during Friday night's 30-28 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Brady was drilled by defensive end Michael Bennett, forcing a fumble that was recovered by the Patriots. Brady also was sacked by Adam Hayward and took a big shot from Lavonte David on an incomplete pass.

Mayock: Preseason observations

mike_mayock-110726_65.jpgMike Mayock had a busy summer, traveling from camp to camp to scout players and teams. What did he learn? Let's find out. More ...

Brady was partially to blame on the sack by Bennett, who had blown right by right tackle Marcus Cannon to get a clean shot on the unsuspecting quarterback, but the Patriots clearly have protection issues entering the regular season.

Healthy returns from Sebastian Vollmer, who could replace the struggling Nate Solder as the left tackle, and perennial Pro Bowl left guard Logan Mankins should help.

Vollmer dressed but didn't play Friday night, and he might not play before the regular-season opener against the Tennessee Titans. Mankins is coming off major reconstructive knee surgery and made his preseason debut Friday night.

"I survived," Mankins said of his debut, via Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald. "I didn't get anyone killed out there. That's always a good thing."

Mankins, whom Howe adds played around 10 plays, acknowledged the struggles of New England's offensive line.

"He (Brady) got hit back there a few times, and I think we had some negative runs, that's always disappointing," Mankins said. "We just know we've got to get a lot better out there."

Follow Brian McIntyre on Twitter @brian_mcintyre.

I do not know if it will tip it that much.

Until Vollmer comes back and the OL is a reasonable facsimile of what it is going to be in the regular season, I do not think the Jets or Bills have closed the gap that much.

It is closer if the OL does not improve, but not that much.

I do not know if it will tip it that much.

Until Vollmer comes back and the OL is a reasonable facsimile of what it is going to be in the regular season, I do not think the Jets or Bills have closed the gap that much.

It is closer if the OL does not improve, but not that much.

Brady has shown that he becomes very human when exposed to pressure. The Jets have improved the D line from a pass rush stand point and the Pats are weaker on the O line than in recent years. I'm looking forward to seeing how this matchup turns out,

Brady has shown that he becomes very human when exposed to pressure. The Jets have improved the D line from a pass rush stand point and the Pats are weaker on the O line than in recent years. I'm looking forward to seeing how this matchup turns out,

As is any QB.

What has been on the field is not the Patriots OL. And I am not trying to minimize their issues.

Marcus Cannon, the Patriots equivalent to Jets' Hunter, is showing he is not a tackle. With Vollmer practicing, he should be back at the very least the start of regular season opener at RT. He has shown he is very good at it, when healthy.

That should shift Cannon back to RT if Waters is truly retired or Koppen goes to center and Connelly goes back to guard..

Hopefully, for the Patriots and Brady, when Mankins is up to speed (just started practicing) Solder will start to look better.

Again, if the Patriots' OL in the first three preseason games was what they were going to go with in the regular, it would be a bigger concern. It still is a concern, but their is hope when all the starters are back, it will be better.

As is any QB.

What has been on the field is not the Patriots OL. And I am not trying to minimize their issues.

Marcus Cannon, the Patriots equivalent to Jets' Hunter, is showing he is not a tackle. With Vollmer practicing, he should be back at the very least the start of regular season opener at RT. He has shown he is very good at it, when healthy.

That should shift Cannon back to RT if Waters is truly retired or Koppen goes to center and Connelly goes back to guard..

Hopefully, for the Patriots and Brady, when Mankins is up to speed (just started practicing) Solder will start to look better.

Again, if the Patriots' OL in the first three preseason games was what they were going to go with in the regular, it would be a bigger concern. It still is a concern, but their is hope when all the starters are back, it will be better.

That's everyone's hope. I'm just pointing out the potential chinks in what has been very strong armor for a long time. Blood in the water man. Blood in the water.

Archived