Jets (Rex) Works out DE Margus Hunt

flgreen

The thing I like about him is that he was a discus thrower. It's all about technique. If he is indeed a project, I feel good about him improving by leaps and bounds and his desire to do so. This is a guy that has had to work his ass off just to get where he is technically, as well as in terms of having to earn a spot on his team.

The thing I like about him is that he was a discus thrower. It's all about technique. If he is indeed a project, I feel good about him improving by leaps and bounds and his desire to do so. This is a guy that has had to work his ass off just to get where he is technically, as well as in terms of having to earn a spot on his team.

You've got to be impressed with Hunt's learning curve in such a short period of time.  Loads of potential.  I still wonder if, at 6'8", he will be able to maintain leverage at the NFL level.  Huge potential upside if he continues to learn at the same or similar rate.  Huge bust potential if some team takes a flyer on him early.

He played a lot of DE, DT in a 3-4 front at SMU, so he'd fit right in, in either front.  

Not at 9, no.  But if we took Dion Jordan at #9, and Hunt with a later pick we would have some long-armed freaks all over our defense. (Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Jordan, Hunt, Cromartie)...s'niiice. 

Under the premise that we land the #13 pick from Tampa, we could trade back (San Fran? would they trade their #31, and #34 to get Star Lotuelei/Sharif Floyd/Kenny Vaccaro/Milliner? at #13?? Might as well get a blue chipper with all those picks).  With our coup, we could land two potential starters and a good rotational player (Hunt) on the 1st/2nd fringe with our #31, #34, #39 picks. 

Whole lot of trading going on!  :)

With Coples, and Wilkerson on the team, and so many needs, Hunt becomes a luxury pick.

If Idzik is “Idzik the Wizard” , and the Jets have 4 picks in the first 39, yeah I’m good with it, except I still think Hunt will have a hard time getting past 17. 

You've got to be impressed with Hunt's learning curve in such a short period of time.  Loads of potential.  I still wonder if, at 6'8", he will be able to maintain leverage at the NFL level.  Huge potential upside if he continues to learn at the same or similar rate.  Huge bust potential if some team takes a flyer on him early.

Yeah, at 6’8” there is certainly a leverage problem.   He’s not one of these tall, fast, toothpick players. I think the guy did 38 reps on the bench.  That’s a lot for a guy with very long arms.

Watching his highlight video, a lot of his pass rush are power rushs to the inside.  Guys a freak.

Of course he has a bust factor, but I think he is a good gamble at 39, if the Jets didn’t take a pass rusher at 9

Yeah, at 6’8” there is certainly a leverage problem.   He’s not one of these tall, fast, toothpick players. I think the guy did 38 reps on the bench.  That’s a lot for a guy with very long arms.

Watching his highlight video, a lot of his pass rush are power rushs to the inside.  Guys a freak.

Of course he has a bust factor, but I think he is a good gamble at 39, if the Jets didn’t take a pass rusher at 9

Concur.  At 39, I am all over that pick.  

What a game. Bet working with Karl Dunbar would do wonders for him too, and he's going to make an immediate impact on specials.

That said, he's going to go too high for the Jets to justify drafting a third 3-4 end IMO. But if they move to a 4 man front...Hunt - Ellis - Wilkerson - Coples would be both large and freakishly athletic.

We could then call our DL CHEW.  I think FEAR had a better ring to it though.

He def looked too upright on that highlight reel.  agree with the 38 reps but I would pass on another "project". still have the beast rugby player and Vlad projects going on, if we trade revis may have the McCornerback project back in effect as well....

If someone bothers to watch 3-4 complete games of a prospect ill respect your opinion.

What else is there except the eye test?

I agree about the 3-4 games.  It is probably more than that.  These highlight reels are good for showing what a guy *could* do in the NFL, but they really don't tell you sh*t.  The eye test can only tell you so much because these guys are playing against inferior competition, even at the major conference level.  At least in comparison to what they will be facing on Sundays. That is why the measurables make a difference, no matter what the workout warrior whiners say.  

I agree about the 3-4 games.  It is probably more than that.  These highlight reels are good for showing what a guy *could* do in the NFL, but they really don't tell you sh*t.  The eye test can only tell you so much because these guys are playing against inferior competition, even at the major conference level.  At least in comparison to what they will be facing on Sundays. That is why the measurables make a difference, no matter what the workout warrior whiners say.  

This kids got measurables up the wazoo. I doubt he lasts to 39 though. Would love to trade back and snatch him up. I think I've found my football crush this draft.

Archived