We're not paying Dee Milliner $16 million.

Jetsfan80

To begin with, I'm not thrilled with our draft choices.  I'm not convinced those were the BPA, though they may well have been on Idzik's board. 

Regardless, can we put a moratorium on the "WHY DIDN'T WE JUST RE-SIGN REVIS?" comments?  The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have exposed themselves as the only insane team remaining in the NFL willing to pay a corner QB money.  We should be thankful that Idzik, whatever he might be, didn't put us in this kind of hole.

If Milliner ends up a monumental bust, or he can't stay healthy, then its a bad pick and simple as that.  Yes, Milliner will get Revis comparisons for his entire career as a Jet.  But he'll be playing on a rookie contract, so until he starts demanding Revis money, it's pointless to try to suggest that re-signing Revis was EVER an option for this team.  It was always going to be a trade or let go at the end of 2013 situation.  Milliner has NOTHING to do with that fact.

Oh, and Kyle Wilson sucks and is a bust.  That's my other takeaway from this pick.

While I don't disagree, what it shows is that the Jets still put a huge value on the CB position.

If you put a huge value on the CB position, by spending a 9 pick when you already have one of the best in the league, why not just pay the best CB in the league?

To be clear, I thought getting rid of Revis to allow for other areas of need, was the absolute right thing to do, by now using a 9 pick on another CB, I feel like it makes the Revis move idiotic to say the least.

If I was ranking needs for the Jets, CB and DT would have been near the very bottom of the list of non kicking positions.

I just don't get this team at all, I really don't.

Agree with JF80's analysis.  Not super thrilled with either pick.  CB wasn't a huge hole last year, as we already have a top NFL CB on our roster.  And the DL pick....well...idk what the plan is.  I really wanted Jarvis Jones at 13, but now it seems pretty apparent that we are going to a 4-3.  If Richardson is a beast then we could have a great front 4 with Mo and Coples.

But, I can't kill Idzik for ignoring the offense with both picks.  The guys we wanted, Austin and Warmack, were off the board (and if we had taken Warmack at 9 there would be just as many people here screaming about taking a guard at 9).  The only offensive skill player that would have been justifiable at 13 was Eifert, and even there... meh.

If Idzik got his BPAs, then these are definitely solid building blocks for the future.  It's just not gonna give you any kind of hope whatsoever for 2013.

How much extra cap space did we save, by not even going through a negotiation process?

How much of a process do you need when Revis wants $16M/year every year, and you know you're only willing to pay $11M or $12M tops? And this for a guy coming off an ACL tear?

Trading Revis was the right move.

The #9 pick last year, Luke Kuechly, signed a 4 year, $12.6M contract. So we're looking at four years of the draft's top CB for a little more 3/4 of the cost of Revis for a single season.

How much of a process do you need when Revis wants $16M/year every year, and you know you're only willing to pay $11M or $12M tops? And this for a guy coming off an ACL tear?

Trading Revis was the right move.

The #9 pick last year, Luke Kuechly, signed a 4 year, $12.6M contract. So we're looking at four years of the draft's top CB for a little more 3/4 of the cost of Revis for a single season.

I understand that slats, I can't believe they took a CB, I hope the savings is all worth it, I can't wait for Revis to holdout already!

I said it before the draft and I'll say it again, linking the two events is extraordinarily flawed reasoning.  You don't go and take all of the CBs off your draft board simply because you traded one away.  Perhaps it was not what we (or probably even the Jets) would have ideally liked to have happened, but with every top pass rusher and the only offensive playmaker worth a damn flying off the board right before their pick, this is how things turned out.  The Jets obviously had no idea how the top of the draft was going to fall so acting as if a draft pick they eventually make later should have any impact on a decision made well before that is ridiculous.

Are we really to believe that back in February when they first started shopping Revis they should have thought to themselves "well if the draft goes exactly this way, we might end up taking Dee Milliner, so let's just pay Revis $16 million / year instead"?  What the hell kind of asinine logic is that?  Or is that they should have simply taken a player who they felt was worse than Milliner because of another player who is no longer on their team?

We wanted the best of both worlds.  We wanted BPA to also fill our perceived needs.  The way the board played out thru 8 picks could not really have been worse.  All 3 pass rushers, gone, including the "consensus" guy for us at # 9, Mingo.

Ultimately, trading down was my preferred move.  But killing the pick at 9 because of the Revis situation is moronic.  There was no way to negotiate with Revis, no way to get him to agree to stay for $12 million, and no way on God's green earth we were paying him $16 million.

Kill the pick because he wasn't the BPA or because we have traded down.  Not because of Revis.

We wanted the best of both worlds.  We wanted BPA to also fill our perceived needs.  The way the board played out thru 8 picks could not really have been worse.  All 3 pass rushers, gone, including the "consensus" guy for us at # 9, Mingo.

Ultimately, trading down was my preferred move.  But killing the pick at 9 because of the Revis situation is moronic.  There was no way to negotiate with Revis, no way to get him to agree to stay for $12 million, and no way on God's green earth we were paying him $16 million.

Kill the pick because he wasn't the BPA or because we have traded down.  Not because of Revis.

Exactly.  I have no problem with people not liking the pick, as I'm not totally in love with it either, but it has nothing to do with Revis.

I said it before the draft and I'll say it again, linking the two events is extraordinarily flawed reasoning.  You don't go and take all of the CBs off your draft board simply because you traded one away.  Perhaps it was not what we (or probably even the Jets) would have ideally liked to have happened, but with every top pass rusher and the only offensive playmaker worth a damn flying off the board right before their pick, this is how things turned out.  The Jets obviously had no idea how the top of the draft was going to fall so acting as if a draft pick they eventually make later should have any impact on a decision made well before that is ridiculous.

Are we really to believe that back in February when they first started shopping Revis they should have thought to themselves "well if the draft goes exactly this way, we might end up taking Dee Milliner, so let's just pay Revis $16 million / year instead"?  What the hell kind of asinine logic is that?  Or is that they should have simply taken a player who they felt was worse than Milliner because of another player who is no longer on their team?

You don't have to necessarily link the two events to not understand it.

I am not making this a Millner for Revis swap.

I am saying that the reason I was for trading Revis was that I don't agree with paying $16m per year for a corner, that is crazy.

By the same token, the 9th pick on a corner is a very high price to pay.

What it tells me is that the organization either thinks this guy is going to be in the ballpark as Revis, OR, they believe that CB is that vital of a position that you have to have two top tier CB's.

To me, I don't know how anyone can project Millner to be that great. Corners are so hard to predict coming out of college, as hard as any other position, so what this tells me is that they really, really value the CB position.

If so, which I disagree with, why not overpay for the sure thing?

I would much rather overpay for the sure thing, than spend a lot of value on a projection, and fill some other needs. But to be crystal clear, I would have preferred sticking with Cro for this year, seeing if Wilson can eventually fill the role he was drafted for, and pick up either a pass rusher like Jones, and/or Eifert.

Like Casserly, who is actually a great listen to, said, you simply cannot judge the Revis trade before a minimum of three years.  Revis was traded for Richards, next years 3rd and about 40 million dollars in cap space over the next three years.  Until we see what the team does with that allotted money, it's impossible and unfair to judge the trade.  Was I happy about the pick? Not really. Was there anyone I wanted more who was still left on the board? Not really. 

I was upset at how the board broke, not how we handled it, as I think we handled it fine.  If we do land a QB this year or the next that has the potential to be a solid starting 15-20 type QB, then we will be in very solid position with all the free cap space and players on rookie contracts.

Warmack was there, who would change the offense. Eifert...anyone on offense. At some point the Jets need to draft offense...

Something tells me they don't view drafting an offensive guard in the top 15 a worthwhile pick, which goes against that whole ground n pound mentality.  If Eifert was this elite weapon and lock for the top 15, he wouldn't have fallen to 21.  There's still 6 rounds left in this draft, kinda hard to judge when 1/7th of the draft isn't even over yet.

You don't have to necessarily link the two events to not understand it.

I am not making this a Millner for Revis swap.

I am saying that the reason I was for trading Revis was that I don't agree with paying $16m per year for a corner, that is crazy.

By the same token, the 9th pick on a corner is a very high price to pay.

What it tells me is that the organization either thinks this guy is going to be in the ballpark as Revis, OR, they believe that CB is that vital of a position that you have to have two top tier CB's.

To me, I don't know how anyone can project Millner to be that great. Corners are so hard to predict coming out of college, as hard as any other position, so what this tells me is that they really, really value the CB position.

If so, which I disagree with, why not overpay for the sure thing?

I would much rather overpay for the sure thing, than spend a lot of value on a projection, and fill some other needs. But to be crystal clear, I would have preferred sticking with Cro for this year, seeing if Wilson can eventually fill the role he was drafted for, and pick up either a pass rusher like Jones, and/or Eifert.

I see what you're saying for the most part, I guess I just don't get the "might as well have paid Revis" aspect of it all.  While you may think it's too high of a pick to use on a CB, and I can certainly get that, I still think it can be easily enough argued there's a lot less risk with a single draft pick for a player than there is with 15% of your cap for a player.

While I certainly could be wrong, I think a big part of it is that the top 8 picks fell about as badly as they could for the Jets, and I don't think they had any plans of things going that way for them.  In the end I'm not sure they end up taking Milliner if the picks before them go even slightly different than they did.  At the very least, I'd bet anything they didn't trade Revis with the mindset that they were definitely going to turn around and commit to using the #9 pick on his replacement.

I see what you're saying for the most part, I guess I just don't get the "might as well have paid Revis" aspect of it all.  While you may think it's too high of a pick to use on a CB, and I can certainly get that, I still think it can be easily enough argued there's a lot less risk with a single draft pick for a player than there is with 15% of your cap for a player.

While I certainly could be wrong, I think a big part of it is that the top 8 picks fell about as badly as they could for the Jets, and I don't think they had any plans of things going that way for them.  In the end I'm not sure they end up taking Milliner if the picks before them go even slightly different than they did.  At the very least, I'd bet anything they didn't trade Revis with the mindset that they were definitely going to turn around and commit to using the #9 pick on his replacement.

I agree that the draft broke terribly for the Jets in the first 8, partly because of Rex telling Austin that he was going to draft him.

Im not going to try to argue paying Revis that contract, I don't agree with it, and thought we did the absolute right thing and was pleasantly surprised getting the 13th pick for him plus a 3rd next year.

My point may not be valid, I acknowledge that, but it's just my feeling that with so many other bigger needs, drafting a CB with the 9th pick, particularly one with 5 surgeries under his belt already, sends a signal that we highly value CB's.

I don't value them that highly, the new rules make it almost impossible to play CB anymore.

Revis was rare in that he could.

I think paying Revis would have been stupid, all I am saying is that I think it would have been less stupid than trading him for the 13th pick, than drafting a CB with the 9th pick, because they clearly value the CB position much higher than I do.

Warmack was there, who would change the offense. Eifert...anyone on offense. At some point the Jets need to draft offense...

I didn't love the Milliner pick mind you, but you don't go and take the #2 G / #5 OL just out of a desperate need to make sure your selection is on offense.  I would have hated that far more than anything the Jets ended up doing.  Eifert is the only guy I can see an argument for, and there seems to be some significantly different opinions on the guy out there, so who knows how the Jets felt.

What worthwhile QB is only making 16 million dollars nowadays? Tony Romo got 20 million. A guard got 12/13 million last offseason ffs.

They should have kept the man. The owner is a dirtbag, plain and simple.

I agree that the draft broke terribly for the Jets in the first 8,
partly because of Rex telling Austin that he was going to draft him.

tumblr_ly2toleFWz1rn0qyoo1_250.gif

It's hilarious that Rex Ryan went from "Idzik wants nothing to do with him, he's just going to fire him after Rex buys him a year" to ****in draft czar within minutes.

I love the way the Jets handled it. I would have liked Austin and Jarvis Jones instead - but Austin wasn't available, nor was he worth a trade up for. As far as Richardson is concerned, I don't know how he fits in and I just watched him for the first time last night. He looks like a player, I'm no expert - but this might be the ACTUAL bowling ball with butchers knives. lol The kids has a high motor and looks like he has no fat on him. For a 300 pound guy, that is pretty impressive.

At some point we need to get some players who can score TD's.

That will require a QB we don't have.  I agree that we need to invest in the offense before that QB gets here, but the only guy on the board we could have rightly taken at 9 OR 13 that would have been BPA on offense would have been Warmack, a pick I didn't really support.

There are a lot of guys left in this draft that can help on offense.  I wish we would have traded down to acquire more of them, but we didn't.

Archived