Some good info from Jane McNally

eboozer

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/24650/rex-report-allen-leads-safety-competition

CORTLAND, N.Y. – Antonio Allen is in the lead for the starting safety spot opposite Dawan Landry, Jets coach Rex Ryan said Monday.

10 Biggest Issues At Jets Camp

It's no secret. The Jets had tons of issues heading into training camp.

We stopped at 10. Top 10 Photo Gallery Blog »

“It’s good competition, because Jaiquawn Jarrett is behind him. That’s going to be real fun to watch because both guys [are] physical players. I love Allen’s length and he’s been impressive at times. He’s not there yet, but some of the things he’s done, he made a couple real nice plays the other day.

“Both of them can blitz, both of them are aggressive in the run game and we’ll just let that play out.”

Allen, going into his third NFL season, has been getting a lot of the first-team reps alongside Landry. As for safety Josh Bush, who many thought would compete for the starting role, Ryan said he is studying to back up Landry.

Allen intercepted a Mark Sanchez pass in 7-on-7 drills on Saturday, coming down with a ball intended for Stephen Hill. In that play, the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Allen had an advantage. Jarrett is about the same height, while Bush is 5-11.

Last season the Jets had LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell, a solid combo, but both free agents signed with other teams after the season.

BEST IN LEAGUE?: There is reason to be optimistic when it comes to the Jets' defensive line. Quinton Coples, Kenrick Ellis and Muhammad Wilkerson are developing into formidable players. Ryan was asked if he thought the Jets could have one of the best defensive lines in the league, as Coples had said earlier.

“I think we got a long road before we can say that,” Ryan said. “How about we play a couple of games? But they certainly are a talented group.”

NOT ABOUT THE BIKE: Ryan is frustrated with the numbers of players who worked on the bikes Monday. WRs Jordan White, Joe Collins and Marcus Davis worked with trainers instead of doing team drills.

“How many more wideouts are over there?” Ryan said. “Like really, That kid again? Eventually you get tired of seeing it. We want football players, guys who play football and availability is an important thing in this league.”

LINE PLAY: Ryan praised offensive linemen Willie Colon and Austin Howard for their solid wall. “I might have been able to run behind that,” Ryan said. He compared them to Brandon Moore and Damien Woody.

QUICK HITS: Ryan said DT Kenrick Ellis dominated Sunday in pads, but was shut down Monday ... Asked about how well second-year receiver Stephen Hill has played at camp, Ryan said, “I’m not going to comment of Stephen, because he’s doing so well I’m not going to comment on him.” ... Ryan said the next live practice is likely to be the goal line and short-yardage drills planned for Thursday ... Last up, Ryan was asked about the Dee Milliner signing and joked, “I made that call.” Then he started laughing, “Oh my goodness.”Just a couple of snipp

LINE PLAY: Ryan praised offensive linemen Willie Colon and Austin Howard for their solid wall. “I might have been able to run behind that,” Ryan said. He compared them to Brandon Moore and Damien Woody.

QUICK HITS: Ryan said DT Kenrick Ellis dominated Sunday in pads, but was shut down Monday ... Asked about how well second-year receiver Stephen Hill has played at camp, Ryan said, “I’m not going to comment of Stephen, because he’s doing so well I’m not going to comment on him.” ...

Interesting.  Colon must be player RG instead of LG as most of us figured.  Also, sounds as if Landry is going to play FS with Bush backing him up.

Doesn't sound as if White's prospects are very good since he can't stay healthy.

Interesting.  Colon must be player RG instead of LG as most of us figured.  Also, sounds as if Landry is going to play FS with Bush backing him up.

Doesn't sound as if White's prospects are very good since he can't stay healthy.

Colon is playing both sides depends who is playing with him.    Sure hope this guy can stay healthy, so far he looks like a real good find

Especially with a couple of the undrafted guys stepping up. You make the roster as a #5 WR by proving yourself on specials. If these kids are getting reps on specials while White is riding a bike, it's pretty close to all over for him.

Especially with a couple of the undrafted guys stepping up. You make the roster as a #5 WR by proving yourself on specials. If these kids are getting reps on specials while White is riding a bike, it's pretty close to all over for him.

All these hammies  and other minor injuries starting plaguing the Jets after Sal Alosi  got fired for tripping a Fish player.  Before that the Jets had some of the healthiest camps in the NFL

Guys paid his penance, why not bring him back?  Public image?  PC?   Screw that,

LIBERATE SAL

It's Allen's second year.  Same as Bush.  They were both drafted last year.  The interesting thing about them is that they kept Bush on roster all along while Allen got more run and seemed to look better on the field, but was bounced between the roster and practice squad.  This does not bode well for safety help in coverage.  Allen can run a bit, but he seems more of an in the box guy.  Think Eric Smith who (hopefully) doesn't trip over his own shoelaces. 

What do you think Ellis being "shut down Monday" meant?  Does it mean they rested him with that pitch count attitude they have on some of the guys that get hurt or that Mangold handled him? 

Yeah.  I never was particularly fond of Jordan White.  It might help him to be hurt and get stashed again like last year.  

All these hammies  and other minor injuries starting plaguing the Jets after Sal Alosi  got fired for tripping a Fish player.  Before that the Jets had some of the healthiest camps in the NFL

Guys paid his penance, why not bring him back?  Public image?  PC?   Screw that,

LIBERATE SAL

Good S&C guys are worth their weight in gold on a football team! I agree - Bring back the day tripper!!!

What do you think Ellis being "shut down Monday" meant?  Does it mean they rested him with that pitch count attitude they have on some of the guys that get hurt or that Mangold handled him? 

In another article I read it said that because of his out standing performance on Sunday, the Jets O line put 2 guys on him every play, and one of them was Mangold, to get him acclimated to what life in the NFL is like for a impact NT. 

It slowed him down a good bit.  Hopefully it will serve him well in the long run

In another article I read it said that because of his out standing performance on Sunday, the Jets O line put 2 guys on him every play, and one of them was Mangold, to get him acclimated to what life in the NFL is like for a impact NT. 

It slowed him down a good bit.  Hopefully it will serve him well in the long run

Hopefully it will serve Richardson, Coples and Wilkerson well too.

Hopefully it will serve Richardson, Coples and Wilkerson well too.

Yep, that's probably the plan.   When you have 3 DL as athletic as they are, and an offense has to dedicate 2 blockers for a NT, good things happen for your Defense.

We may seldom read big stats for Ellis, but if teams have to spend 2 OL to control him, the other guys will have a field day

It's Allen's second year.  Same as Bush.  They were both drafted last year.  The interesting thing about them is that they kept Bush on roster all along while Allen got more run and seemed to look better on the field, but was bounced between the roster and practice squad.  This does not bode well for safety help in coverage.  Allen can run a bit, but he seems more of an in the box guy.  Think Eric Smith who (hopefully) doesn't trip over his own shoelaces. 

Yeah.  I never was particularly fond of Jordan White.  It might help him to be hurt and get stashed again like last year.  

Was wondering the same thing about Ellis.  

Allen is a baller.  Kid can make plays.  He used to fly around the field for the cocks and get a lot of tackles.  Cant quite remember how many were open down field tackles as opposed to in the box.  But I can always remember him being around the ball any time I watch the cocks or the Gators played them.

No sh*t?  Sounds like someone is getting this team back to the basics and getting physical.  

I think it's safe to say you really can't hold it against the guy if he's not blowing things up while getting double-teamed, with one of those guys being Mangold of all people.  The fact that he's even commanding that in practice is certainly a great first step.

Was wondering the same thing about Ellis.  

Allen is a baller.  Kid can make plays.  He used to fly around the field for the cocks and get a lot of tackles.  Cant quite remember how many were open down field tackles as opposed to in the box.  But I can always remember him being around the ball any time I watch the cocks or the Gators played them.

And we all know how much time you've spent watching cocks.

I think it's safe to say you really can't hold it against the guy if he's not blowing things up while getting double-teamed, with one of those guys being Mangold of all people.  The fact that he's even commanding that in practice is certainly a great first step.

That is the definition of a successful NT.   Occupy blockers while other people make plays. 

I'm going to put my green tinted glasses on for the rest of this post, but IMO the Jets front 7 has a legitimate chance to be very special.   Doing the math, Big Mo, right now, is a must double team kind of guy, and he still makes plays.  At the end of last season Couples was gaining a lot of respect, and drawing a lot of doubles.  So far in camp Richardson has several sacks, and looks like the real deal, who is going to require doubles. 

There just isn't enough guys on the OL to successfully block just the front guys.    If either Barnes, or Sapp can bring some heat from the edge with RB's blocking them, and Rex's creative schemes,  

(Yep the glasses are on)  This could become a murders row for QB's 

That is the definition of a successful NT.   Occupy blockers while other people make plays. 

I'm going to put my green tinted glasses on for the rest of this post, but IMO the Jets front 7 has a legitimate chance to be very special.   Doing the math, Big Mo, right now, is a must double team kind of guy, and he still makes plays.  At the end of last season Couples was gaining a lot of respect, and drawing a lot of doubles.  So far in camp Richardson has several sacks, and looks like the real deal, who is going to require doubles. 

There just isn't enough guys on the OL to successfully block just the front guys.    If either Barnes, or Sapp can bring some heat from the edge with RB's blocking them, and Rex's creative schemes,  

If the Jets can rush 4 most of the time it will allow better and more creative coverages, and make the blitzing they do much more effective. It all starts with the line and I think that this years line is a significant upgrade over last year if Ellis can continue to play well.

That last part is huge but is a big if.  If they can get someone to step up in that role this defense can be special. Doubtful they will get the chance to beat a RB but if they can get pressure against a tight end or tackle one on one....they will be alright.

LIBERATE SAL

I don't know if the NFL would allow it, but if so, I agree...bring him back.  He's probably a hero to the Jets players.

Yep, that's probably the plan.   When you have 3 DL as athletic as they are, and an offense has to dedicate 2 blockers for a NT, good things happen for your Defense.

We may seldom read big stats for Ellis, but if teams have to spend 2 OL to control him, the other guys will have a field day

Yep.  And if Mo and/or Richardson start running wild causing havoc, then teams may decide to double one or both of them leaving Ellis and an OLB (Coples?) free to cause havoc.  I'm already salivating at the prospects.

I thought they were rookies last year.  I read a couple of articles today that stated that they need to play coming into their 3rd season.  didnt think that was correct.

If the first 2 or so practices are an indicator, you may yet win our bet that Clyde has a better year than Jordan.  I am not ready to concede just yet.

I thought they were rookies last year.  I read a couple of articles today that stated that they need to play coming into their 3rd season.  didnt think that was correct.

If the first 2 or so practices are an indicator, you may yet win our bet that Clyde has a better year than Jordan.  I am not ready to concede just yet.

Camp MVP!  Concede! Concede!

Stop it! your making me hard......can i have ur number so u can jet dirty talk me?

Archived