Is Idzik kicking himself for not drafting EJ Manuel yet?

Kleckineau

Shaun Hill looked awesome against us.  I don't mean in a way like we made a scrub look good.  He was sticking guys in the numbers or leading them a foot off their torsos on every throw.  With throws like that he'd have looked just as good against anyone who gave his receivers 6" of space. I was impressed.

The Jets have a history of making rookie and backup QBs look like HOFers.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets have a history of making rookie and backup QBs look like HOFers.

Then you missed my point.  If the QB is hitting bullseyes on every pass it doesn't matter who he's playing against.  And Hill was most definitely hitting bullseyes.  If you have it recorded it's worth fast-forwarding to see all his passes.  Then look where our lame-o incumbent QB places his passes for his receivers 80% of the time.

If a team is not playing great on defense and a bad QB is NOT making such accurate throws you know what you get? You get Ryan Lindley's and Chad Henne's efforts against the Jets last year.

Shaun Hill looked awesome against us.  I don't mean in a way like we made a scrub look good.  He was sticking guys in the numbers or leading them a foot off their torsos on every throw.  With throws like that he'd have looked just as good against anyone who gave his receivers 6" of space. I was impressed.

100% agreed.

A lot of these guys that are already coming from money make deals with certain draft gurus to try and prop their status.

It's just like the Heisman.  Some teams and players get tons of press, billboards in Times Square and so on.  And many times they aren't all that great.  

And it's about the schools and perception.   A guy like Manti Te'o playing for USC last year and nobody gives a damn.  And USC is a known school.   THis isn't an NFL thing, it's a human thing.  Kickbacks, handshakes, and everything else.    It's just most of the time they blame the kids and not the agents, owners, schools, parents, etc.  I mean most of the NFL draft is now a big event for months and you see certain guys who aren't all that special have a great workout, get more press, get even more press and suddenly go from some late first rounder/second rounder to a top 10 pick.   It means more money and possible more endorsements for all involved.  

Hell remember when Matt Leinart dropped so low people were talking about all the money he lost.  Imagine all the money his agent lost.

It's just like the Heisman.  Some teams and players get tons of press, billboards in Times Square and so on.  And many times they aren't all that great.  

And it's about the schools and perception.   A guy like Manti Te'o playing for USC last year and nobody gives a damn.  And USC is a known school.   THis isn't an NFL thing, it's a human thing.  Kickbacks, handshakes, and everything else.    It's just most of the time they blame the kids and not the agents, owners, schools, parents, etc.  I mean most of the NFL draft is now a big event for months and you see certain guys who aren't all that special have a great workout, get more press, get even more press and suddenly go from some late first rounder/second rounder to a top 10 pick.   It means more money and possible more endorsements for all involved.  

Hell remember when Matt Leinart dropped so low people were talking about all the money he lost.  Imagine all the money his agent lost.

Agreed.

Then you missed my point.  If the QB is hitting bullseyes on every pass it doesn't matter who he's playing against.  And Hill was most definitely hitting bullseyes.  If you have it recorded it's worth fast-forwarding to see all his passes.  Then look where our lame-o incumbent QB places his passes for his receivers 80% of the time.

If a team is not playing great on defense and a bad QB is NOT making such accurate throws you know what you get? You get Ryan Lindley's and Chad Henne's efforts against the Jets last year.

I didn't really miss your point.  I've seen Hill play before.  He usually isn't that accurate.  The fact that he had all day to throw only improves accuracy.  Hill isn't a bad QB, but he isn't really a good one, either.  He's meh.

A lot of these guys that are already coming from money make deals with certain draft gurus to try and prop their status.

I don't follow college or the draft preparation much, so I'm just asking.  Is this a commonly known thing?

Because some of these draft gurus are on TV and get millions of dollars yearly selling their knowledge or viewpoint.  It would seem nutty to risk that for a kickback, (which is not to say it's not going on).

I didn't really miss your point.  I've seen Hill play before.  He usually isn't that accurate.  The fact that he had all day to throw only improves accuracy.  Hill isn't a bad QB, but he isn't really a good one, either.  He's meh.

Hill has a career 62% completion rate. He's pretty damn accurate for a backup.

I don't follow college or the draft preparation much, so I'm just asking.  Is this a commonly known thing?

Because some of these draft gurus are on TV and get millions of dollars yearly selling their knowledge or viewpoint.  It would seem nutty to risk that for a kickback, (which is not to say it's not going on).

It happens- and I dont think the Mcshay's and Mayocks of the world are pulling in millions tbh.

Dont think these guys can't be bought. Hell, Mayock ripped every player the Jets took in the 2013 draft only because Jets negativity draws viewers. Kiper called the Jets a glorified expansion team.

Shaun Hill looked awesome against us. I don't mean in a way like we made a scrub look good. He was sticking guys in the numbers or leading them a foot off their torsos on every throw. With throws like that he'd have looked just as good against anyone who gave his receivers 6" of space. I was impressed.

Shaun Hill did a great job a couple years ago when Stafford was out.

Being an FSU fan I can tell you the EJ struggles a lot when it comes to the pressure of big games. A cpl preseason games won't determine what he will look like come reg season. He benefited a lot from a strong run game the Noles had. He may develop into a good QB in the league, but he struggles when forced to take over a game through the air.

He did take over that Clemson game last year. He can do it, but I don't know if he can do it consistently. 

He did take over that Clemson game last year. He can do it, but I don't know if he can do it consistently.

Yeah he can do it here and there( and remember that is College), but he was crap in the NC ST. game when it mattered, and absolute garbage and single handedly lost the UF game.

USC???  Ahem.  Notre Dame would be shocked to hear that.

Wow!  That's surprising.  I would have never thought he would have been that accurate.  I sit corrected.

I was surprised too. Wasn't expecting it.

Only reason I checked was because I thought he looked pretty good Saturday night and was curious.

I was surprised too. Wasn't expecting it.

Only reason I checked was because I thought he looked pretty good Saturday night and was curious.

I thought he looked awesome and I don't care if his career completion percentage is 44% and this is the best he's ever looked his whole life.  The guy was throwing bullseyes.

Yeah he can do it here and there( and remember that is College), but he was crap in the NC ST. game when it mattered, and absolute garbage and single handedly lost the UF game.

Preface: I'm not making excuses on the man, but merely offering an alternative argument.

NC ST game Jimbo was calling BS plays like running the ball on 3rd and 17 while we were 2 points ahead late in the game (playing to not lose as opposed to playing to win), counting on the Defense to win the game.

The game vs FL was his senior day and his mother, who he hadn't seen in months and was away undergoing cancer treatment, surprised him by visiting. Heard he was a blubbering mess before the game ever started.

Again, I don't know what really happened and who's to blame for these games but I'm sure Buffalo's scouts knew before they traded back to select him in the first round. That move may or may not work out for them. Who's to know?

Preface: I'm not making excuses on the man, but merely offering an alternative argument.

NC ST game Jimbo was calling BS plays like running the ball on 3rd and 17 while we were 2 points ahead late in the game (playing to not lose as opposed to playing to win), counting on the Defense to win the game.

The game vs FL was his senior day and his mother, who he hadn't seen in months and was away undergoing cancer treatment, surprised him by visiting. Heard he was a blubbering mess before the game ever started.

Again, I don't know what really happened and who's to blame for these games but I'm sure Buffalo's scouts knew before they traded back to select him in the first round. That move may or may not work out for them. Who's to know?

We shall see in time, just don't think Manuel has what it takes to be a top QB in the league. I think he will be a solid player, make some splash plays here and there and take care of the ball unlike our QB for past 4 yrs. I just don't think he has the potential like Griffin, Wilson, Kaepernick, etc

Archived