Milliner Doesn't Practice

flgreen

Milliner (calf) doesn't practice

August, 20, 2013

Aug 20

7:31

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rookie CB Dee Milliner, coming off a shaky performance against the Jaguars, didn't practice Tuesday because of a sore calf.

Milliner, the ninth overall pick in the draft, has been nagged by the calf for several days. He dressed for practice, in full pads, but spent a lot of time off to the side, working with the trainers.

"It hasn't been getting a whole lot better, so the trainers came to me and said, 'Let's give him some time,'" Rex Ryan said. "Hopefully, it won't be too long and, hopefully, he'll be back out there."

Ryan was critical of Milliner after the Jacksonville game, as was fellow CB Antonio Cromartie, who said they expect more out of the rookie.

"For [Milliner], you've got to take it as a challenge," Cromartie said Tuesday. "You being the NFL player, you being a professional guy, you want to take what the coach says as a challenge. ... We all look forward to seeing how he's going to step up this week."

If Milliner doesn't play Saturday night against the Giants, he'd be replaced by Kyle Wilson.

I've got no problem with Wilson over Milliner at this point.  Milliner needs the reps that's for sure but if he's not 100% then it's best to let him come along slowly.  Milliner is the future but as of right now Wilson is better.  At this point I'm starting to wonder why we spent a high draft pick on an undersized back who I now read has a history of injury issues.  I hope it's just chicken little stuff.   

I've got no problem with Wilson over Milliner at this point.  Milliner needs the reps that's for sure but if he's not 100% then it's best to let him come along slowly.  Milliner is the future but as of right now Wilson is better.  At this point I'm starting to wonder why we spent a high draft pick on an undersized back who I now read has a history of injury issues.  I hope it's just chicken little stuff.   

give millner a break bruddah.  Guy suited up in pads a couple of weeks ago for the first time as a pro.  He is going to be fine(i hope)...

Yeah, this really isn't a big deal at all.  The kid's a rookie for crying out loud.  Not to say Milliner will ever reach his level, because that's not my point, but the truth is Revis wasn't anywhere near as good as he became during his rookie year.  That was also despite Mangini's D not putting Revis into anywhere close as difficult of coverage situations back then as Rex's D later did to him and now Milliner, as that D saw a whole lot more zone with plenty more help.

Not to mention, as disliked as he is around here and though he certainly hasn't lived up to expectations from when he was drafted, the truth is Wilson was still quite solid at the #2 position in the second half of last year, so the Jets certainly have other options available to him if he has too rough of a rookie year.

Yeah, this really isn't a big deal at all.  The kid's a rookie for crying out loud.  Not to say Milliner will ever reach his level, because that's not my point, but the truth is Revis wasn't anywhere near as good as he became during his rookie year.  That was also despite Mangini's D not putting Revis into anywhere close as difficult of coverage situations back then as Rex's D later did to him and now Milliner, as that D saw a whole lot more zone with plenty more help.

Not to mention, as disliked as he is around here and though he certainly hasn't lived up to expectations from when he was drafted, the truth is Wilson was still quite solid at the #2 position in the second half of last year, so the Jets certainly have other options available to him if he has too rough of a rookie year.

The hate for Wilson around here is completely unjust, even when you take his draft position into consideration.  Look around the league, Wilson was a late round 1st, 29th overall. 

Here's a list of CB's take from the 25th-35th spot in the draft over the past few years:

2011 - 33/34 overall - Ras Dowling, Aarron Williams - ever heard of them? 

2010 - 27 - Devin McCourty, 29 - Kyle WIlson, 32 - Patrick Robinson, 34 - Chris Cook - any of the setting the league on fire?

2009 - 25 - Vontae Davis, 33 

2008 - 25 - Michael Jenkins, 27 - Antoine Cason, 31 - Kenny Philips, 35 - Brandon Flowers

I could go on but its pointless...the list isnt very good.  

Wilson is a good player, has been a part of one the best secondaries in the league as has been seeing significant playing time ever since his rookie season, game 1.  It wasnt a terrible pick, in fact, it was a fairly good one. 

I hope you're not trying to break into a career as a Jets beat writer. Because you're doing it wrong already.

you're right. I should be mentioning how my anonymous source told me Milliner had a rough game because his work ethic is for sh*t.

Archived