the GM shouldn't undercut the HC on QB

bitonti

people say Rex has been clueless on the QB, but he's never had a better option than Sanchez. He probably still doesn't. What's so clueless about playing the best player? What are the alternatives?

I think it's foolish to assume that if the HC was demanding a better option at QB he wouldn't have gotten it... instead, I've heard him blindly defend and coddle Sanchez, reference the 2 Afc champ games as a credit to consuela as if he had anything to do with them, and of course the ultimate proof is the tattoo ... guy doesn't get a tat of his wife wearing the QB's jersey unless he's extremely committed to the guy

in short, there was no better options at QB cause Rex didn't want one

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in short, there was no better options at QB cause Rex didn't want one

The HC is not the GM he doesn't pick the groceries. We can't even say Geno is better than Mark after last week. He looked just as bad or even worse. a lack of a QB is on the GM not the HC. Unless you want to promote Rex and give him another title. 

The HC is not the GM he doesn't pick the groceries. We can't even say Geno is better than Mark after last week. He looked just as bad or even worse. a lack of a QB is on the GM not the HC. Unless you want to promote Rex and give him another title.

only a fool believes the HC isn't heavily influencing draft picks and FA signings, particularly with tanny as GM... how did Bart Scott end up here, was that Tannys idea? gimme a break

we also know the scouting department wanted Russel Wilson just last year, in fact!!

This whole thing tells me that Rex was really a forced requirement by Woody when Idzig was hired, and I really would not think that the next coach should it come to that, who is hired by Idzig would have to deal with that. I would think that in any situation with any team where the QB is not 100% clear, the GM is a part of the decision, the question is how big or small of a part. I do think that it looks more and more likely that Rex was a condition of Idzigs hiring, in which case I have to ask did that condition hurt us in getting the best possible GM candidate available.

if Rex's guy is Sanchez (as we all seem to believe) why would Rex collaborate and say hey let's start Geno in week 3 vs the Giants? I mean every other thread is about how the guy has a tattoo of Mark on his arm. 

it was a failed experiment. It's unclear if they could have handled this whole thing worse. 

Um, because entering week 3 Sanchez was not his guy? Rex has stated the competition at that point was neck and neck.  When one then looks at Sanchez's body of work undermining Rex's defense, neck and neck does not go to the incumbent while there are still 2 games left in the pre-season.

I believe Rex's guy is anyone who is the starter.  For 4 years, that was Sanchez.  If Geno had a good game instead of showing he was unready in week 3, then Rex's guy would have been Geno Smith.

So I disagree with your un-factual premise that Sanchez was Rex's guy no matter what happened with the competition.

If you seriously think Rex had fully made up his mind on Sanchez after watching him make his same empty-headed mistakes in 2 out of 2 pre-season games, before giving Geno an equal shot with live competition, then that is on you, not "everyone" else.

If you seriously think Rex had fully made up his mind on Sanchez after watching him make his same empty-headed mistakes in 2 out of 2 pre-season games, before giving Geno an equal shot with live competition, then that is on you, not "everyone" else.

there's a reason why QB competitions are settled before the start of the season. Whatever the reason, whoever is to blame, the basic fact that the Jets haven't declared a starter is unacceptable. a better run organization would have done so by now, even if it wasn't the starter they wanted. 

there's a reason why QB competitions are settled before the start of the season. Whatever the reason, whoever is to blame, the basic fact that the Jets haven't declared a starter is unacceptable. a better run organization would have done so by now, even if it wasn't the starter they wanted. 

Well, since it's "unacceptable", what now?

....  I still say, despite what was leaked to newspapers, it was not 100% Coughlin's call to bench Warner while they were in a playoff hunt to get practice reps for Eli.  He - like any coach - has never come across as the type that says, "Yeah I know we're in the running at mid-season.  We're 5-3 and also have won 2 of 3 against winning teams headed to the playoffs and 10 wins themselves.  Despite my hard work, and despite all the hard work I demanded of all my coaches and players, I'm going to put an end to that right now and tell them it was all for nothing, because it might be in the franchise's best interest in future years to let a rookie QB get his reps in this season."

As Warner was benched after the ninth game, they didn't know that those two teams they beat were headed to the playoffs yet-it was midseason.

There is no reason to think Coughlin didn't make the decision, although I can't prove he did.  The Giants first drafted Eli with two #1 picks, and only then decided to go shopping for an interim vet to make it easier for Eli to break in.  That says a lot about their priorities that season, doesn't it?

The Giants went 4-1 their first five games and suddenly a window of opportunity seemed to open for Warner to keep his job for the season as he led his team to the playoffs. Then they went 1-3 the next four games, Warner was fumbling and throwing interceptions, the offense was in a stupor and that window of opportunity closed.  After that the team could either try to revamp with Warner still starting in a bid to make the playoffs, or insert Eli and get the transitiion going.  I don't find it surprising that he chose the second choice at all, especially since the articles made clear that the players viewed the change as a chance to get the team moving again. 

Obviously the team didn't move under Eli, but by that time it was too late to go back and the Giants wouldn't want to anyway.  The whole idea of getting Warner was to break Eli in.

Regardless of who actually made the decision to bench Warner, it is notable that the Giants officially stated that Coughlin made the decision and added that the front office wouldn't even try to make it with Tom Coughlin as coach.  That's a stark contrast to Idzik's we-make-the-decisions-together-but-we-always-see-eye-to-eye-what-the-heck-is-the-big-deal-man approach.

Archived