Tomlinson: Rex once said "I'm gonna punch [Belichick] in the face"

Jetsfan80

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can counter by asking, are you saying there was no acumen in drafting Tom Brady? That's what you are saying? In your opinion, that was 100% luck?

Where did I relate the drafting of Brady to something with Rex?

I'd put the luck factor comfortably in the 90+% range. What would you say?

No one is claiming or denying Belichick isn't skilled at what he does. But, the proposition that Belichick knew what he was getting when he drafted Brady in the 6th is not realistic. If Bill knew what he would be getting from Brady, he would have used his 1st round pick on him. That would show me serious acumen. Taking him in the 6th showed me Belichick saw POTENTIAL in him. Coaches see potential in dozens of players each year and depending how the draft goes they either get the opportunity to coach them or they do not. Just so happens, Belichick got that opportunity with Brady and got far more than he ever thought he would or could.

Considering that roughly half of all sixth round picks to on to be NFL HoF'ers, that's probably pretty close.

Considering that 31 other teams had the ability to draft Tom Brady before the Patriots did, I would say they had better intelligence and saw greater potential than others did. 

That is called doing your homework. They did not pick his name out of a hat.

Considering that 31 other teams had the ability to draft Tom Brady before the Patriots did, I would say they had better intelligence and saw greater potential than others did. 

That is called doing your homework. They did not pick his name out of a hat.

Sure, that homework and better intelligence that led to so many other outstanding sixth round picks for them. It's obvious the skill involved based on all those other successes.

Sure, that homework and better intelligence that led to so many other outstanding sixth round picks for them. It's obvious the skill involved based on all those other successes.

You only have to hit on one of them to be considered good. 

While others were sleeping, they pounced. 

Can't take that away from them.

Was it "dumb luck" that the Jets whiffed on Sanchez in the first round? 

Luck is the residue of design. You don't know what was in BB's mind. But the Patriots saw something in Brady that no one else saw. If you want to dismiss that as luck, it may be sour grapes.

He might be playing for another team by now if it wasn't for Mo Lewis.  Do we give them credit for running the play Mo slaughtered Bledsoe's spleen on as well?

Accumulating a lot of draft picks and nailing one of them doesn't impress me.  The Patriots have had 124 picks since 2000.  That's an AVERAGE of 8.9 picks per year.  Their philosophy is "accumulate tons of picks and hope you hit".  Here's the full list of busts they've had in those 124 picks:

Adrian Klemm

J.R. Redmond

Greg Randall

Dave Stachelski

Jeff Marriott

Antwan Harris

David Nugent

Casey Tisdale

Patrick Pass

Brock Williams

Kenyatta Jones

Jabari Holloway

Hakim Akbar

Arther Love

Leonard Myers

Owen Pochman

TJ Turner

Rohan Davey

Jarvis Green

Antwoine Womack

Eugene Wilson

Bethel Johnson

Dan Klecko

Kliff Kingsbury

Spencer Nead

Ethan Kelley

Ben Watson

Marquise Hill

Guss Scott

Dexter Reid

Cedric Cobbs

P.K. Sam

Christian Morton

Ellis Hobbs

Nick Kaczur

James Sanders

Ryan Claridge

Andy Stokes

Laurence Maroney

Chad Jackson

David Thomas

Garrett Mills

Ryan O'Callaghan

Jeremy Mincey

Dan Stevenson

LeKevin Smith

Willie Andrews

Brandon Meriweather

Kareem Brown

Clint Oldenburg

Justin Rogers

Mike Richardson

Justise Hairston

Jeremy Ebert

Corey Hilliard

Oscar Lua

Mike Elgin

Terrence Wheatley

Shawn Crable

Kevin O'Connell

Jonathan Wilhite

Matt Slater

Bo Ruud

Patrick Chung

Ron Brace

Darius Butler

Brandon Tate

Tyrone McKenzie

Rich Ohrnberger

George Bussey

Myron Pryor

Darryl Richard

Jermaine Cunningham

Taylor Price

Thomas Welch

Kade Weston

Zac Robinson

Ras-I Dowling

Lee Smith

Markell Carter

Malcolm Williams

Jeff Bequette

124 picks.  At least 82 complete and total busts.  And I didn't even factor in the 2012 and 2013 drafts to the equation since its "too soon to tell".

If you're going to celebrate Belichick's genius, you may want to leave his use of the NFL draft out of it.  Landing Tom Brady was complete and total luck. 

Arguing that it was "all part of the design" is completely false, because the design of the Patriot system has been to wear a blindfold and throw darts at random draft-eligible players and hope some of them stick.  

You are just the King of Cliches, huh?

Especially since there's no "design" to the Pats drafts.  The design from 2001-2006 was to rely on veteran leadership (most of which were free agent signings) and Brady.  The strategy in 2007 was to rely on Tom Brady and Randy Moss having a record setting season.  And from 2008 to today it has been to rely completely on Brady, because the defense isn't stopping anybody.  None of that speaks to any kind of "building through the draft" mentality. 

I'm pretty sure the only area on the field where Belichick has had ANY consistent success is in drafting offensive linemen, which as it turns out is probably the safest unit in the draft.  If you take top-rated OL, you're probably going to have a good offensive line.  GENIUS.

Accumulating a lot of draft picks and nailing one of them doesn't impress me.  The Patriots have had 124 picks since 2000.  That's an AVERAGE of 8.9 picks per year.  Their philosophy is "accumulate tons of picks and hope you hit".  Here's the full list of busts they've had in those 124 picks:

Adrian Klemm

J.R. Redmond

Greg Randall

Dave Stachelski

Jeff Marriott

Antwan Harris

David Nugent

Casey Tisdale

Patrick Pass

Brock Williams

Kenyatta Jones

Jabari Holloway

Hakim Akbar

Arther Love

Leonard Myers

Owen Pochman

TJ Turner

Rohan Davey

Jarvis Green

Antwoine Womack

Eugene Wilson

Bethel Johnson

Dan Klecko

Kliff Kingsbury

Spencer Nead

Ethan Kelley

Ben Watson

Marquise Hill

Guss Scott

Dexter Reid

Cedric Cobbs

P.K. Sam

Christian Morton

Ellis Hobbs

Nick Kaczur

James Sanders

Ryan Claridge

Andy Stokes

Laurence Maroney

Chad Jackson

David Thomas

Garrett Mills

Ryan O'Callaghan

Jeremy Mincey

Dan Stevenson

LeKevin Smith

Willie Andrews

Brandon Meriweather

Kareem Brown

Clint Oldenburg

Justin Rogers

Mike Richardson

Justise Hairston

Jeremy Ebert

Corey Hilliard

Oscar Lua

Mike Elgin

Terrence Wheatley

Shawn Crable

Kevin O'Connell

Jonathan Wilhite

Matt Slater

Bo Ruud

Patrick Chung

Ron Brace

Darius Butler

Brandon Tate

Tyrone McKenzie

Rich Ohrnberger

George Bussey

Myron Pryor

Darryl Richard

Jermaine Cunningham

Taylor Price

Thomas Welch

Kade Weston

Zac Robinson

Ras-I Dowling

Lee Smith

Markell Carter

Malcolm Williams

Jeff Bequette

124 picks.  At least 82 complete and total busts.  And I didn't even factor in the 2012 and 2013 drafts to the equation since its "too soon to tell".

If you're going to celebrate Belichick's genius, you may want to leave his use of the NFL draft out of it.  Landing Tom Brady was complete and total luck. 

Arguing that it was "all part of the design" is completely false, because the design of the Patriot system has been to wear a blindfold and throw darts at random draft-eligible players and hope some of them stick.  

Shall we compare their record and achievements?

Shall we compare their record and achievements?

Seriously? That's been pointed out already in this thread. At the same point in their head coaching careers Rex has been significantlyy more successful than Belichick. 

You keep trying to compare an NFL head coach who has been an NFL head coach for 17 years with someone who has only been in that position for four years. 

If you are making that comparison, the only way to make it remotely accurate or fair is to compare what the longer tenured coach had accomplished when he had been doing it as long as the lesser tenured coach. Otherwise, you're just cherry picking. 

You are saying "let me compare Rex Ryan to the coach widely considered the current best in the NFL." Of course Rex isn't going to look as good when you compare their entire careers but no one is going to look good when you compare them to Belichick right now.

If you compare Rex's four years as a head coach to Belichick's first four years, when he was with Cleveland, didn't have an all-time great at QB, in other words: leveling the playing field, Rex compares not just favorably, he looks awesome. 

Seriously? That's been pointed out already in this thread. At the same point in their head coaching careers Rex has been significantlyy more successful than Belichick. 

You keep trying to compare an NFL head coach who has been an NFL head coach for 17 years with someone who has only been in that position for four years. 

If you are making that comparison, the only way to make it remotely accurate or fair is to compare what the longer tenured coach had accomplished when he had been doing it as long as the lesser tenured coach. Otherwise, you're just cherry picking. 

You are saying "let me compare Rex Ryan to the coach widely considered the current best in the NFL." Of course Rex isn't going to look as good when you compare their entire careers but no one is going to look good when you compare them to Belichick right now.

If you compare Rex's four years as a head coach to Belichick's first four years, when he was with Cleveland, didn't have an all-time great at QB, in other words: leveling the playing field, Rex compares not just favorably, he looks awesome. 

Exactly how should I compare Rex Ryan in future years of coaching?

The NFL does not work that way. You are judged on your track record, not what future potential may be.

The team that BB inherited in Cleveland, does not compare in talent to what RR inherited. The end of the BB tenure in Cleveland was a TRUE CIRCUS.  The last year was a mess.

They were actually building something there.

In comparison, Rex's record has been in decline.

The NFL does not work that way. You are judged on your track record, not what future potential may be.

The team that BB inherited in Cleveland, does not compare in talent to what RR inherited. The end of the BB tenure in Cleveland was a TRUE CIRCUS.  The last year was a mess.

I am comparing them on their track record at the same point in their careers. No one is making any future judgments. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

I am comparing them on their track record at the same point in their careers. No one is making any future judgments. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

The situations were not exactly the same.

But, if you want comparison-BB'sClevelands teams were actually ascending, until the announcement by Modell.

RR team's? In decline for the last 2 years.

But, if you want comparison-BB'sClevelands teams were actually ascending, until the announcement by Modell.

They were ascending, until they weren't.  

PS: They were already 4-5 and had lost 4 of their last 5 when the announcement was made, but hey!  The Belichick legend lives on!

Of course they aren't. No two situations are ever going to be the same. But you keep spinning until you can claim yourself some semblance of a victory. 

So if Rex ends the decline this season will you admit you were wrong?

Archived