Marty Mornhinweg through 2 games

nj meadowlands

That's why the pistol formation can be effective.

Everyone keeps saying if our wr's didnt drop all those passes we would have won....but imagine if NE WRs didnt drop all their passes - it would have been a blowout loss. What if Geno was more accurate - then maybe some of those passes are caught.

If Gates and Hill catch the freakin ball the Jets win by 10 and NO ONE is complaining about MM's play calling. It's as simple as that. The plays were THERE TO BE MADE but Hill and Gates DID NOT make them. Hill's fumble cost the Jets three points and Gates drops cost us 10 more. Plus, Gates did squat to stop an interception deep in Pats territory just kinda watched. Didn't even TRY to get a hand in there. It was like he didn't know where he was on the field. Pathetic. What is more pathetic is that Rex Ryan caters to this kind of play, and this kind of player. Every Jets fan out there would right now cut Clyde Gates if given the opportunity, but NOT Rex.

I can't subscribe to the "jets need to run more" theory. After years of too much running they can't fall back into old habits. Let Marty run a modern offense, and that includes passing on 2nd and 10. If Geno throws an INT it doesn't mean it was a bad play call. This league, the way the rules are, they should be passing as much as possible. Especially trying to come from behind. Since they seem to have stowed the wildcat, I have no fault in the play calls last night.

Just because Mornhinweg calls more running plays, that doesn't mean the Jets are falling back into bad habits.  Often times, the smart move is to take what the D is giving you or stick with what is working until it doesn't.  Mornhinweg will never be a ground and pound guy, but when the WRs are as bad as they are, and if the team is trying to win games, then he needs to run the ball more.  They were not so far behind the Pats that they didn't have time to run the ball, especially with it working.  That doesn't mean they have to run the ball every down and not throw, but imo it's not smart to just keep throwing as much as they have when the WRs keep dropping the passes.  Running trap block running plays, draws and screens is also a good way to slow down the pass rush.

I do not think MM is in full swing yet.  Looks like he is still feeling things out.  The biggest problem so far is a serious lack of rhythm -- hopefully that comes around soon.

I hope you're right.  I think he's used to working with vets more.  IMO he needs to think more about helping Geno out by running the ball more to take some pressure off of him.

There are a lot of people who who do not seem to grasp that the "establishing the run" thing is no longer applicable. The NFL has fundamentally changed since it was standard. Further running up the gut at WIlfork is foolishness. The Jets lost because their receivers dropped balls. It's a passing league.

Not all runs have to go up the gut at Wilfork.  The last time I looked there are a number of holes, two sides of the OL and outside the tackles where runs can go.  The NE game would have been a perfect game to work on running the ball.

What about the fact that Ivory just fumbled? none of you guys even recognize that fact. besides you can't run it down their throats if they know it's coming. the pass sets up the run in this offense. 

it depends how you define ignore. they didn't run alot but they threw screens etc. this offense with Marty isn't perfect but it's world's better than Sparano's crapshow. Probably better than Schotty too.  in 2006 marty morn took over the playcalling and took them to the playoffs with Garcia. I don't think there is such a thing as too much passing in this league with the rules the way they are. Peyton Manning threw 7 TD's on opening night, that's what this league is become. G&P is dead.

C'mon, you're being obtuse and ridiculous.  So Ivory fumbled.  How many fumbles did he have vs how many picks did Geno throw?  Throwing as many passes as the Jets were was not setting up the run,  That has no relation to the reality of the game.

I don't see anyone killing Mornhinweg.  He is DEFINITELY the best OC the Jets have had in a long, LONG time, maybe ever.  He had a short week to prepare, is probably still figuring things out , and may be throwing more than normal now trying to accelerate Geno's learning curve, but hopefully he will adjust.  To both help Geno and the team, imo he needs to run the ball more, as well as take some shots downfield.

I was a little pissed he didn't run it more last night

but

I think he is calling the game for geno like a big boy in the NFL to accelrate his learning curve

and

is the wild cat dead ?  I don't remember seeing it last night

and

no more read option please, lol

If he is, I don't have a problem with that.  Either way, I'm not going to kill him for his playcalling, because the offense looks worlds better than I ever would have expected, and he has Geno playing much better than I thought he would.   I do wish he'd run the ball more.  I was happy to see no wildcat BS.  Why don't you like the read option ?  Do you think it's to blame for Geno's picks?

If he is, I don't have a problem with that.  Either way, I'm not going to kill him for his playcalling, because the offense looks worlds better than I ever would have expected, and he has Geno playing much better than I thought he would.   I do wish he'd run the ball more.  I was happy to see no wildcat BS.  Why don't you like the read option ?  Do you think it's to blame for Geno's picks?

I have seen a LOT more open WR's than I can remember.  Geno isn't seeing them, but that will improve.  I just think the read option is too much for geno right now.  let him learn to run the pass offense, and run for first downs when it is there for now

I think the picks were a mix of poor timing and lack of trust.  

he had belicheat on a short week.  they do 2 game plans the week before a thursday game, but geno just hasn't gotten the reps he needs

I saw mayock on NFL network the week before the opener and he said he liked geno, he has talent, he is just a little raw and needs reps, thats what I've seen

and morningwood is what he is.  eagles fans wanted him to run it more for what, 6 years ?

he is what he is

I hope you're right.  I think he's used to working with vets more.  IMO he needs to think more about helping Geno out by running the ball more to take some pressure off of him.

Agree 100%.  We need more running plays, which I think will help develop rhythm and take pressure off Geno -- plus it should open up some safer options in the passing game by keeping the defense honest.   It can only get better with time, right?  Already, the play calling is a far cry from what we've been used to in recent years.  

Agree 100%.  We need more running plays, which I think will help develop rhythm and take pressure off Geno -- plus it should open up some safer options in the passing game by keeping the defense honest.   It can only get better with time, right?  Already, the play calling is a far cry from what we've been used to in recent years.

Agree 1000000000000000%

Archived