Milliner Adjusting to Checks and Benches

flgreen

Milliner adjusting to checks and benches

September, 16, 2013

Sep 16

7:28

PM ET

By  Jane McManus | ESPN.com

FLORHAM PARK, NJ -- When Dee Milliner was benched on Thursday against the New England Patriots, the person he turned to for advice was Antonio Cromartie. What was the veteran cornerback able to provide the rookie?

“Keep me levelheaded, keep me focused,” Milliner said Monday.

He’s going to need those qualities, because coach Rex Ryan isn’t saying whether he is ready to go back to the Alabama product after a first half of botched reads, including a mistake that led to the first and only New England touchdown on the first series.

“I just want to let this week play out and we’ll put the guy in there that we think gives us the best chance to play well,” Ryan said.

Ryan said he was impressed with how Kyle Wilson responded, and said Darrin Walls “bailed us out.” Milliner said the cornerbacks were rotated in during Monday’s practice, rather than having a specific corner who played with the starters all the way through.

“I’m not worried about it,” Milliner said. “Just going to come in and work every day, still do the same thing I’ve been doing.”

Milliner didn’t shy from acknowledging that the transition from college to the NFL has its challenges.

“Go out there, line up, getting acquainted with all the checks and everything,” Milliner said. “Last week a game with Tom Brady, one of the great quarterbacks, lot of checks and things. He’s going to see, and he knows who’s going to be open so he’s going to check to it and go to it right away. I’ve just got to move faster and be alert.”

“Whatever they decide I’m fine with it,” Milliner said.

As much as it pains me to say, a lot should/could be said about the kind of program Saban runs at Alabama. Milliner doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed yet he's still saying all the right things. Looking around the league it seems like they do a good job preparing their athletes for the NFL.

As much as it pains me to say, a lot should/could be said about the kind of program Saban runs at Alabama. Milliner doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed yet he's still saying all the right things. Looking around the league it seems like they do a good job preparing their athletes for the NFL.

Not for anything but these Bama guys havent exactly been lighting the world on fire in the league.

Milliner adjusting to checks and benches

September, 16, 2013

Sep 16

7:28

PM ET

By  Jane McManus | ESPN.com

FLORHAM PARK, NJ -- When Dee Milliner was benched on Thursday against the New England Patriots, the person he turned to for advice was Antonio Cromartie. What was the veteran cornerback able to provide the rookie?

“Keep me levelheaded, keep me focused,” Milliner said Monday.

He’s going to need those qualities, because coach Rex Ryan isn’t saying whether he is ready to go back to the Alabama product after a first half of botched reads, including a mistake that led to the first and only New England touchdown on the first series.

“I just want to let this week play out and we’ll put the guy in there that we think gives us the best chance to play well,” Ryan said.

Ryan said he was impressed with how Kyle Wilson responded, and said Darrin Walls “bailed us out.” Milliner said the cornerbacks were rotated in during Monday’s practice, rather than having a specific corner who played with the starters all the way through.

“I’m not worried about it,” Milliner said. “Just going to come in and work every day, still do the same thing I’ve been doing.”

Milliner didn’t shy from acknowledging that the transition from college to the NFL has its challenges.

“Go out there, line up, getting acquainted with all the checks and everything,” Milliner said. “Last week a game with Tom Brady, one of the great quarterbacks, lot of checks and things. He’s going to see, and he knows who’s going to be open so he’s going to check to it and go to it right away. I’ve just got to move faster and be alert.”

“Whatever they decide I’m fine with it,” Milliner said.

The bold comments care me.

You got benched - the last thing you should be doing is saying you'll just keep doing what you've been doing. I know it's just reacting to him trying to say generic things to the press, but wouldn't you think the mentality "I've got to get better" should exist in this scenario? Not, I'm just going to keep on keepin' on?

The indifference bothers me too - whatever? How about "I won't stop until I work my way back into the lineup"?

The bold comments care me.

You got benched - the last thing you should be doing is saying you'll just keep doing what you've been doing. I know it's just reacting to him trying to say generic things to the press, but wouldn't you think the mentality "I've got to get better" should exist in this scenario? Not, I'm just going to keep on keepin' on?

The indifference bothers me too - whatever? How about "I won't stop until I work my way back into the lineup"?

Or he's a "whiny douche who expects the job without the hard work etc etc...". There's nothing to be concerned about. He's either good enough and healthy enough or he isn't.

Er, I guess that would be cause for concern if he just sucks though.

Not for anything but these Bama guys havent exactly been lighting the world on fire in the league.

very true, no real "superstars" but alot of solis starting types...although I'll say Richardson would be if on a better team and is on the right track. Have to wait and see on the three big OL this yr. looking at those big USC teams there's some similarities. Matthews is the only real superstar and he wasnt even that great at USC.

Edit: forgot about Julio Jones though.

Cushing and Bush would be fringe stats from USC.

very true, no real "superstars" but alot of solis starting types...although I'll say Richardson would be if on a better team and is on the right track. Have to wait and see on the three big OL this yr. looking at those big USC teams there's some similarities. Matthews is the only real superstar and he wasnt even that great at USC.

Julio is a superstar.

Richardson, for his draft position, looks pretty "ordinary" like Jim Brown predicted.

You ninja'd me on my edit. Richardson has over 100 yards in two games with like 17 carries and Weeden is the worse QB in the NFL. Can't be too hard on him.

The guy has played basically every snap since he's been there and has a career long run of 32 yards.

He's a good player, but he's not top 5 pick good imo. Lacy was the best of the three I thought....he made the most guys miss at the second level at Bama.

The guy has played basically every snap since he's been there and has a career long run of 32 yards.

He's a good player, but he's not top 5 pick good imo. Lacy was the best of the three I thought....he made the most guys miss at the second level at Bama.

we'll see but I think Richardson is by far the best of the 3. The Browns offense has been deplorable to this point. Not sure I'd blame him. But agree he's not close to any stardom yet.

we'll see but I think Richardson is by far the best of the 3. The Browns offense has been deplorable to this point. Not sure I'd blame him. But agree he's not close to any stardom yet.

Isn't the conventional wisdom that Yeldon will be better than both Lacy and Richardson? I don't like either Lacy or Richardson, btw. Two physical backs who aren't huge; destined for short careers.

Isn't the conventional wisdom that Yeldon will be better than both Lacy and Richardson? I don't like either Lacy or Richardson, btw. Two physical backs who aren't huge; destined for short careers.

Yeldon looks like a wide out. You better be Dickerson or Peterson if you're that tall.

there was no way Miliner was going to be good right away after missing most of camp and hardly playing an exhibtion game. I was surprised they even started him game one after barely practicing and playing. The same with Holmes - can you really come in cold in a regular season game, when the real bullets are flying, and play well after not practicing or playing for a year? With Milliner, it's really throwing him to the wolves, because he's never played an NFL game before. There was no way these guys were going to perform up to par. I thought with all considering, Milliner was decent.

there was no way Miliner was going to be good right away after missing most of camp and hardly playing an exhibtion game. I was surprised they even started him game one after barely practicing and playing. The same with Holmes - can you really come in cold in a regular season game, when the real bullets are flying, and play well after not practicing or playing for a year? With Milliner, it's really throwing him to the wolves, because he's never played an NFL game before. There was no way these guys were going to perform up to par. I thought with all considering, Milliner was decent.

Yeah. It will be interesting to see what they do with him this week.  It seems they benched him more for his inability to pick up the offenses and get in the right position than for any physical difficulties with the position.  You are certainly more like to run into those problems against Brady and the Pats than against the Bucs or Bills. FWIW, I was complaining about him getting his job without earning it and WIlson and Walls both seem fine.  Even if he is "benched" Milliner should get plenty of playing time considering how much Lankster and Trufant are out there.

Archived