Cimini: Jets Facing Must-Win?

flgreen

WTF are you talking about?  Are you really not following?

never mind.  holy sh*t man

YOU said ever media outlet predicted the Jets to finish with 2-4 wins. That was YOU

Then, you get upset when a writer has the audacity to say that this is an important game for the Jets. IT IS!

And, BTW-This writer predicted 6-10 as a final record. DOH!

You take the media far too seriously

YOU said ever media outlet predicted the Jets to finish with 2-4 wins. That was YOU

Then, you get upset when a writer has the audacity to say that this is an important game for the Jets. IT IS!

And, BTW-This writer predicted 6-10 as a final record. DOH!

You take the media far too seriously

Wow...

I'm not upset about anything, sweetheart.  In fact its the exact opposite.  I'm getting a laugh at how the Jets were the worst team in Football and now they're in a must-win situation, in week 3.  Just simply pointing out how silly and fickle the media is because the worst team in Football (or a team destined for 6-10) is never in a must-win situation at any point in the season.  That shouldnt have been that hard for you to grasp.  

Then you had to go and hurt me by revealing I'm still scared of the boogie man to everyone.  

Wow...

I'm not upset about anything, sweetheart.  In fact its the exact opposite.  I'm getting a laugh at how the Jets were the worst team in Football and now they're in a must-win situation, in week 3.  Just simply pointing out how silly and fickle the media is because the worst team in Football (or a team destined for 6-10) is never in a must-win situation at any point in the season.  That shouldnt have been that hard for you to grasp.  

Then you had to go and hurt me by revealing I'm still scared of the boogie man to everyone.  

The media is fickle????? No!!!!!!!

Thank God that we have the Jets and this season to expose this horrible truth.

And now that you called me sweetheart. I take back the boogieman comment.

Most writers, do not make the headlines, editors do that.

If you want to make the "media" out to be the bad guy for why your football team is not very good, have at it. If that makes you sleep better at night.

I will bet the boogie man still scares you too.

um, wut?

I think Dierking just outed himself as Rich Cimini. 

IMO it's important only for Rex's future with the team and if Idzik is really concerned about their final W-L record.  IMO it's much more important that they do whatever it takes to continue the development of Geno, Richardson, Milliner, and the other youngsters.

I also don't know that they should beat Buffalo.  Buffalo has a very good defense.  Their DBs are underrated, and their front 7 may be better than ours.  They have better RBs, WRs, TEs and maybe even a better OL and QB.

IMO, as a fan, the only thing that really matters is the W-L record. 

To say that a team that cost among the highest in the league for a seat to say "we don't care about winning, the only thing that matters is the development of a QB, who may, or may not develop for that mystical season, 5 or 6 years down the road", is total BS .   If they don't care about winning, then they will fall into the same category I  put the Knicks in some years ago.  I don't care anymore about them as a team then they do about me as a fan.   Can't name a single player on their roster.  To me they don't exist.

In today's FA NFL, after a player develops for a number of years, on a bad team, if he's any good, he moves on to a good team, and the most money.

If a team isn't putting the best players on the field, that give them the best chance to win, I'll just go up the street to the park and watch the pee wee league where they don't keep score.  All it cost me is $1 for a hot dog

I expect the Jets,  Rangers, or any other team I root for to try to win.  If they just don't have the players to win.  So  be it.  I just expect them to try by putting the best players on the field.

If you choose to pay outrageous prices to watch not ready for prime time players get tossed around that's your choice.

o

To say that a team that cost among the highest in the league for a seat to say "we don't care about winning, the only thing that matters is the development of a QB, who may, or may not develop for that mystical season, 5 or 6 years down the road", is total BS .   If they don't care about winning, then they will fall into the same category I  put the Knicks in some years ago.  I don't care anymore about them as a team then they do about me as a fan.   Can't name a single player on their roster.  To me they don't exist.

In today's FA NFL, after a player develops for a number of years, on a bad team, if he's any good, he moves on to a good team, and the most money.

If a team isn't putting the best players on the field, that give them the best chance to win, I'll just go up the street to the park and watch the pee wee league where they don't keep score.  All it cost me is $1 for a hot dog

I expect the Jets,  Rangers, or any other team I root for to try to win.  If they just don't have the players to win.  So  be it.  I just expect them to try by putting the best players on the field.

If you choose to pay outrageous prices to watch not ready for prime time players get tossed around that's your choice.

I pretty much agree with this one.   I understand the logic of benefitting from a lousy season, like Indy did two years ago.  Now they seem to have a franchise Qb.

But playing with no real fight, not trying to win each game?  I think that puts a stink on the franchise. It ignores the guys on the team who have talent and want to win.  And as you point out what about the fans who paid for tickets this season?

I just don't think the winning attitude, the desire to win and feeling it in your bones, is something you can turn off and on from year to year.  Plus the Jets' record of draft picks HARDLY makes a high pick a certainty to succeed.  Look how that fifth pick in the draft, the highest the Jets have had since when?, worked out when they picked Sanchez.  Tanny and Rex and Woody were all in on that pick.  (I know they traded up for the fifth pick, but the point still stands.)

Nah, just play to win.

That being the case, right now the Jets have a very competitive D.  I know there's a lot of finger pointing as to who is really at fault for the O sucking.  I think the OL is pretty good, and with Kerley Holmes and Winslow the jets could be competitive at receiver, especially if they get help.  Ivory may still show us something, and there's Powell as at least decent.

No, I am not prepared to say the whole season should be set up as a commitment to a season long audition for Smith or anyone else for that matter.

We obviously disagree on what constitutes a true fan.  I'm willing to sacrifice the short term (one season) for the long term.  I'm not willing to sacrifice the future for one season where the odds are stacked against it anyway.  IMO that's the only smart way to look at it.  I'm interested in having a truly competitive team that has a realistic chance of getting to and winning a SB, not a mediocre team where their chances of getting to and winning a SB are only in the homeristic delusions of their fans.

IMO a fan who only cares about their enjoyment of a team for one season at a time and/or the W/L record, doesn't really care about the team, only what that person wants and/or one's own short-term immediate gratification.  IMO true fans want what's best for their team over the long haul.  If that means sacrificing one season, then so be it.

I'm not advocating that the Jets dog it, lay down, or try not try to win games or play the best they can with the talent they have.  That's one thing.  Trading away future draft picks and cap space for players that will only be one year stop gaps on a team that's almost guaranteed to struggle with so many young starters (especially at QB), is just wasting resources and is foolish.  In order to be truly competitive going forward, the Jets need to find out who can help them, i.e., who are keepers and who are dead wood.  Those that are keepers need to be nurtured and developed.  It would be different if the Jets already had say a Matt Ryan at QB and a realistic shot at going deep into the playoffs.  They don't.  This is a two-year rebuild.  They've torn down this year and getting the cap cleaned up, and next year is where they will make major roster revisions.  They need all the resources they can get to turn the team around as quickly as possible, so that they don't have to struggle for 2-4 years instead of 1.  If Geno proves that he's their QB of the future this year and the other young draft picks and FAs develop and pan out, then with the FAs and draft picks next season, the team ought to make some serious noise.  If they trade away draft picks and cap resources this year on players that won't be with them next year only to finish 7-9, and then have less resources to next year and worse draft position to try to make the needed changes, that's lacking in any logic or rational thought.

I didn't say I pay those outrageous prices.  I don't.  I don't own season tickets, nor would I even if the team was a lock to win the SB every year.  They're exorbitantly expensive and I cannot afford that for entertainment.  IMO there are much more worthy places to spend or give money than to a professional football team.  I no longer live in the NYC/NJ area.  If I did, I'd go to see 1-2 games a year as I could, as I did during the 16 years I lived in NYC.  That I would do.  Buying all the team gear and PSLs, no.

We obviously disagree on what constitutes a true fan.  I'm willing to sacrifice the short term (one season) for the long term.  I'm not willing to sacrifice the future for one season where the odds are stacked against it anyway.  IMO that's the only smart way to look at it.  I'm interested in having a truly competitive team that has a realistic chance of getting to and winning a SB, not a mediocre team where their chances of getting to and winning a SB are only in the homeristic delusions of their fans.

IMO a fan who only cares about their enjoyment of a team for one season at a time and/or the W/L record, doesn't really care about the team, only what that person wants and/or one's own short-term immediate gratification.  IMO true fans want what's best for their team over the long haul.  If that means sacrificing one season, then so be it.

I'm not advocating that the Jets dog it, lay down, or try not try to win games or play the best they can with the talent they have.  That's one thing.  Trading away future draft picks and cap space for players that will only be one year stop gaps on a team that's almost guaranteed to struggle with so many young starters (especially at QB), is just wasting resources and is foolish.  In order to be truly competitive going forward, the Jets need to find out who can help them, i.e., who are keepers and who are dead wood.  Those that are keepers need to be nurtured and developed.  It would be different if the Jets already had say a Matt Ryan at QB and a realistic shot at going deep into the playoffs.  They don't.  This is a two-year rebuild.  They've torn down this year and getting the cap cleaned up, and next year is where they will make major roster revisions.  They need all the resources they can get to turn the team around as quickly as possible, so that they don't have to struggle for 2-4 years instead of 1.  If Geno proves that he's their QB of the future this year and the other young draft picks and FAs develop and pan out, then with the FAs and draft picks next season, the team ought to make some serious noise.  If they trade away draft picks and cap resources this year on players that won't be with them next year only to finish 7-9, and then have less resources to next year and worse draft position to try to make the needed changes, that's lacking in any logic or rational thought.

I didn't say I pay those outrageous prices.  I don't.  I don't own season tickets, nor would I even if the team was a lock to win the SB every year.  They're exorbitantly expensive and I cannot afford that for entertainment.  IMO there are much more worthy places to spend or give money than to a professional football team.  I no longer live in the NYC/NJ area.  If I did, I'd go to see 1-2 games a year as I could, as I did during the 16 years I lived in NYC.  That I would do.  Buying all the team gear and PSLs, no.

Soon as you started your "True fan" crap again I stopped reading.

Green Day: Jets facing must-win?

September, 17, 2013

Sep 17

6:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

There's no such thing as a must-win in September, but this one comes darn close -- the Jets (1-1) hosting the Bills (1-1) Sunday at MetLife Stadium. The Jets need it, badly, coming off a tough loss to the Patriots.

Aside from the obvious impact on the AFC East standings -- loser owns the basement -- it's huge for the Jets because of the various circumstances surrounding the game. It's a battle of the rookie quarterbacks -- Geno Smith vs. EJ Manuel. The Jets passed twice on Manuel in the draft (ditto, Smith), but they had Smith rated higher on their draft board. Now he gets a chance to validate that faith.

It's also teacher vs. pupil, Rex Ryan facing former Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who holds the same position with the Bills. It would be embarrassing for the Jets if Pettine, using what he learned from Ryan, handles Smith better than his mentor does with Manuel.

Plus, it's a division game. You can't lose division games at home. The Jets have owned the rivalry in recent years, having won six of the last seven (they lost the 2012 season finale), but you get the sense there's a new energy in Buffalo under rookie coach Doug Marrone.

ICYMI: Positive news on the injury front: DE Muhammad Wilkerson (sprained ankle), WR Jeremy Kerley (concussion) and LB Quinton Coples (fractured ankle) were on the practice field Monday, participating to varying degrees. Did the Jets miss Kerley or what? ... Smith is finding out what it's like to be involved in a quarterback controversy. On Monday, he was grilled with questions about his week-to-week status, about Mark Sanchez's claim that he had the competition locked up before his injury and about new rumblings that Matt Simms could be a factor. Hmm, interesting timing on the Simms stuff, wouldn't you say?

September, 17, 2013

Sep 17

AM ET

There's no such thing as a must-win in September, but this one comes darn close -- the Jets (1-1) hosting the Bills (1-1) Sunday at MetLife Stadium. The Jets need it, badly, coming off a tough loss to the Patriots.

Aside from the obvious impact on the AFC East standings -- loser owns the basement -- it's huge for the Jets because of the various circumstances surrounding the game. It's a battle of the rookie quarterbacks -- Geno Smith vs. EJ Manuel. The Jets passed twice on Manuel in the draft (ditto, Smith), but they had Smith rated higher on their draft board. Now he gets a chance to validate that faith.

It's also teacher vs. pupil, Rex Ryan facing former Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who holds the same position with the Bills. It would be embarrassing for the Jets if Pettine, using what he learned from Ryan, handles Smith better than his mentor does with Manuel.

Plus, it's a division game. You can't lose division games at home. The Jets have owned the rivalry in recent years, having won six of the last seven (they lost the 2012 season finale), but you get the sense there's a new energy in Buffalo under rookie coach Doug Marrone.

ICYMI: Positive news on the injury front: DE Muhammad Wilkerson (sprained ankle), WR Jeremy Kerley (concussion) and LB Quinton Coples (fractured ankle) were on the practice field Monday, participating to varying degrees. Did the Jets miss Kerley or what? ... Smith is finding out what it's like to be involved in a quarterback controversy. On Monday, he was grilled with questions about his week-to-week status, about Mark Sanchez's claim that he had the competition locked up before his injury and about new rumblings that Matt Simms could be a factor. Hmm, interesting timing on the Simms stuff, wouldn't you say?

September, 17, 2013

Sep 17

AM ET

Hahahahahaha!!!  What a buffoon!  Out of ideas, Chimney?  Write about the weather.

Soon as you started your "True fan" crap again I stopped reading.

Fine.  YOU'RE the one who brought up about being a fan, not me.  You didn't expressly use the term "true" but imo it was implied.  If that was not your intent, then I apologize, but it seemed to me as if it were.  If it makes you feel better, remove every "true".

Archived