In Last Five Years: Coughlin and Rex Have Identical Record 36-31

Lizard King

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already said, I would hate to lose him at PSU.

Listen, I am not like CrazyCarl or Klacko, who feel the need to ballwash any incumbent.

I think O'Brien is a good coach and Im sure he'll get his shot. But I'm willing to give Rex this season and make a judgement.

Going forward Woody's going to want to know- can you maintain this type of defense AND can you get the offense playing at a high level. If both of those arent sold, Rex isnt leaving.

So, you think running a college program successfully automatically translates into success in the NFL?

There are pieces of it that are very similar.

We would not be asking him to run the program here, we have Idzik for that.

We are asking someone to coach a team, which O'Brien can do, particularly at an offensive level, with great acumen. He coaches up layers to exceed their talent levels. It is happening at PDSU, and it happened with the Patriots.

That said, I doubt O'Brien wants to coach in the same division as BB.

this is the problem with all of you guys jockeying to get Rex fired: 

the only people who would take this job, don't have choices.

a so called good head coach like Bill Cowher for example wouldn't be caught dead coaching the Jets. At least not until Brady retires and they get a real FQB. 

not to mention the high cost of living (taxes) a dubious owner, the media firestorm, and oh yeah being compared to the original NFL Giants at every turn. It's not that sweet of a job. 

Guys like Herm and Mangini, first time HC's would love to coach in NY. Or anywhere really. Guys who have resumes and choices will use the Jets as leverage and then take a "better" job. PRobably a job in florida where the tax burden is easy and they can remain in SEC country. 

We are asking someone to coach a team, which O'Brien can do, particularly at an offensive level, with great acumen. He coaches up layers to exceed their talent levels. It is happening at PDSU, and it happened with the Patriots.

He inherited a ready made offense with a hall of famer in New England. That offense was great long before anyone there ever heard of Bill O'Brien. 

That's like claiming a lottery winner is a business genius. 

That's not true. Latest example is dickhead down at Tampa Bay, but I can guarantee there are others who flopped making the TRUE jump from college to the pros. I was going back and forth with the Star Ledger a couple weeks ago, and did research, and the successful college coaches had prior experience working in the NFL at some point. Notable exceptions: Jimmy Johnson, Tom Landry (Jimmy's coattails?)

this is the problem with all of you guys jockeying to get Rex fired: 

the only people who would take this job, don't have choices.

a so called good head coach like Bill Cowher for example wouldn't be caught dead coaching the Jets. At least not until Brady retires and they get a real FQB. 

not to mention the high cost of living (taxes) a dubious owner, the media firestorm, and oh yeah being compared to the original NFL Giants at every turn. It's not that sweet of a job. 

Guys like Herm and Mangini, first time HC's would love to coach in NY. Or anywhere really. Guys who have resumes and choices will use the Jets as leverage and then take a "better" job. PRobably a job in florida where the tax burden is easy and they can remain in SEC country. 

Bill Cowher is an overrated POS. 

That's not true. Latest example is dickhead down at Tampa Bay, but I can guarantee there are others who flopped making the TRUE jump from college to the pros. I was going back and forth with the Star Ledger a couple weeks ago, and did research, and the successful college coaches had prior experience working in the NFL at some point. Notable exceptions: Jimmy Johnson, Tom Landry (Jimmy's coattails?)

Most of the guys from the Belichick tree come running back with their tails between their legs. They realize that schtick doesnt work without Tom Brady.

The Lou Holtz experiment was awesome. :hand:

If the Jets continue to play good defense, the offense can move the ball combined with drafting self motivated players....I dont think there's any reason to change for the sake of it.

We have a chance to win every week with Rex imo. 

What happened to the guy who pissed me off so badly last week with his negativity I wanted to punch him in the face? lol

(And yes, I have calmed down since then)

O'Brien has the prior experience in teh NFL

PSU had a small problem a couple years ago and lost a lot of guys. Recruiting talent again should make any team look better.

They went from G-d awful to serviceable.

Nothing that makes you want to jump on the Bill O'Brien bandwagon. 

If there is a college coach I would consider it would be Brian Kelly but I'm an ND fan who thinks Kelly in the NFL is a disaster waiting to happen, 

They went from G-d awful to serviceable.

Nothing that makes you want to jump on the Bill O'Brien bandwagon. 

If there is a college coach I would consider it would be Brian Kelly but I'm an ND fan who thinks Kelly in the NFL is a disaster waiting to happen, 

Absolutely not.

If the Jets continue to play good defense, the offense can move the ball combined with drafting self motivated players....I dont think there's any reason to change for the sake of it.

We have a chance to win every week with Rex imo. 

No doubt about it, the Jets enter every single game with an advantage on the defensive side of the ball with Rex Ryan.  He's the one guy in the NFL that has proved he can pretty much shut down any QB in the league. 

PSU had a small problem a couple years ago and lost a lot of guys. Recruiting talent again should make any team look better.

You are not familiar with the situation then.

the players they lost, were from last year's squad. And they didn't actually lose a whole lot, because O'Brien and the Seniors kept it together. They did lose some recruits.

All of those things would have made it MORE difficult to coach last year-PSU had a very good year. 

And even with the sanctions-they are a top 25 recruiting school still.

Coincidentally, sanctions were lessened, just today.

You are not familiar with the situation then.

the players they lost, were from last year's squad. And they didn't actually lose a whole lot, because O'Brien and the Seniors kept it together. They did lose some recruits.

All of those things would have made it MORE difficult to coach last year-PSU had a very good year. 

And even with the sanctions-they are a top 25 recruiting school still.

Coincidentally, sanctions were lessened, just today.

That's a shame

PSU was the first NCAA team I was a fan of, after what happened they should have been suspended from all NCAA sports for at least 5 years

That's a shame

PSU was the first NCAA team I was a fan of, after what happened they should have been suspended from all NCAA sports for at least 5 years

No sense in moving back for that argument.

PSU has complied with what has been asked of it. For that they are rewarded with lessened sanctions. Many say, that what they received was WORSE than the death penalty.

The NCAA (Emmert) also took an opportunity to flex muscle and take advantage of a situation. 

Archived