Calm down.

Jettington

Milliner fell for a reason. The Jets seemingly had him ranked higher based off of perception. They were targeting Hayden without the expectation of Milliner falling.

Milliner fell from as high as 2 to 9 because of his injury situation. Hayden was projected as a 2nd-3rd rounder because of his medical thing, IIRC. It's not fair to kill the Jets for not spending 9 or 13 on a dude that almost died.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not only does Milliner have the lateral agility, he's as good an athlete as Cro (or how Cro used to be before this year)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQ81bZV7TY

it should be noted that Cro's decline is worse for this year's team than Milliner's rough rookie year. Cro is expected to do alot more for this team and he's playing just as bad as Dee. Really they are both pitiful.

As for Milliner he's an interesting case. I hesitate to weigh in on this rookie as anytime I express hope for a Jets busting player he becomes my responsibility. Like I picked Drob and Gholston personally.

But i will do it anyway. Milliner is having a rough rookie campaign and is playing about as well as the 2nd round QB. He's being asked alot to be on an island in Rex's D. He's had some debacle mistakes, in fact it happens basically every time he plays. He gets targeted. And he does actually do some decent things but he doesn't get any credit for that.

Both Geno and Milliner have to get much better next year for this team to succeed. Btw before people bash me for comparing the two, Geno is the 29th rated QB in the league and 3rd in Interceptions. 2nd in total turnovers to Eli. Neither guy is setting the league on fire, people are bullish on Geno cause they want to be not cause he's actually playing well.

Believe it or not I have hope for both players but I don't know how much reps in the near term help their overall skills or their futures.

Your missing the eye test where you can at least see Geno's potential. Have yet to see Milliner make a play on the ball. Actually maybe once.

Milliner fell from as high as 2 to 9 because of his injury situation. Hayden was projected as a 2nd-3rd rounder because of his medical thing, IIRC. It's not fair to kill the Jets for not spending 9 or 13 on a dude that almost died.

He would have been the pick if Dee didnt drop. Not buying the injury thing...go back and watch Bama games....Milliner making plays on Shoelace Robinson passes are throwaways.

Could be worse I guess...we could have drafted Dion Jordan.

not only does Milliner have the lateral agility, he's as good an athlete as Cro (or how Cro used to be before this year)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQ81bZV7TY

it should be noted that Cro's decline is worse for this year's team than Milliner's rough rookie year. Cro is expected to do alot more for this team and he's playing just as bad as Dee. Really they are both pitiful.

As for Milliner he's an interesting case. I hesitate to weigh in on this rookie as anytime I express hope for a Jets busting player he becomes my responsibility. Like I picked Drob and Gholston personally.

But i will do it anyway. Milliner is having a rough rookie campaign and is playing about as well as the 2nd round QB. He's being asked alot to be on an island in Rex's D. He's had some debacle mistakes, in fact it happens basically every time he plays. He gets targeted. And he does actually do some decent things but he doesn't get any credit for that.

Both Geno and Milliner have to get much better next year for this team to succeed. Btw before people bash me for comparing the two, Geno is the 29th rated QB in the league and 3rd in Interceptions. 2nd in total turnovers to Eli. Neither guy is setting the league on fire, people are bullish on Geno cause they want to be not cause he's actually playing well.

Believe it or not I have hope for both players but I don't know how much reps in the near term help their overall skills or their futures.

Mo Wilkerson was just talking about the corners and he said something to the effect that they're not being physical at the LOS this year, which obviously wasn't the case in past years, which makes me think Rex has switched up the philosophy as a concession to losing Revis. Literally every corner on the Jets is having an awful season and every decent QB (other than Brady) is killing them. I'm thinking there's a scheme issue.

He would have been the pick if Dee didnt drop. Not buying the injury thing...go back and watch Bama games....Milliner making plays on Shoelace Robinson passes are throwaways.

Could be worse I guess...we could have drafted Dion Jordan.

Honestly, I think there's only one human on the planet who knows what the pick would have been, and that's Idzik. Hayden is a hindsight is 20/20 deal.

Honestly, I think there's only one human on the planet who knows what the pick would have been, and that's Idzik. Hayden is a hindsight is 20/20 deal.

strictly from a man coverage standpoint...Hayden was the better prospect. If the pick were Hayden though...that would have 100% been a Rex pick.

Mo Wilkerson was just talking about the corners and he said something to the effect that they're not being physical at the LOS this year, which obviously wasn't the case in past years, which makes me think Rex has switched up the philosophy as a concession to losing Revis. Literally every corner on the Jets is having an awful season and every decent QB (other than Brady) is killing them. I'm thinking there's a scheme issue.

See? He CAN adapt and change.

Bet you're embarrassed now, huh?

You blockhead.

strictly from a man coverage standpoint...Hayden was the better prospect. If the pick were Hayden though...that would have 100% been a Rex pick.

No. Milliner played exclusively man coverage in college and was widely regarded as the best at it. The only problem is that at Bama he played off-man with little experience at press-man, which is what he's struggling at. Hayden has struggled mightily this year as well and seeing how corner is such a difficult position to adjust to, I'm thinking we should wait more than a half dozen games on a kid who missed all of camp. He's insanely athletic and a good football player, you don't give up on that after a bad couple of games.

No. Milliner played exclusively man coverage in college and was widely regarded as the best at it. The only problem is that at Bama he played off-man with little experience at press-man, which is what he's struggling at. Hayden has struggled mightily this year as well and seeing how corner is such a difficult position to adjust to, I'm thinking we should wait more than a half dozen games on a kid who missed all of camp. He's insanely athletic and a good football player, you don't give up on that after a bad couple of games.

Watching them both enough I thought Hayden was the better man to man corner and the better fit for Rex's defense. Hayden isnt struggling mightily either. Milliner is though.

I have no team in college football. You overrate Bama guys like Carl does with ND guys. 

Watching them both enough I thought Hayden was the better man to man corner and the better fit for Rex's defense. Hayden isnt struggling mightily either. Milliner is though.

I have no team in college football. You overrate Bama guys like Carl does with ND guys. 

Right, I'm sure you caught a ton of Houston games last year. And yes, Hayden is certainly struggling. He's had a burn rate of 61%+ and at one point gave up 16 completions on 26 targets for 178 yards, with 52 of those yards coming after the catch.  He finally had a positive coverage grade against the chargers, but that was after an absolutely abysmal game against Denver where he graded out beyond poorly in addition to six missed tackles. Not to mention he let up the go-ahead touch-down to Washington on a five-yard slant. And the number one thing that he's struggle against, and admittedly so, is bump and run coverage, the one thing you're touting him for and feel as though he'd be excelling so much moreso than Milliner. 

The bottom line is that he's being allowed to take his knocks, he's not being targeted opposite a Cromartie and the weak link of a good defense. That's not even mentioning the fact that he was coming in solely on nickel situations and bumping Tracy Porter to the slot. People aren't up in arms if he fails, because the raiders don't have any expectations for their season. Milliner is a world-class athlete and a very good football player, judging him based on a handful of games is foolish. The real kicker is saying how if we wanted to play press-man and succeed, we should have drafted the kid who's struggling just as much.  You might as well have said Trufant should have been our pick, the rookie CB who's actually having the best season. 

Right, I'm sure you caught a ton of Houston games last year. And yes, Hayden is certainly struggling. He's had a burn rate of 61%+ and at one point gave up 16 completions on 26 targets for 178 yards, with 52 of those yards coming after the catch. He finally had a positive coverage grade against the chargers, but that was after an absolutely abysmal game against Denver where he graded out beyond poorly in addition to six missed tackles. Not to mention he let up the go-ahead touch-down to Washington on a five-yard slant. And the number one thing that he's struggle against, and admittedly so, is bump and run coverage, the one thing you're touting him for and feel as though he'd be excelling so much moreso than Milliner.

The bottom line is that he's being allowed to take his knocks, he's not being targeted opposite a Cromartie and the weak link of a good defense. That's not even mentioning the fact that he was coming in solely on nickel situations and bumping Tracy Porter to the slot. People aren't up in arms if he fails, because the raiders don't have any expectations for their season. Milliner is a world-class athlete and a very good football player, judging him based on a handful of games is foolish. The real kicker is saying how if we wanted to play press-man and succeed, we should have drafted the kid who's struggling just as much. You might as well have said Trufant should have been our pick, the rookie CB who's actually having the best season.

Take the SEC bumper sticker off of your forehead please. Watched plenty of Hayden predraft(this stuff is available on YouTube) and to me was clearly the better man cover corner. Hayden's been playing better as the season progresses. Played well against he Chargers and again against the steelers.

Milliner can't be on the field right now, that's how bad he's been. Zero awareness, slow out of his breaks, just bad. Let's pump th brakes on world class athlete. Patrick Peterson is a world class athlete. These Bama defensive players have been meh in the pros ad the CB's coming out of Sabans program have been downright awful.

More times than not you know early who can play and who can't. No one cares you played in the SEC once you start playing on Sundays.

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/1/13/2704224/patrick-petersons-coverage-stats-shocking-and-not-in-a-good-way

Take the SEC bumper sticker off of your forehead please. Watched plenty of Hayden predraft(this stuff is available on YouTube) and to me was clearly the better man cover corner. Hayden's been playing better as the season progresses. Played well against he Chargers and again against the steelers.

Milliner can't be on the field right now, that's how bad he's been. Zero awareness, slow out of his breaks, just bad. Let's pump th brakes on world class athlete. Patrick Peterson is a world class athlete. These Bama defensive players have been meh in the pros ad the CB's coming out of Sabans program have been downright awful.

More times than not you know early who can play and who can't. No one cares you played in the SEC once you start playing on Sundays.

Arizona Cardinals fans were treated to a great rookie season by Patrick Peterson. He made the Pro Bowl and the All-Pro first team -- as a returner. As a cornerback, his season can be characterized as a struggle overall. Yes, we can see that he saw great improvement and was even considered by Cincinnati Bengal rookie receiver A.J. Green as the best corner he faced.

However, as Pro Football Focus found in their coverage stats showing the best and worst, Peterson fared among the worst statistically. Let's take a look.

Peterson was picked on a lot by opposing quarterbacks. Only four other corners were thrown at more. He was targeted 113 times and allowed 67 catches, the third highest total in the league. That converts to an almost 60 percent completion against rate. The completion rate isn't near the worst, but it is definitely below average.

Another stat to note is that Peterson also allowed the third most yards in coverage. He allowed 869 yards.

On the bright side, he was not among he worst in everything. His QB rating against was right around average. When throwing at PP, their rating was 85.0. The very best rating was a paltry 45.6 (Darrelle Revis) and the worst was 129.9 (Quentin Jammer).

He was also penalized 10 times.

Now, if you look at his game logs, you will see inconsistency. There were four games in which he gave more than 90 yards. They were Week 1, 4, 11 and 13. Then there was Week 16 against the Bengals when he was only thrown at twice and did not give up a catch.

If by simply watching him over the year, you will noticed this -- after the first few weeks, when he was asked to cover down the field, he did well. He stayed hip-to-hip with the opponents' top receivers. It was underneath he had issues with tackling and spacing.

The good thing is that he showed flashed of becoming a very good cornerback. A full offseason with OTAs and minicamp will do him a lot of good.

Hopefully next year he isn't showing up in these stats again.

Archived