I like Geno

DRJETS

Yesterday was a bad game but there was still positive.  He completed 66% of his passes with zero running game.  The first INT was all on Kerley.  He directed his defender toward the intended target which was Nelson.  Had Kerley not run a bad route that was an easy completion.  Bad route, poor awareness by WR has plague this team for over the last two years. The second INT was all on Geno as he tried to force the ball to Nelson.  He had Powell open in the flat with 30 yards to run.  He will get it eventually.  For the year Geno is close to 60% completion, so in that regard, completion % will not be a problem.  He needs at times, to make better decision with the ball.  So far, I feel great with Geno's progress.   Hopefully, the final 8 games, he will corrects the mistake of the first 8.  

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His progress in some areas (footwork especially) has been impressive. He generally seems to make decent decisions; a lot of the picks have been poor throws rather than poor reads. He's a good downfield thrower--even after this week, he's still 12th in the league in YPA. The turnovers have to stop though.

I do too but you know starting this thread is going to just be a headache right?

Bit and the rest of the gang will be here any minute and it will turn into every other thread on this board.

I know that there are many fans here that can't wait for Geno to fail.   

His progress in some areas (footwork especially) has been impressive. He generally seems to make decent decisions; a lot of the picks have been poor throws rather than poor reads. He's a good downfield thrower--even after this week, he's still 12th in the league in YPA. The turnovers have to stop though.

They definitely do. I think this is where you can judge him a little better in game 13 14 15 and 16. If he is still doing the same thing....its not over but its not a great sign at all.

Watching some plays again...the first int was miscommunication. Second INT Nelson gave zero effort coming back to the football.

Agreed.  It was kind of similar to the week before...probably wasnt the right throw...but Nelson didnt do him any favors.  The first one was all on Kerley, you could see it both their faces and Kerley wasnt arguing.

I like enough of what I've seen from Geno to let him finish out the season...but I'm not passing on a QB that I think could be franchise worthy from what I've seen so far.  Still a lot of Football left though.

Agreed.  It was kind of similar to the week before...probably wasnt the right throw...but Nelson didnt do him any favors.  The first one was all on Kerley, you could see it both their faces and Kerley wasnt arguing.

I like enough of what I've seen from Geno to let him finish out the season...but I'm not passing on a QB that I think could be franchise worthy from what I've seen so far.  Still a lot of Football left though.

Probably wouldnt go QB first round. I like Geno enough to not target a QB early, or trade up. You cant expect him to sling it all over the field with Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson as his top targets. He doesnt have the benefit of Damien Woody, Alan Faneca and Brandon Moore either.

Yesterday was a bad game but there was still positive.  He completed 66% of his passes with zero running game.  The first INT was all on Kerley.  He directed his defender toward the intended target which was Nelson.  Had Kerley not run a bad route that was an easy completion.  Bad route, poor awareness by WR has plague this team for over the last two years. The second INT was all on Geno as he tried to force the ball to Nelson.  He had Powell open in the flat with 30 yards to run.  He will get it eventually.  For the year Geno is close to 60% completion, so in that regard, completion % will not be a problem.  He needs at times, to make better decision with the ball.  So far, I feel great with Geno's progress.   Hopefully, the final 8 games, he will corrects the mistake of the first 8.  

Agreed. The thing that I notice after the second pick was that it was the second interception in going to Nelson; I'd have to see them again to really make a judgement, but it looks as though Nelson is sitting in his target and making no effort in coming back to the ball.  Not that it's an excuse, but sometimes you've got to throw a guy open and your receiver needs to help you out. 

The things that I've liked the most about Geno is that you can actually see the things he's developing on. His footwork is better, the games after he fumbled the ball you can see him tuck it and protect it better (which as lead to zero fumbles), after he was intercepted trying to throw the ball away, you now see his throwaways sail out of bounds by 10-15 yards. He seems extremely coach-able and when he's set, his arm strength is a definite plus, he can make all of throws and then some that other QBs simply cannot. I like the fact that his most recent interceptions aren't simply because he chucked it into triple coverage or was an errant throw, but more a miscommunication with his receiver and trust his 6'5 receiver to be able to out-body a tinier dback. His blitz pickup recognition is something that comes with time, I happen to like his fundamentals and general tools. Assuming he doesn't tank the second half of the season, I believe we found someone to go forward with.

Probably wouldnt go QB first round. I like Geno enough to not target a QB early, or trade up. You cant expect him to sling it all over the field with Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson as his top targets. He doesnt have the benefit of Damien Woody, Alan Faneca and Brandon Moore either.

I gotta agree with Matt on this as far as going QB in round one. Unless the 15-20 teams drafting ahead of us all stroke-out or Bridgewater turns out to be the anti-christ, he's not going to fall to us. After him, does anyone really expect Boyd, Hundley, Mariota or Manziel to fair any better? I happen to dislike this QB class quite a bit(because I do not like the new style of QBs) and think drafting one in the first would be a mistake. Now, if one falls to us in the 2nd or 3rd that we feel can compete with Geno, then sure, but we need to keep drafting BPA and fill this team with talent. If Idzik has any inclination that BPA will be on the defensive side of the ball, then he needs to address our offense in the off-season, because that's  on him now, no pushing the blame to anyone else.

Watching some plays again...the first int was miscommunication. Second INT Nelson gave zero effort coming back to the football.

The first one was not a miscomunication, IT WAS ALL ON KERLEY.  You just dont take your defender to the intended target.  The ball was going to hit Nelson right on target but the guy that was covering Kerley took it away.  I remember last year against Pittsburgh, Cumberland took his guy to the intended target for another easy int.  Over the last few years this team has been plague by poor running route and poor awareness on the field.  The hot receiver

doesn't makes any adjustment when the QB is being blitzed. They continue to run the original route without even looking back at the QB.

The first one was not a miscomunication, IT WAS ALL ON KERLEY.  You just dont take your defender to the intended target.  The ball was going to hit Nelson right on target but the guy that was covering Kerley took it away.  I remember last year against Pittsburgh, Cumberland took his guy to the intended target for another easy int.  Over the last few years this team has been plague by poor running route and poor awareness on the field.  The hot receiver

doesn't makes any adjustment when the QB is being blitzed. They continue to run the original route without even looking back at the QB.

Yeah I remember exactly the Cumberland play you're referring to from last year.

It was definitely on Kerley and Geno was a man and shouldered the blame as all good QBs should. This has definitely been a problem for the Jets in the past, bu I'm willing to let it slide on this one, mostly because Kerley usually seems on top of his game and is probably the best route-runner on the team. F*ck-ups happen, but when your best players start doing it, it can get ugly early.  Hopefully everyone has a bad taste in their mouth and they bring it next week. You never want to go into the bye with a loss. 

Agreed. The thing that I notice after the second pick was that it was the second interception in going to Nelson; I'd have to see them again to really make a judgement, but it looks as though Nelson is sitting in his target and making no effort in coming back to the ball.  Not that it's an excuse, but sometimes you've got to throw a guy open and your receiver needs to help you out. 

The things that I've liked the most about Geno is that you can actually see the things he's developing on. His footwork is better, the games after he fumbled the ball you can see him tuck it and protect it better (which as lead to zero fumbles), after he was intercepted trying to throw the ball away, you now see his throwaways sail out of bounds by 10-15 yards. He seems extremely coach-able and when he's set, his arm strength is a definite plus, he can make all of throws and then some that other QBs simply cannot. I like the fact that his most recent interceptions aren't simply because he chucked it into triple coverage or was an errant throw, but more a miscommunication with his receiver and trust his 6'5 receiver to be able to out-body a tinier dback. His blitz pickup recognition is something that comes with time, I happen to like his fundamentals and general tools. Assuming he doesn't tank the second half of the season, I believe we found someone to go forward with.

+5

I gotta agree with Matt on this as far as going QB in round one. Unless the 15-20 teams drafting ahead of us all stroke-out or Bridgewater turns out to be the anti-christ, he's not going to fall to us. After him, does anyone really expect Boyd, Hundley, Mariota or Manziel to fair any better? I happen to dislike this QB class quite a bit(because I do not like the new style of QBs) and think drafting one in the first would be a mistake. Now, if one falls to us in the 2nd or 3rd that we feel can compete with Geno, then sure, but we need to keep drafting BPA and fill this team with talent. If Idzik has any inclination that BPA will be on the defensive side of the ball, then he needs to address our offense in the off-season, because that's  on him now, no pushing the blame to anyone else.

I made that statement under the assumption they werent going to be into position to draft the top rated QB prospect/s.

But if there is someone in round 2 that you're equally as high on as you were Geno the season before, you pull the trigger.  Its not a bad problem to have if they are both turn out.  

I made that statement under the assumption they werent going to be into position to draft the top rated QB prospect/s.

But if there is someone in round 2 that you're equally as high on as you were Geno the season before, you pull the trigger.  Its not a bad problem to have if they are both turn out.  

There will be guys there. If Geno can fall to the 2nd so can Teddy. Still think Clowney goes #1 overall. 

There will be guys there. If Geno can fall to the 2nd so can Teddy. Still think Clowney goes #1 overall. 

Ofcourse there will be guys there and I wouldnt necessarily be targeting that position...more so, just stick to your board approach.  If QB is the  #1 player on your list and you like him as much as you liked Geno...there is nothing that would stop me from pulling the trigger...even if Geno finishes out strong.  He'd have to turn into Russell Wilson over the 2nd half of the schedule for me to completely dismiss a QB in that scenario.

Agreed. I just used it more of a jumping off point to express my general distaste for the QB crop this year, outside of Teddy of course.  I don't particularly care for the new read-option type QBs and after Teddy, that's what comprises 90% of the top QBs with Mariota, Manziel and Boyd and possibly Hundley if you look at him like that. As you said though, if someone on our board falls they should grab them, assuming Geno doesn't blow us all away in the next 8 games.  Our roster is so talent depleted that we should continue to draft BPA, regardless of position and Idzik should know this and go into free-agency looking to shore up certain positions so that we aren't caught reaching for players. We're too talent-barren to be reaching for WRs and TEs if they aren't BPA. It's going to be a busy off-season for our GM and FO.

Agreed. I just used it more of a jumping off point to express my general distaste for the QB crop this year, outside of Teddy of course.  I don't particularly care for the new read-option type QBs and after Teddy, that's what comprises 90% of the top QBs with Mariota, Manziel and Boyd and possibly Hundley if you look at him like that. As you said though, if someone on our board falls they should grab them, assuming Geno doesn't blow us all away in the next 8 games.  Our roster is so talent depleted that we should continue to draft BPA, regardless of position and Idzik should know this and go into free-agency looking to shore up certain positions so that we aren't caught reaching for players. We're too talent-barren to be reaching for WRs and TEs if they aren't BPA. It's going to be a busy off-season for our GM and FO.

Yes...this is more so my point.  As I stated above.  Stick with BAP, if BAP is QB...pull the trigger unless Geno goes Wilson the rest of the way.

The thing for Jets fans to hang their hat on, regardless of how you feel about the HC, there is a foundation here to work off.  The Jets are the 7th youngest team in the league and do have some solid foundation pieces to build on with a ton of picks and a ton of cap space.  The 2014 NY Jets should be significantly better. 

BPA is great in theory, except when that guy isnt the best player available. I think that strategy is equally as straining as reaching for need. 

+100   :sign0098:

I gotta agree with Matt on this as far as going QB in round one. Unless the 15-20 teams drafting ahead of us all stroke-out or Bridgewater turns out to be the anti-christ, he's not going to fall to us. After him, does anyone really expect Boyd, Hundley, Mariota or Manziel to fair any better? I happen to dislike this QB class quite a bit(because I do not like the new style of QBs) and think drafting one in the first would be a mistake. Now, if one falls to us in the 2nd or 3rd that we feel can compete with Geno, then sure, but we need to keep drafting BPA and fill this team with talent. If Idzik has any inclination that BPA will be on the defensive side of the ball, then he needs to address our offense in the off-season, because that's on him now, no pushing the blame to anyone else.

I don't know how anyone who's watching what's happening to these running QBs this season will think it's a good idea to invest highly in one moving forward. RGIII is a shadow of what he was, Kaepernick has been figured out, Vick is a corpse, and even Russell Wilson has been slowed down considerably. Who's taking a chance on Mariota or Manziel breaking a trend?

I don't know how anyone who's watching what's happening to these running QBs this season will think it's a good idea to invest highly in one moving forward. RGIII is a shadow of what he was, Kaepernick has been figured out, Vick is a corpse, and even Russell Wilson has been slowed down considerably. Who's taking a chance on Mariota or Manziel breaking a trend?

kap is good

wilson is really good

vick is old

+2. I see some good things and some bad things. So if we have a chance to get someone either through the draft or free agent veteran to solidify the position go for it Idzik

yep.  As much as I like Geno's potential, Idzik shouldn't rest on his laurels and "hope" Geno develops.  He needs to get another one to compete with and push, or maybe supplant Geno.  He shouldn't stop drafting QBs until he has found the answer.

Don't look now but Kaepernick is starting to roll.

While that's true, and reaching is never good, there are other ways to draft a WR or TE without "reaching."  They can trade up or down.  Often times at a particular spot in the draft, there may be 5-10 players who all grade out about the same.  The only difference then is importance of position or team need.  That isn't reaching.  If Idzik doesn't acquire at least 1 new WR who can be a go to target for Geno (at least potentially), then he'll pretty much have failed the offseason.  He can't just stick to BAP and say that there wasn't one available at their pick.  That's just a lame excuse, imo.

Wilson and Kap werent 1st round picks and I bet there are a dozen teams who wish they invested "high" in those 2 players.  

Archived