Jets' Players Want Rex Extended

flgreen

Idzik won't waste the $50 million in cap space. And if we finally have a real QB to build around, that's the best news of it all for our future. Oh, and we went 11-5 and had one of the most fun seasons in Jet history that year so.....

And then what happened?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waiting for the Darrel Bevell people to come out of the woodwork, don't quite know he would be a more qualified or better coach, but he is on the seahawks, that seems to be the only reason people are throwing his name out there, even though he has never fielded a top 10 offense.

Waiting for the Darrel Bevell people to come out of the woodwork, don't quite know he would be a more qualified or better coach, but he is on the seahawks, that seems to be the only reason people are throwing his name out there, even though he has never fielded a top 10 offense.

He's Brian Schottenheimer, minus the household last name.

But Tom thinks we should emulate the Bears' front office, because they've been a model franchise the last 20 years. 

Remember when Rex was the line coach for that great Ravens team? Remember when he was the defensive coordinator for the 24th-ranked Ravens defense?

Firing a coach every 5 years or so has been our mantra.  For once why can't we have a little patience?

These are the same people that say we should be more like the Steelers.  You know, the franchise that changes coaches once every generation.

Define "patience."

I think now that we have adults in the room at GM and OC, Rex is able to simply do the things he's good at.  He's good at making his players like him and want to compete hard for him.  He's good at being hands-on with the defense. 

He won't have to worry about a GM constantly leaning on him for advice on who to draft or sign, as things seemed to be under Tannenbaum.  Idzik will shop for the groceries, and already he seems adept at that job.  Marty can run the offense, and hopefully he'll be here for a while to do that. 

I think this group, Idzik-Rex-Marty-Geno, are capable of being a great group to run the show.  I want to see how the team does under that foursome for a few years before Idzik decides to bring in more of his own people. 

If Rex can get the team as it's currently constructed to 5-4 and a real contender to make the playoffs, I think the ceiling is incredibly high for the future with so many draft picks and cap dollars available to us this offseason.  With Rex we know what we get out of him, both the good and the bad.  And as I've said many times, in my mind, the good outweighs the bad by a significant margin. 

I fully supported the firings of Herm and Mangini when they happened.  It would take a major collapse for me to support firing Rex.  I say, give him at minimum 3 more years before we decide to start all over with a new coach.

Remember when Rex was the line coach for that great Ravens team? Remember when he was the defensive coordinator for the 24th-ranked Ravens defense?

Being that the lowest ranked defense Rex has ever had was last year's #8 squad, I suspect that very few people remember this.

I think now that we have adults in the room at GM and OC, Rex is able to simply do the things he's good at. He's good at making his players like him and want to compete hard for him. He's good at being hands-on with the defense.

He won't have to worry about a GM constantly leaning on him for advice on who to draft or sign, as things seemed to be under Tannenbaum. Idzik will shop for the groceries, and already he seems adept at that job. Marty can run the offense, and hopefully he'll be here for a while to do that.

I think this group, Idzik-Rex-Marty-Geno, are capable of being a great group to run the show. I want to see how the team does under that foursome for a few years before Idzik decides to bring in more of his own people.

If Rex can get the team as it's currently constructed to 5-4 and a real contender to make the playoffs, I think the ceiling is incredibly high for the future with so many draft picks and cap dollars available to us this offseason. With Rex we know what we get out of him, both the good and the bad. And as I've said many times, in my mind, the good outweighs the bad by a significant margin.

I fully supported the firings of Herm and Mangini when they happened. It would take a major collapse for me to support firing Rex. I say, give him at minimum 3 more years before we decide to start all over with a new coach.

You want to pretend that the New Orleans win was the norm instead of the anomaly. You want to believe that the Cincinnati game was an anomaly rather than the norm. Recent history suggests otherwise, resoundingly. Look it up.

You want to pretend that the New Orleans win was the norm instead of the anomaly. You want to believe that the Cincinnati game was an anomaly rather than the norm. Recent history suggests otherwise, resoundingly. Look it up.

I think we're a team lacking in talent that has found a way to win games we shouldn't and lose badly to teams that are better.  What in that Cincinnati game suggested it was more bad coaching than being soundly outplayed by a better team?  The Bengals won basically every battle at the point of attack.  Our secondary, as it has every game when we can't apply pressure to the QB, got a spanking.  We are what we are.  A team whose only really good unit is the DL.  Everywhere else on the field we've been outmatched talent-wise in every game but Buffalo and maybe Tampa.

Rex takes responsibility for the fact that we couldn't even be competitive in a game like that, but if you're looking at that game and saying "Rex lost it, it's 90 % on him" I don't know what to tell you.  Just look at the horses and tell me how you think this team should be better than 5-4.

If the Saints game was an anomaly in your mind, was the Pats game an anomaly too?

In recent history, the Jets faced three division leaders in a row and defeated two of them.

Archived