WIth all the draft picks we should have, how many QB's would you take?

AFJF

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meaning, stationary quarterbacks who spread the ball around keep winning despite the very conscious attempt by some teams to force feed the mobile quarterback into the mainstream.

Aaron Rodgers certainly isn't stationary, he's a mobile QB and probably the best player in the league. I think he's sort of the ideal in terms of balance between attributes as a passer/runner.

Pretty sure with the limited amount of camp thses guys get two qb's competing is the only way to get enough reps. 

This actually goes a long way towards why rookies in general are useless, unless they are special right out of the gate. It'll only establish a larger gap between the haves and the have nots over time.

This year, there's maybe 6 decent teams, and then a lot of slop, then the Jags who are losing on purpose. 

As long as the CBA limits reps, practice and contact, it's going to mean that only the teams that have an ongoing influx of talent through multiple drafts can establish dominance and maintain it. Teams trying to do the 1 year reload are screwed mostly... and God forbid you whiff completely in the draft, then you are set back a couple years.

Imagine if Geno was worse than a .500 QB, Richardson sucked as bad as Milliner and Winters and the rest of this crop couldn't play. Holy crap we'd be AWFUL and improvement would be an endless horizon.

I'm not a fan of the "running" QB big difference than calling them Mobile and I think that's what you were referring too.

Last Running QB to win a SB ?  ZERO

Mobile QB Aaron Rodgers

Running QB Micheal Vick

My money is on Rodgers :)

I agree, Most "running QB's" are on IR by about week 11 and would never be around for the Playoffs, let alone healthy enough to win a super bowl.

That being said, I am an advocate for the Jets drafting Manziel, and although he can run (boy can he run), I put him more as a faster Fran Tarkenton with a stronger arm. I think he wants to pass first, but he is so elusive, the way he scrambles. I hope if the Jets get him that he learns to slide and get out of bounds.

**** Eli ...and when was the last SB won by Brady or Manning ?

You're kidding right?

2013 - Flacco v. Kaeperdink

2012 - Eli v. Brady

2011 - Rodgers v. Big Ben

2010 - Brees v. Peyton

2009 - Big Ben v. Warner

2008 - Eli v. Brady

2007 - Peyton v. Grossman

2006 - Big Ben v. Hasselbeck

2005 - Brady v. McNabb

2004 - Brady v. Delhomme

2003 - Johnson v. Gannon

2002 - Brady v. Warner

2001 - Dilfer v. Collins

2000 - Warner v. McNair

The bold represents every QB in the past decade+ who could be "sold" as a mobile QB / scrambler, in reality only Kaep, McNabb and McNair are true scramblers, and both McNabb and McNair were pass-first their whole careers. Meaning ONLY Keapernick has been to a SB as this new breed of QB, that runs first.... and more to the point, NONE OF THEM won the SB.

To your other point Eli, Peyton and Brady have won 6 of the last 12 Superbowls, and those 3 individuals represent 9 of the 24 total QBs to PLAY in the past 12 SBs in that same span.

But yeah, **** Eli and what have Peyton and Brady done... or pure pocket passers in general, for that matter? AMIRITE?

Oh, so you're the guy that project Manual going ahead of Geno all along. Gotcha.

No, I'm just going by where they were drafted this past April.

No, I was predicting Smith way before Manuel this past April, but knowing now who got drafted where, this is where I would put them in this draft.

My drafting predictions the past couple of years has been horrendus. I had the Jets taking Tyler Eiferts and Tavon Austin in this past draft.  Shows what I know.

No, I'm just going by where they were drafted this past April.

No, I was predicting Smith way before Manuel this past April, but knowing now who got drafted where, this is where I would put them in this draft.

My drafting predictions the past couple of years has been horrendus. I had the Jets taking Tyler Eiferts and Tavon Austin in this past draft.  Shows what I know.

Got it.

Jets should have taken Eifert instead of Millner.

Got it.

Jets should have taken Eifert instead of Millner.

Maybe. I'm not down on Millner as much as others. Tough position to come into the NFL, and Rex puts you on an island alot out there. He was injured in camp, and got a late start. I'm being much more patient with him, than I am GENO, as I have pretty much thrown in the towel on Geno.

I think Manziel has a shot to be good.

Mariota I wouldn't touch.

I agree, but I could actually see a scenario where one of those teams , after Bridgewater is gone, then taking Manziel and now its Mariota that falls to the Jets. I am way higher On Manziel, and even Murray, or McCarron over Mariota.

I do however, like the scenario someone mentioned about Jameis Winston in 2015 if we stick it out another year with Geno. very intriguing.

I agree, but I could actually see a scenario where one of those teams , after Bridgewater is gone, then taking Manziel and now its Mariota that falls to the Jets. I am way higher On Manziel, and even Murray, or McCarron over Mariota.

I do however, like the scenario someone mentioned about Jameis Winston in 2015 if we stick it out another year with Geno. very intriguing.

Mccaron I wouldnt draft. I like Murray a bit. Just not sure about his arm yet. But he can take a hit and doesnt look uncomfortable under pressure.

You're kidding right?

2013 - Flacco v. Kaeperdink

2012 - Eli v. Brady

2011 - Rodgers v. Big Ben

2010 - Brees v. Peyton

2009 - Big Ben v. Warner

2008 - Eli v. Brady

2007 - Peyton v. Grossman

2006 - Big Ben v. Hasselbeck

2005 - Brady v. McNabb

2004 - Brady v. Delhomme

2003 - Johnson v. Gannon

2002 - Brady v. Warner

2001 - Dilfer v. Collins

2000 - Warner v. McNair

The bold represents every QB in the past decade+ who could be "sold" as a mobile QB / scrambler, in reality only Kaep, McNabb and McNair are true scramblers, and both McNabb and McNair were pass-first their whole careers. Meaning ONLY Keapernick has been to a SB as this new breed of QB, that runs first.... and more to the point, NONE OF THEM won the SB.

To your other point Eli, Peyton and Brady have won 6 of the last 12 Superbowls, and those 3 individuals represent 9 of the 24 total QBs to PLAY in the past 12 SBs in that same span.

But yeah, **** Eli and what have Peyton and Brady done... or pure pocket passers in general, for that matter? AMIRITE?

.I plainly stated there is a big difference between a "running" QB and a "mobile" QB all those guys you bolded were always pass first not many designed runs other than Kapernick who does have designed runs from time to time.

Not sure where you get Big Ben from since hes NOT a running QB by any stretch . Can he move within the pocket and brush off sure sacks ??? Yep but not a runner. McNair and Mcnabb were always pass first and very good pocket passers but not really running QB's, When I think of Running QB"s I think of guys like Kordell Stewart and Micheal Vick who ran the ball at a much higher rate than the ones you mentioned.

I kinda got caught up in two arguements here didnt mean to do that.

Mccaron I wouldnt draft. I like Murray a bit. Just not sure about his arm yet. But he can take a hit and doesnt look uncomfortable under pressure.

I thought one of Murrays best attributes was his cannon of an arm? Maybe I am mistaken, and thought his height (or lack thereof) was his biggest fault. I like Murray alot but I'm not sure he's worth a 1st like Manziel clearly is.

.I plainly stated there is a big difference between a "running" QB and a "mobile" QB all those guys you bolded were always pass first not many designed runs other than Kapernick who does have designed runs from time to time.

Not sure where you get Big Ben from since hes NOT a running QB by any stretch . Can he move within the pocket and brush off sure sacks ??? Yep but not a runner. McNair and Mcnabb were always pass first and very good pocket passers but not really running QB's, When I think of Running QB"s I think of guys like Kordell Stewart and Micheal Vick who ran the ball at a much higher rate than the ones you mentioned.

I kinda got caught up in two arguements here didnt mean to do that.

I think I pretty clearly stated that guys like Ben, Rodgers, McNabb and McNair were all pass-first, but more mobile than a pure pocket passer - meaning they can scramble and "make plays with their legs" as some say, while Kaep is the only QB on that SB appearance list who fits this mold of "new QB". 

More to the point, the 3 QBs you shrugged off have been dominant in the past 12 years. So, you can conclude that the "new QB who runs" trend is a fluke and hasn't proven to be the new recipe for success, which IMO is implied by the comments you made - even though you didn't say it outright.

If I misunderstood you, then forget it, but you should be slapped in the mouth with a codfish for dismissing Brady, Peyton and Eli.

sign a veteran

draft one

cut garrard

let geno simms and 2 new guys fight it out

This is what you do. Geno has been frustrating to watch this year, but it's ridiculous to throw the towel in on him already. Either you bring in a veteran who has a legitimate shot to unseat him, or you draft a QB high and have him compete for the starting job. The way camps are run, you basically have two guys battling for the one spot and two guys battling for the three spot - until you find your franchise guy.

Drafting more than one (two, if no vets are brought in) is throwing those picks away. Jets need help all over the offense, and as much as Rex does nothing but draft defense (harrumph, harrumph!), they need an infusion of talent in the secondary, too.

The Jets already BLEW two great opportunities to draft an NFL QB when they passed on Joe Flacco for Vernon for Christ sakes Gholston (anyone STILL remember him?) and Russell Wilson. We took Stephen Hill over Wilson. BTW has ANYONE heard of Stephen Hill in the last month or so??? Thought not. In the upcoming draft, I am not sure. There are a lot of good COLLEGE QB's but how they translate to the NFL, not sure. I like McCarron of Alabama - great looking girlfriend.

This is what you do. Geno has been frustrating to watch this year, but it's ridiculous to throw the towel in on him already. Either you bring in a veteran who has a legitimate shot to unseat him, or you draft a QB high and have him compete for the starting job. The way camps are run, you basically have two guys battling for the one spot and two guys battling for the three spot - until you find your franchise guy.

Drafting more than one (two, if no vets are brought in) is throwing those picks away. Jets need help all over the offense, and as much as Rex does nothing but draft defense (harrumph, harrumph!), they need an infusion of talent in the secondary, too.

i don't think the secondary is that big a problem.  A mid-level FA or draft pick at S and a high level FA CB (with the money they save on Cro).  It sounds like a lot, but I don't think it's much expenditure.

Archived