Jets should invest in O-line upgrades

neckdemon

Look at the Patriots OL?      Yeah because their starting Center comes from the first or second or third rounds.... Oh wait he was an undrafted guy, practice squad guy, special teams guy, and not the starting center until last year.     Yeah Connolly was another undrafted kid of guy, a practice squad guy, and now a starter.  Cannon is a 5th round pick a couple seasons ago.   They drafted Nate Solder in the first round in 2011.  They drafted Mankins back in 2005 at the end of the first round.  

So a common theme here is to find undrafted practice squad players who can contribute and find new OL ever couple of years.     

The Patriots starting OL this year has  2 former practice squad and undrafted guys, a 5th round guy,  a guy drafted back in 2005 who is good and they put franchise tags on him, and they have another guy who was drafted at the tail end of the first round(almost making him a 2nd rounder) two seasons ago.      

On paper the jets should have a better OL.    

They have a 2nd round OL from last season, they have a 3rd round OL from this years draft, they have two 1st round former pro bowl OL,  they have a free agent 4th round OL,  and they have a undrafted guy.   

Obviously it's not about finding better OL in the draft.  And like i said, the Dolphins just lost two of their starting OL mid season, and after all the turmoil surrounding that team because of it,  they are still fighting for a playoff spot whereas the jets need luck and eveyrbody else to lose to make it.       Explain to me how the Dolphins OL seems to be having a better season with 2 guys thrown into the mix halfway through this season compared to the Jets where they really haven't had any major injuries or losses on the OL and on paper, the OL should be at least serviceable.   

Thats the thing. Keep blaming the OL, but make excuses for Geno, the coaches and everybody else.

on paper means nothing, and i never said they had to be guys drafted in the first or second rounds. i only said we need to upgrade some pieces on the o-line. the dolphins have a better qb and better receivers. i don't remember ever saying that what we have at qb and receiver are fine and that its the o-lines fault. and, its laughable for you to accuse me of making excuses for geno, as anyone here will tell you i constantly trash geno for being a ******* scrub. what i'm saying is that the jets need to consider investing some resources this season into upgrading the o-line.

I thought Oher at first look, but he has been a dumpster fire this year, crazy to play that bad when you are going to be a FA.

Good, sounds like they might be able to land him for a solid price. Instantly have a RT who might take over for D'Brick in 2016 or 2017.

Him and Gabe Jackson for LG would do the trick for me if they went/want O-line. 

Good, sounds like they might be able to land him for a solid price. Instantly have a RT who might take over for D'Brick in 2016 or 2017.

Him and Gabe Jackson for LG would do the trick for me if they went/want O-line.

I'm on board for giving a blank check to this years equivalent of what A Faneca was when we signed him in FA at LG!

Idzik's has a few year's wiggle room yet. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people next year, by not spending the cap room he has available. Mostly I think it will be more of the same signing a group of 1 year deals, and counting on the draft to build toward the future, and reserving cap space for the future. Unless a "good deal" becomes available.

It's actually not a bad plan except he better do a better job in the draft then what appears to be a very weak draft this year with the exception of Richardson. Of course a few players could develop, but right now it looks weak

He has no choice but to spend it next year. Cap floor.

He has no choice but to spend it next year. Cap floor.

Ways around it.

Just a suggestion, they could give Mo Wilks a ton of money up front against the cap next year, then have him cheap for the next 5.  Don't know if Woody would want to do that after what happened with Revis, but there are other ways I'm sure.

That's why Woody hired another book keeper as GM

Ways around it.

Just a suggestion, they could give Mo Wilks a ton of money up front against the cap next year, then have him cheap for the next 5. Don't know if Woody would want to do that after what happened with Revis, but there are other ways I'm sure.

That's why Woody hired another book keeper as GM

I know you're down on Idzik, but why in the world would he want to cut his own throat by not spending money?

with all the cap space that will be available, and a nice number of draft picks to boot, the jets should seriously invest some resources into the o-line. a great o-line can prop up any offense. sure, i know we need skill position players, and i definitely think we need to be going after receivers and we definitely need to find a a qb who will be real competition to take the reins next year, or just flat out be good enough to be handed the job ( for instance acquiring jay cutler if he were available). but, either way, no matter what we do with qb and skill position players........we need to devote significant resources to building a dominant o-line. if our o-line were dominant, even with zero upgrades to qb and receiver, our offense would improve significantly. now, you couple a dominant o-line with good receivers and a good qb and you have an offense that looks good.

The OL is always a great place to start. I think the entire offense needs to be addressed but the OL is probably one player away in the starting lineup and a few solid back ups wont hurt to create depth. Winters has not played well so if we fill that spot with a proven vet it will give him the chance to develop. 

I know you're down on Idzik, but why in the world would he want to cut his own throat by not spending money?

I'm really not all that down on Idzik.   So far his draft looks bad.  The Ivory move, and to an extend the Colon signing turned out OK, and of course there is Richardson.  I also can't really blame Goodson on him to much. 

He wouldn't be cutting his own throat.  He would be pushing cap money down the road to a time where perhaps it might make an impact.  They are hoping their 5 rookie starters will have a positive development next season, and they have more then the average amount of draft picks. They certainly think they will hit on a few.  The problem is  the Jets have no QB next year, IMO it would be goofy loading up on  expensive FA's , who you will have to pay for years down the road.  When your QB situation is a disaster.  

I'm not saying the Jets won't  sign any FA's  The Jets have a few FA's of their own I hope they  sign.  And if a fairly young player kicks loose at a price they think is a bargain, they'll pursue it.  i just don't think they are going to make many big splashy moves now.  Their not ready.  And they'll still have the money in 2015 when hopefully they'll have solved their QB situation.  I personally don't know how.  The Book keeper comment was only half vicious.  If Idzik has the brains to let real scouts do the scouting, and he sticks to the fancy cap contracts, which are equally important in today's NFL in acquiring quality talent at the right time to make a Super Bowl run, it will work out just fine.   Tannenbaum didn't  

The jets need a dominant offensive line. If they had an awesome QB they wouldn't. If they had a dominant running back or receiver they wouldn't. But they don't have those things. When the jets went to two AFCCGs they did it with a mediocre QB. Granted he progressed and played well in the playoffs. He even had some nice comeback wins. But he also had a ton of time to throw. Which he needed. Geno needs the same thing. Our QBs are bird-doggers. They watch and wait for a WR to get open. Under pressure they are int machines. This isn't new. Ken O'brien won every QB competition he entered. He was more accurate and threw farther than Dan Marino on his best day. But Marino could read faster and release quicker than any QB of the time. Marino didn't need time. And his teams were successful offensively with only decent OL and virtually no running game. The jets under Rex were successful offensively with players acquired by the Mangini regime. For all of Manginis faults, he knew how to build a football team. He spent two 1st round draft picks on Dbrick and Mangold in the same draft. And they became pro bowlers. That's the last time this team has attempted to build a team from the foundation up. Now we complain that those guys are playing poorly. Why? Because they have bad left guards playing between them. With Faneca they were great. With Ducasse/Winters, they are poor. The solution, as obvious as it would seem, has not been addressed. It's time to put a good to great guard between them. To let the running game take the pressure off. To give the WRs time to get open. To give the QB time to settle and pick a target. It's not sexy. But it's necessary. The impact of a great left guard could be a game changer for this offense. Draft all the weapons you want. If you don't get the ball into their hands, they're useless.

The OL is always a great place to start. I think the entire offense needs to be addressed but the OL is probably one player away in the starting lineup and a few solid back ups wont hurt to create depth. Winters has not played well so if we fill that spot with a proven vet it will give him the chance to develop. 

i think so too. sure. its not sexy or exciting. but it's literally the infrastructure of the offense.

Archived