Sheldon to Idzik: Don't Fire Rex Ryan

bitonti

from yesterday's NYDN

NY Jets players back Rex Ryan, Sheldon Richardson says he would talk to Idzik if he felt Rex was in danger of being fired 

Willie Colon and David Nelson join Richardson in the chorus that's calling for Ryan to be back with Gang Green in 2014.

By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS 
Thursday, December 19, 2013

Rex Ryan, after back-to-back AFC championship game appearances, has missed the playoffs in each of the last two years — and will miss the postseason this year, too — leading to questions about his job security.

Sheldon Richardson has a message for John Idzik: don’t fire Rex Ryan.

The brazen defensive rookie of the year candidate isn’t afraid to go to bat for his coach, even if it means heading upstairs to voice his opinion to the Jets GM.

“True statement, I would,” Richardson told the Daily News, when asked if he would appeal directly to Idzik. “If I felt like that, that his job was in jeopardy, which I don’t feel like it (is). It’s all speculation. But I most definitely would.”

“I most definitely think he’ll be back, I could be wrong, but hey man, this is the way the business works,” Richardson added. “If his job was in jeopardy, Rex would tell you his job was in jeopardy. I promise you he would.”

Though the Jets made the AFC championship game in Ryan’s first two seasons as head coach, he has followed that with three years of missing the playoffs which has placed him firmly on the hot seat. Presumably, owner Woody Johnson and Idzik will announce Ryan’s fate on Monday, December 30, the day after the team’s Week 17 matchup in Miami. 

There’s no questioning the affection the players feel for Ryan: in recent days numerous Jets have spoken out in support of their head coach, saying how much they’d like to see him back.

“I think every player in here cares for him, it’s so much deeper than a player-coach relationship,” David Nelson said. “It’s not just so much of X’s and O’s and schemes with Rex. It’s about the people, it’s about the relationships. Guys respect that, because in this business that’s hard to come by.”

“John’s (Idzik) here every day so it doesn’t go unnoticed how we draw to him to and take to him,” Richardson added.

Nelson said he wouldn’t approach Idzik about the situation -- “we all have our roles,” he said -- but if the front office sought out players’ opinion’s, Nelson said he felt it would be overwhelmingly positive.

“If he came down here and asked I think every single guy in here would stand up and have Rex’s back,” Nelson said. 

Jets general manager John Idzik, along with owner Woody Johnson, are expected to decide Rex Ryan’s fate with the Jets after Week 17. 

Gang Green’s players may want Ryan to stay, but just like the fans, they don’t know what the future has in store for their head coach. They may have a feeling one way or the other, but whether Ryan will be retained next season remains a mystery to all those that won’t be making the decision.

“Right now it’s a sensitive subject, whatever happens with Rex. I don’t get a sense what’s going to happen,” Willie Colon said. “I wish it was different in the meeting room, but he doesn’t talk about it. It’s just the white elephant in the room, so to speak, but it’s not talked about, it’s not dealt with, all eyes are on Cleveland.”

“We finish these two games strong, they may be like, alright Rex, let’s give it one more shot,” Colon said. “I think a lot depends on how these last two games go.”

Nelson was on the Bills last year when Chan Gailey was fired after the season. There, he said, “the writing was on the wall.” This feels different, the receiver felt.

“I’ve been with a coaching staff who kind of knew it was coming and you can kind of tell by the way they were acting and the attitude and the demeanor,” Nelson said. “I don’t notice a difference with Rex. He’s still talking about the future. He’s still talking about next year. He’s still talking the last two games can propel us to be a successful team next year.”

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players have always been very comfortable playing for Rex. Too comfortable

What player wouldnt want Rex back. Hey Rex, I'm going to a strip club tonight, with a loaded gun, smoke some crack, hire a $5000 hooker, what time do we report in the morning, Because I might be a little late. REX: Ok, but not too late.

The entire team is going to turn on Idzik when he fires him.

Solution:

Fire Idzik

If Idzik replaces Rex with a garbage coach that doesn't win, he will be fired when the HC is fired, and with out getting an above average QB in here next season both new coach, and Idzik could be fired if the players do revolt!

For every action, there is a reaction!

I mean, it does seem unlikely that the next coach would put in a then to be 2nd year defensive tackle at full back and run him on back to back plays at the goal line in a still meaningful situation. So, I can see where Richardson is coming from.

It worked against the best D in the league no?

If Idzik replaces Rex with a garbage coach that doesn't win, he will be fired when the HC is fired, and with out getting an above average QB in here next season both new coach, and Idzik could be fired if the players do revolt!

For every action, there is a reaction!

And if Idzik pulls the right quarterback off the Magical Quarterback Tree, it won't matter who the coach is!!!!!!!!!

The entire team is going to turn on Idzik when he fires him.

Solution:

Fire Idzik

Who cares if they turn on the GM, as long as they dont turn on the new Coach. And turning on the guy who determines your salary is really not a very wise career move. The last time I turned on my boss, his very worsd were," You can stay, and not get paid, or you can leave, your choice"

link?

If players are only willing to play for certain temperament types, those are players we should not want on a team.

The New York jets pay their salaries, not Rex Ryan

Your twisting points, if the Jets fire Rex, and the next coach is completely incompetent that the players know it's costing the team wins, then yes you can lose a team, particularly when they thought the previous coach didn't do this, whether their right, or wrong in the thinking,

Who cares if they turn on the GM, as long as they dont turn on the new Coach. And turning on the guy who determines your salary is really not a very wise career move. The last time I turned on my boss, his very worsd were," You can stay, and not get paid, or you can leave, your choice"

Man your job sucks, or your not good at your job. I turn on my boss every single time I feel he is wrong, and I'm better at my job then he is so he has no choice, but to take it! Just like Idzik would if a super talented player like Richardson turned on him, Richardson is better at his job then Idzik is at his!

Your twisting points, if the Jets fire Rex, and the next coach is completely incompetent that the players know it's costing the team wins, then yes you can lose a team, particularly when they thought the previous coach didn't do this, whether their right, or wrong in the thinking,

Illustrate examples where this has happened before. With quotes and proof.

Man your job sucks, or your not good at your job. I turn on my boss every single time I feel he is wrong, and I'm better at my job then he is so he has no choice, but to take it! Just like Idzik would if a super talented player like Richardson turned on him, Richardson is better at his job then Idzik is at his!

who signs the checks?

uh, pretty much both. The job sucked and I sucked at the job. Hah. but I lasted long enough to get vested and thats all that matters.

i think the key statement in that article is Colon's. Alot matters on how they finish. if they get blown out and it's an embarassment, see ya. If they win 2 and go 8-8, gotta keep Rex. I know everyone thinks the decision has already been made but Idzik will probably be patient about this. 

who signs the checks?

I don't care as long as they keep coming, which they do, and have for the past 15 years because I'm good at my job! I know sounds kinda like the Revis situation, but he would kick me out on my ass the minute I wasn't good at what I do so **** him, I have bills to pay, and a family to feed!

i think the key statement in that article is Colon's. Alot matters on how they finish. if they get blown out and it's an embarassment, see ya. If they win 2 and go 8-8, gotta keep Rex. I know everyone thinks the decision has already been made but Idzik will probably be patient about this.

Colon has loved everyone on the Jets all year. He's a veteran player who's got one foot in the grave. All he wants is to scrounge another contract from anyone next year.

Colon has loved everyone on the Jets all year. He's a veteran player who's got one foot in the grave. All he wants is to scrounge another contract from anyone next year.

Colon is no dummy. He knows the gifts that Rex has been part of in the past, the soft touch that Rex has and would not mind some of that famous favoritism thrown his way. 

Archived