Would you resign if your Idzik?

joewillie78

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:)

Honestly, I don't think he needs a babysitter as much as he needs someone to hold the purse strings. If Idzik is good at his job, I think the two of them can be a good team. I really do.

I think it's only fair to reveal that I am in a state of absolute Jets-despair today over the news of Rex coming back. I've antagonized you all season on this issue, and we disagree completely on it. Today or tomorrow, I will have my comeuppance.

Again, someone asked why us Rex "haters" find it hard to believe that Idzik believes his best option is Rex? and my answer is:

Because we thought Idzik was a smart guy.

Maybe I need to rethink that. We have already seen what having Rex as your head coach did for Mike Tannebaums career (what is he ? like some NFL network commentator), you would thin Idzik would recognize this and move on.

I think Tanny made his own bed. I know Rex had a lot of input on draft picks, but I doubt he was whispering to Mr. T to completely overpay nearly everyone he had contract negotiations with. That - more than anything - is what greased the skids for Tanny.

Rex will be a better coach in a sharply defined role such as this. His input into the draft should be little more than a discussion about what he feels the team needs. The scouts should scout, and the GM should make the final calls. Rex can suggest specific free agents, but the GM has to make the determination whether they're worth going after - and at what cost. As in, if Rex suggests going after Nnamdi Asomugha, the GM needs to be able to say it makes no sense to pursue him with Revis, Cromartie, and another first round CB on the roster. I don't think Rex is alone in the coaching world with an extravagant wish list, but the GM needs to be able to say no. This was one of Tannenbaum's biggest failures.

I'm not getting the impression from recent stories that it's gonna be shut up and coach, though. I think Idzik actually likes Rex, and has seen that he's a smart coach who the players respond to. I think they'll collaborate, but that Idzik will be the boss that Tannenbaum never was. Again, provided the rumors that Rex is indeed returning are true.

I hope you're right slats. Despite my dislike of Rex, my number one priority is seeing the Jets rise from these ashes and be a team we can all be proud of. I still have my doubts as to Rex's ability to make that happen - I still have nightmares about the games the players just 'call in' as they say and don't show up to play. I will pray until it's over that Rex gets canned but if he stays I will ride his a$$ unmercifully because I don't think he has what it takes to win a SB.

I think it's only fair to reveal that I am in a state of absolute Jets-despair today over the news of Rex coming back. I've antagonized you all season on this issue, and we disagree completely on it. Today or tomorrow, I will have my comeuppance.

Maybe you can get Kay gee to spank you

Wait, wait. Hold on a minute. Are you saying that Tannenbaum was a good GM who was taken down by Rex? Is that your position?

Okay. Wow.

Rex will be a better coach in a sharply defined role such as this. His input into the draft should be little more than a discussion about what he feels the team needs. The scouts should scout, and the GM should make the final calls. Rex can suggest specific free agents, but the GM has to make the determination whether they're worth going after - and at what cost. As in, if Rex suggests going after Nnamdi Asomugha, the GM needs to be able to say it makes no sense to pursue him with Revis, Cromartie, and another first round CB on the roster. I don't think Rex is alone in the coaching world with an extravagant wish list, but the GM needs to be able to say no. This was one of Tannenbaum's biggest failures.

I'm not getting the impression from recent stories that it's gonna be shut up and coach, though. I think Idzik actually likes Rex, and has seen that he's a smart coach who the players respond to. I think they'll collaborate, but that Idzik will be the boss that Tannenbaum never was. Again, provided the rumors that Rex is indeed returning are true.

Where did I say that Tannenbaum was "a good GM"? All I said was that Rex's "coaching" sure helped Tannenbaums career curve take a nosedive. Do you not agree with that?

Where did I say that Tannenbaum was "a good GM"? All I said was that Rex's "coaching" sure helped Tannenbaums career curve take a nosedive. Do you not agree with that?

Not one little bit. If anything, Rex's coaching extended Tannenbaum's career.

To do what, be a talking head on NFL network, and now part of some "sports agency"? Wow, thanks for your help REX but I can find the gutter myself.

Tannenbaum was sh*t with Mangini, and the two of them failed to win a playoff game. He hired Rex, and they won four playoff games in two years. If not for Rex, Tannenbaum would've been out of the NFL a lot sooner.

When Rex Ryan arrived in 2009 he promised a change is the so-called Jets 'culture'. How has that worked out? Seems very much like the last three years, the Same Old Jets statements have been very prevalent, so how has he changed the culture? He asks them to "Play like Jets" and I have seen them do exactly that. Against, Buffalo, Baltimore and Miami when the Jets were the sixth seed in the AFC and would stay there as long as they kept winning. Have we seen this before? Coslet had the Jets 8-5 only to lose their last three games. Mangini also had the Jets at 8-5 only to lose the last three games. THIS has been the culture of the NY Jets and Rex Ryan has only ADDED chapters to this loooooong running story. Idzik, do NOT trust the NY media. They are looking to take YOU down with Rex. In preseason Serby, Mehta AND Cimini all said that Rex getting Sanchez injured was a firable offense. They also had him canned along with Tanny after last year. NOW they come to his rescue? Really? No. I think they want TWO targets next year not just one and when the inevitable 'Jet moment' arrives, under Rex, you will be squarely in their crosshairs and if you keep Rex YOU WILL DESERVE NOTHING LESS.

If Woody, FORCED you to take on Rex for at least 1 more year and possibly more with an extension, would you resign, knowing you basically have little to no power in the organization when it comes to the MAJOR decisions?

I would in a heartbeat.

No.

Because 30m cap space and 13 draft picks.

Again, someone asked why us Rex "haters" find it hard to believe that Idzik believes his best option is Rex? and my answer is:

Because we thought Idzik was a smart guy.

Maybe I need to rethink that. We have already seen what having Rex as your head coach did for Mike Tannebaums career (what is he ? like some NFL network commentator), you would thin Idzik would recognize this and move on.

LOL... Rex ruined Tannenbaum's career?  That's a new one!

Maybe Idzik had a plan, that maybe even included eliminating Rex at the end of this year, but that plan also involved a major rebuild and very low expectations for this season.  A clue to this is Woody Johnson saying he was happy with where the team was.  I'm guessing no-one inside the organization thought this was a playoff year.  Maybe Idzik was impressed by Rex taking this team to where it got to this year, and maybe he actually, in a year of working side by side to him, came to like/respect him.  Maybe, Idzik isn't 100% on Rex, but he's thinks the continuity with the good young players the team does have and the way the players have rallied around Rex has value over an unknown replacement that he is not totally sold on.  These are all possibilities that can precede Idzik being an "idiot."

LOL... Rex ruined Tannenbaum's career?  That's a new one!

Maybe Idzik had a plan, that maybe even included eliminating Rex at the end of this year, but that plan also involved a major rebuild and very low expectations for this season.  A clue to this is Woody Johnson saying he was happy with where the team was.  I'm guessing no-one inside the organization thought this was a playoff year.  Maybe Idzik was impressed by Rex taking this team to where it got to this year, and maybe he actually, in a year of working side by side to him, came to like/respect him.  Maybe, Idzik isn't 100% on Rex, but he's thinks the continuity with the good young players the team does have and the way the players have rallied around Rex has value over an unknown replacement that he is not totally sold on.  These are all possibilities that can precede Idzik being an "idiot."

Alot of "maybes" in this scenario.

your blind hatred of Rex is also blinding you to reality. Tanny was GM while Mangini was here, too, hence the decent picks from 2006-2008. and stop with this zero starting pro-bowlers crap. it is an entirely subjective process. anyone who knows football at all knows Wilkerson and Richardson should have been pro-bowlers. Rex should give Idzik his input, but that's as far as it should go. and as I said, Tanny was ultimately responsible for putting a team together, but he had no eye for personnel and wasn't smart with money. He is NOT a good GM, and obviously the rest of the league recognizes this.

The amazing thing about Tanny is everyone lauded him for his "cap-wizardry," mysticism which can be accomplished only with a license to Quicken Pro, and it was his disastrous management of the cap that lead to his demise more than anything else.

Alot of "maybes" in this scenario.

Indeed there are.

As, maybes are the only thing we can speak about intelligently.

It is literally amazing how much mind-reading and psych prowess people, like yourself, display on this board every day, conveying intimate knowledge of the Jets draft process, the GM/Coach relationship, and the GM's thought processes about retaining or firing the HC.

Either that, or most people on this board work for the Jets.  I don't.  So, I stick to maybes based on how things actually play out.

Indeed there are.

As, maybes are the only thing we can speak about intelligently.

It is literally amazing how much mind-reading and psych prowess people, like yourself, display on this board every day, conveying intimate knowledge of the Jets draft process, the GM/Coach relationship, and the GM's thought processes about retaining or firing the HC.

Either that, or most people on this board work for the Jets.  I don't.  So, I stick to maybes based on how things actually play out.

Touche, well played.

Wait, wait. Hold on a minute. Are you saying that Tannenbaum was a good GM who was taken down by Rex? Is that your position?

Okay. Wow.

In a real-world analogy that many people might relate to, Rex is like the super salesman who, without training and minimal supervision, is given a management position.  Doomed to fulfill thePeter Principle.  Whatever qualities Tanny may or may not have had, being an authoritative manager and setting the course for the organization clearly was not one of them -- he was more of a sidekick than being Rex's boss.  Rex may be salvageable with Idzik exerting more control, but this is a cure-it or kill-it situation.  I have been critical of Rex's management/head coaching performance, but I am not floored by any of the alternatives -- so another attempt with him on a short leash and clearly defined responsibilities and expectations isn't the worst thing in the world.  Draft picks and cap room won't hurt, either.

It's amazing how all the sudden now that Rex is staying, all the Rex lovers who were down on Idzik all are on his jock.

If Woody forced IdIk to do this, I would quit if I were Idzik.

He won't, and we will never know the truth.

Rex lovers will convince themselves that following beating the browns Idzik came around, which is utter nonsense.

This has Woody written all over it

Why? How do you know anything was FORCED on Idzik.

Who's available out there that you want as a HC?

One week Idzik is making calls to candidates, the fans go bonkers along with the media to keep Rex, and now he's back. On the field the only thing that happened is we barely beat the hapless browns at home. It's pretty obvious what's going on here.

It's amazing how all the sudden now that Rex is staying, all the Rex lovers who were down on Idzik all are on his jock.

Idzik still has a lot to prove, starting next off season when he has a lot of resources to work with, but not firing Rex just for the sake of firing him when he doesn't have a better alternative in hand would be (if true) a decent start.

One week Idzik is making calls to candidates, the fans go bonkers along with the media to keep Rex, and now he's back. On the field the only thing that happened is we barely beat the hapless browns at home. It's pretty obvious what's going on here.

Maybe those candidates turned him down. Maybe he realized he didn't have any viable candidates.

Idzik still has a lot to prove, starting next off season when he has a lot of resources to work with, but not firing Rex just for the sake of firing him when he doesn't have a better alternative in hand would be (if true) a decent start.

Idzik keeping Rex has shown me is is not going to be a good GM. You don't change your beliefs based on the fans opinion like he did. It's not a popularity contest. Also, since Woody is involved with this, Idzik will be hamstrung by the moron.

Idzik keeping Rex has shown me is is not going to be a good GM. You don't change your beliefs based on the fans opinion like he did. It's not a popularity contest. Also, since Woody is involved with this, Idzik will be hamstrung by the moron.

You don't know that's the case.

The fans who hate Rex had themselves all excited about John Idzik, that he was forced to take on Rex but as soon as he got the chance he was gonna kick his ass to the curb. But that was all projection. Idzik never tipped his hand either way. Could simply be that Idzik likes Rex, thinks he's a pretty good coach, and recognizes that he did more with the sh*t roster he was handed than most coaches could.

How do you know he was making calls? Again, who's out there? How many coaches have turned the Jets down over the years?

You don't know that's the case.

The fans who hate Rex had themselves all excited about John Idzik, that he was forced to take on Rex but as soon as he got the chance he was gonna kick his ass to the curb. But that was all projection. Idzik never tipped his hand either way. Could simply be that Idzik likes Rex, thinks he's a pretty good coach, and recognizes that he did more with the sh*t roster he was handed than most coaches could.

I know exactly what happened, and no Jets fan should be happy about it regardless of whether you like Rex or not. It's really bad the way football decisions are made by the Jets, and does not speak well for the team.

Archived