Another NFL player poll to argue about- Brady wins this one

faba

Poll: Most trust Tom Brady in clutch
Updated: January 29, 2014, 9:40 AM ET
By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass -- When New England Patriots receiver Julian Edelman is asked whyTom Brady is the clear-cut choice as the quarterback any team would want in the huddle with two minutes remaining and the Super Bowl on the line, he is quick with his answer.

"Look at his résumé," Edelman said.

Edelman and others around the NFL did just that in making Brady a runaway winner in ESPN.com's NFL Nation Confidential anonymous player survey.

Brady received 128 of a possible 320 votes, outdistancing Peyton Manning, who tallied 86 votes.

Brady has played in five Super Bowls, winning three by leading the Patriots from a fourth-quarter deficit or tie. In his 14-year career, he has engineered 41 game-winning drives from a fourth-quarter deficit or tie.

"He is a very calm guy when the game is on the line," Patriots rookie receiver Kenbrell Thompkinssaid. "He just says, 'We live for these moments. Let's do it.'"

Few have done it better than Brady, whose fiery leadership and cool-headed play in the clutch are a unique mix.

Brady has 30 comeback drives when trailing in the fourth quarter, which ranks fifth in NFL history behind John Elway (43), Manning (40), Dan Marino (37) and Joe Montana (31).

Teammates of Brady say they can't help but feel his confidence at crunch time.

"He's been there before and done it," receiver Danny Amendola said. "You just kind of follow him as he takes the lead."

"It just comes from his experience, 14 years, that control he has over pretty much anyone in the huddle. He just takes over," Pats tight end Michael Hoomanawanui added. "Obviously, the fact he's done it time and time before helps out a lot, too. That's pretty much the way he goes out and plays each and every snap.

"But when it comes down to those two-minute situations, he takes it to another level. That's why he's the man."

nfl_TwoMinute_560x655.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only challenge I see is you have to "reach" the Superbowl in order to be clutch in it.  Plus I would say the most clutch Superbowl play I have seen in a very long time was Eli when he dispatched the Patriots perfect season.   Personally I'm fine with Brady winning a meaningless poll.  Good for him.  I'm sure he is GRACIOUS in winning.

Yeah we do not have to make every thing about Rex. He si the coach like him or not we have to support him-if he slips up then we go back to criticize him

I have not been on the board much lately. Honestly every time I look at any thread on any subject I see this nitwit posting something about Rex. Damn, just get over it.

The only challenge I see is you have to "reach" the Superbowl in order to be clutch in it.  Plus I would say the most clutch Superbowl play I have seen in a very long time was Eli when he dispatched the Patriots perfect season.   Personally I'm fine with Brady winning a meaningless poll.  Good for him.  I'm sure he is GRACIOUS in winning.

I guarantee he doesn't drive over to Eli's house and pump his fist to celebrate. 

I agree with this...I'd take Brady in the clutch any day over Manning.

People are acting like Manning taking a 2nd team to the Super Bowl is the end all be all in this conversation.  Is there any doubt that Brady wouldnt do the same with the Broncos?  Theyr'e loaded.  Brady is playing with High School talent on offense and the dude lost 1 less game and beat them head to head.

I hate Brady as much as the next guy, but he's really ******* good.

People are acting like Manning taking a 2nd team to the Super Bowl is the end all be all in this conversation.  Is there any doubt that Brady wouldnt do the same with the Broncos?  Theyr'e loaded.  Brady is playing with High School talent on offense and the dude lost 1 less game and beat them head to head.

Yes. End of conversation.

Yes, JiF. THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Best QB's of our generation:

1.  Peyton Manning

2.  Tom Brady

No one is saying Brady isn't really f***ing good.  Just not as good as Peyton.  What's the problem with that?

Great point.  I would ask if Brady would be the same QB playing for John Fox rather than Bellicheat.  We know that Peyton could be coached by the fizz from a can of Coke and still win. Could Brady?

Great point.  I would ask if Brady would be the same QB playing for John Fox rather than Bellicheat.  We know that Peyton could be coached by the fizz from a can of Coke and still win. Could Brady?

Would he know exactly what defense he was facing on every play due to an elaborate system of electronic and video surveillance? If not, then no. 

Peyton once went to the Super Bowl with this guy as his HC:

1287653551.jpg

I don't recall Caldwell ever talking into that headset, particularly when the Colts offense was on the field.  He was the best statue in the league.

With Peyton, it never really mattered who the coach was.  He found ways to win himself.  Could anyone really, honestly say that was the case with Tom Brady?  Also how has he done post-Spygate?

Manning also had= subpar defenses he had to play with to overcome.

Bingo.  Brady won his titles with guys like Ty Law, Richard Seymour, Willie McGinnest and Rodney Harrison on the other side of the ball.  Who did Peyton have?  Dwight Freeney and a whole lotta nothing.  His defense this year has been nothing special either, with injuries all over the place.  Still found themselves in the Super Bowl.

Best QB's of our generation:

1.  Peyton Manning

2.  Tom Brady

No one is saying Brady isn't really f***ing good.  Just not as good as Peyton.  What's the problem with that?

No problem, I'd still take Brady over Manning.  He does more with less than any QB I've ever seen.

Peyton once went to the Super Bowl with this guy as his HC:

1287653551.jpg

I don't recall Caldwell ever talking into that headset, particularly when the Colts offense was on the field.  He was the best statue in the league.

With Peyton, it never really mattered who the coach was.  He found ways to win himself.  Could anyone really, honestly say that was the case with Tom Brady?  Also how has he done post-Spygate?

The headset wasn't on. It was just for looks.

I could have coached the Broncos to the Super Bowl this year.

That said, there is zero doubt in my mind that if Brady was the Broncos QB that they'd win the Super Bowl.  The fact Manning is involved, makes me have my doubts. 

Also, Manning never beat the Gators and that means something.

Archived