Richie Incognito

Jetknowledge

I'm sure. My point, or my question I suppose, is with bullying being put in the spotlight, and regardless of this being an Incognito problem, will tolerance for this type of behavior drop, and thus, make it easier for Sam to 1) come out and 2) survive the locker room.

On the other side of the coin, is Sam now untouchable with regard to typical rookie hazing, including buying lunches and the relatively minor stuff, because he'll be looked at as "protected."

Great questions. But, if I know my Roger, he's already picked the team that's going to draft Sam, and the league is going to obsessively drive the public relations aspect of Michael Sam's career. Were I a betting man, I'd pencil Sam in as New England's third round pick right now, because it's a liberal state, with a lib owner, where he'll be a secondary topic in an organization that won't embarrass itself.

As an aside, I think the Sam situation is so much larger than this Incognito thing that I can't even draw parallels. If Sam gets into the wrong locker room where that one halfwit player inevitably starts quoting Leviticus to a columnist, it becomes an ordeal. Once Martin signs with San Fran or Indianapolis, that story dies.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose showing up drunk to practice fits under this, no?

Probably. Did they get caught?

Incognito got caught. Sucks for him if this is normal behavior, but again, he probably does this A LOT. Going back to the traffic analogy, the first time you get a speeding ticket probably isn't the first time you're speeding.

You go on and on about this more than anyone here. What is your point, exactly? That Martin deserves to be punished because he didn't do things the way you think he should have? That Richie Incognito, with his track record of being kicked off teams and assault, is really just an innocent bystander in all this because it happens everywhere in the NFL and  therefore doesn't deserve ridicule and/or the consequences he's facing? I don't understand what you're so trying to convince us all of.

Probably. Did they get caught?

Incognito got caught. Sucks for him if this is normal behavior, but again, he probably does this A LOT. Going back to the traffic analogy, the first time you get a speeding ticket probably isn't the first time you're speeding.

You go on and on about this more than anyone here. What is your point, exactly? That Martin deserves to be punished because he didn't do things the way you think he should have? That Richie Incognito, with his track record of being kicked off teams and assault, is really just an innocent bystander in all this because it happens everywhere in the NFL and  therefore doesn't deserve ridicule and/or the consequences he's facing? I don't understand what you're so trying to convince us all of.

Martin showed up to practice drunk and was talked about in the report. 

Point is this whole ordeal has been entirely one sided. It's football, its a locker room full of guys who are paid to hit people. Throw in a guy who's mentally unstable and has a score to settle, you get this. Its frustrating to see, that's all. I'll never understand the pleasure people get out of a witch-hunt. I'm just surprised how we've become so programed to take the words of the Bob Costas', Peter King's and Roger Goodell's of the world as gospel, especially when zero people within the organization that were there every day, defended Martin. 

Great questions. But, if I know my Roger, he's already picked the team that's going to draft Sam, and the league is going to obsessively drive the public relations aspect of Michael Sam's career. Were I a betting man, I'd pencil Sam in as New England's third round pick right now, because it's a liberal state, with a lib owner, where he'll be a secondary topic in an organization that won't embarrass itself.

As an aside, I think the Sam situation is so much larger than this Incognito thing that I can't even draw parallels. If Sam gets into the wrong locker room where that one halfwit player inevitably starts quoting Leviticus to a columnist, it becomes an ordeal. Once Martin signs with San Fran or Indianapolis, that story dies.

What's funny is how liberal Boston proper is, but the majority of their fans from  dorcester to foxboro are the exact type of people you'd like to keep away from Sam. Black and gay? Lord help him if he stumbles into Southie.  Well, not really, he's still a 6'3 260 pound monster. But you get the point.

Martin showed up to practice drunk and was talked about in the report.

Point is this whole ordeal has been entirely one sided. It's football, its a locker room full of guys who are paid to hit people. Throw in a guy who's mentally unstable and has a score to settle, you get this. Its frustrating to see, that's all. I'll never understand the pleasure people get out of a witch-hunt. I'm just surprised how we've become so programed to take the words of the Bob Costas', Peter King's and Roger Goodell's of the world as gospel, especially when zero people within the organization that were there every day, defended Martin.

What happens when the witch hunt catches a witch?

What's funny is how liberal Boston proper is, but the majority of their fans from  dorcester to foxboro are the exact type of people you'd like to keep away from Sam. Black and gay? Lord help him if he stumbles into Southie.  Well, not really, he's still a 6'3 260 pound monster. But you get the point.

This is an absurdly bigoted post.

What's funny is how liberal Boston proper is, but the majority of their fans from dorcester to foxboro are the exact type of people you'd like to keep away from Sam. Black and gay? Lord help him if he stumbles into Southie. Well, not really, he's still a 6'3 260 pound monster. But you get the point.

Nobody should go to Southie anyway.

Everyone has their panties in a bunch because a man called another grown ass man blah blah blah but everyone's fine with having players that cheat on their wives, abuse women, don't pay child support, act like complete ghetto trash or inbred rednecks, use drugs, cheat, fight dogs, etc etc.

****sake

I guess we are getting to the point where we can't separate professional athletes personal transgressions with their on the field play.

You caught a football player? Congratulations.

I'd agree with you if Incognito wasn't a renowned a$$hole, but he is. If Martin willingly never plays again and drops a $10 mil lawsuit, your point holds, but that doesn't seem like the trajectory this is heading in.

Everyone has their panties in a bunch because a man called another grown ass man blah blah blah but everyone's fine with having players that cheat on their wives, abuse women, don't pay child support, act like complete ghetto trash or inbred rednecks, use drugs, cheat, fight dogs, etc etc.

****sake

Martin aside, you can't possibly condone their behavior on the trainer? That's someone who's put in a pretty much no win situation, with someone who could literally kill him with his bare hands.

However, while I think Richie is a certified dirtbag, I also don't feel he should in any way be blacklisted from the NFL, because as you mentioned, there's murderers, rapists and thieves celebrated in that very league.  I just wouldn't want him in our locker room because his level of play doesn't balance out his actions.

Have you lived there? I have, for over six years. There's not a single place in the greater New England area that's as blatantly racist and bigoted than areas in Mass. 

I'd be careful casting that brush over an entire group of people. Entirely unfair. 

I'd agree with you if Incognito wasn't a renowned a$$hole, but he is. If Martin willingly never plays again and drops a $10 mil lawsuit, your point holds, but that doesn't seem like the trajectory this is heading in.

He's renowned a$$hole that everyone in that locker room defended. In real life- yes he's a huge dickhead. NFL locker room- he's considered a good teammate.

I'd be careful casting that brush over an entire group of people. Entirely unfair. 

Anyone who reads it and can comprehend contextual clues, knows that I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but I stand by everything I've said. I've lived in a handful of the major cities in the northeast and I'm telling you, it's bad. 

Anyone who reads it and can comprehend contextual clues, knows that I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but I stand by everything I've said. I've lived in a handful of the major cities in the northeast and I'm telling you, it's bad. 

So context matters again. I can't keep  up.

He's renowned a$$hole that everyone in that locker room defended. In real life- yes he's a huge dickhead. NFL locker room- he's considered a good teammate.

It's nearly impossible to get an active teammate to criticize another player in the media. Hell, the Jets will tell you what awesome teammates Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez are, to this very day. Players were telling us how great a teammate Terrell Owens was.

Best post ever

big·ot·ed
ˈbigətid/
adjective

1. 1.
    having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

I know you know karate so Im going to back off from you. 

It's nearly impossible to get an active teammate to criticize another player in the media. Hell, the Jets will tell you what awesome teammates Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez are, to this very day. Players were telling us how great a teammate Terrell Owens was.

lol no they won't

Brandon Moore basically said the exact opposite.

Same article you're referencing:

Center Nick Mangold had this to say: "Santonio's very competitive. He's a great guy, a good teammate. And a lot of times that competitiveness, that drive to do well and do great, it happens. It's just one of those things you move on, you don't worry about it too much."

THE Ohio St University. And as Jets fans I think we all know Mangold's a stand for nothing type of guy. He hasn't had a quote worth repeating since he's been here.

Point being, no teammate is going on the record to rip Incognito, especially if they think there's .00000000134% chance Incognito could end up back on that roster.

Archived