Ryan and Revis allegedly wanted to reunite, but Woody and Idzik said no. Allegedly.

joewilly12

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree I think the Jets could have locked him up cheap for long-term assuring he retired a NY Jet.  Woody and Idzik allowed personal issues to come before trying to make this team better. For that I will never forget either of them and if given the opportunity I will let them both know this.

Hello, have you met Ted?

Darrelle is doing nothing cheap.  Sorry.  That is the truth though.

Idzik is here to make these decisions.  We all know that Rex will go for ex-players every single time.  Revis is great but the price tag is high.  I can't knock Idzik for wanting to go in another direction.

By A.J. Perez/NJ.com

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on March 15, 2014 at 8:15 AM, updated March 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM

All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis was one of the hottest commodities -- at least for the few hours he was available -- on the free-agent market.

But former Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager -- who traded for the Revis -- tells NJ.com that he sees why Revis chose the the New England Patriots over his former club, the Jets.

"Darrelle is 28 and he'll be 29 soon," Dominik said. "From being involved in the negotiations with Revis, I know winning is important to him. I think the way Darrelle looks at it, he sees the Patriots as a better place to win a championship. They came so close last year and he probably thinks they can get there again."

Dominik lured Revis from the Jets for first-round pick (the Jets used that to choose defensive rookie of the year Sheldon Richardson) and a conditional selection in this May's NFL draft (a fourth-round pick good for 100th overall).

Revis agreed to a $96-million deal last year, which made Revis the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history. But the new regime in Tampa Bay believed Revis and his $16 million 2014 salary was too costly and released him Wednesday.

Revis signed a one-year deal worth $12 million hours later. Jets head coach Rex Ryan wanted Revis back, but the entire Jets organization reportedly didn't feel the same way.

"(Jets GM) John (Idzik) is a master planner," Dominik said, "He's going to do whatever he can to put a winning football team on the field for Rex Ryan. You have to think about the moves he's doing now with an eye on retaining players in future years."

The Jets landed arguably the top wide receiver in free agency in former Denver Broncos receiver Eric Decker.

"Decker is the kind of player the fans will fall in love with quickly," Dominik said. "He had good numbers with (Broncos quarterback) Peyron Manning, but I think he can put together a fantastic season anywhere. He'll be a fine addition

Idzik is here to make these decisions.  We all know that Rex will go for ex-players every single time.  Revis is great but the price tag is high.  I can't knock Idzik for wanting to go in another direction.

perennial contender as opposed to throwing lots of 1 yr rental cash when Team isnt ready yet

so cimini is apparently disputing Mehta's report

I say the revis camp leaked this to make idzik look bad

**** them

There's absolutely no question about that.

If it were true, this would have taken more than 4 hours... No question.  Revis ran to the Pats the moment he was released.

Trolling us, nothing more.

What kind of message does this send to the core team guys? The DL will play there asses off as will Harris,Davis and Coples only for the very weak secondary to lose games.

The Revis signing made sense from a football perspective and strengthening the team.

What kind of message does it send?  Well # 1 it sends the kind of message that they aren't going to reward guys that put themselves above the team.  And that is exactly what Revis did here with his holdout.

But why are we worrying about what kind of message it sends when they don't play a game until September?  Plenty of time to address the CB position.

What kind of message does it send?  Well # 1 it sends the kind of message that they aren't going to reward guys that put themselves above the team.  And that is exactly what Revis did here with his holdout.

But why are we worrying about what kind of message it sends when they don't play a game until September?  Plenty of time to address the CB position.

this Madden generation of BIG name adulation is driving me nuts..

But why are we worrying about what kind of message it sends when they don't play a game until September? Plenty of time to address the CB position.

The Jets have 7 CBs on the roster 2 #1 draft picks Rex needs to make it work. Id rather a superstar Safety.

The Jets have 7 CBs on the roster 2 #1 draft picks Rex needs to make it work. Id rather a superstar Safety.

to be fair, they will still need 2 more corners. with rex's defensive sceme, 7 cb's on the roster isn't enough. jets should go into to season with 9 or 10 cb's

Archived