Todd McShay on Blake Bortles

Stonehands

Dude, every GM, offensive and defensive coordinator always state that the combine is important as it either reaffirms what they believe a player to be or makes them go back and look at the games some more.  No one is saying it's the end-all be-all, but it is a very valuable evaluation tool. Our own MM had a 5 minute piece on just how important it is. You can disagree all you want, but you're flat out disagreeing with what guys like MM have stated verbatim on record. 

I never said that it wasn't a valuable evaluation tool. Some people confuse what is being evaluated however. There are also some aspects of the combine that has been glorified. That's all I'm saying. I know that a lot of coordinators think highly of the combine, however fans think highly of it as if it grades a person on how good of a football player one is. It's purely athletic ability, which is how I see it. I'm not saying it doesn't have it's place, but outside of linemen, which the combine is great for, I don't see it replicating many in game situations. 

Todd McShay on Jamarcus Russell: "Best pro-day workout I've ever seen."

that's because Jamarcus Russell had flawless mechanics and one of the best arms ever. Unfortunately it takes brains to be a good to great QB in the NFL and that's where he fell short and it was not McShay who said that is was Mayock

Pro Days and the Combine might be the worst thing to happen to the draft. Draft for Sunday based on what you see on Saturdays, period.

100 % correct.

What the combine needs is a little competition. Let the DB's guard the WR's .... Let the QB's make the tough throws while someone is being covered. Let LB's guard TE's and RB's .... Sure they will probably get burned but talent evaluators will be able to see if they have the proper technique rather than just watching them run in space . Also on the 40 yard dash players should start running the same way they line up on the field not in a track stance. The combine is a joke and so are the pro days.

Couple things at play here:

1. Derek Carr is killing it on his pro day right now.

2. The Raiders supposedly want Schaub.

3. The Browns haven't attended any of the big QB Pro days.

It's really possible that the Jets will have a shot at one of these guys (Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr) at 18.

Couple things at play here:

1. Derek Carr is killing it on his pro day right now.

2. The Raiders supposedly want Schaub.

3. The Browns haven't attended any of the big QB Pro days.

It's really possible that the Jets will have a shot at one of these guys (Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr) at 18.

Ehh, I don't particularly care about pro-days for QBs. It's easy to look good when no one is in your face, which is the knock on Carr, fair or not.  I've said it before, but I don't like any of these QBs enough to draft them in the first round.  It'll be extremely interesting should any of them drop, it'll tell the fanbase a whole lot about how they view Geno.

Ehh, I don't particularly care about pro-days for QBs. It's easy to look good when no one is in your face, which is the knock on Carr, fair or not.  I've said it before, but I don't like any of these QBs enough to draft them in the first round.  It'll be extremely interesting should any of them drop, it'll tell the fanbase a whole lot about how they view Geno.

I know some here hate Manziel but if he fell to 18 the crowd would rush the stage if the Jets didn't draft him.

Though when you think about it, isn't Alex Smith the perfect QB anywhere?

IMO yes he is the perfect QB certainly he's no gun slinger but he's shown the ability to stand up to gun slingers the past few years in the playoffs when he needs to. I love the way he always kept his turnovers to a minimum and let the game come to him rather than trying to force the issue. Seems the Seahawks used the same philosophy with Wilson, the numbers will come, just don't make mistakes to cost us the game. I was really hoping Sanchez was on this track when he reduced his turnovers in year 2 but then totally derailed in year 3 and 4.

Ehh, I don't particularly care about pro-days for QBs. It's easy to look good when no one is in your face, which is the knock on Carr, fair or not. I've said it before, but I don't like any of these QBs enough to draft them in the first round. It'll be extremely interesting should any of them drop, it'll tell the fanbase a whole lot about how they view Geno.

I think if Idzik is serious about the Jets being "QB obsessed," then this is the point in the rebuild where you throw assets at young QBs and hope one emerges. I think they're going QB by Round Three regardless.

An interesting theory I heard on Carr--that Fresno offense left him open to pressure on every snap because everyone is in the pattern, so he may have developed the bad habit of expecting to get hit. I don't know if that holds water, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I think if Idzik is serious about the Jets being "QB obsessed," then this is the point in the rebuild where you throw assets at young QBs and hope one emerges. I think they're going QB by Round Three regardless.

An interesting theory I heard on Carr--that Fresno offense left him open to pressure on every snap because everyone is in the pattern, so he may have developed the bad habit of expecting to get hit. I don't know if that holds water, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I'm not a QB evaluator by any stretch of the imagination, but when I hear rumors of a prospect being skiddish in the pocket even prior to being drafted, that sets off red flags.  Whether that knock on him is warranted or not, it's definitely not something you like to hear. 

I agree that we'll address QB within the first four rounds and I believe we should. However, I'm not sure that what some of these guys offer is that much more impressive than say someone like Mettenberger, that requires them to be drafted 3 rounds earlier. I'm all for drafting a QB, but not at the expense of passing up a better prospect.  I hope Idzik plays it like last year: draft Lee/Cooks or Barr etc. at 18 and if one of the QBs falls to our second round, then you can snag him, like we did Geno.  

Archived