Polian & Sando Grade Free Agency

Lizard King

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike-sando/post?id=7907

New York Jets 
Grade: C+ 

Key signings: WR Eric Decker, QB Michael Vick, T Breno Giacomini, OL Willie Colon, OLB Calvin Pace, K Nick Folk 
Key subtractions: T Austin Howard, CB Antonio Cromartie, S Ed Reed, TEKellen Winslow 

Fans hoping the Jets would aggressively upgrade in free agency had to settle for adding Decker and a 33-year-old Vick. 

"I love John Idzik," one agent said regarding the Jets' GM, "but he will never spend money. He'll win the cap." 

To be fair, the Jets hired Idzik largely because they needed to fix their cap before rebuilding their roster, on offense in particular. The cap is now in good shape. As for a willingness to spend, some thought the Jets shelled out too much for Decker. They questioned whether a team without an accurate quarterback could maximize a receiver such as Decker, who fails to get separation consistently. On the other hand, the Jets were desperate to add help at receiver, and Decker got less than some had predicted. Although Decker surely benefited from playing with Peyton Manning, he caught eight touchdown passes in 2011, including four from Tim Tebow and four from Kyle Orton. 

"Decker is overpaid, but so what?" Polian said. "Breno is an upgrade or about the same. Colon is a favorite of the coaching staff, and they didn't pay him anything anyway. I don’t criticize them at all. They will do what they are going to do in the draft." 

Vick’s addition changes the dynamic some. He has a chance to upgrade the offense, particularly if the Jets can add weapons. But he’s a high-risk addition in terms of injury outlook and on-field decision-making. 

“I think the Jets can be a 10-win team with Vick if they continue to upgrade the weapons,” Riddick said, before noting that it can happen only if Vick stays healthy this season. 

C GRADES 

New York Giants 
Grade: C+ 

Key signings: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, S Quintin Demps, G Geoff Schwartz, CB Walter Thurmond, RB Rashad Jennings, WR Mario Manningham, LB Jon Beason, CB Trumaine McBride, LB Jameel McClain, G John Jerry 
Key subtractions: C David Baas, G Kevin Boothe, DE Justin Tuck, TE Brandon Myers, WRHakeem Nicks, S Ryan Mundy, DT Linval Joseph, LB Keith Rivers 

The Giants were busy, and they needed to be after a disastrous 2013 season shined light on just how bad the team has drafted recently. 

"They have made some good signings, but it is usually not a recipe for immediate success and that is what it sounds like they need there," Riddick said. "I do like what they've done in the secondary even though I don't like DRC's contract. I really like Thurmond. They need to draft some offensive linemen they can develop because they have missed on so many. They have so many needs." 

Rodgers-Cromartie is a 27-year-old cornerback with a Pro Bowl on his résumé, but that is only part of the story. He's also on his fourth team in six years, a reflection of his inability to consistently meet expectations. Rodgers-Cromartie seemed like an ideal candidate for a pay-as-you-go contract. Instead, he got a $10 million signing bonus that will create a cap burden if the team needs to sever ties in the next couple of seasons. 

The Giants did get better on their offensive line. "I'm a fan of Schwartz," Williamson said. "Jennings is a quality player -- not young, but with a lot of tread left. They did not go big in terms of money, but they got quality guys. With the moves they made, they said, 'Yeah, we are not a piece or two away. We need five starters in free agency and none will be Pro Bowlers, but give me a lineman, a corner, etc.' They are not huge winners or losers, but I approve of their approach." 

"Decker is overpaid, but so what?" Polian said. "Breno is an upgrade or about the same. Colon is a favorite of the coaching staff, and they didn't pay him anything anyway. I don’t criticize them at all. They will do what they are going to do in the draft." 

I think this pretty much sums it up right here.  Certainly not spectacular, but some solid moves in FA to set themselves up for the draft.

Why is Decker overpaid, he made a million more than Golden Tate, the other "prized" free agent WR. He is getting paid less than Holmes who would have made $8.25 million. Last year Mike Wallace, the top free agent WR got $10 million. Desean Jackson gets $9.5-$10.5 million, I don't see how we overpaid Decker. Yes his numbers are higher due to Peyton Manning but he has always been productive even when he had the Tebow-Orton duo.

I take Bill Polian as a GM about as seriously as I take Vicks work with the HSUS. He got lucky drafting Manning than surrounded him with the kind of talent that wins one game without him.

Didn't he also build the early 90s Bills and the Panther team that went to the SB?    

Archived