Idzik Continues to Put Jets on Path to Irrelevancy

flgreen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much Idzik hate these days. So many people who refuse to accept that this is chess not checkers. Every move effects every other move sometimes 2+ years down the road.

Hate him all you want, the fact is this: he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Period.

Yeah, the NFL is definitely a league where you wanna plan a decade ahead.

3. Numbers don't add up: The Jets are having a weird season. By that, I mean they are doing things that defy the tenets of football. Consider:

They put pressure on the opposing quarterback more often than any team, but they have yet to intercept a pass. "It really is hard to explain," coach Rex Ryan said. The Jets generate pressure on 33.1 percent of pass plays, slightly better than the J.J. Watt-led Houston Texans, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But they haven't picked off any of the 146 passes.

With such a strong pass rush, the Jets should be killing it on third down, but they have allowed five touchdowns on third down, tied for the mos[t in the league.]

[..]

5. An un-Rex-like trend: Maybe you have noticed, maybe you haven't, but the Jets have played more zone than usual. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman acknowledged the subtle shift, saying, "We’re still going to be true to who we are ... but, yeah, we’re mixing in a little bit more zone than we have in the past." He said they are doing it to break tendencies. The unspoken reason is they are trying to camouflage deficiencies in the secondary. Obviously, zone coverage requires more communication than man-to-man, which may explain some of the mental mistakes.

Weird? Hard to explain? To break tendencies?

I understand the coaches dancing around the answers here, but how does Cimini not come to the conclusion that the lack of interceptions and the shift to zone is a direct result of the Jets trotting sh*t out at the CB position? Not exactly a couple of difficult dots to connect.

I understand the coaches dancing around the answers here, but how does Cimini not come to the conclusion that the lack of interceptions and the shift to zone is a direct result of the Jets trotting sh*t out at the CB position? Not exactly a couple of difficult dots to connect.

Probably the same reason that Cimini hasn't gotten beyond the Jets beat in 25 years and logically why we shouldn't waste too much time analyzing his reporting except for humor.

We've struggle with generating interceptions since Rex has been here.

We've struggle with generating interceptions since Rex has been here.

Generally, they've struggled in a middle of the pack way, not worst in the league way. If you want to pin this year's past defense more on Rex than the personnel, that's up to you. In my opinion the CBs are terrible, and it's showing.

the jets pass offense and defense is the weakest (or near) in the league from a talent perspective . In a league which has out a premium on passing, I am not sure how anyone can be an Idzik fan at this point

Archived