Draft board watching

Jetsfan80

One more note on the Geno/MM issue. One of the reasons I feel it's possible Geno is salvageable as a QB is that he is actually a good QB out of the shotgun and with more reps, he could even become better. Instead MM wants to turn him into Steve Young, in his outdated NFL offense.

Geno ranked dead last in his rookie season under center, yet the Jets continue to shove this more complicated way of playing QB down his throat. In todays NFL, you dont need your QB under center. It's no coincidence that the best QB's,also lead the league in snaps from shotgun/spread formations. It's the way to play offense, and its not even arguable.

The reason it's this way is pretty simple. Rules state the amount teams can practice players in pads and other OTA's. There is nothing against playing a pick up 7 on 7 game in shorts. HS's and Colleges around the country are playing 7 on 7 all year long. 

Getting back to Geno, here is an article about it.

"Geno Smith had his struggles under center in his rookie season raking last in PFF Grade (-10.0) and Yds/Attempt (4.8) to go with his QB Rating of 55.9"

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/03/qbs-in-focus-shotgun/

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more note on the Geno/MM issue. One of the reasons I feel it's possible Geno is salvageable as a QB is that he is actually a good QB out of the shotgun and with more reps, he could even become better. Instead MM wants to turn him into Steve Young, in his outdated NFL offense.

Geno ranked dead last in his rookie season under center, yet the Jets continue to shove this more complicated way of playing QB down his throat. In todays NFL, you dont need your QB under center. It's no coincidence that the best QB's,also lead the league in snaps from shotgun/spread formations. It's the way to play offense, and its not even arguable.

The reason it's this way is pretty simple. Rules state the amount teams can practice players in pads and other OTA's. There is nothing against playing a pick up 7 on 7 game in shorts. HS's and Colleges around the country are playing 7 on 7 all year long. 

"Geno Smith had his struggles under center in his rookie season raking last in PFF Grade (-10.0) and Yds/Attempt (4.8) to go with his QB Rating of 55.9"

This stems from our line play being terrible. The personnel on offense blows...its really tough to run an offense without a deep threat or a back that can catch.

This stems from our line play being terrible. The personnel on offense blows...its really tough to run an offense without a deep threat or a back that can catch.

The line doesn't matter when you are running a spread offense. It's all hit your back foot and release. The way Manning, Brady, Rivers, Foles and others run it.The deep threats don't really matter either. It's about rhythm and timing.

The line doesn't matter when you are running a spread offense. It's all hit your back foot and release. The way Manning, Brady, Rivers, Foles and others run it.The deep threats don't really matter either. It's about rhythm and timing.

The offensive line matters more than anything. The Jets offense is awful because the line can't block anyone first and foremost. The Seahawks looked dysfunctional yesterday because they couldnt block. That's been the Pats problem too. Middle pressure short circuits every offense.

The offensive line matters more than anything. The Jets offense is awful because the line can't block anyone first and foremost. The Seahawks looked dysfunctional yesterday because they couldnt block. That's been the Pats problem too. Middle pressure short circuits every offense.

Yup, it's the main reason the Cowboys have looked so good this season. All those 1st round picks invested into the OL are paying dividends. 

The offensive line matters more than anything. The Jets offense is awful because the line can't block anyone first and foremost. The Seahawks looked dysfunctional yesterday because they couldnt block. That's been the Pats problem too.

A shotgun neutralizes a pass rush to a degree. It puts the QB that much further from the rushers allowing him more time. The Jets offense looks awful because they keep putting Geno under center. Take away his under center plays and he is a middle of the road QB and progressing nicely.

As far as Seattle goes, they had a bad day. Ditto Brady who bounced back nicely with that same OL. 

A shotgun neutralizes a pass rush to a degree. It puts the QB that much further from the rushers allowing him more time. The Jets offense looks awful because they keep putting Geno under center. Take away his under center plays and he is a middle of the road QB and progressing nicely.

As far as Seattle goes, they had a bad day. Ditto Brady who bounced back nicely with that same OL. 

I dont think Geno's been under center much this year but I could be wrong.

Yup, it's the main reason the Cowboys have looked so good this season. All those 1st round picks invested into the OL are paying dividends. 

Lets see if it lasts all year. Last years Super Bowl teams were both spread teams and the RT is on our team right now. Impressed by him so far?

My dream scenario would be a playmaker like Gurley/Cooper/Strong with the 1st pick and then trade back into the end of the first round for a guy like Connor Cook, if he is still there.  That assumes, of course, that we have a GM willing to trade up to go get his guy.

My dream scenario would be a playmaker like Gurley/Cooper/Strong with the 1st pick and then trade back into the end of the first round for a guy like Connor Cook, if he is still there.  That assumes, of course, that we have a GM willing to trade up to go get his guy.

I don't want a RB in the first round. 

We just need to get a whole lot younger on offense. Backs, guards, receivers....everything. We need 3 good backs, another 3 good receivers, guards who can play...just go all out and fix this trainwreck of an offense. Get young, big and fast.

I don't want a RB in the first round. 

I can't argue with the idea -- I think Gurley will be special, but all things considered, I would rather have Cooper or Jaelen Strong who I think will shoot up draft boards as the season progresses.  As  a Georgia grad, I know I am biased towards Gurley,

No, he looks awful. I don't see how Giacomini looking like garbage bolsters the argument that we don't need to revamp the OL.

Geno isnt Wilson and never will be. Having a good line will never ever be a bad thing. It masks a lot of deficiencies on a roster...way more than a good dline does anyway imo.

We just need to get a whole lot younger on offense. Backs, guards, receivers....everything. We need 3 good backs, another 3 good receivers, guards who can play...just go all out and fix this trainwreck of an offense. Get young, big and fast.

Yup, draft strategy should be BOPA -- best offensive player available.  We need help everywhere on that side of the ball.

No, he looks awful. I don't see how Giacomini looking like garbage bolsters the argument that we don't need to revamp the OL.

He looked better in a spread offense. Where the QB has more time and gets rid of the ball quicker.

Yup, draft strategy should be BOPA -- best offensive player available.  We need help everywhere on that side of the ball.

Couldnt believe they didnt bring in any backs pre-draft or at least take one with their 12 picks. Having young fresh legs is never a bad thing. Teams stock that position.

And as I write this Tre Mason makes an appearance.

Couldnt believe they didnt bring in any backs pre-draft or at least take one with their 12 picks. Having young fresh legs is never a bad thing. Teams stock that position.

I agree. The one free agent they spend a few bucks on is a RB. Unreal.

Instead we signed a guy with over 1,700 career carries, slowed by injury, whose numbers have deteriorated over the last 4 years.

I agree. The one free agent they spend a few bucks on is a RB. Unreal.

Instead we signed a guy with over 1,700 career carries, slowed by injury, whose numbers have deteriorated over the last 4 years.

Would rather have kept Daryl Richardson on the roster over Chris Johnson, not even taking into account the $

Made no sense. I'm guessing this was a move to put butts in seats. At least Tomlinson could still play....Tomlinson was a better player too anyways.

Made no sense. I'm guessing this was a move to put butts in seats. At least Tomlinson could still play....Tomlinson was a better player too anyways.

I would like to see Powell get more reps.  He has become and afterthought in this offense since we signed Johnson.

and...who apparently doesn't even know his left from his right as evidenced to a botched screen play route he ran wromgly

How is Gurley on 3rd downs/passing situations?

He is the complete package -- like I posted earlier, I am clearly biased, but he can catch out of the backfield, he is a good blocker, great vision, good size and speed.  Only knock on him has been durability, missed about a month with an ankle injury last season.

Geno's other problem is he sucks....in many more ways

lol I didn't see you just posted that also...I agree , nobody wants to draft lineman until you can't block anyone they make or break your whole team look at Dallas

dallas also has demarco murray, dez Bryant, romo, and terrance Williams. all of which are superior to what we are trotting out there

dallas also has demarco murray, dez Bryant, romo, and terrance Williams. all of which are superior to what we are trotting out there

When the Jets had a dominant oline they had Sanchez, Jones, Cotchery, Keller, Stuckey, Braylon. That's a pretty poor skill group, yet the offense was at least passable because of the guys up front.

Archived