Is this worse then the 1996 Jets?

BurnleyJet

Couple of answers.

First, we knew that Hess' days were numbered, he was a desperate old man and we knew that he'd eventually die and we'd have a second shot with a new guy. Took the edge off of the '95 and '96 disasters.

Second, this feels worse than the Kotite era because we actually have been a very good team for a very long time. From 1997 to 2011 with a healthy quarterback the New York Jets averaged 9.5 wins per season. In a 15 year span netting out the Testaverde and Pennington devastating injuries, the Jets were in the Division hunt or the Wildcard hunt every year. It was our 'golden age', a time where someone born in 1989 only knew the Jets as an above average NFL team, a lot more like the Yankees than the Mets.

So now that we're back at rock-bottom it's a jolt to those under 30 because they don't know the Jets to be this bad. And that yo-yo of every-other-year being a 10 win team or a 4 win team has been exhausting. And every time we swap QB's or HC's its magic and we re-emerge as a playoff contender. The wheels are so far off the bus there's no getting back there quickly. We're in for a long haul and its looking very bleak. Look at the Bills. Look at the Dolphins. They each had their 10 year runs, they've made the playoffs 5 times combined since Marino and Kelly hung 'em up.

SAR I

Couple of answers.

First, we knew that Hess' days were numbered, he was a desperate old man and we knew that he'd eventually die and we'd have a second shot with a new guy. Took the edge off of the '95 and '96 disasters.

Second, this feels worse than the Kotite era because we actually have been a very good team for a very long time. From 1997 to 2011 with a healthy quarterback the New York Jets averaged 9.5 wins per season. In a 15 year span netting out the Testaverde and Pennington devastating injuries, the Jets were in the Division hunt or the Wildcard hunt every year. It was our 'golden age', a time where someone born in 1989 only knew the Jets as an above average NFL team, a lot more like the Yankees than the Mets.

So now that we're back at rock-bottom it's a jolt to those under 30 because they don't know the Jets to be this bad. And that yo-yo of every-other-year being a 10 win team or a 4 win team has been exhausting. And every time we swap QB's or HC's its magic and we re-emerge as a playoff contender. The wheels are so far off the bus there's no getting back there quickly. We're in for a long haul and its looking very bleak. Look at the Bills. Look at the Dolphins. They each had their 10 year runs, they've made the playoffs 5 times combined since Marino and Kelly hung 'em up.

SAR I

good post--"spoiled by chad pennington" a thing only jets fans can say lol

This worse because Hess at long last recognized he needed to blow it up and bring in a real football guys. Johnson still has Terry Bradway in a corner office for a decade and half. He's not gonna blow it up.

He should  fire everyone 1/1/15 and call up a young guy like Gamble or Ross and let them earn a name for themselves. Idizk is a bean-couting joke.

The problem with blowing it up and putting real football guys in place is finding the guy worthy of taking over after the blow up.  I would certainly be willing to hand over the reigns to Harbaugh but I'm not sure who else I would feel comfortable handing over that much responsibility.

The problem with blowing it up and putting real football guys in place is finding the guy worthy of taking over after the blow up.  I would certainly be willing to hand over the reigns to Harbaugh but I'm not sure who else I would feel comfortable handing over that much responsibility.

True. But I'm sure that the current Bradway/Idzik decision makers are no good.

A sensible owner would go back to 2 years ago and see who among the young guys was the smartest. Suspect again it would be Gamble or Ross. Would want a young guy who wants the job and wants to do the job. But the problem again is you cannot trust Johnson at all; he just wasted 2years for nothing. And smart people don't want to work for him.

True. But I'm sure that the current Bradway/Idzik decision makers are no good.

A sensible owner would go back to 2 years ago and see who among the young guys was the smartest. Suspect again it would be Gamble or Ross. Would want a young guy who wants the job and wants to do the job. But the problem again is you cannot trust Johnson at all; he just wasted 2years for nothing. And smart people don't want to work for him.

Smart people not wanting to work for him is likely true -  which is almost why we need someone VERY good that will command full autonomy with a huge contract basically making this guy untouchable by Woody.  The thing is, Woody is going to have to give up control to do it.  I'm not sure he's ready to do so - which will mean another 3-4 seasons of a first time HC  and ineptitude.

I remember watching the first game of the 96 season against Denver and 10 minutes into it realizing that this team may not win a game the whole season.  They were that bad.

I remember watching the first game of the 97 season where the Jets beat up Seattle like 41-3 or something.  Bill Parcells leaving the Jets was such a curse. 

Archived