Rex Thinks Refs Protected Roethlisberger More Than Vick

flgreen

On the play right before Vick's 15 yarder, Gay basically jumped on top of him with his arms out after Vick was down and well after the whistle; no call despite the refs being right there. I understand what Vick did was a penalty but at a loss how Gay was not flagged or even ejected. it was a blatant attempt to injure. I have no great love for Ryan but in this he was correct.

Indignant? Tantrums is a fair word, but when have I ever 'protested' anything on this site? I think you might be thinking of another poster. I've never gone out of my way to protest something or complain about something being unfair. By saying the NFL protects big name QBs is a statement of fact. It's not complaining. You, I, and everyone in their right mind know 7 of 10 roughing the passers are going in Brady's direction when we play them. 

when the least disciplined team in the nfl plays anyone, i expect a lot of roughing calls.

The refs protect EVERY QB in the NFL except Jets QB's. Geno Smith got smashed in the knees a few weeks back and I was screaming for a penalty but none came even when he had to leave the game for a play. A few years back against Denver, Sanchez was simply crushed by a helmet leading Bronco LB and there was no call. I guess they must have been looking the other way.

So, the narrative has been updated from "back-to-back AFFC games" to "within striking distance".

Got it.

Eeking out meaningless wins to end the season on a high note is self-preservation. Not being able to instill urgency and the need to win from game 1, only to find a way to dig deep when the coach's ass is on the line is inexcusable. For everyone in this organization, players, execs and coaches alike.

According to you. It's either playoffs or its having the leagues worst record. What about when u make the playoffs n be one and done? All those wins now became meaningless, right? All those 18 wins in the 18-1 season Pats had were also meaningless, right?

"Got it".

According to you. It's either playoffs or its having the leagues worst record. What about when u make the playoffs n be one and done? All those wins now became meaningless, right? All those 18 wins in the 18-1 season Pats had were also meaningless, right?

"Got it".

You can't see past the top of your nose. Not my fault.

Maybe. Or maybe cuz I have dignity n hope the players do too. I don't enjoy 1-15 seasons. Maybe you do. How is your username "integrity"?

I typed it in when I signed up, pretty simple really. Integrity28 is an homage to Curtis Martin. It's not a declaration, promise or parameter I've given myself for how I post. Dumb question and not the dig against me you want it to be.

1-15 is a means to an end. I don't enjoy it, at all, but I'm not so selfish that I need 3-4 wins to make me feel good. I can live with being cheated out of a couple cheap, meaningless wins if it serves the greater good of the organization. That greater good is purging every level of leadership the Jets employ right now. I'm a fan of this team, not the insufficient lame-brained dolts they hire to screw the fans over year after year.

1-15 is a means to an end. I don't enjoy it, at all, but I'm not so selfish that I need 3-4 wins to make me feel good. I can live with being cheated out of a couple cheap, meaningless wins if it serves the greater good of the organization

This makes the ultimate amount of sense!!!!!!!!!!

I typed it in when I signed up, pretty simple really. Integrity28 is an homage to Curtis Martin. It's not a declaration, promise or parameter I've given myself for how I post. Dumb question and not the dig against me you want it to be.

1-15 is a means to an end. I don't enjoy it, at all, but I'm not so selfish that I need 3-4 wins to make me feel good. I can live with being cheated out of a couple cheap, meaningless wins if it serves the greater good of the organization. That greater good is purging every level of leadership the Jets employ right now. I'm a fan of this team, not the insufficient lame-brained dolts they hire to screw the fans over year after year.

And what happens when if we go 1-15, draft Mariota (or Winston) and he turns out to be the next Jamarcus Russell? Its a draft. Nothing is guaranteed, but at 1-15, you're all but guaranteed one of the worst season in the franchise history ever, if not the worst.

And what happens when if we go 1-15, draft Mariota (or Winston) and he turns out to be the next Jamarcus Russell? Its a draft. Nothing is guaranteed, but at 1-15, you're all but guaranteed one of the worst season in the franchise history ever, if not the worst.

SMH stop asking stupid questions

Mr. Integrity who has no integrity and when his sh*t gets handed to him, the questions become stupid. Great.

"Got it".

"What happens when Mariota becomes the next Jamarcus Russell?" is a stupid question. Probably the dumbest thing I've seen posted this week. It is a hypothetical, I never said Mariota has to be the guy, I said better odds of getting a franchise-changing draft pick in the top 5, and I could easily bounce "what happens when Mariota becomes the next Andrew Luck?" back at you. So, calling it a stupid question isn't "getting my sh*t handed to me", it is shrugging off a stupid question rather than taking the time (that I just now took) to explain the facets of stupidity.

Again, you'll have to find better material than "integrity has no integrity" if you want to get under my skin. Actually, given that this is the best you've come up with, I sincerely doubt you have a shot.

"What happens when Mariota becomes the next Jamarcus Russell?" is a stupid question. Probably the dumbest thing I've seen posted this week. It is a hypothetical, I never said Mariota has to be the guy, I said better odds of getting a franchise-changing draft pick in the top 5, and I could easily bounce "what happens when Mariota becomes the next Andrew Luck?" back at you. 

Top 5 draft pick doesn't improve your chances of getting a franchise QB. There is no guaranteed prospect thats worthy of a #1 right now. Draft is a load of crapshoot. There is no statistical evidence of that. Here are all the PBs from the past 15 drafts, starting with the Manning draft.

post-27457-0-60399400-1415730238_thumb.j

57% pro bowlers in the first 5 picks in the last 15 years. 51% PBs in the next 5 picks, or 86 PBs in the next 141 picks outside of the first 5 (61%). It comes down to scouting, not having a top 5 pick.

So, calling it a stupid question isn't "getting my sh*t handed to me"...

Let me rephrase my "stupid question", which makes perfect sense in a rational world you don't live in. Can Mariota or Winston become as successful as Luck? Certainly. Can they become as much a bust as J. Russell? Certainly. 

... it is shrugging off a stupid question rather than taking the time (that I just now took) to explain the facets of stupidity.

Again, you'll have to find better material than "integrity has no integrity" if you want to get under my skin. Actually, given that this is the best you've come up with, I sincerely doubt you have a shot.

Im not even remotely trying to get under your skin.  But seems like I did. 

I want the Jets to win. You, on the other hand, want to lose out so we can a top 5 pick and draft. You probably wish that every yr, cuz lets face it, this Jets roster is not winning a SB in the next couple of yrs (possibly longer) and no SB victory means its a lost season and we should tank. I guess piling up those top 5 draft picks is where you get your most excitement from.

Top 5 draft pick doesn't improve your chances of getting a franchise QB. There is no guaranteed prospect thats worthy of a #1 right now. Draft is a load of crapshoot. There is no statistical evidence of that. Here are all the PBs from the past 15 drafts, starting with the Manning draft.

attachicon.gifPBs.jpg

57% pro bowlers in the first 5 picks in the last 15 years. 51% PBs in the next 5 picks, or 86 PBs in the next 141 picks outside of the first 5 (61%). It comes down to scouting, not having a top 5 pick.

Let me rephrase my "stupid question", which makes perfect sense in a rational world you don't live in. Can Mariota or Winston become as successful as Luck? Certainly. Can they become as much a bust as J. Russell? Certainly. 

Im not even remotely trying to get under your skin.  But seems like I did. 

I want the Jets to win. You, on the other hand, want to lose out so we can a top 5 pick and draft. You probably wish that every yr, cuz lets face it, this Jets roster is not winning a SB in the next couple of yrs (possibly longer) and no SB victory means its a lost season and we should tank. I guess piling up those top 5 draft picks is where you get your most excitement from.

Your "rephrase" pretty much proves it was a stupid question, and why it makes no sense in a rational world. 

Anyway, I'll play ball here... you are are responding like I said "improves odds of getting a franchise QB", but what I actually said was "improves odds of getting a franchise changing player", which, when unpack as a statement basically translates to: the higher you draft, the better the the prospect. It's actually a pretty benign statement, to be honest. 

You say this: 

I said, rather than winning 3-4 games, I'd rather lose out. Losing out gives us a top 5 pick, or a 57% chance at a pro bowler. Winning 3-4 games, puts us in that next 5 picks or later, or 51% chance at a pro bowler.

So, statistically, the odds favor my argument. What your stats do not actually illustrate is what positions we're talking about. To me, with the way the NFL is today, I feel that 3 positions can re-define your franchise. QB, WR and OT. These are the 3 most integral positions when it comes to putting points on the board, and if you have a shot at a bluechip prospect, that can help you dominate for 10 years, then that is far more valuable than 3-4 empty wins.

Like I said earlier, I see losing out, which leads to replacing the "braintrust" and getting a chance at a bluechip player as a Jets win. Not on the field, but when the team has 1-2 wins it is all about the long view, not the immediate gratification that you are having a tantrum over.

I can appreciate that you always want to root for our team to win. It just isn't logical at this point. You play checkers, I play chess. You can probably get over it if you try.

attachicon.gifPBs.jpg

Can you do this broken down by position?  I'm betting that certain positions are more likely to result in probowlers taken high than others.  For example, I bet getting a probowl QB is a LOT harder, especially in the AFC, where guys like Manning and Brady have a strangehold on the top two spots in the voting every year.

Can you do this broken down by position?  I'm betting that certain positions are more likely to result in probowlers taken high than others.  For example, I bet getting a probowl QB is a LOT harder, especially in the AFC, where guys like Manning and Brady have a strangehold on the top two spots in the voting every year.

True, but Brady rarely plays in the PB. Next up QB gets credited with a PB appearance and so does Brady. So technically there can be 5-6 PB QBs each division due to injuries, or risk of injuries etc. 

Your "rephrase" pretty much proves it was a stupid question, and why it makes no sense in a rational world. 

Anyway, I'll play ball here... you are are responding like I said "improves odds of getting a franchise QB", but what I actually said was "improves odds of getting a franchise changing player", which, when unpack as a statement basically translates to: the higher you draft, the better the the prospect. It's actually a pretty benign statement, to be honest. 

You say this: 

I said, rather than winning 3-4 games, I'd rather lose out. Losing out gives us a top 5 pick, or a 57% chance at a pro bowler. Winning 3-4 games, puts us in that next 5 picks or later, or 51% chance at a pro bowler.

So, statistically, the odds favor my argument. What your stats do not actually illustrate is what positions we're talking about. To me, with the way the NFL is today, I feel that 3 positions can re-define your franchise. QB, WR and OT. These are the 3 most integral positions when it comes to putting points on the board, and if you have a shot at a bluechip prospect, that can help you dominate for 10 years, then that is far more valuable than 3-4 empty wins.

Like I said earlier, I see losing out, which leads to replacing the "braintrust" and getting a chance at a bluechip player as a Jets win. Not on the field, but when the team has 1-2 wins it is all about the long view, not the immediate gratification that you are having a tantrum over.

I can appreciate that you always want to root for our team to win. It just isn't logical at this point. You play checkers, I play chess. You can probably get over it if you try.

Why don't top 5 picks always pan out as PBs? They are supposed to be elite. Because of bad scouting, mostly. 57% against 51% (or the 60% I showed) is hardly anything to write home about. 

I think you and I can both agree QB is the most important of the 3 positions u mentioned (which I agree with, so I'll give u that). Here's where current group of top starting QBs were drafted:

Carson Palmer - 1st overall

Matt Ryan - 3

Joe Flacco - 18

Andy Dalton - 35

Tony Romo - UDFA

P. Manning - 1

Matt Stafford - 1

Aaron Rodgers - 24

Andrew Luck - 1

Tom Brady - 199

Drew Brees - 32

Eli Manning - 1

Ben Roethlisberger - 11

Rivers - 4

Kaepernick - 36

Russell Wilson - 75

Then theres Vick (1), Cam (1), Alex Smith (1), Cutler (11), Foles (88) Tannehill (8) and Kyle Orton (106). 

A lot of top 5 picks. But mostly outside of the top half of the first round. Its not about the tope 5 or tope 10 pick. Its who and how u scout. And some Luck...

Archived